1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

I Guess That's Why They Call it The Blues (A UU Mono-Color RMT)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by PTJon7, May 8, 2013.

1. PTJon7

PTJon7

I Guess That's Why They Call it The Blues

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I recently a phase of boredom where I decided to make teams based around colors. Blue was the first one I made, as I had noticed before how often I use blue colored pokemon. To my surprise this team turned out to be quite good, and a whole lot of fun to use. This team is very offensive, relying on Focus Sashes, priority attacks, and offensive pressure to win. Here's the team:

Nidoqueen
    [​IMG]

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
    Modest Nature
    • Earth Power
    • Flamethrower
    • Ice Beam
    • Thunderbolt

Nidoqueen is a great wall breaker, with excellent coverage, power, and bulk. Nidoqueen can break open slow teams once I've taken out things like Porygon2, Umbreon, and Snorlax. Nidoqueen is invaluable to this team as a solid check to Fighting types that would otherwise cause a lot of trouble. Nidoqueen is also the most reliable way to deal with ParaFlinch Togekiss, being immune to Thunder Wave as well as easily outspeeding and 2HKOing Togekiss. I like to run 4 extra speed EVs over the recommended amount just incase Nidoqueen ever has to go 1 v 1 against another Nidoqueen.

Honchkrow
    [​IMG]

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    • Brave Bird
    • Sucker Punch
    • Superpower
    • Pursuit

Honchkrow is one bad ass bird. If played correctly Honchkrow can sweep through entire teams, as after getting one boost Honchkrow is truly a terror to face. Honchkrow can easily be played around however, especially if the opposing team is carrying something that counters it like Cobalion or Zapdos. At the very least having a member of the team with access to such a powerful Sucker Punch is always useful, especially late in a game.

Weavile
    [​IMG]

Weavile @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    • Ice Shard
    • Night Slash
    • Low Kick
    • Swords Dance

I have only recently started using Weavile, and I wish I had started earlier. The combonation of Swords Dance, a Focus Sash, amazing offensive stats, and priority make Weavile an excellent sweeper. Leading with Weavile is also a sort of Stealth Rock deterrent, as most teams will fear an impending sweep by Weavile and opt to not set up their Rocks at the start of the game. All Weavile's moves are standard fare, and another form of priority is extremely useful to a team like this one. Depending on whether the opposing team has a way of beating Azelf or not, Weavile will usually lead and will always do some damage.

Azelf
    [​IMG]

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    • Psychic
    • Thunderbolt
    • Taunt
    • Stealth Rock

This is the first team I've ever used lead Azelf, and just like Weavile, I should've started using this thing sooner. Only a Crobat's or Sableye's Taunt can stop Azelf from setting up Stealth Rocks, and neither of them will appreciate an attack coming their way. I'm not entirely sold on Thunderbolt, but it seems like the best option. If anyone has a better move I'd love to hear it. While it may seem risky too run two Sashes on one team I find it works out pretty well, especially thanks to Taunt on Azelf. Azelf is my other common lead besides Weavile, and both of them together work great as a leading duo.

Heracross
    [​IMG]

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    • Close Combat
    • Megahorn
    • Stone Edge
    • Earthquake

I've decided to replace Sharpedo with a Choice Scarf Heracross. This is mainly due to the fact that without a Fighting type, the super bulky walls of the tier (Umbreon, Snorlax, & Porygon2) can all cause this team significant problems. I've opted for a Scarf set to make up for the loss of speed the team has without Speed Boost Sharpedo. Heracross' moveset is extremely standard, but I've decided to go for Adamant nature over Jolly. The way I see it, Heracross is pretty much the slowest (common) Scarf user in UU besides Chandelure, which is easily dealth with through other means. This means that Heracross is really just for the purpose of outspeeding everything that doesn't have a Scarf, which means it is free to go with an Adamant nature.

Kingdra
    [​IMG]

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    • Surf
    • Dragon Pulse
    • Draco Meteor
    • Rain Dance

Rain is always a scary thing to face in UU, mostly because of this monster right here. After setting up nothing can outspeed Kingdra in the Rain and very few things can take a Rain boosted Surf. I opted to go with Surf over Hydro Pump due to my hatred of inaccurate moves ,they'll always screw you over at some point. Dragon and Water STABs are unresisted in UU, which makes Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor easy choices for Kingdra's 2nd and 3rd moves. I really only use Draco as a last resort or when I'm sure Kingdra is about to die. Kingdra also serves an extremely useful job for this team: removing Hail. Hail stall can wreck this team, especially Stallrein.

I would love any input anyone has got for this team, but of coarse any pokemon that are added to the team will have to be blue colored. Thanks for reading!
  2. patrick11756

patrick11756

Im colorblind, so this should be interesting lol I can see blue dw : P

Anyway, I agree also are shinies allowed?

From what I can see, the team has good synergy and good offensive pressure. I do have a few nitpicks...
    1. Fire blast > flamethrower the extra power is def more helpful on nidoqueen from personal experience. Oh and focus blast > thunderbolt allows you to 2hko ( I believe) standard cb snorlax.
    2. what if you were to try dual screens azelf lead? You have mostly sweepers and wall breakers and dual screens would work great, especially for moxie krow.
    3. Perhaps you could try choice specs kingdra with hydro pump/draco meteor/dragon pulse/hidden power electric? This will allow you to hit hard without the need of setup and lo recoil.

Overall, you have a good team, but watch out for moxiecross and hazards which will wear down your team very fast. Specificially focus sash froslass, heracross and bronzong (hence why I suggested fire blast on nidoqueen). Also be aware that pursuit users can be koed by destiny bond.
  3. acreland

acreland

Totally agree with this. Two sashes and two 'mons weak to SR with no spinner also isn't a great idea. If your opponent gets a couple layers of Spikes down and they bring in SubCM Raikou safely it's pretty much GG. To alleviate these issues I'd replace Azelf with Blastoise. The change gives you a physical wall and spinner as well as a phazer, you can also status problematic walls. Now you need SR and some way to shut down opposing leads so replace FT with SR on Nidoqueen and SD with Taunt on Weavile.

Next up use a Lonely nature on Honchkrow and give it Heat Wave in place of Pursuit and move the 4 EVs from SpD to SpA. It fits the wallbreaker set a bit better and can score a couple of crucial KO's such as on weakened Bronzong.

Empoleon. Fail.
    But seriously though, I know Hydro Pump's accuracy sucks but the power is necessary to 2HKO certain 'mons you otherwise couldn't such as Umbreon after a small amount of prior damage. I'd use it in place of Draco Meteor; Kingdra has a limited number of Rain turns to sweep and it's a pity to cut that short by voluntarily dropping to -2 SpA.
  4. Exbo

Exbo

Adding to the previous posts, you may want to change Kingdra to
    Specially based mixed set
    -Def Nature because Download (change it to -SDef if you fear Foul play more lol)
    Outrage because it will give you a chance to continue sweeping after -2 SAtk
    You might want to consider HydroMiss, especially if you opt for Lonely. Fact: Lonely Hydromiss hits harder that Mild/Modest Surf *if* it hits

Other Options (open)
    HP Electric totally fries Empoleon and other dangerous threats like Pelipper, Mantine and Swanna
    HP Dark for Shedinja
  5. PTJon7

PTJon7

Yea sure, shinies are fine as long as they're blue.

1. I really detest having to use moves like Fire Blast when Flamethrower is already an option, especially if the damage output isn't drastically different. Any sweeper weak to Fire will fall to a Flamethower, so Fire Blast for that reason isn't worth it. Fire Blast over Flamethrower doesn't even benefit that much against walls, for example:
    • 252SpAtk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen (+SAtk) Flamethrower vs 252HP/4SpDef Levitate Bronzong (Neutral): 69% - 82% (234 - 278 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    • 252SpAtk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen (+SAtk) Fire Blast vs 252HP/4SpDef Levitate Bronzong (Neutral): 86% - 102% (292 - 348 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 17% chance to OHKO.
    A 17% chance to OHKO isn't worth a loss of 15% accuracy.

2. I depend on Azelf to keep hazards off my side of the field by Taunting opposing leads or walls late game. Screens along side that would just make Azelf Taunt bait.

3. I really really depend on Kingdra to beat Hail stall, as with most teams Stallrein can Sub-Protect it's way through my entire team. I've lost to too many Hail stall teams to leave this team defenseless to them.

As I said in my write ups, I rely on Azelf mainly to Taunt opposing leads, which is very effective considering Azelf outspeeds anything with access to Stealth Rocks or Spikes, besides some uncommon things in RU. If the opposing team has an Azelf of its own I'll just lead with Weavile, and set up a Swords Dance to sweep.

Blastoise would be a real momentum killer for a team such as this one, and Rapid Spinners really suck in UU right now.

Ok, ONE thing in UU resists Kingdra's STABs please excuse me. And as I said in Kingdra's write up, I don't want to risk Kingdra missing and then dieing when Kingdra is up against opposing things that can actually kill it. Draco Meteor is really only for when Kingdra is about to die, either by something bulky or Life Orb recoil, or when I know I'm about to be switching Kingdra out anyway.

I feel like kind of a dick for rejecting all of your advice, but I appreciate all of your concerns none the less.
  6. Exbo

Exbo

Show Hide
    Don't forget Shedinga resists Kingdra too! That's TWO defensive threats!

Anyway, what about the mixed Kingdra?
  7. Stolen

Stolen

You should try Beat Up > Night Slash on Weavile since the team is offensive and beat up hits pretty hard.

Also, put Stealth Rock on Nidoqueen and put a Meloetta over Azelf with the Relic Song mixed set, since it it going to help the team way more.

Honchcrow with a Subroost set instead of Pursuit and Superpower would help out a lot on getting momentun.

gl with the team ^^
  8. PTJon7

PTJon7

Beat Up over Night Slash is an interesting idea, but the fact that the amount of hits it does decreases everytime another member of my team dies Weavile becomes a lot more limited later in the game.

Meloetta unforunately isn't really blue, more green/white and the theme of this team is to have all blue pokemon.

I think Superpower is too important for Honchkrow's sweeping capabilities for it to lose it, but Roost over Pursuit is definitely an option.
  9. PTJon7

PTJon7

Update: Discovered that Porygon2 can crap all over this team. Heracross is pretty blue in color, and seems like the best way to deal with P2. Does anyone have any idea on what Heracross should replace? As of now I'm thinking between Sharpedo, Honchkrow, and Nidoqueen.

Thanks!
  10. atomicllamas

atomicllamas NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hey PTJon7, nice team!

If you are going to replace something with Heracross, I would recommend Sharpedo, as Nidoqueen forms a nice core with Kingdra, whittling down Kingdra's counters for a late game Kingdra sweep, and I know how much you love Honchkrow :p.

Speaking of which, have you considered a sub roost Honchkrow?

Same EVs and nature, as your current Krow with substitute and roost over superpower and pursuit. The substitute allows it to avoid status and forces your opponent to attack when its behind the sub. Against certain things you can roost of that life orb/brave bird recoil, plus it totally fucks over stall teams. (Trust me, I am running stall).

This makes steel mons a little harder to deal with, but if are adding Heracross, that won't be a huge problem.

I approve of your Nidoqueen moveset, as it is the same one I used when Queen was still in RU, accuracy is much more appealing than power.

Anyways, it looks like it applies great offensive pressure, and seems like a scary team to face. Luvdisk'd.
  11. PTJon7

PTJon7

I really find Honchkrow's extra coverage with Superpower and utility with Pursuit to be really helpful most of the time, and I don't really like the idea of Honchkrow getting walled even easier by Steel types.

I agree with you about replacing Sharpedo with Heracross, I think it should make the smallest impact to the rest of the team. I guess standard Scarf Heracross should do, to make up for the loss of such a fast pokemon. I am a big fan of Sub-3 Attacks Hera though, so I may test that out later.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped and liked this RMT!
  12. PTJon7

PTJon7

UPDATE: Changed Sharpedo for Scarf Heracross
  13. lousy918

lousy918

beat up does have the merit of OHKOing opposing sashed Azelfs, preventing SR, plus it's as strong as night slash even with two pokemon down, and as you said you normally lead with it plus it has a sash so it should normally make an appearance early in the match

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)