ORAS OU Hydreigross - An OU Team that looks bulky to me o3o

Hiya guys this is another ORAS OU Team by me~ obviously I suck etc etc, anyway imo listen to this song while rating ;)

Disclaimer: This music is not owned by me and all rights belong to their respective owners o3o

Team at a glance:

Teambuilding Process.

I saw this core on the OU Good Cores Thread or something like there and I'm like aye why not give it a go ;) Hydreigon and Metagross-Mega synergises pretty well, both being pretty offensive.

I noticed the team was, well, a little bit slow for my liking, so I added a status spreader in the form of Clefable, and completes the DSF core.

Well, I still need some form of raw speed, so I went with CScarf Lando, p good if you ask me

Kind of to complete my voltturn core tbh, and helps with birdspam

and keldeo. Helps patch up the remaining weaknesses i have of the team.

Zapdos replaced Raikou, it helps with hazards and still check birdspam.

The team

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower Fire Blast honestly idk what fire blast doesnt hit that superpower hits
- Flash Cannon

The first member of the core, Hydreigon. As I said in the teambuilding process, it has great type synergy with Mega Metagross, and isn't a complete momentum killer as well. I did consider putting Choice Scarf on this thing with U-Turn, I'm not sure if I really want to do that. Draco Meteor in general hits anything for lots of damage, and kind of lures in fairies to hit with Flash Cannon as well. Dark Pulse is also a good mandatory STAB, and Superpower is kind of a lure move (for those who actually don't know that exists) for Steel-Types who want to switch in on this thing's Dracos. Fire Blast does the same thing. Usually use this as my Rotom-W Switch in after Raikou.

Changes I have in mind:
U-Turn > Superpower Flash Cannon? tbh i don't really use superpower much, might as well? for same reasons i guess
Choice Scarf > Life Orb? in some situations i feel that Hydreigon would have benefited from speed more than power

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
((idk how to fit Sub onto this, maybe i just wont))
2nd member of the core. Mega Metagross helps smash through the fairies for Hydreigon and check the fairies as well. Although it doesn't really like Thunder Waves from Clefable, hey hey it still OHKOs it! (at least 68.8% of the time). Mega Metagross is a pretty strong Mega, with that Clear Body pre-mega to negate the pesky intimidates, while Tough Claws in Mega Forme to wallbreak well. I don't really run grass knot because well, I feel that I can handle Slowbro well. Meteor Mash is its mandatory STAB, as well as Zen Headbutt. The interesting part is Hammer Arm over Earthquake. The reason is easy enough, Ferrothorn, Air Balloon tran, Air Balloon exca etc really annoys meta. Ice Punch to lure the Lando-Ts in and hurt them pretty bad. and Scizor annoys it. That's when Keldeo comes in. Later.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect
Stealth Rock somewhere?
3rd member to complete the DSF core. This Fairy Type Patrick/Teletubby/Barney spreads Thunder Wave and does its job well, while checking set up sweepers such as Azumarill. Moonblast is like really mandatory because Taunt is the weirdest thing invented. Wish helps the team with longetivity, the other members cant really recover on their own well. Also, Protect helps it avoid KOs with its handy dandy Leftovers.

Edit: Not sure what move to change for Stealth Rock? for the moment i destroyed Twave for it :/

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

1st member of the VoltTurn core. Intimidate really helps against so many things, weakening them and softening them up. Choice Scarf was used as the item as raw speed was needed and things like opposing fast Ground Types or Mega Diancie don't really get affected by my Thunder Waving. Pretty standard EV spread. Checks Talonflame or birdspam in general, whilst giving my team a nice TWave check mon thing to switch in. EQ is its mandatory STAB, Stone Edge to do the EdgeQuake combo, Knock Off was chosen over Superpower because, Gengar. And Chansey, but I don't really see that nowadays. U-Turn is the best for gaining momentum.

--New Member--

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Heat Wave

SpDef Zapdos has been working nicely for Defog, and the teams speed seems ok-ly managable. Maybe I should slap TWave on Clefable/Zapdos to spread some speed around? not sure, anyway, Volt Switch helps me do the momentum that I used to do with Raikou, Heat Wave really helps me against the Scizor I have trouble against (y'know, keldeo gets really weakened with Scizor-Knockedoff Lefties), roost for recovery which raikou didnt get which is awesome, and defog for bad bad hazards. The only way this thing hurts me is well, speed, and a tad lil ice weakness? i guess?

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

2nd member of the VoltTurn core. Now, now I actually wanted Rotom-W instead of this, but I really really needed speed therefore I went for Raikou, the faster Electric-Type. Assault Vest is given to let it take some hits, whilst also providing momentum in the form of Volt Switch. Thunderbolt is there if you want to stay in and hit it up with Electric-Type moves. HP Ice is a cool story for Landorus-Therian as well, although it misses on the OHKO which is a little annoying.. Extrasensory is my filler move chosen to at least give me an answer to Mega Venusaur.

--

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

The Keldeo. My team was looking really weak to Bisharp, so I was like ayy wynaut keldeo. Also as a side bonus it also checks Scizor, which MMeta struggles with. only if it got Fire Punch... anyway, I chose the SubCM variant because it gives me a nice wincon, and Celebi is annoying btw.. :C Basically, you just go up to a mon that does nothing to you, get a sub up, get a few CMs, and proceed with Scald with burning, or Secret Sword, that one awesome STAB that kills chansey badly. Leftovers is of course the obvious item choice.

THREATLIST
This. Once it sets up like Swords Dance and Landorus-T (and maybe Raikou) is weakened, thats gg

[insert hazard photos] Hazard stacking is... painful for me. I don't really have a Taunt User to stop it, nor do I have a spinner/defogger/magic bouncer. So I guess, hope Galvantula doesnt show up. cool cool zapdos
Keldeo is my only check to these and if Keldeo gets weakened too much, there goes my wincon :/ wow some many steel lures
Hard-hitting Fairy-Types. I really can't switch in into these at all, Mega Metagross gets 2HKOd by Sylveon which is ew, and if I sack a mon they're just gonna switch out into their Scizor or something. Maybe I gotta replace something for another Fairy check idk?

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Flash Cannon

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

And YES, I know I should lower the attack IVs for those who dont need it o3o

---------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, thanks guys in advance for rating!
Shoutouts to:
1) edit: I regret being so selfish, and I should thank the raters as well
2) myself
3) myself
4) Game Corner
5) myself

Last edited:
I would recommend changing the Clefable set to the Offensive SR setter. Any team benefits from SR, and it's not like your team is that slow.

Clefable @ Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
-Moonblast
-Soft-Boiled
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, nice team, I actually have one pretty similar to it. On Hydreigon, I recommend Fire Blast > Flash Cannon because you can kill Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, Magnezone, and other steel types. Also, Flash Cannon is risky because Hydreigon dies immediately to fairies, so its not worth the risk. Also, one move I love on Metagross is Substitute. It allows you to be immune to status moves like Will O Wisp and Thunder Wave, and it also allows you to survive a Sucker Punch or a Super effective hit (because its hitting the substitute), and then you can kill them in return. Your team also lacks priority so something so you should look into, and I agree that Clefable should have SR because it makes winning games with HO a lot more easier. Latios is also a big threat to your team as Clefable looks to be the only solid choice to switch in, Having the volt turn core with no hazard remover is risky because if the opponent gets some hazards, like SR or 3 layers of spikes, Raikou can only switch in a few times, and if Raikou is gone, Bird Spam wins. I feel like a special defensive Zapdos > Raikou could potentially help, as it serves as a special wall and provides your team with a hazard remover. Only downside would be losing some speed. Breloom could also be a threat as nothing can take a spore, and nothing looks resists both Bullet seed and Mach Punch. On Hydreigon you should run Naive/Rash so Bullet Punch and Mach Punch don't kill you immediately.

I would recommend changing the Clefable set to the Offensive SR setter. Any team benefits from SR, and it's not like your team is that slow.

Clefable @ Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
-Moonblast
-Soft-Boiled
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
hihi thanks for the rate :) tbh I wasn't thinking of Magic Guard, I could try that out, although that will leave me quite weak to BD Azu, but I'll try that out (: I did consider SR over TWave on the original set, but I wasn't too sure if I wanted to kill Thunder Wave for SR, but I'll definitely try your set out! thanks again o3o

Hey, nice team, I actually have one pretty similar to it. On Hydreigon, I recommend Fire Blast > Flash Cannon because you can kill Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, Magnezone, and other steel types. Also, Flash Cannon is risky because Hydreigon dies immediately to fairies, so its not worth the risk. Also, one move I love on Metagross is Substitute. It allows you to be immune to status moves like Will O Wisp and Thunder Wave, and it also allows you to survive a Sucker Punch or a Super effective hit (because its hitting the substitute), and then you can kill them in return. Your team also lacks priority so something so you should look into, and I agree that Clefable should have SR because it makes winning games with HO a lot more easier. Latios is also a big threat to your team as Clefable looks to be the only solid choice to switch in, Having the volt turn core with no hazard remover is risky because if the opponent gets some hazards, like SR or 3 layers of spikes, Raikou can only switch in a few times, and if Raikou is gone, Bird Spam wins. I feel like a special defensive Zapdos > Raikou could potentially help, as it serves as a special wall and provides your team with a hazard remover. Only downside would be losing some speed. Breloom could also be a threat as nothing can take a spore, and nothing looks resists both Bullet seed and Mach Punch. On Hydreigon you should run Naive/Rash so Bullet Punch and Mach Punch don't kill you immediately.
hihi thanks for the rate as well o3o :) kk as a sidenote, be wary of your 100 message post count o3o
first off I think Fire Blast > Flash Cannon is definitely a good idea, (except maybe I would go for flamethrower but hey hey) Yeah I think it'll help with Scizor quite a bit. Also I really like the idea of substitute on Metagross, really helps with that pesky Sucker Punch o3o
also ye I agree that priority is a thing, I'll try to see what I can do. for latios, tbh I have to keep doubling into lando-t to at least do something to it while it takes LO damage
About Zapdos, I have actually considered it but feared the Ice Weakness (here comes mamo) and the speed (as you mentioned o3o) but other than that, I will test it out.
aaand about breloom its a rip for me :( usually I would have to break the sash, and then sleep fodder, and after that, switch into something that resists whatever I think its going to use that. tldr its a hassle indeed

and also cool nature suggestion, tbh I don't really think about which defense to sacrifice when mixed O3O
anyway, thanks for the rates guys :)

Hi there, nice team.

A few quick suggestions. I'd go from Clefable > offensive Heatran. That increases the overall pressure your team can put out. I'd run Fire Blast / Stone Edge / Taunt / Stealth Rock, to check CM Clefable (who Metagross does not like eating a Fire Blast from), while also checking Scizor and Talonflame rather well. Earth Power and Flash Cannon are also worthy options over Stone Edge, to pick off other Heatran or Altaria respectively. Decent secondary Bish check as well as Fairy check, although it doesn't switch into Gard all that well. You can afford U-Turn on Hydri as you don't need Flash Cannon on this particular set. U-Turn > Metagross achieves a very similar endgame to using Flash Cannon on Clefable (aka Clef is forced out). Offensive Starmie might be helpful over Zapdos, as it gives you some form of a Keldeo check, which you really don't have now. It also removes hazards ala Zapdos. Again, like the first change this gets your team on the same page with regards to how they gain and keep momentum.

Those changes make your team more offensive, but I also think that Keldeo / Metagross / Hydri play better in a bulky offensive look.

Hope all that helps, nice team!

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge / Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Hi there, nice team.

A few quick suggestions. I'd go from Clefable > offensive Heatran. That increases the overall pressure your team can put out. I'd run Fire Blast / Stone Edge / Taunt / Stealth Rock, to check CM Clefable (who Metagross does not like eating a Fire Blast from), while also checking Scizor and Talonflame rather well. Earth Power and Flash Cannon are also worthy options over Stone Edge, to pick off other Heatran or Altaria respectively. Decent secondary Bish check as well as Fairy check, although it doesn't switch into Gard all that well. You can afford U-Turn on Hydri as you don't need Flash Cannon on this particular set. U-Turn > Metagross achieves a very similar endgame to using Flash Cannon on Clefable (aka Clef is forced out). Offensive Starmie might be helpful over Zapdos, as it gives you some form of a Keldeo check, which you really don't have now. It also removes hazards ala Zapdos. Again, like the first change this gets your team on the same page with regards to how they gain and keep momentum.

Those changes make your team more offensive, but I also think that Keldeo / Metagross / Hydri play better in a bulky offensive look.

Hope all that helps, nice team!

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge / Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
aye thanks for the r8 m8 :)) appreciate it :^)

About Heatran, yeah I definitely agree, a Stealth Rocker is on there now, checks quite a few stuff i need to check, although I might fear azu quite a bit but I'll find a way out of it like idk taunting it :^) Yeah, also helps against the fairies o3o

and about U-Turn, glad I got some input on it to make sure :)

aand now that I look at it, yeah my team is p Keldeo-Weak, starmie will definitely help with its spinning :]
also Heatran is quite a birdcheck, doesn't really work against MPinsir but Talonflame is the more common one, thanks for the feedback, I'll try it out :]

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man seem weird to me Have a deffoger but u dont packing rocks on ur team, so let me give some suggestion, with spdef Zapdos u may check Keldeo but u still a lil bit weak to it, so i recomend a couple changes CM Clefable > Unaware, Defensive Lando-T > Scarf and ScarfKeldeo> Sub CM i think this change make a lil bit solid this team and also change ur Hydreigon set, so here are my suggestions:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Flash Cannon

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Hey man seem weird to me Have a deffoger but u dont packing rocks on ur team, so let me give some suggestion, with spdef Zapdos u may check Keldeo but u still a lil bit weak to it, so i recomend a couple changes CM Clefable > Unaware, Defensive Lando-T > Scarf and ScarfKeldeo> Sub CM i think this change make a lil bit solid this team and also change ur Hydreigon set, so here are my suggestions:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Flash Cannon

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
tfw i thought this thread was dead, i'll try it out, thanks for the rate :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)