1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Hydreigon's New Era

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by TheStriker, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TheStriker

TheStriker

Hydreigon

[​IMG]

Stats:

Notable Moves:

Overview:

Movesets

Counters and Checks

2. Porii Sames

Porii Sames

I've used Hydreigon quite a bit back in the olden days of BW1, and I LOVED Scarf Hyd, and I'd say Sub Hydreigon is probably the second best set. On Scarf, Dark Pulse hits almost nothing tbh. Your best bet is Draco Meteor/U-turn/Fire Blast/Focus Blast or Earth Power.

Excellent mon, and way underplayed in today's meta.
  3. ClubbingSealCub

ClubbingSealCub

OP is lacking Sub Hydreigon which, as Porii said, is an amazing set. I used it during BW1 and if you managed to get Chansey/Blissey out of the way, the opponent usually had to lose a poke taking out the sub.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest
    Sub | Dragon Pulse | Focus Blast / Earth Power | Fire Blast / Roost

EDIT: Hydreigon gets Outrage, so I see no reason to use Dragon Rush in the CB set
  4. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

I totally liked Sub Hydreigon in BW2 since it was a great counter to VolTurn; between Fire Blast/Rain boosted Surf(what I used)/dragon pulse/focus blast, it easily beat the annoying, omnipotent sand volturn.
    Counters for this set are Chansey/Blissey as CSC mentioned, but a Jellicent with some SpDef investment also stalls out Hydreigon if you lack Roost
  5. EtherDrive

EtherDrive

Front page of the creative and good movesets thread

6. Dukewarrior13

Dukewarrior13

Hi, I run an effective dark monotype team and I love using hydreigon! He has an incredible movepool and rather reasonable bulk. I am however fed up with having to make up for his rather average speed with choice scarf. What is the point of having that huge mnovepool if you are just locked into one? So i discovered that murkrow with prankster is a boss. With tailwind, hydreigon now can sweep effectivly. I just thought to mention this to give any one any ideas.
  7. Mephisto

Mephisto

I'm using him as a late game sweeper, and it's working quite right with the Special set, replacing Focus Blast with Superpower in case I need some physical presence against things like Chansey. I based my (first *blushes*) team on him since there's not much bulkiness going around, or at least there's less than before, and with the right support he is able to tear some holes apart with ease.

From my experience, I might add Gyarados as a check as it's bulky variant resist most of Hydreigon's attacks quite well, except for the rare Charge Beam at Special sets, while its rock moves at Physical sets are not shown that frequently and receives Intimidate.
  8. TheStriker

TheStriker

Tailwind could be useful. Genesect is now gone so December Stats Usage will have a dramatic bump to everything.
  9. Zeta5

Zeta5

Wow i had no idea that Hydreigon might have been sent to BL. Well its good to know he'll be staying :). Some people tend to underestimate Hydreigon a lot. I've had quite a number of people switch in Scizor on me thinking I cannot kill it.... he's a diverse pokemon that is extremely hard to fight at times. I hope that people will start to use him more often.. where's the love for the hydra at man?!

The set that I used is a white herb set. Sometimes it sucks but in key moments its extremely hard to fight a Hydreigon that can launch another Draco Meteor AND have luxury to switch up moves (Something specs can't do, though at the cost of less overall power). It also has a small perk of bluffing the choice item as well. Feel free to try it:

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
  10. Ryuuki

Ryuuki

The set I've been useing with some succes is

Hydreigon @ life orb
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Sp.atk / 4Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Superpower

yes this the mixed set but more focused on the special part. I use hasty over naive as physical attacks will kill me almost anyway. The extra special defence allows me to take some weak special attacks and hit back.

Switch in on something that cannot hurt you and hit the incomming pokemon hard and then run away when the revenge killer commes in.
    One thing with this set is that he don't live long enough to get more then 2 switch inns as the damage from stealth rocks and life orb wears you down pritty fast.

quite fun and underused pokemon so let's hope he can see the daylight once more.
  11. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I prefer Expert Belt mixed set over the Life Orb set.

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Sp.atk / 4Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse/Earthquake
    - Superpower

This set can bluff a choice set perfectly, while still netting some very unsuspecting KOs against Heatran and Blissey with just two Superpowers, and with Stealth Rock support it's even less. The best Pokemon to catch off guard is specially defensive T-Tar, because he is destroyed by Superpower. Although Hydreigon misses the power against non super effective pokes, being able to catch very annoying and dangerous Pokemon like Blissey, T-Tar and Heatran who can wall an entire team specially defensively, while the latter can also cause offensive pressure as well. Also, E Belt lacks recoil so Roost is unneeded. I prefer a +SpA nature over a positive speed nature, because the only thing I can really think of out speeding with a +Spe nature, is a Jolly Haxorus (which aren't very common anyway) and speed tying other +Spe Hydreigon, however relying on a speed tie isn't a very good idea anyway. The one key thing that I can see why running a +Spe nature would be more beneficial, is so you can outpace +Atk DD Salamence. Although it makes more since to run a +Atk nature on a Mence, I've seen so many +Spe DD Salamence out there that it would out speed you anyway.
  12. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

While Mix Hydreigon is great, Sub Hydreigon is still an amazing Pokemon. The coverage this set gets is pretty amazing and Substitute makes prediction much simpler. Focus Blast is nice for really hitting Tyranitar hard, but Earth Power is better for Heatran. Earthquake can also be used if you want mixed capabilities, and it makes Hydreigon a good CM rachi check while still hitting Tyranitar/Heatran hard.
  13. Ryuuki

Ryuuki

Yea the +spd nature is for outspeeding other dragons that run a +atk/sp.atk nature and life orb is used for giving me some of the power that I lost by using a +spd nature. But so far I've seen more +atk natures then +spd on the most hard hitting stuff, so you can outspeed them and hit hard before they can react. But I'll try expert belt and se how it work =)
  14. Mephisto

Mephisto

Use him exactly like this, except Dark Pulse is a must for my team, but I switch between Fire Blast / Earth Power, depending on the day. I prefer FB to deal with unsuspecting Scizors (they like to switch in on mine), as well as making Ferro/Forry lifes shorter while taking advantage of Sun Teams, but if I'm facing too many Rainy Teams, or feeling terribly unlucky, I switch into EP. I should try Focus Blast / Earthquake.

Other nice thing to mention is that Expert Belt may fool the opposition into thinking we're running a Choice Set, since it KOs quite easily with SE moves and Hydreigon must switch out frequently until it's late game :9
  15. Rogan

Rogan

This is the same set I run. I love it. Although I've been thinking about giving up on STAB dark pulse for U-turn. Any other thoughts on this, or I am better off with a scarf set of U-turn?
  16. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

It just depends on what your team needs Hydreigon to do. U-Turn on a non scarf set is great for bluffing a scarf similar to Genesect's bluffing strategy, however unless it's running a +Spe nature then bluffing will be quite a challenge due to it's lack of speed. Although, on a scarf set it's usually preferred over Dark Pulse for the switch advantages, and scouting out of sticky situations. For E-Belt and LO sets you're better off just bluffing a Choice item by switching out after a counter comes in every now and then, until the right opportunity that is. If your team is very weak to Reuniclus and Alakazam, then Dark Pulse is a better idea for STAB and power.
  17. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent come at me winter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I absolutely adore this Pokemon, it's criminally underused. I just wanted to point out that I've found Earth Power to be redundant on the SubRoost set; Dragon Fighting gives perfect coverage except for shedinja anyway. You could argue that earth power is better for heatran, but cmon, tran is basically a free substitute for hydreigon, as it resists fire ground and grass and sub gives you a safety buffer against focus blast misses anyway. Ive used the set extensively and have concluded that the last move should either be roost, flamethrower or surf, depending on whether you're running weatherlass/damaging weather or sun/hail. Superpower is also simply a godsend for hydreigon, but i think i dont need to say anything regarding it; everyone knows what it's for. I also adore specs hydreigon (it has the most powerful draco meteor in ou after all, since latios never runs modest) and is cute in that it can ohko and outspeed all weather starters, allowing you to then change the weather with something like kingdra or heatran. Tailwind also seems like a lot of fun katakiri, will gave to try that out :D
  18. gengarsnemisis

gengarsnemisis

I've been using the Expert Belt set on my sun team and it has working wonders at helping me beat sand teams. T-Tar will always come in after a draco meteor, literally every single time, than unexpectly is destoryed with superpower thus winning the weather war. The scarf/specs bluff is obviously key to this. Also I fell hes a good member to a sun team due to his awesome resistances, including ground, and the buffed fire blast is very nice to abuse. Sun hydreigon is good!
  19. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I've always been thinking of this. Hydreigon seems like an amazing choice for sun teams. Immunity to Ground and resistance to Fire and Water means that it has amazing synergy with the rest of team. It can defeat other weather inducers as you said, and provides super-effective attacks against Ghost and Psychic-types, provided that Hydreigon runs Dark Pulse. A sun-boosted Fire Blast is actually more powerful than a STABed Dark Pulse, and is nothing to scoff at, since it means that Hydreigon now doesn't depend as much of Draco Meteor to crush things. Hydreigon can punch holes on the opponent's team, to help so later on battle, Venusaur can sweep. With Superpower, it can break through Blissey and Tyranitar, as you said, and can get rid of Heatran, an extreme headache for sun teams. The only downside is that you now have an extra weakness to Ice and to Fighting. But these are easy to cover.
  20. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

Hydreigeon seems so good but nobody managed to use it at his maximum power ...

Great typing offensively, perfect movepool, good ability, very good stats ...
    He resists Water, Fire, Grass, Electric, Ghost, Dark ... And he's immune to Ground & Psychic
    And he's only weak to Ice, Fighting, Bug & Dragon ...

My build is the classic:

Hydreigeon @ Life Orb
    Nature : Timid
    Ability : Levitate
    EV : 4EV HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

Dragon Pulse
    Dark Pulse
    Earth Power
    FireBlast

Not a lot of opponents think I have Earth Power + Fire Blast (redundant against Steel) ... They help me killing different pokemon, and the element of surprise is always nice :) ... The only downsides are Pink Blobs, Breloom's Mach Punch, and faster Dragon (Garchomp, Salamence, Lati@s)
  21. fire r a g e

fire r a g e

I use him on my team and let me tell you, he is amazing at denting everything in its path. I use the mixed set with Roost/Draco Meteor/Superpower/Fire Blast.
  22. PrezEvil

PrezEvil

Like some others in this thread, I use Sub Hydreigon and it's absolutely amazing. I use a bulkier spread with 56 HP/252 Sp. Atk/200 Spd with Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, Charge Beam, and Substitute on my Sun team and it wrecks everything except the pink blops and Heatran. It's ability to set up a Sub on so many things and OHKO anything that switches in is unparalleled.

On a random note, it's a shame that a Steel/Ghost Pokemon doesn't exist. Otherwise the two would be able to resist every type in the game.
  23. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

You lost me ...
  24. Magolor

Magolor

I love using hydreigon. He has an expansive movepool, typing and ability that gives him a lot of switching opportunites and can take on many roles. I can't belive people seem to use pokes like vaporion and infernape over this. I like to use a simple life orb set with jolly nature and dragon pulse/surf/dark pulse/fire blast. It can clean up and eliinate threats, not to mention abuse the sun brought on by my heatran. If I had to say any flaws about him his speed means that other dragons can easily kill him.
  25. BlueSuperSonic1

BlueSuperSonic1

@Magolor
    With that moveset, you should probably be running Timid or Modest over Jolly, considering Jolly lowers Special Attack.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)