I Am The Shinxe, koo koo (pi)kachu!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
that Blaine/Rapidash pictures make me hope to fucking GOD that I brought burn heal. I really like it.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Yadoking: I'll put it on my to-do list but god knows when I'll get to it!

Jumpluff: You are too nice! Thanks! I just like Pokemon and thought my stuff could be useful and enjoyable here. :D

Icy Vegeta: who is mirror b? and also sorry I don't like Sudowoodo :<

Dromi: :> Thank you!

Also Public Service Announcement:

I'll pretty much be gone 'till August.
In order of occurrence and length of time commitment: Witnessing a Cirque du Soleil show, going to a convention for like a week, then Italy for 3 weeks.

See you!

Mirror B. was an antagonist from Pokemon Colleseum or XD; I'm not sure which. He used about Ludicolo about 20 times in 4 battles and he also had a Sudowoodo as his 'shadow' Pokemon. His whole charactor theme was dancing.

I gotta say - this work that you have done is amazing. I stopped when I saw your thread and recalled your name being brought up a little bit, so I looked. I must say that your talent feels limitless and your abilities really show throughout the various pictures you have posted. I think that the Breloom and Togekiss don't feel evil - Breloom has a quite Jolly look and feel to it.

I must say that it sounds like artistry is your line of work, and I commend you on that. It seems that you have found a career that more then suits you.

I have to ask - while myself interested in picking up this type of art I have no idea on the lengths of time it takes to do such masterpieces. For an example - how long did it take you to learn your way around and how long did it take you to do some of your more recent pics you posted?

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Fire Sock: Got your PM but I'll have to respond to it later, sorry, for now since I dropped by the thread I'll try to answer your question! And thanks for your kind words. :>

All the original drawings (for the meme) generally took anywhere from 1-2 hours each. I tend to work on things for only a couple of hours (unless they're commissions or schoolwork of course) because I get bored. I'd put more time in if something was really giving me trouble like if I can't nail the sketch right off the bat or if I'm procrastinating, but I hate wasting that time.

FOR INSTANCE, Vespiquen's (last one I did) file was created at 5:30pm May 19th and modified for the final time at 7:00pm the same day. So It took 1.5 hours. The first one I did was Shinx at 4:00 the previous day. So I finished 17 pokemon in roughly a day, minus the time where I was sleeping or doing other stuff. Some took 45 minutes/under an hour. Depends on how lazy I was.

Helps that I've been drawing/painting digitally since '04 and have picked up on handy shortcuts so I can do the tedious bits faster!

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate, and I got to say I am VERY impressed that the timeframes are so small. I should take an apprenticeship underneath you ;)

Don't worry about the time of responses, I was happy to see you got back to me the first time seeing as you said you would be gone.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
This is my REAL last post before I bail. I didn't think I'd have any time between the convention I just went to and Italy, but I just had to come back and try a little something for this Monthly Art Contest.

Time took... about an hour, hour and a half.

Dude awesome pics! I love the honchkrow. I know you said that you were probably done for now, but if you have time, do you think you could make a Lucario Pic? Lucario is an awesome looking pokemon and with your style of art, I'm sure you can come up with something truely amazing. If you are busy then I understand.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Trying to take my mind off of how I'll be traveling overseas for the first time in my life on Friday, and yet I can't concentrate enough on anything BUT traveling long enough to draw a good pic... lol

GO ME

well here is something. I was going to fully paint it but I lost steam and started packing again.

SO GOOD +____+ auggh so good distracting me from working for life but GOD I love your detail and dramatic lighting!

I love love love that metagross in your meme, I love him because of my bf, and you made him so deliciously terrifying ;3; you have such a great style and I can't get enough!

All the original drawings (for the meme) generally took anywhere from 1-2 hours each. I tend to work on things for only a couple of hours (unless they're commissions or schoolwork of course) because I get bored. I'd put more time in if something was really giving me trouble like if I can't nail the sketch right off the bat or if I'm procrastinating, but I hate wasting that time.

FOR INSTANCE, Vespiquen's (last one I did) file was created at 5:30pm May 19th and modified for the final time at 7:00pm the same day. So It took 1.5 hours. The first one I did was Shinx at 4:00 the previous day. So I finished 17 pokemon in roughly a day, minus the time where I was sleeping or doing other stuff. Some took 45 minutes/under an hour. Depends on how lazy I was.

Helps that I've been drawing/painting digitally since '04 and have picked up on handy shortcuts so I can do the tedious bits faster!
How the heck do you paint that quickly? All of my paintings(and my friends) take like 30+ hours lol. (to see my paintings, my DA is art-of-tennis.deviantart.com btw) I've always just painted with a round brush and varied the flow/hardness. Is it the custom brushes that speed you up so much?

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
How the heck do you paint that quickly? All of my paintings(and my friends) take like 30+ hours lol. (to see my paintings, my DA is art-of-tennis.deviantart.com btw) I've always just painted with a round brush and varied the flow/hardness. Is it the custom brushes that speed you up so much?
Uhhh I dunno lol? I think I'm just fairly quick-- as long as the painting isn't hardcore developed or something (these were SO simple). Custom brushes help in adding really fast hints of atmosphere, things like spores/etc, but otherwise...

I use a round brush (sometimes the kind that tapers with pen pressure for line weight) to sketch and I block in colors/tones with a 'palette knife' brush I made. Makes things like cool and somewhat angular (also easiest PS brush to make ever):

AND well since I'm procrastinating from packing, here's kinda... some process pics. I don't save separate files, but I tend to make new layers when I start on a new stage of my painting.

I get the feeling these will be very unhelpful, but:
LOOK AT THE FIRST POST IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MY BRUSHES. THEY ARE IN THE SET I LINKED THERE.
Process for Aerodactyl. - totally jank 'painting'
Process for Honchkrow. - slightly more painterly and less messy.
Process for Metagross. - emphasize setting and shadow, intensity of mood
Process for Roserade. - another way of shading, and simple BG

And a big image so I can SHOW OFF in case you don't want to click a link:

Uhhh I dunno lol? I think I'm just fairly quick-- as long as the painting isn't hardcore developed or something (these were SO simple). Custom brushes help in adding really fast hints of atmosphere, things like spores/etc, but otherwise...

I use a round brush (sometimes the kind that tapers with pen pressure for line weight) to sketch and I block in colors/tones with a 'palette knife' brush I made. Makes things like cool and somewhat angular (also easiest PS brush to make ever):

AND well since I'm procrastinating from packing, here's kinda... some process pics. I don't save separate files, but I tend to make new layers when I start on a new stage of my painting.

I get the feeling these will be very unhelpful, but:
LOOK AT THE FIRST POST IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MY BRUSHES. THEY ARE IN THE SET I LINKED THERE.
Process for Aerodactyl. - totally jank 'painting'
Process for Honchkrow. - slightly more painterly and less messy.
Process for Metagross. - emphasize setting and shadow, intensity of mood
Process for Roserade. - another way of shading, and simple BG

And a big image so I can SHOW OFF in case you don't want to click a link:
I see, thanks. I'll try the palette knife brush idea sometime. Yeah, I had seen the adonhis brush pack that you posted awhile back; it looks promising, perhaps I'll try it sometime. Sorry for linking to my da on here btw, I probably shouldn't have done that since this is your thread...

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't mind, it's coo', I just haven't had any time to check it out, I'll try to later!

BYE GUYS, plane leaves tomorrow!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Back from Italy! Recovering. No new Pkmn art yet; sorry dudes.

Some of the oil paintings I did at the program there:

And something I began work on today just to get back in the digital art groove (no reference used; thankfully the figure drawing classes I took in Italy are fresh in my mind, lol):

ShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesbackShesback

i think i love you

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The new artwork is excellent as always, if you're entering this month's MAC I can't wait to see what you come up with.

fixed. shinxe, what canvas size do you paint on with youre digital art? ive been searching for the perfect size, right now im painting at 800x800 but i find its hard to put detail in sometimes.

also noob question, but how do you change colors on GIMP? i gave it a go the other day and i couldnt for the life of me figure it out, i could get layers, and sot of brushes, but that was it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)