1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Hyper Offense Rain for a unique tournament

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by AlphaStarstorm, Jan 2, 2013.

1. AlphaStarstorm

AlphaStarstorm

WELCOME!

Team at a Glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Greetings and welcome to my second RMT! I hope you will stay a while and help out.

Now here's the deal. I'm involved in a tournament that's coming up within the next month or so. All standard OU rules are in effect except for one key difference. We can use 2 Pokemon from OU, 2 Pokemon from UU, 1 Pokemon from RU, and 1 Pokemon from NU. With that in mind, if you suggest to replace a Pokemon, please keep it within the tier. Thanks. That said, on to the good stuff.

Team-Building Process
    Show Hide
    I decided quickly on HO Rain. To do so effectively, Politoed is needed. Hence, he entered the team.
    [​IMG]

Now I debated on whether or not to use my other OU slot on a hazard setter. I ulimately decided against it, and instead opted for the attacking power of Keldeo.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Having squared away OU, I next looked at UU. Two Pokemon immediately came to my attention. One, a speedy nightmare and the other a monstrous attacking powerhouse. Enter Sharpedo and Azumarill.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That having gone rather quickly, I was optimistic about RU. That, however, was short-lived. I didn't see much of anything that interested me or really seemed to help. I ultimately settled on Hydration Accelgor, though not without a bit of hesitation.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fared much better in NU, however. I knew that a NU Pokemon wouldn't be much for attacking, so I needed a gimmick. Something to support the others in as many ways as possible. Prankster Volbeat seemed absolutely ideal for this, so he went in.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Purely for my amusement, my Pokemon will be represented by gijinkas. Now moving on to the team itself.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by NinjaKurohyou
    - - - - -
    Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Perish Song

For rain to work, you need the rainmaker. Being that this is meant to be a Hyper Offense team, I chose Specs Toed for his ability to punch holes in things. With the boost in the rain, STAB and Specs, most Pokemon are severly hit by Hydro Pump, being 1-2HKO'd. Ice Beam and Focus Blast provide the coverage that Toed's diverse movepool is famous for. Perish Song is there to force out set-up Pokemon and maybe KO their last Pokemon before fainting himself.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by Onisuu
    - - - - -
    Keldeo (Ordinary Forme) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Secret Sword
    - Calm Mind

My other OU Pokemon of choice, Keldeo is complemented well here. I decided on the Calm Mind set because I felt that there were too many Choiced Pokemon, should I have chosen the Scarf route. Nevertheless, Keldeo's exemplary stats and good coverage shine as my main special attacker. Should he receive a Baton Pass from Volbeat, this man is absolutely monstrous. In fact, Volbeat being on the team is a main reason I am considering the Scarf set. I'd like to hear opinions on this.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by RottenKrow
    - - - - -
    Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

This is the first UU Pokemon I selected. Solid dual STAB moves and a great Ability in Speed Boost make this Pokemon quite deadly, whether in the rain or out. He can also act as a pseudo-scout with Protect, mostly mining for Choice Pokemon while gaining some Speed for himself. Waterfall hits like a truck in the rain. Even Skarmory is 2HKO'd by it, which is rampant in my meta.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by Dragonfly-World
    - - - - -
    Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Huge Power
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Return
    - Superpower

Kind of a yin-yang thing with the speedy Sharpedo, the hugely powered Azumarill is my second UU choice. This Pokemon receives so many static attack boosts from abilities, the weather, STAB, etc. that most others can't keep up. Aqua Jet hits surprisingly hard with all the boosts, and the priority is just the icing on the cake. A very solid rain member, for sure.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by Colonel Carnotaurus
    - - - - -
    Accelgor (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Bug Buzz
    - Final Gambit

I don't know about this guy. He's my RU choice, mostly because nothing else really stood out to me for HO rain. Problem is, he lacks a decent Water move. Giga Drain, Focus Blast and Bug Buzz provide adequate coverage, but aren't affected by rain. Final Gambit is if I really, REALLY need to KO that guy across from me, but without a solid HP investment, it seems a little lackluster. This Pokemon is certainly on the chopping block, and if anyone can think of a better RU choice, I'd love to hear it.

FYI: The pickings for Accelgor gijinkas is super slim. Sorry.

[​IMG]
    - - - - -
    Art by Song64
    - - - - -
    Volbeat (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder Wave
    - Tail Glow
    - Baton Pass

My NU Pokemon, and surprisingly decent. Volbeat's stats may be nigh-abysmal, but this man nevertheless serves two functions. First and most important is to Baton Pass a Tail Glow to either Keldeo or Accelgor. Prankster is a godsend to this type of strategy, allowing me to priority Tail Glow, survive the attack with Focus Sash, then priority Baton Pass. The other function activates is Politoed is KOed. In that case he acts as a priority weather inducer. For NU, I'm satisfied.

So that's the team. I realize the unique tournament rules may make team analysis a little awkward, but any help I get will be most appreciated. Thanks.​
  2. HabibsHotDogs

HabibsHotDogs

I would give you an elaborate rate but at the moment there are very very very glaring weaknesses with your team.

4 water types weak to grass moves with only 2 resist.
    4 water types weak to electric moves with no resist.
    0 Stealth rock users
    2 Stealth rock weak pokemon
    2 Very fragile pokemon (under 60/60/60 defences).

I can see this team getting worn out, getting straight swept.. etc. Basically this team can easily be walked all over. I'm not sure which pokemon to suggest to you, what pokemon are most important to you? If you really want a rain team, try using non water rain abusers like Toxicroak as they provide relevant resistances and offensive coverage.
  3. Bryce

Bryce Lun

I don't mean to be rude but it is a rather poorly built team..ScarfThundurus-T 6-0s this team easily.So I'll be listing many changes.

First of all,I suggest LO Tornadus-T over CMKeldeo for the second OU slot.Tornadus-T is much better immediate threat than keldeo.UU and RU is abundant on in water spammers.So I think you should not use up the OU slot in Keldeo.Also,use the 4th slot on Tornadus-T's moveset for Rain Dance as you will lack efficient ways of dealing with sun and sand.

For the two UU's I suggest you use Bronzong and Raikou respectively.Bronzong provides a much needed steel type while acting as an effective,Dragon,Tornadus-T,Mamoswine check giving it a niche in OU.It also sets up Stealth Rock,the best support move in the game.Raikou is needed for an electric resist so Thundurus-T doesn't destroy you.With it's Speed and Power,it can easily threaten a lot of dominant OU pokes.I suggest you use the standard SubCM set.

You know,there's a tried and true Rain abusing monster in RU called Feraligatr.A set of SD,Waterfall,Aqua jet and Superpower makes it a deadly sweeper as it can launch powerful Rain and perhaps Torrent boosted water attacks and destroy Ferrothorn at +2.Mystic Water is the item of choiced.

Finally,I suggest you use the NU slot for ScarfDitto.ScarfDitto is an amazing revenge killer that can turn your opponent's set up sweepers against them.Plus I think it is the only poke in NU other than Gorybyss who is viable in OU imo.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)