VGC Hydreigon Hell [Rate My VGC Team]

Hydreigon Hell!

The overall goal of this team is to hit hard and get the battle over with in just a few minutes. Both Azumarill and Tyranitar could sweep unprepared teams after they set up and Hydreigon hits almost everything hard with Choice Specs. Manectric and Amoonguss bring great support to my three sweepers and Aegislash is a good switch in to most of their weaknesses.

Manectric works well with anyone in my team. It redirects electric attacks from Azumarill and can do serious damage to Grass types that might threaten it. With Intimidate, it can help anyone in my team take a physical hit and they can then retaliate back. It can take on some dragons that might threaten Hydreigon and gets rid of Talonflame that threaten Amoonguss.

Team at a glance:

Changes in red.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 155 HP / 252 SAtk / 101 Spe
Nature: Modest
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Flash Cannon

Hydreigon has always been one of my favorite dragons. It has an awesome design, good stats, and hits like a truck. With Choice Specs, Hydreigon is able to KO 4 HP Mega Kangaskhan most of the time (87.5% chance to KO) and is able to KO Rotom as well as many other common Pokémon. 196 EV's in HP allow Hydreigon to take a Dragon Claw from Garchomp even without Intimidate support and his defenses appreciate them. The HP EV's also allows it to take a Return from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and it KO’s back with Draco Meteor. The remaining EV's were dumped into Speed just so it wouldn’t be too slow. My Hydreigon is faster than base 70's and Timid Tyranitar.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Belly Drum
Protect /
Waterfall (?)

Although Hydreigon is able to take on Garchomp (without Focus Sash) it still has trouble against Salamence. Since Salamence is so common, I would have to find a fairy to switch into its Draco Meteors. That's when I found Azumarill, who not only gets the KO on Salamence, but also helps against Tyranitar, who is a huge threat to this team. I have to say that I prefer Belly Drum Azumarill over a bulky physical sweeper one, which I was using. Once Azumarill sets up it wrecks teams that aren't prepared. The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed base 70 Pokemon and below, while an Adamant nature gives it as much power as possible.
Should I keep Protect or go with Waterfall on this set?

-->

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod --> Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
Volt Switch
Flamethrower
Hidden Power [Ice]
Protect

To increase Hydreigon's and Azumarill's survivability, I decided to use Mega Manectric. Manectric not only has Lightningrod, allowing it to redirect electric attacks that might be aimed at Azumarill, but it also has Intimidate when it mega evolves. Volt Switch allows me to spam Intimidate, which I often take advantage of. It makes Hydreigon even bulkier on the physical side, allowing it to take up to five spread Rock Slides from max Attack Tyranitar. I decided to go with a max Speed Manectric because it allows me to outspeed Garchomp turn 1. Mega Manectric has about a 50/50 chance of getting the KO on Garchomp with HP Ice, preventing Garchomp from damaging Hydreigon.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP/ 76 SpD / 180 SpA
IV's: 0 Spe
Nature: Quiet
King’s Shield
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Wide Guard

Aegislash’s main purpose on my team is to get rid of any Fairy-types that might threaten Hydreigon. Gardevoir in particular was the fairy I was worried about. Gardevoir not only KO's Hydreigon but it does a ton of damage to the rest of my team. Aegislash is also a good switch in to Salamence in cases where I don't have Azumarill and is a good check for the common Mega Kangaskhan + Salamence lead. This set also appreciates Trick Room, so Aegislash can outspeed and get rid of many threats. Quiet Nature and 0 Speed IV's is used for this reason. Switched Substitute for Wide Guard to help set up Tyranitar & Azumarill.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 184 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Crunch
Rock Slide
Dragon Dance
Protect

Honestly, Dragon Dance Tyranitar is used as a second option whenever I know that I won't be able to use Hydreigon. Tyranitar pairs well with Mega Manectric because it could take out Mega Manectric's biggest nightmare: Rotom-Heat. Mega Manectric's Intimidate combined with Sandstorm would also allow Tyranitar to take most super effective hits. When I predict Tyranitar to be hit by a super effective hit, I often go for the Dragon Dance and then try to finish the game. Chose Jolly > Adamant since with 184 EV's in Speed, I can outspeed base maxspeed Jolly Garchomp after a D-Dance. Rest went into HP & Attack.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 62 Defense/ 196 SDef
Nature: Sassy
Spore
Rage Powder
Giga Drain
Protect

Amoonguss is the last member of my team who is often used to redirect moves to itself. Amoongus redirects Will-O-Wisps headed towards Tyranitar and Azumarill and it also redirects Draco Meteors headed towards Hydreigon. The Special Defense EV's allow my Amoongus to survive an Overheat from max Special Attack Rotom-Heat while the rest of EV's were just dumped in Defense and HP.

Type Weaknesses/Resistances:
(not 100% accurate)

Previous teammates:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall/Belly Drum
- Protect

Thank-you for viewing my team. Please take the time to criticize and rate it.

Last edited:
Hi, your team as a whole is very solid, however there are a few minor changes I would make. Firstly, I would run 220 Speed EVs on Hydreigon to outspeed max Speed Mamoswine and Gardevoir, both of which are fairly large problems to your team. Even if you do not change it to that exact amount of Speed I would recommend that you at least run some more Speed EVs, as outside of Mega Manectric your team is fairly slow. Protect is far more useful on Azumarill than Waterfall, as at +6 it will be a very large target for your opponent. Overheat is a better option than Flamethrower on Mega Manectric, especially as you are running Volt Switch. Overheat, importantly, OHKOes not specially defensive Mega Mawile something Flamethrower fails to do. Wide Guard on Aegislash helps you set up with Tyranitar by blocking Earthquakes, and Azumarill to a lesser extent. However, if you do choose to keep Substitute on Aegislash change the EV spread to 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD this insures that you can survive a Heat Wave from Modest Mega Charizard Y in the sun. I would test Lum Berry on Tyranitar to help with Rotom-H, as your team lacks a proper way to deal with Rotom-H. If you don't choose to run Wide Guard on Aegislash, I would run a Jolly natured Tyranitar to outspeed Garchomp at +1 rather than speedtie with it. Hope I have helped.

Hi, your team as a whole is very solid, however there are a few minor changes I would make. Firstly, I would run 220 Speed EVs on Hydreigon to outspeed max Speed Mamoswine and Gardevoir, both of which are fairly large problems to your team. Even if you do not change it to that exact amount of Speed I would recommend that you at least run some more Speed EVs, as outside of Mega Manectric your team is fairly slow. Protect is far more useful on Azumarill than Waterfall, as at +6 it will be a very large target for your opponent. Overheat is a better option than Flamethrower on Mega Manectric, especially as you are running Volt Switch. Overheat, importantly, OHKOes not specially defensive Mega Mawile something Flamethrower fails to do. Wide Guard on Aegislash helps you set up with Tyranitar by blocking Earthquakes, and Azumarill to a lesser extent. However, if you do choose to keep Substitute on Aegislash change the EV spread to 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD this insures that you can survive a Heat Wave from Modest Mega Charizard Y in the sun. I would test Lum Berry on Tyranitar to help with Rotom-H, as your team lacks a proper way to deal with Rotom-H. If you don't choose to run Wide Guard on Aegislash, I would run a Jolly natured Tyranitar to outspeed Garchomp at +1 rather than speedtie with it. Hope I have helped.
Thanks for the reply/rate!
Do you think 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spe would be a better Ev spread for Hydreigon? With 116 EV's, the Speed stat would be 261 I believe. (Is there a tool that would easily tell me what Pokemon I outspeed if I were to just input "261" as the Speed value?) With 116 Speed EV's, Hydreigon is faster than neutral max Speed base 70's and max Speed Tyranitar, I know that. Also, were you saying to replace Substitute with Wide Guard?

I will take the rest of the rate into consideration and test :)

Last edited:
This is a very good team but if i had to make one change, do 0 IV's in speed for amoonguss and aegislash. This will allow you to counter TR teams easier because at the moment you seem to have a large problem with those

This is a very good team but if i had to make one change, do 0 IV's in speed for amoonguss and aegislash. This will allow you to counter TR teams easier because at the moment you seem to have a large problem with those
I have 0 Speed IV's on Aegislash, sorry.

Another option for your Aegislash over using Wide Guard is to use Air Balloon, which in someways can be more annoying. (I.e. switching in on EQs and other ground type attacks)

Another option for your Aegislash over using Wide Guard is to use Air Balloon, which in someways can be more annoying. (I.e. switching in on EQs and other ground type attacks)
Thanks, I'll test!
More rates greatly appreciated.

Bump.

Should I do Jolly Tyranitar instead of Adamant since I'll keep Substitute on my Aegislash opposed to Wide Guard in order to outspeed Garchomp at +1 rather than speedtie with it?
Also, should I keep Aeg's EV spread or change it to 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD (to survive a Heat Wave from Modest Mega Charizard Y in the sun)?

Edit: Going with Jolly T-Tar. Do you think 184 EV's in Speed will suffice? Will outspeed Garchomp after a D-Dance. Rest of the EV's will go to HP & Attack, I guess.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)