Hydreigon [QC 2/3]

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

QC: Theorymon / cant say / --
GP: -- / --

[OVERVIEW]

Hydreigon is an effective special attacker in the singles metagame as an answer to common Pokemon such as Aegislash, Cresselia, and Rotom. Its typing, movepool, power, and speed give it the tools it needs to be somewhat versatile and make it a good user of both Choice Specs and Choice Scarf, allowing it be effective against both defensive and offensive teams.

Hydreigon does have its weaknesses however, as its good base 98 speed falls short of outspeeding boosted Pokemon in the base 100 club and its reliance on Choice items gives it a predictability that can be taken advantage of to give the opponent a free turn. Fairy Pokemon also give any of Hydreigon's sets a lot of trouble.

Hydreigon greatly relies on team matchup, so knowledge of team archetypes and common sets to make smart decisions during the team preview phase is key to its success.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Earth Power
move 4: Flash Cannon / U-turn / Earth Power
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
As this is a Choice Specs set, naturally all four moves are attacks. Draco Meteor is the main move that can OHKO or 2HKO most Pokemon that don't resist it. Dark Pulse is another powerful STAB attack that does not lower special attack and can be used more often. As both of these moves are ineffective against Fairy-types, the final two moveslots are used to deal with them. Flamethrower and Fire Blast destroy Steel-typed Fairies such as Mawile and Klefki, as well as Bisharp. Earth Power deals with these Pokemon as well as Heatran and Tyranitar, while getting neutral damage on Azumarill. However, it can leave you open to a Flying-type or Levitate switch-in. In the final slot, Flash Cannon can be used to get super effective hits on some Fairies, and neutral damage on others. U-turn is an alternative option to switch out to a teammate who can deal with a Fairy. Earth Power can also be used for this slot, as having both Earth Power and a fire move is not a bad idea. Finally, Focus Blast can be used to break through Porygon2, although it has few other uses and is ineffective against Fairies.

Set Details
========
The EVs are very straightforward. 252 Special Attack makes it hit as hard as possible and 252 Speed to make the most of its speed tier. The final 4 EVs are put into Special Defense so that a Porygon2 with Download will get an Attack boost. The Choice Specs increases its special attack to extremely high levels, to the point where it is able to OHKO Rotom with Draco Meteor, or OHKO Aegislash with Dark Pulse, even in shield form.

A set similar to this, but with Life Orb as the item and Roost for the last move is also usable, although it lacks significant power compared to Choice Specs. The advantage of it is that it is able to switch moves, giving fewer opportunities for Pokemon to come in on a locked move and get a free turn.

Usage Tips
========
This set is primarily a wallbreaker, to be used against more defensive teams or slower bulky offense teams. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are the moves that should be used most often. Draco Meteor will OHKO almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. However, due to it dropping Hydreigon's special attack, Dark Pulse is the safer option, that usually 2HKOs Pokemon that do not resist it. Fire-type moves are useful against Pokemon such as Mawile, Klefki, and Bisharp, although it can be a good choice to use Dark Pulse against Steel-types that do not resist Dark, as Dark Pulse is generally a better move to get locked into. Flash Cannon and U-turn must be used with prediction, generally when you expect your opponent to bring in a Fairy. Using them incorrectly can create a disadvantageous situation, as Flash Cannon does not give good neutral coverage and forcing a switch can cause a teammate to take damage.

Team Options
========
Venusaur is a good partner for Hydreigon with U-turn, as it can defeat most Fairy-types. Aegislash has perfect type synergy with Hydreigon and can also deal with Fairies. Kangaskhan is a good partner to almost every Pokemon and can potentially sweep once bulky physically defensive threats are removed by Hydreigon. Azumarill and Talonflame also like having defensive threats such as Rotom-W removed. Finally, Pokemon that carry paralysis moves, such as Serperior, Ferrothorn, Rotom, and Cresselia, are useful as they guarantee Hydreigon will outspeed threats.

[SET]

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Earth Power
move 4: U-turn / Dragon Pulse / Flash Cannon / Focus Blast
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
The moves for Choice Scarf are almost identical to the moves for Choice Specs. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are again the two main STAB moves, with Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Earth Power as a coverage move. The last slot is a toss up between U-turn, Dragon Pulse, Flash Cannon, and Focus Blast. U-turn can be used to switch to a partner against Fairies, and Flash Cannon can be used to damage them instead. Dragon Pulse is an option on this set to potentially sweep a weakened team, as it has great neutral coverage and does not lower special attack like Draco Meteor. Focus Blast is an option almost exclusively for Porygon2, as it 2HKOs it.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize speed and special attack to outspeed threats and take them out. Once again, 4 EVs are used in Special Defense to stop Download Porygon2. Unlike Choice Specs,
-Same EVs because it's supposed to be fast and strong
-4 EVs for SpD once again for Porygon2
-Has more speed than normal, so it can outspeed most megas and other unboosted Pokemon and kill them

Usage Tips
========
-Don't use Draco Meteor too often early because it can cost momentum and unlike specs it won't always KO.
-It outspeeds fast Pokemon like megas and other sweepers and can revenge them
-Resists Sucker Punch which is ossim meaning it can revenge Kanga cuz I hear kanga is kind of a big deal
-Also beats non-scarf Garchomp I hear Garchomp is a guy too
-Not good against stall teams, so don't use it against those. If you see a Chansey or Tyranitar do not bring. It can still beat Cresselia though.
-Modest vs. Timid: Modest gives power but Timid is needed to outspeed Landorus-T with a scarf, and Adamant Charizard-X at +1.

Team Options
========
-same teammates as usual
-Pokemon that like having fast Pokemon like Kangaskhan and Garchomp removed which is like everyone
-Better fit for offensive teams
-Pokemon that can take care of defensive teams, like Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
-Dragon Pulse is an option on Specs sets to deal Dragon damage without having to lower SpA but Dark Pulse gets enough coverage for the most part and it's hard to replace another move
-Assault Vest is an option to make it a better check to Rotoms and Heatran but again it likes having the power and doesn't need to be switching into these guys all that much
-Physical moves like Superpower and Iron Tail can be used but generally you wanna use Special moves
-Hidden Power can be used to hit Azumarill, but it's not really that great.
-Tailwind is an option to support team when not using Choice sets.

Checks & Counters
===================
-Generally you won't defensively check it, but offensively check it. Except for Chansey, she can defensively check it
-Azumarill is a fairy that can OHKO it, resists pretty much everything except Flash Cannon but with Assault Vest it's not doing much
-Sylveon too, with that high SpD Flash Cannon needs to hit a few times
-Goodra can come in on anything except Draco Meteor
-Conkeldurr with Assault Vest can come in on non-Draco Meteor moves and revenge kill. Mach Punch has priority
-Garchomp with Scarf can outspeed and with Focus Sash can survive any hit and kill
-Specs sets are ruined by faster Pokemon like Kanga, Lopunny, Lucario, etc.
-Scarf sets still lose to priority except for Sucker Punch
-Blaziken is a surefire counter as its Speed Boosts will mean it can outspeed even Scarf Hydreigon. However, only mega will be able to outspeed, regular Blazikens will still be slower. Also Scolipede and Sharpedo can Speed Boost and are strong
-Greninja, Weavile, Mamoswine can kill with Ice
-Play around with Choice lock

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Way to CP NixHex's Sylveon analysis, I was reading this half-attentively and was like wait, what? Why use Hyper Voice?? o_0

For the ever annoying Porygon2, I would recommend the 4 leftover EVs go into SpD so the piece of crap gets an attack boost (how long until people catch on to all these 4SpD mons and start using physical Download P2? lol).

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is ready for QC checks. I'm not too familiar with the Scarf set as I pretty much only ever use Specs, so what I have there isn't really much besides the obvious.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright time to nitpick!

• In the overview, mention how its offensive typing is pretty damn good: Thanks to its Dark-typing, it can blast through some annoying prominent mons like Cresselia and Aegislash.
  • We talked about this on IRC, but Life Orb is better than other options for sure, and its usage has been rising a bit every season (this season is still young). I'm not sure if it should be a separate set, slashed in with Specs, or just mentioned on Specs. Regardless: Not being locked into choice can make Hydreigon a lot harder to manage for slower mons like Mega Mawile, which is huge!
  • If LO gets a seperate set, Roost should probably be slashed in, since it takes advantage of Hydiregon's ok bulk and helps with the recoil.
  • On Specs, mention that Earthpower is mostly aiming to maul Heatran and do ok damage to Azumarill and Tyranitar switch-ins in one move. Does run into issues with Landorus-T and Gengar compared to Flamethrower though.
  • For teammates for Specs / LO, mention paraylsis support: A lot of Hydreigon checks go toppling down when they're paralyzed! Good mons for this are: Serperior (who can also hit Azumarill hard), Ferrothorn, Cresselia, Rotom-W, etc.
  • On all the sets, mentioning Focus Blast in set coments isnt a bad idea: It's actually fairly high in usage stats, mostly because it smashes Tyranitar, who can survive the other stuff. Also, with Specs / LO. it hits Porygon2 REALLY hard (an easy 2HKO actually). Hell, SCARF can 2HKO Porygon2 with Focus Blast, and Focus Blast + Draco beats Porygon2 when using the LO set @_@
  • Other Options stuff to consider: Hidden Power Electric / Grass / Poison (hits Azumarill harder but little else), also Tailwind.
  • In counters, Mega Blaziken deserves special mention because Speed Boost even ruins Scarf sets.
Scarf stuff (since you aren't experienced with it)
  • On Scarf usage tips, I'd talk about how Draco Meteor can make Hydreigon into set up bait if you use it too early, so usually Draco stuff early game if you need it to revenge or have something to stop your opponent's sweeper.
  • Scarf doesn't work too well vs stall teams, which usually have Chansey and Tyranitar, so bench it if you encounter those.
  • Something neat about Scarf is that it 2HKOs Cresselia thanks to STAB Dark Pulse, which is pretty unique for a scarfer!
  • Might want to slash in Timid. You lose KOs, but it also gurantees that you outspeed Scarf Landorus-T, and even lets you outspeed Adamant Mega Charizard X.
  • Teammate wise, you should probably mention stuff that gives defensive mons problems.The usual suspects like Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, etc.

Hulavuta

Wow, ok I took a huge-ass break but I'm back to work on these.

Theorymon I put in your changes. The slashing was kind of difficult to let me know what you think about all that.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good to me. Sorry for not checking on Tuesday, that was during E3 MADNESS! That's chilling out now though. (also gives me time to work on my stuff again lol)

QC Approved 1/3

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would maybe put Conkeldurr in C&C. Switching in is pretty tough since Specs Draco Meteor will 2HKO, but it's a really solid revenge killer and can tank every other move well thanks to Assault Vest. Garchomp can also be annoying for the Scarf set since half of them are either Sash or Scarf themselves so they'll either survive a hit and OHKO or straight up outspeed you, he doesn't care about the specs / LO set either.

Blaziken could be put under the banner of Speed Boosters and include Scolipede and maybe Sharpedo. Scoli can OHKO with Megahorn and can use Hydra as set up / Baton Pass fodder. Sharpedo isn't as good but can 2HKO with Ice Fang / Beam (whichever spectrum it hits from). I think Hydra just hates Focus Sash mons in general so maybe include a few popular users of them (Greninja, Weaville, Mamoswine can all do crazy damage with their Ice move and finish off with priority)

i would mention taunt in OO for non choiced sets. it can help hydrei deal with some defensive pokemon easier like suicune and kinda p2.

for the specs set, it might be worth mentioning that if a team doesnt have a fairy type its usually pretty safe to just click draco as even things that resist it normally take a lot of damage anyway(plus things that resist it are scared to switch in because of hydrei's coverage moves) and its essentially your go-to nuke button.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
If you could write out the C&C's so we can at least see the headings for each counter then that would be sweet. Otherwise…

2/3

edit: should have updated the thread title then >.<

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I remember seeing a set with Thunder Wave/Dark Pulse/Taunt/Roost @ Rocky Helmet and it may be worth noting somewhere. It trashes stall teams, checks Kangaskhan + Aegislash, Suicune, and Landorus-T (well regular Hydreigon can do this but this one's way bulkier). EVs: 252 HP/252 def, Bold (you need this much defense to survive Fake Out + DE from Kanga).

Hulavuta

Yeah, I'm sorry guys but I'm dropping this. I hate to drop it when I'm so close to finished, but with an entire month with no progress I just realize I'm too busy to get back to work on this for a while. Most of my information is probably outdated by now and I haven't been using Hydreigon on any of my recent teams so I don't think I could finish it anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)