Other Metagames AAA Team - [Peaked #1 (91.6% GXE)]

Introduction
Hi all, figured I'd drop off this AAA squad since I don't really plan on using it that much anymore. Instead, I'll just make an RMT rather than letting it rot in my teambuilder. This is the first AAA team I've made myself. I've been meaning to learn Almost Any Ability, as it's a pretty popular OM that I didn't know much about. I almost instantly decided to use stall because I'm a terrible player and can't really build for anything else. Using stall and having almost zero knowledge of the metagame are two facts that make for a bad time teambuilding, so instead of hopping right in I decided to read up some AAA threads, specifically the Viability Rankings to get a good sense of what threats I need to prepare for. After slapping together 6 Pokémon, I was able to hit the AAA ladder and reach #1 with relative ease, even being able to stand up to strong opponents like Klang and aesf. I didn't expect this type of success with such a hastily made team, to be quite honest. My all-time highest peak is 1703 Elo with a respectable 91% win ratio. Not bad, I'd say. Unfortunately replays couldn't be salvaged, because I forgot to save them, and for some reason I can't find any good replays using the feature of PS (the only ones I could find are my losses to aesf on the ladder;[). Without further ado, let's get into it:

Teambuilding
As a player who has little to no experience in the Almost Any Ability metagame, hitting up the AAA thread and AAA Viability Rankings was the first thing I did. After looking through them a couple of times, I've created a mental image in my head of all the things I needed answers for, in order of importance. Then, I selected one or two things that could handle the majority of Pokémon on the list, and then build around that. I ended up with the dynamic duo themselves, the classic stall tag team that is:

x

At first, I didn't want to worry much about abilities. For starters, I didn't even know which I'd choose, or what is even viable. Eventually I found out the hard way that such a teambuilding method can be quite dangerous. For example, I found myself to be quite weak to Victini / Entei. I've heard quite a lot about those two and similar Pokémon (like Darmanitan) causing havoc in AAA because a small amount of Pokémon can switch into these mons and live to tell the tale. That is, without the use of an external ability. Which is why I picked the next Pokémon to handle these large threats:

x
x

Chesnaught (Flash Fire Chesnaught, to be specific) is able to switch into many of the aforementioned Pokémon and easily out-duel them. It's also able to lay down Spikes to ensure Skarmory's Whirlwinds have more effect. The two Pokémon match up pretty well in terms of typing. Chesnaught covers Skarmory's weaknesses and vice versa, meaning not a lot of Pokémon can bust through these two. However, as a person with experience using stall, I knew that one of the major issues stall can have is beating opposing stall. I immediately opted to pick a good stallbreaker from OU and see how it went:

x
x
x

Not so surprisingly, Heatran's transaction from the OU tier to Almost Any Ability is very smooth. As for the set I've chosen, I simply copied and pasted the first standard Heatran set from the AAA analysis. In retrospect, although it was a not very well thought out decision, it was a great one, because Heatran does so much for the team. Auto-winning vs Manaphy and Suicune is great, and Desolate Land Magma Storm packs the really strong punch this team lacks. It also handles stall pretty well. Taunt + Toxic is very hard to deal with. Poison Heal Pokémon might be able to stand a chance, but Magma Storm's passive damage negates Poison Heal's healing, so it'll soon fall. Next, I had to make sure that all of the hazards that I've managed to fit onto my team couldn't be removed with Rapid Spin. Although Defog is also another thing I had to watch out for, there's not much I can do to stop that:

x
x
x
x

I simply slapped Sableye on the team because it's good in OU stall, and if it's good in OU stall, then it's probably good in AAA stall as well. In retrospect, there probably could have been a Pokémon with superior stats to Sableye that could have taken that slot, but as it stands Sableye has performed excellently on the team, so I shan't replace it. I considered putting Mold Breaker on it over Prankster at first, to break Magic Bounce that Sableye has trouble vs in OU as well, but I decided aginst it. Even though I eventually ended up replacing Prankster with Mold Breaker, at the time it got me thinking how I'd be able to beat Mold Breaker myself. Specifically, Mold Breaker Fire-types. Therefore, I chose this Pokémon as my last:

x
x
x
x
x

Blastoise not only provides useful utility in Rapid Spin support for the eam, but it also acts as a secondary Fire-type counter, for when Chesnaught is too risky or not possible (thanks to Mold Breaker). For instance, I might switch Blastoise in on a Fire-type to scout its move of choice, or perhaps to tank a dangerous coverage move like Entei's Ice-type Extreme Speed. All in all, it's a pretty good glue to the team. I haven't made any major edits to the squad, besides Sableye's ability change, so I guess my rapid teambuilding method paid out for me at the end of the day.

The Squad

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

I noticed that Skarmory was one of the S-tiers, capable of easily dispatching Gale Wings Birds and much, much more. Having such a staple stall Pokémon in the S-tier made it quite obvious that I needed this on my team. I decided to use Intimidate in order to be able to keep up with the powercreep (For example, being able to handle Tough Claws Fighting-types, something a regular Skarmory would have some trouble against). There isn't much that can break through this on the physical side. Quite a few AAA monsters are kept in check by this such as Snorlax, Zygarde and Braviary. A fairly standard moveset, I'd say. Stealth Rocks are on this as opposed to Heatran or Chansey because I need their moveslots a lot more than I need Skarmory's. Whirlwind is used to phase out boosting Pokémon that Skarmory has trouble killing itself, such as Doublade or Snorlax. Roost is quite self-explanatory, recovery is mandatory on Skarmory. Brave Bird is used as an offensive option so I'm not totally Taunt-weak. It breaks Substitutes and, when coupled with Rocky Helmet, can add up for a lot of damage inflicted onto the enemy. After using this team a lot, I'd say that Skarmory is invaluable to this team. It just does so much, nothing else can compare. As per suggestions, I've edited the item from Rocky Helmet to Shed Shell. Although the extra damage Helmet provides is very helpful to combat Skarmory's enemies, the survivability Shed Shell provides is a lot more valuable. If Skarm falls to a random Magnet Pull mon, the game could very well be over instantly.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave​

If you're using stall, and are playing in an OU-based metagame, Chansey is pretty much a necessity. Being able to shrug off special attacks like its nothing is a priceless quality that nothing else can do (besides maybe Blissey, but Blissey sucks ;[). Unaware is the ability of choice, beating out other options like Regenerator or Magic Bounce, because it'll allow be to handle most boosting mons, even some physical Pokemon like Zygarde. I used to use Toxic on this to help take down Pokémon Chansey is designed to wall without relying on Seismic Toss 100% of the time, but I found myself quite weak to Gengar this way. It was able to come in for free onto Chansey and Skill Swap its Normalize onto any one of my Pokémon, which is quite troublesome to deal with. Thunder Wave cripples Gengar severely. When it is paralyzed, my Sableye is able to handle it a lot easier, as it will be able to outspeed. Heal Bell is used to provide crucial support to my team, although sometimes it does interfere with Blastoise's Poison Heal. Soft-Boiled is a no-brainer; recovery is crucial to consistently wall dangerous threats.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

I've really grown to love Chesnaught in Other Metas. For some reason, when given other abilities, it really shines in my stall teams. In this scenario, it's designed to be the team's primary Fire switch in. Flash Fire allows me to take no damage from otherwise fatal attacks like a Victini's Choice Band Desolate Land-boosted V-Create. It also does a good job checking stuff like Ground-spam, Gyarados, Tyranitar, etc. Spikes are used to increase damage taken when the enemy switches in, which is crucial seeing as how that's the team's primary means of doing damage (Via Heatran forcing switches and both Skarmory and Blastoise's phasing moves). Leech Seed is there for even more residual damage, and some juicy recovery as well, which this mon lacks. Using Synthesis is an option on Chesnaught, seeing as how it increases in effectiveness when Desolate Land is active, which the majority of the Pokémon Chesnaght checks will be carrying. However, I dislike the low PP and most of the time am fine with just Leech Seed. Spiky Shield is used to stall a turn. This could have many uses, like sapping more health with Leech Seed, or applying more Toxic damage, or it could be to inflict contact damage. The list goes on. Drain Punch is my final move to not be so passive. Fighting STAB is pretty neat. Also, the added health I get back from inflicting damage is appreciated by Chesnaught. It couples well with Skarmory because it checks Fire and Electric type mons that it struggles with, meaning I have nearly every single physical Pokémon covered with just 2 team slots.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpA / 28 SpD
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Taunt

Heatran was used because I wanted an answer for boosting Waters that threatened Chansey. The main two culprits include Manaphy and Suicune. Desolate Land Heatran is pretty much the best answer to those two Pokémon you will ever find. The EVs used are made so that even at +6, Manaphy stands no chance at breaking Heatran's substitute (Psychic variants can, but that move is not so common on Manaphy). Although Unaware Chansey cannot be killed by these Pokémon, thanks to how sleep works with PP, they stand a good chance of simply PP stalling it, and that's something that I cannot allow to happen, especially when those Pokémon are quite common in AAA. Heatran also acts as a nice stallbreaker, ensuring I don't lose to opposing stall. Magma Storm, coupled with the EVs and my ability, make sure that any switch-in will lose a large chunk of HP, regardless of typing. The trapping aspect of the move make sure that the enemy is locked in 1v1 combat with Heatran. Considering the following two moves are Taunt and Toxic, not many stall Pokémon will be able to handle this set. Flash Fire Steelt ypes are annoying, but many of them cannot touch Heatran, and don't enjoy a taunt either.Substitute is used also to force switches. Heatran is a Pokémon with a large numbers of immunities and resistances, and as such many Pokémon won't be able to even scratch it. Substitute allows it to amp up the pressure on the enemy and most of the time lead to massive damage inflicted on the one Pokémon that can even break the substitute.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 200 HP / 116 Def / 114 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fake Out

To be quite honest, there are probably better Pokémon that can fill up this slot. I didn't really know what I wanted here, except for something with Magic Bounce, so I settled with good old Mega Sableye. This thing never fails to disappoint. I haven't really appreciated up until recently how valuable Dark and Ghost typing is, even with the new Fairy type. Mold Breaker may seem weird, but I used it once to counter-team this one ladder opponent I was struggling against, who set up his Magic Bounce Gyarados turn 1 against Sableye and proceeded to completely destroy me. In theory, there are situations in which Mold Breaker is important. For example, my team is pretty passive, relying on hazards, status and phasing moves to deal damage to the enemy. When there's an ability that's a hard stop to my whole playstyle, it needs an answer or else I lose. In practise, Magic Bounce doesn't seem to be that detrimental to my team, but Mold Breaker is still handy to have around. Though I need to keep my Sableye un-evolved if I want to abuse that ability, so a strategy is required. As for the EVs, everything is pretty standard except for the 48 Speed bit. That's to ensure I outspeed paralyzed Gengar so it doesn't just 6-0 my whole team. Knock Off ensures a clean KO before it has a chance to swap abilities. Fake Out is for a quick and safe Mega Evolution, if I feel Mold Breaker is not required. Recover is self-explanatory. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple physical attackers completely, and makes for some nice passive damage over time. Although Taunt has been suggested, I find the four moves I have currently to be too valuable to give up. But if anyone wants to try this out in the future, feel free to swap in Taunt for the benefit of beating MBounce Chansey 1v1 as opposed to PP stalling it to death.

Blastoise @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Roar
- Protect

I needed a spinner (not a defog user, because I didn't want my own hazard stacking to be interfered. With Chesnaught and Skarmory handling the setting up of Spikes and Stealth Rock respectively, and Sableye blocking spins, I have a pretty good system going here) and that's pretty much why Blastoise is on the team. I gave it Poison Heal so it could somewhat function on a stall team. 9 times out of 10, it isn't my primary switch in for anything, but it's a nice Pokémon to have in the back, in case I desperately need something to take a hit. Rapid Spin is primarily why Blastoise is used. Getting rid of annoying entry hazards is very important. Chip damage is not something my team really appreciates. A Chansey taking repeated Volt Switches will die really quickly, so I need to make sure situations like these are prevented at all times. It's also a nice status absorber. With Poison Heal, it's able to, essentially, be completely immune to status which is nice in case a Toxic or a Will-O-Wisp is imminent. Roar is used to phase out Pokémon Blastoise can't touch like Latios, or Desolate Land users. It works even better if I've got hazards set up, for more damage. Protect is used to stall a turn, primarily to recover up some more health with Poison Heal. Scald is used because it's the best move in the game. That 30% burn ratio is busted. Burn already is such a devastating condition to have, but pair it with a decently strong Water STAB and its just great. All-in-all, it's a pretty great Pokémon, certainly one of the best spinners out there.

Threats
Special 'Mons that beat Chansey [
]

Chansey's my only special wall, so anything that's able to defeat it 1v1 can have a good shot at destroying my whole team. These things include (but are not limited to) Special Lucario, Taunt / Encore Alakazam and Taunt / Knock Off Tornadus-Therian.

Certain stallbreakers [
]

My team is able to handle some stallbreakers, either by Blastoise absorbing status (For instance, a Gliscor's Toxic) or Sableye bouncing back hazardous moves like Taunt. However, one stallbreaker I have a lot of trouble with is Heatran. It's able to trap 5 out of the 6 of my Pokémon (instantly killing 3 of them, mind you). The one thing that doesn't take damage (Chesnaught) is crippled by Toxic and the remaining two can be beat 1v1 easily by Heatran. Definitely a real problem.

Ladder Peak

Importable
Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Taunt

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 200 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fake Out

Blastoise @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Roar
- Protect

Bye.​

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude, awesome team, after 15 min of analyzing I really couldn't find any glaring weakness like at all, just fucking cool.
Normalize gengar looks annoying, but I understand you can deal with it, by chansey + sab.

Just a nitpick, run shed shell on skarm as there are too many trappers in AAA, and if it dies it opens your team to strong wall breakers like banded tough claws dragonite. Specially if their team has a cleric even then you couldn't even just play it around.

Also maybe mold breaker taunt over fake out on sableye to actually beat magic bounce chansey one on one rather than just pp stalling it.

Anyways best of luck !! :)

Edit :: Didn't notice it was my 100th post lol n_n

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Definitely agree with the shed shell skarm suggestion. I wouldn't call it nitpicking, you'll kinda auto lose to any team with phys attacker + Magpull tran or really anything of the sort. If I trap and kill your skarm, I can win easily with Braviary, Dragonite, Garchomp, etc etc

Other than that the team looks good, I like the incorporation of Heatran, it surprisingly works really well. I tried to find something that fit better than Msabe, and the only thing that came to mind was Magic Bounce Mandibuzz, but Sabe still seems better. I would consider running foul play or taunt over fake out. With a stall team, you should hopefully be able to find a good time to mega without too much trouble.

I would like to see replays against AAA players like Klang and aesf who you said you did well against, overall great job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)