Pokémon Hydreigon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite pokemon ever i hate the fairy type my moveset is draco meteor fire blast surf and focus blast. Item would be life orb.

My favorite pokemon ever i hate the fairy type my moveset is draco meteor fire blast surf and focus blast. Item would be life orb.
Surf and focus blast are redundant on hydreigon, as both of them aim to target tyranitar and heatran. You could use roost over one, and dark pulse on the other, to attain great neutral coverage and recovery.

Naote="MegaHydra, post: 5662418, mer: 238103"]My favorite pokemon ever i hate the fairy type my moveset is draco meteor fire blast surf and focus blast. Item would be life orb.[/quote]
Nat
Surf and focus blast are redundant on hydreigon, as both of them aim to target tyranitar and heatran. You could use roost over one, and dark pulse on the other, to attain great neutral coverage and recovery.
Dark pulse is uesless surf is type coverage focus blast 4 other dark types

Dark pulse is uesless surf is type coverage focus blast 4 other dark types
How is dark pulse useless? It's STAB that keeps your attacking stat intact and has great neutral coverage.

Please tell me what is hit harder by surf than earth power/focus blast.

Who usess earth power dark pulse is took predictable
Please form an actual answer to my arguments. "no one uses earth power" is a useless argument when discussing the merits of earth power.

How is dark pulse any more predictable than fire blast or Draco meteor?

I dont know its my set how would u change it
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- U-Turn

Draco is your standard nuke, Dark Pulse is for STAB and is a great spammable type since the dark buff, Fire Blast is to hit steels hard who expect a Draco, although Flamethrower can be used for accuracy and can sometimes be a better choice to apply constant pressure, and U-Turn is to maintain momentum.

As aforementioned, Surf only really hits Heatran and Tyranitar. It's pretty redundant. Dark Pulse does fine vs Heatran after the dark buff and U-Turn smacks TTar on its weaker defence and preserves that all-important momentum.

Some people prefer Dragon Pulse or Focus Blast over U-Turn. Dragon Pulse can be good when you really can't afford to miss a Draco. Focus Blast can totally nail TTar but it's not a good move to be Scarflocked into and can often be easily predicted at a hefty cost to momentum. For that reason, I much prefer U-Turn, and it gives Hydreigon some dangerous pivot capabilities.

I also prefer Rash nature over Modest because the extra U-Turn damage can be nifty, especially if Dark types like TTar try and switch in. I guess Mild could be used but Hydreigon's Mach Punch weakness is enough to warrant Rash IMO.

This is my personal favourite set - not to say it's the best or that other peoples' don't work. Still, avoid Surf. It just isn't that good in Gen VI.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fascinating how Salamance doesn't get a thread while Hydreigon gets one...
Hydreigon has a huge movepool, great mixed attacking stats, decent Speed, and decent bulk, and thus is able to be a pretty cool Life Orb wallbreaker. Additionally, thanks to U-Turn, in addition to its high powered moves, it can be an okay scarfer. Its main draw is nothing can do what it does; nothing has its combination of mixed offensive stats and great movepool. It's walled by Fairies and Chansey, but that can be worked around with team support. In short, it has two niches in OU, while Salamence doesn't, since it has no useful niches over Dragonite, Charizard-X, Gyarados, or Tyranitar as Dragon Dancers. Salamence isn't bad by any means, it just suffers to differentiate itself. Stats-wise, Hydreigon is worse, but it has no trouble actually differentiating itself from its competition.

Aside from the 6 year old shenanigans megahydra so generously brings to the thread, dark pulse should be on every set for it is chiefly what sets hydreigon apart from the Lati@s twins; along with its useful resistances and immunites. At this point in the gen 6 meta I would hope people would realize dark is an incredible attacking type to be locked into with the steel nerf. For a scarf/specs set, I would reccomend: U turn draco meteor fire blast and dark pulse. Naive/or Rash. U turn is the beauty of this set as hydreigon has plenty of switch in chances with the aforesaid immunites. A hydreigon/heatran/ghost core would be an excellent offensive core.

I like Hydreigon a lot, but its fame was short lived in gen 5. Im not saying pokemon with a 4x weakness are automatically bad, scizor, landorus, ferrothorn, etc. Superb pokemon, but the fact is Hydreigon can't beat many the majority of fairies running in OU. He's in UU where the only predominant fairy type is florges and he can't even beat it with flash cannon. Azumarill resist flash cannon coverage and is bulky enough to survive an attack and get a play rough off OHKOing him, clefable has CM sets that let it set up on him, while killing him with moon blast, Sylveon is bulky as hell and can kill with hyper voice, Mega gardevoir kills with hyper voice. Mega mawile kills with play rough, but he might be gone. all of those pokemon alone resist both of his stabs because of typing. Not just fairies, Hydreigon is outclassed by other dragon types in the tier. Dragonite with DD, Scarchomp, mega zard-x. Hydreigon is in no way a bad pokemon, his time in the spot light just ended with the arrival of fairies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like Hydreigon a lot, but its fame was short lived in gen 5. Im not saying pokemon with a 4x weakness are automatically bad, scizor, landorus, ferrothorn, etc. Superb pokemon, but the fact is Hydreigon can't beat many the majority of fairies running in OU. He's in UU where the only predominant fairy type is florges and he can't even beat it with flash cannon. Azumarill resist flash cannon coverage and is bulky enough to survive an attack and get a play rough off OHKOing him, clefable has CM sets that let it set up on him, while killing him with moon blast, Sylveon is bulky as hell and can kill with hyper voice, Mega gardevoir kills with hyper voice. Mega mawile kills with play rough, but he might be gone. all of those pokemon alone resist both of his stabs because of typing. Not just fairies, Hydreigon is outclassed by other dragon types in the tier. Dragonite with DD, Scarchomp, mega zard-x. Hydreigon is in no way a bad pokemon, his time in the spot light just ended with the arrival of fairies.
U-turn lets you act like a Fairy lure since pretty much every single one counters him. Pair him up with Scizor (for more U-turn shenanigans!), Bisharp, or Magnezone and have fun.

Hydreigon's issues are obvious:

- An awkward speed tier that forces it to run a Scarf to not get hit first by many powerful attackers
- No good setup moves to take advantage of its nice bulk and resistances (Okay, Calm Mind would not fit flavor-wise, but what about Nasty Plot? Voilá, instant niche)
- It cannot support outside of... well... U-Turn and Tailwind, and barely anything else
- Its weaknesses are few, but notable: All Fighting-type move users in the tier bar Mega-Heracross are faster or have priority, the most dangerous Dragon is faster and often runs Dragon Dance, and Fairies are a nightmare. Ice and Bug are not as common as in Gen V, but weaknesses to Ice Shard and U-Turn always hurt

Still, just like in Gen V, everything ends up pointing at the fact Hydreigon has no definite role. It wants to do everything but ends up doing nothing

The owner of this thread has been absent for a long time, and the OP is pretty inaccurate, so a new thread for Hydreigon would be optimal.
Let this post rest in peace, man
What happens to Salamence in November?
ORAS. You probably already figured it out
This is why I wish there was a way to trap Fairies the way Magnezone traps Steel-types. Just imagine it: Pull out Hydreigon, enemy pulls a Sylveon while you U-Turn to... a Metagross with 'Dark Wish' (Fairy trapping ability) and Bullet Punch and/or Meteor Mash. That shit will be the NWO right there

Last edited:
Or you could just predict the painfully obvious switch and use Flash Cannon (which is used on all the standard sets). Sylveon might be a bad example here (FC might not 2HKO) but it does 2HKO every other fairy. Hydreigon is its own fairy lure.

I'm not sure if fairies are the actual cause of Hydreigon's downfall because Hydreigon was falling near the end of gen 5 anyway. The real culprit is speed creep.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flash Cannon 2hkos standard defensive cleric sylveon.
best set for hydreigon is probs draco meteor, dark pulse, flash cannon, filler?

EDIT: calcs
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
oml someone please revamp this, tagging Aragorn the King

Or you could just predict the painfully obvious switch and use Flash Cannon (which is used on all the standard sets). Sylveon might be a bad example here (FC might not 2HKO) but it does 2HKO every other fairy. Hydreigon is its own fairy lure.

I'm not sure if fairies are the actual cause of Hydreigon's downfall because Hydreigon was falling near the end of gen 5 anyway. The real culprit is speed creep.
I'm pretty sure Iron Tail hits almost all the OU fairies harder than Flash Cannon (or you can simply U-Turn out)

Vs Clefable:
56 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 221-260 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
200 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Mega Gardevoir:
200 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
56 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 281-333 (101.4 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs Sylveon:
200 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 172-203 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
56 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 294-346 (75 - 88.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Roc

Vs BellyJet Azumarill:
200 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 129-152 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
56 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 125-147 (34.3 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

And I don't think I need to show the AV Azu or Mega Diancie calculations.

Tl, dr; Iron Tail hits fairies harder (although you can just U-Turn for momentum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)