VGC Hyper Offensive VGC RMT

Hi all! I've been playing VGC since the start of the year, and have had plenty of fun. Not a fan of the rules this year, but have still had a whole lot of fun at events, and am very proud of how I've gone for my first year (Seniors: Top 4 Brisbane Regionals, 10th Australia Nationals).

Anyway since I'm most likely not going to worlds I thought I'd have a bit of fun and try a few new things, including using some of my favourite Pokemon! Surprisingly, the new team has been going pretty alright, so I thought I'd share it and see if anyone could improve on it! Without further ado:

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

So basically...I love yveltal. It's been a favourite of mine since XY came out, and I'd never given it much thought for VGC. It's a fairly standard set. Basically, this yveltal is for those pesky trick room users which are often psychic types, as well as the occasional mewtwo. Priority in sucker punch is always nice too, especially to weaken those water spouts from kyogre. Not really sure if there's a better alternative for this, but regardless, yveltal is one of my personal favourites and a strong threat in VGC 2016.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

We all know who the biggest threat this year is. And this Pokemon is really the best counter at the moment. In all my teams so far, I've included the big blue whale. With frightening damage output and the ability to swing the weather back in my control, I can't see a real reason for kyogre not to be on this team.

Raichu @ Zap Plate
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Nuzzle
- Encore
- Fake Out

I suppose from here on out of this report we start to see some mons that haven't seen as much usage as I think they could have. Raichu, on my first team and here for my last. Volt tackle either outright OHKOs or does a frightening amount of damage even with exceptionally high defensive kyogre. It also puts enemy yveltal at risk of copping a ridiculous amount of damage. Nuzzle can cripple speedy foes that threaten my exceptionally fast team. Encore I think is the most annoying move of the set, especially since it's often substituted for feint, making it as unpredictable as it is crippling to status move users. And well fake out...coz fake out.

Mienshao @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Wide Guard
- Quick Guard

That's right, and it's not just in there for laughs. This meinshao is very threatening to a very wide range of Pokemon. The ability to always get a fake out off vs allies of enemy fake out users regardless of speeds due to inner focus is huge. Alternatively, just throw a high jump kick for a quick ohko onto kang or life orb weavile. Wide guard can be huge for preventing the use of some of the most common moves in the format, while quick guard stops pranksters and talonflame.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Greninja. I love it! I think we all know what gunk shot's good for (hint: starts with x, ends with erneas). In all seriousness, this move picks up an ohko on non defensive Xerneas, and also many other less used fairy types like clefairy I beleive and also togekiss. Low kick deals serious damage to the primals, dialga, kangaskhan and anything weak to fighting. I basically use the last two moves for 1 thing each: groudon and salamence. Switch in to kyogre and fire off a scald, or a quick OHKO onto mence can throw the game back in my favour. In my opinion, Greninja is totally underrated and a serious and unpredictable threat in vgc 2016.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Tailwind
- Encore

Initially I had Mega Gengar here, but just wasn't working as well as I would have hoped. Instead we have whimsicott, the Pokemon I hate playing and love having. An alternate solution to set up Xerneas with encore, as well as other status users with either taunt or encore depending on the move, whimsicott is a key player on my team. I really only use tailwind when my foe sets it also, so I am still able to outspeed in most circumstances. And when I'm down to sash, endeavour is a fun move to lower the opponents health quickly.

As I'm sure you can see, this isn't really a stereotypical VGC team. The real aim is to pick up lots of quick KOs, a strategy which seems to be abandoned for a lot of long settup. I've had lots of fun with this team, and surprisingly reasonable success. It is vital that you understand how the team works, and don't try a lot of settup when using it. Just throw speed and power around and go for the quick win! It was a quick build so evs are not perfect, but if you can fix them, great.

Anyway, I guess that's all! Any fixes are welcome!

Cheers

PS: I tried adding mon sprites, but my internet was being Australian (for those in other countries that means really really slow and temperamental)

(first rate as an official rater tee-hee)

hi there Maxwell002, i really like this team, it deviates from the commonly seen semiroom on this archetype, and this adds more variety overall to the build. as such, there aren't many flaws with this team, kudos to you on that end. with that said though, into the rate.

one mon choice i dislike is greninja. for one, it doesn't really add much to the build than a subpar xern check, and even if greninja fits, it needs mat block to be useful for first turn set up on anything. ferrothorn is the most logical replacement here, as it's the universal xerneas check, as well as adding a secondary kyogre check which is nice. this also gives you the infamous defensive core of ferrothorn + kyogre, which walls pretty much everything to oblivion besides yveltal (and groudon is the weather is wrong). a standard set of gyro ball / power whip / leech seed / protect works here, and a standard spread of max hp / 196 atk / 60 spdef sassy ohkos xern with gyro ball at +2, with the rest thrown into spdef to take moonblasts / dazzling gleams / ice beams / etc. better. leftovers provides longevity which helps against both primal kyogre and xerneas, as well as any other miscellaneous attackers that you might see.

having a mega is essentially mandatory on vgc teams, as pokemon like mega salamence and kangaskhan are hard to pass by due to the sheer amount of utility and power they provide to a team. there are a couple ways you could go about this; putting a tailwind salamence over whimsicott, which keeps the speed control whimsicott had, also giving you another groudon check and a good rayquaza check, or a kangaskhan over mienshao, keeping the ability to check smeargle while being able to beat other kang through low kick or clean with power-up punch. either way, this gives a solid addition to the build without changing the ohko factor of the team too much. alternatively, you can keep the whimsicott as it does provide a decent rayquaza and yveltal check by running a more offensive life orb set with moonblast; this is actually a pretty cool set and i like it here since it fits in quite easily with the offensive nature of this team. so no matter which way you take, you get a mega and possibly a rayquaza / yveltal answer in the process. (should you choose to keep the supportive whimsi, having protect with encore gets the most out of it, since it's able to lure attacks like fake out and lock a kangaskhan / weavile / mienshao / smeargle / liepard etc. into it)

the kyogre spread could use a bit of tweaking. running max spatk modest is a bit inefficient. hitting multiples of 11 is more beneficial due to how math works at level 50 (lol). running 76+ is just slightly weaker than max spatk, getting only about 4 percent lower damage rolls at the expense of a ton more bulk. a spread of 252 hp / 124 def / 76 spa / 4 spd / 52 spe hits a few important benchmarks: outpacing most neutral 90s with little speed investment (ie. the majority of restricted mons other than groudon), the aforementioned multiple of 11 special attack stat, and living attacks such as mega mence's double edge and mega rayquaza's dragon ascent.

raichu doesn't have too much use for encore; if you look at many other encore users, they have prankster (liepard, whimsicott). feint is much more useful as breaking protect is quite crucial to pick up quick kills on pokemon like groudon, which again, fit with the nature of your team.

that's about it. as said before, i quite enjoy this type of team, it's a change of pace from the more fat teams seen recently (besides raydon) and it uses some underrated mons. i hope i helped and good luck with the team.

(
)
(
)

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Raichu @ Zap Plate
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Tackle
- Feint
- Nuzzle

Mienshao @ Lum Berry / Focus Sash*
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Wide Guard
- Quick Guard

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Pixie Plate*
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe*
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Encore / Moonblast*

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge / Return**
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick / Power-up Punch**

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor / Tailwind***
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

*if you run offensive whimsi
**if you want power-up punch kang, run these moves
***if you drop whimsi for mence, run this

Wow! Thanks for the rate! I'm glad you like the team and the change of pace as much as I do!

For starters I didn't even realise a lack of Mega evolution XD! Will definitely look at Mega Mence, and will give kangaskhan a go (not sure if it's fast enough but I'll see).

Also, I have trialed feint a little and it's working great! Thanks for the improvement!

I like the kyogre spread, but also like running max speed. All see how this one goes, and make adjustments as I go!

I also like ferrothorn, because even when versing pesky follow me users I am able to withstand a couple of attacks.

Thanks for the rate and I'll reply soon after testing the changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)