I went down to the Heracrossroads - A UU Warstory

So I was laddering to test out Heracross. MDragon was one of the people I happened to test against quite often. Every time I play him, it ends up with him or me winning by a single Pokemon at best. To my surprise, after we finished testing, I saw him on the ladder. I thought our previous battles were good......

Warning: I didn't really bother to write a lot about each move since the battle sort of tells itself, it's more to show what we were thinking and what our options were rather than overthinking. It is meant to be read as a fast paced battle.

Heysup's writing is in black.
M Dragon's writing is in blue.

My team:

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Highwaytohell sent out Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
-EonGod- sent out Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).

- 100%
- 100%

I use a CB Scyther lead since it's ballin and gives me momentum. Omastar leads can either be defensive or Sash Timid leads. Either way, U-turning to Venusaur is the best move.

The battle start and he sents out a Scyther. This is good news for me, because this means free rocks for my Omastar. Im using a suicide lead Omastar here. My objective is setting up as many hazards as I can, so my team can get a big advantage.

Scyther used U-turn.
Omastar lost 47% of its health.
Highwaytohell switched in Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Omastar used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---

- 100%
- 100%
- 53%

Obviously it's a Sash variant due to a hard-hitting U-turn and no Leftovers recovery. I want to get rid of Omastar asap so I can permanently keep rocks off of the field, as my team functions much better without it. If he switches out, I don't think anything will like a Modest Leaf Storm at all.

Now I have 2 options: switching in Scyther to absorb the possible grass attack, but I risk an early Sleep Powder, which would screw me a lot, so I decide keeping it. 2 things might happen:

1. It uses Sleep Powder. This would be great for me, since Omastar job is done, while absorbing the sleep too, after using SR and if it is slower, I can set up one layer of Spikes too, which is usually more than enough for my team, and then switching in Scyther to u-turn.

2. It uses a grass attack. I would just sacrifice it. The main difference with the first scenario is that it could put to sleep something of my team later, which might be bad.

Venusaur used Leaf Storm.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Omastar lost 53% of its health.
-EonGod-'s Omastar fainted.
Venusaur's special attack was harshly lowered.
Venusaur lost 10% of its health.
-EonGod- switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
---

- 0%

6-5

- 90%

- 100%

I draw first blood as he allows me to get rid of Omastar. Unfortunately, he has Scyther to come revenge kill me, so I send Rotom in to take the U-turn and possibly lure in something to Rapid Spin on.

Unluckily for me, it is faster and I cannot set up spikes too, but it reveals me that he is using a fast LO venusaur, which means it can't take a NP Sludge Bomb from my Toxicroak. Now I want to scout his team with Scyther, so u-turn is the obvious move here.

Highwaytohell switched in Rotom (lvl 100 Rotom).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom.
Rotom lost 12% of its health.
Scyther used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Rotom lost 41% of its health.
-EonGod- switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
---

- 47%

- 100%
- 100%

Well that's not good...his team is almost exactly the same as mine it appears. He is likely going to just use Pursuit, so I may as well risk him being greedy and using Nasty Plot or Substitute.

I u-turn and he switches to Rotom, taking a nice 53% in the process. My houndoom is NP, and it doesnt have Pursuit, but he might stay expecting a Pursuit. My plan here is using Dark Pulse. If he keeps it, it's gonna die. If it switchs into something, it's gonna take a huge hit, and I can see what is his NPdoom counter.

Houndoom used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Rotom lost 47% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Rotom fainted.
Houndoom lost 10% of its health.
Highwaytohell switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Pointed stones dug into Donphan.
Donphan lost 6% of its health.
---

- 0%

5-5

- 94%

- 90%

Donphan seems like a very bad choice, but it's basically my best option. This is because I'm certain he knows I can survive and OHKO back with Earthquake. Hopefully I can take this time to Rapid Spin, permanently removing Stealth Rock from the field.

No rotom is good news for my team, since now Kabutops won't have problems for spinning some possible rocks. I fucking hate Donphan, especially if don't have spikes in the field, since it can survive Fire Blast and spin my rocks, which sucks because i lost my Omastar early game, but if Donphan is his SRer too, that would mean no rocks for him (scyther would love this). If Donphan uses EQ to kill houndoom, it can't spin, so I would lose my Houndoom, but my he wouldn't be able to spin me.

Houndoom used Fire Blast.
Donphan lost 84% of its health.
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Houndoom lost 16% of its health.
Donphan's leftovers restored its health a little!
Donphan restored 6% of its health.
---

- 16%

- 64%

He made a very ballsy prediction to basically take Donphan out of the fight, but at the cost of Pokemon such as Scyther being able to switch in freely. I do want to try and set up Stealth Rock later in the battle, possibly on a slept foe, because his team also seems pretty weak to Stealth Rock. I'm almost certain he will use Fire Blast, or at the very worst, crunch. This allows me to switch to my own Houndoom.

So he decided to spin, which means no rocks for neither of us. Now I will just finish it with a Dark Pulse, because I don't want to risk a FB miss now.

Highwaytohell switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Houndoom lost 30% of its health.
---

Heysup
- 70%
MDragon
- 54%

Not a bad turn, I would have rathered Fire Blast, however this is fine. I don't mind sacrificing my own Houndoom simply because I don't think he has a Ghost (at least one that can stop Heracross). I think he would have switched to it on Donphan because of how important Stealth Rock is to set up if he had one, so I'm not too worried. Anyway I'm hoping to hit him hard with Sucker Punch incase he uses Dark Pulse again, since I'll outdamage him.

Houndoom vs Houndoom. I'm sure it's gonna try to Sucker Punch my Houndoom, so a switch to my Aqua Jet Kabutops (I want to hide NPcroak until the end), and scare it. The worst case scenario would be a Dark Pulse, but it won't OHKO kabutops, so I decide to take the risk.

-EonGod- switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
Houndoom used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!
---

Heysup
- 70%

- 100%

Ugh. I think he'll try and get me with Aqua Jet in fear of Dark Pulse (which I don't have), so this gives Venusaur a shot. Venusaur is kind of bulky too, it could probably take a Stone Edge after the Aqua Jet and KO back.

Now I look at Heysup's team, and I notice that his only water resist seems to be the fast (and frail) LO venusaur, which will be KOed by a combination of Stone Edge + Waterfall, and it's a nice switching if he wants to easily take the obvius aqua jet, so it seems the best idea (houndoom can't OHKO me, so if it stays, which is unlikely, i can kill it too)

Kabutops used Stone Edge.
Venusaur lost 69% of its health.
Kabutops lost 10% of its health.
---

- 21%

- 90%

Again, outpredicted. He nails me with Stone Edge, essentially putting Venusaur out of commission. I can't afford to take another hit from Kabutops, so I'm going to sacrifice Venusaur. Who knows, maybe he'll get greedy and try to Swords Dance, or think I'm faster and use Aqua Jet.

Now the Waterfall to take it out. This means it won't be able to sleep anything :)

Kabutops used Waterfall.
Venusaur lost 21% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Venusaur fainted.
Highwaytohell switched in Heracross (lvl 100 Heracross ?).
---

- 0%

4-5

- 100%

- 80%

He takes the lead, and Heracross is my best bet for revenge killing him. I'm almost certain, however, that he will not stay in simply because he knows that if he gets a Swords Dance, I will likely not be able to stop his Kabutops. Stone Edge should hit the incoming Scyther for a clean OHKO.

And here comes the pain, Heracross. It might use Close Combat to kill my Kabutops, but Stone Edge is also very likely, because he knows Im using a scyther, and it would take a CC like nothing. I don't want to lose scyther or kabutops, so I have 2 options: my own heracross (a flame orb with 4 attacks sweeper), and then kill something with facade, or Toxicroak, and NP or Sludge Bomb the switching. I finally decided to switch into Hera, and then kill something with Facade.

-EonGod- switched in Heracross (lvl 100 Heracross ?).
Heracross used Stone Edge.
Heracross's attack missed!
Heracross was burned!
---

Heysup
- 100%

MDragon
- 100% (Burned)

Well fuck. I wanted that to hit....

This battle is not going my way, but it seems to me that he might actually be weak to Scarf Heracross if his own Heracross is his best switch-in. Anyway, I'll need to send in Donphan as to not get rid of something else, since he already fucked up my Rotom with Houndoom. So much for Stealth Rock :/

He uses stone edge... and it misses. Now I realize I made a huge mistake here, as I should have kept Kabutops, because it could have been the choice AA heracross, which would 2HKO scyther, and it would have OHKOed my Heracross switching. Luckily for me, it seems to be a Megahorn/Close Combat/Stone Edge/Sleep Talk variant of choice hera (I dont know if CB or scarf). Now I use Facade to kill something

Highwaytohell switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Heracross used Facade.
Donphan lost 16% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Donphan fainted.
Heracross was hurt by its burn!
Heracross lost 12% of its health.
Highwaytohell switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
---

- 0%

3-5

- 100%

MDragon
- 88%

Well this battle is looking pretty bad, but I'm almost certain he can't take an Aerial Ace from anything since Kabutops should be 2HKOed at this point.

I kill his Donphan, but Scyther appears. My only remaining flying resist is gonna take a huge hit from AA, but that and a speed tie with my own Scyther are my only hopes to stop it.

-EonGod- switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Kabutops lost 39% of its health.
---

- 100%

- 41%

I got a lower roll than I'd hoped, but I can still KO him if I'm lucky. Otherwise he'll just KO himself.

Luckily it doesn't 2HKO it, which is great for me. I sacrifice my Kabutops, but a LO waterfall should put his Scyther in my QA KO range.

Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Kabutops lost 39% of its health.
Kabutops used Waterfall.
Scyther lost 76% of its health.
Kabutops lost 2% of its health.
-EonGod-'s Kabutops fainted.
---

- 0%

3-4

Heysup
- 24%

MDragon
- 100%

Damn, he hit me with Waterfall and that put me in QA KO range. I think my best best right now is to go to Heracross and try to pick off members of his team so that I can possibly sweep late game.

Now I think that between Toxicroak and Scyther, I can win this game. I just need to kill Scyther with QA, and after that, Toxi can come in a Stone Edge and kill the rest of his team

Scyther used Quick Attack.
Heracross lost 38% of its health.
---

Heysup
- 62%

- 100%

He knows I have Stone Edge, so he won't stay in. I'll easily 2HKO his Burned Heracross, and my gut feeling is that he does have a Rock-type resist, because it would be silly not to with Scyther around. Aerial Ace will hit the remaining Pokemon he has for at least neutral, and he definitely won't expect it.

He switched, so Scyther is still a problem for Toxicroak.The Stone Edge seems obvious, and that means I can switch into Toxicroak to take it. A sludge bomb would mean something is gonna die.

-EonGod- switched in Toxicroak (lvl 100 Toxicroak ?).
Heracross used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Toxicroak lost 75% of its health.
---

Heysup
- 62%

- 25%

Yes! Finally something good this battle. Aerial Ace nails his remaining Stone Edge switch for impressive damage. He can't switch anything in since he needs to revenge kill me with Houndoom, so I'm guessing he'll just Sucker Punch or Vacuum Wave me.

This is the first time I have seen Stone Edge and AA in the same set, which means I have to sacrifice Toxicroak, and I'm in a pretty bad situation now. I will just Vacuum Wave. Now I need to damage Heracross as much as possible, because it might sweep me if my priority can't kill it

Toxicroak used Vacuum Wave.
Heracross lost 11% of its health.
Toxicroak lost 10% of its health.
Heracross used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Toxicroak lost 15% of its health.
-EonGod-'s Toxicroak fainted.
-EonGod- switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
---

- 0%

3-3

- 62%

MDragon
- 54%

I'm certain that Houndoom can survive an Aerial Ace, but I don't really want to risk getting fucked up by Fire Blast with my Scyther. I realize that my path to winning is making sure that my Heracross stays above 38% HP, or out of Scyther's QA range, then sweeping with Stone Edge. This means I can't risk even being hit by Sucker Punch.

I can't use Fire Blast since he has Houndoom, and I am not very sure if Houndoom can survive an AA. Dark Pulse would have been the best move, but I didnt want to risk an AA kill. That would be game. Problem is that if I Sucker Punch and he switches to his Houndoom, I basically lose the turn...

Highwaytohell switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
But it failed!
---

Heysup
- 70%
MDragon
- 54%

I kind of wish I switched Scyther in, because I actually would have won right here (Scyther would be forced to QA and I could revenge kill Heracross with Houndoom for the win), but it really wasn't worth the risk of losing. I think this is definitely a risk he's going to take though, since he basically needs Scyther to take out my remaining mons. This is why I'm going to nail it on the switch with Fire Blast.

...which is exactly what happened. I could use Dark Pulse or Sucker Punch here. He might predict my Sucker Punch (Im faster, since Im pretty sure he is running a mixdoom) and switch in his Hera, so I'm using Dark Pulse here (also, his Sucker Punch wouldnt KO)

Houndoom lost 29% of its health.
Houndoom used Fire Blast.
Houndoom's Flash Fire raised its fire power!
---

Heysup
- 41%

MDragon
- 34%

Shit he outpredicted me, hopefully I can nail him with Sucker Punch twice before he KOes me and makes me bring in Scyther before I want to.

I really didnt understand why he FBed. Now I can KO it with Sucker Punch, since I know it is going to Sucker Punch too.

Houndoom lost 41% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Houndoom fainted.
Highwaytohell switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
---

Heysup
- 0%

2-3

Heysup
- 24%

MDragon
- 34%

Scyther QA should actually end the match since I can now sweep with Stone Edge, assuming it KOes his Heracross after QA damage.

Very difficult situation here. Im pretty sure QA KOes Houndoom , and I dont want to risk Heracross getting 2HKOed with the burn, so I have to sacrifice it. I hope my Heracross can take a QA and a scarf Stone Edge (if it is banded, my scyther wins, but if it is scarf, Stone Edge might sweep me if it kills Hera after the QA + the burn damage)

used Quick Attack.
Houndoom lost 34% of its health.
-EonGod-'s Houndoom fainted.
-EonGod- switched in Heracross (lvl 100 Heracross ?).
---

MDragon
- 0%

2-2

Heysup
- 24%
MDragon
- 78%

Hopefully this does enough damage.

You can do it Hera!!

Scyther used Quick Attack.
Heracross lost 39% of its health.
Heracross used Facade.
Scyther lost 24% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Scyther fainted.
Heracross was hurt by its burn!
Heracross lost 12% of its health.
---

Heysup
- 0%

1-2

Heysup
- 62%
MDragon
- 37%

I kind of panicked when I realized that I could only do 39%, since my Heracross has some def EVs....but luckily, he uses Flame Orb Cross instead of something like band or even Life Orb, so his health dropped into Stone Edge KO range.

I should use Toxic Orb instead of Flame Orb next time... My only chance here is that it can survive, or a Stone Edge miss.

Heracross lost 37% of its health.
-EonGod-'s Heracross fainted.
---

MDragonCross - 0%

1-1

Heysup
- 62%
MDragon
- 100%

Well this is it. I have about 80% chance to win, but knowing me....I'll miss. There's also the added chance that he can crit with QA if he uses it. So I guess abotu 74% chance to win.

Oh well... I'm using Toxic Orb next time. I'm praying for the Stone Edge miss xd.

Highwaytohell: want to warstory
Highwaytohell: regardless of what happenz
-EonGod-: ok

hit motherfucker hit
NO! DONT HIT! Don't listen to him!

Heracross's attack missed!
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Heracross lost 51% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Heracross fainted.
-EonGod- wins!

Highwaytohell: ffff
-EonGod-: YEAH
Highwaytohell: gg
-EonGod-: gg man

Heysup
- 0% (motherfucker)
MDragon
- 100%

Stone Edge sucks balls and I lost the match (Rock Slide wouldn't have KOed his Heracross though, so I guess it was the only option).

All in all it was a great battle. I was getting my ass kicked in the beginning, but I came back in the end with Scarf Heracross...and still lost due to a Stone Edge miss.

This was a pretty good battle between 2 great offensive teams. I started dominating, but a couple of mistakes and the susprise of his scarf Heracross set nearly gave him the victory. Luckily, Stone Edge showed why it is together with Focus Blast, the worst move. gg heysup, and nicely played

M Dragon's Team:

Heysup Props:

- made up for my mispredictions with strategy.
- Both Scythers were huge assets during the match.
- Scarf Heracross is godly.
- Great match!

Heysup slops:

- Got outpredicted a lot..
- Bad end of two Stone Edge misses :(
- Rotom did shit all.

Heysup MVP:

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

Netted me two KOes, and likely two more if I hit with Stone Edge!

M Dragon Props:

- My start. I outpredicted Heysup a couple of times, giving me the advantage.
- Heracross is an excellent pokemon in UU, and this battle showed why.
- The battle. Excellent game heysup :)

M Dragon slops:

- I made a couple of mistakes that nearly costed me the battle.
- My hazards being spinned early :(
- Stone Edge

M Dragon MVP:

Scyther @ Choice Band
Jolly
252 atk/252 spd
-U-turn
-Aerial Ace
-Brick Break
-Quick Attack

Forced Heysup not to use CC or Megahorn in Hera, killed a poke and allowed me to kill another poke.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice warstory Heysup. The miss at the end was costly, but I've had that too many times :(

An excellent example of why Toxic Orb is always better than Flame Orb (and Life Orb) on Heracross. With Toxic Orb, he'd be at 50%, and if he had some bulk invested (I think you said he did), he would have stood a shot at surviving.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Good warstory, Heysup. Enjoyed it, the commentary was short and sweet, covereing exactly what it needed. Heracross is awesome and should be Uber...err...OU? Fine. OU for now, but soon...

Also, Stone Edge is the work of the devil, Focus Blast is Satan's little brother Gerald, and Seed Flare (personally) is satanic too.

8/10. Good.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Nice Battle! You have to admit that M Dragon deserved the win he outplayed you way more times than you him.

As a sidenote:
Heracross most likely dominated this battle in every aspect possible (Teambuilding, Choices in Battle, etc.).

This shows how epic (borderline) Heracross is.....

Nice, fast paced battle. The way i lke.
Props to M Dragon (hey it's not me... he's good), also props to you.

Scyther is boss by the way.

Good battle!

This actually kept me entertained. It sucks that an endgame miss lost it for you, but that's pokemon! lol Good game guys and nice warstroy.

This battle clearly shows why Scyther and Heracross should be used in conjunction, because the work to weaken/eliminate each others checks and counters.

Oh, and that sucks on the Stone Edge hax, that motherfucking crap move has cost me more matches than I can count.

ok read but i was a bit confused by some of the choices you made. maybe because it's been a long day and i'm tired or maybe your explanations are unclear. interesting battle regardless though...

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus

Kabutops used Stone Edge.
Venusaur lost 69% of its health.
---

- 31%

- 90%

Again, outpredicted. He nails me with Stone Edge, essentially putting Venusaur out of commission. I can't afford to take another hit from Kabutops, so I'm going to sacrifice Venusaur. Who knows, maybe he'll get greedy and try to Swords Dance, or think I'm faster and use Aqua Jet.

Now the Waterfall to take it out. This means it won't be able to sleep anything :)

Kabutops used Waterfall.
Venusaur lost 21% of its health.
Highwaytohell's Venusaur fainted.
Just a question: If Venusaur had 31% left after Stone Edge, how did a 21% Waterfall kill it?

Nas

Banned deucer.
Nice read, too bad hax messed it up.

Highwaytohell: want to warstory
Highwaytohell: regardless of what happenz

^^^I kind of had a feeling you were going to miss after reading that, lol.

I can't tell you how many times I've Fire Blasted enemy Houndooms on a mispredicted switch.

Good show. It's pretty clear which pokes own the tier.

Great read, I liked it a lot! Scyther and Heracross are awesome, and the stone edge miss... it made the ending funny lol. well done :)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good warstory, only improvements you could have made may have been some more witty commentary, but we all know that's not necessary. 8/10

Just a question: If Venusaur had 31% left after Stone Edge, how did a 21% Waterfall kill it?
heysup is a big noob, and forgot to subtract the 10% from LO from earlier in the battle.

this was a good warstory though. i didnt see any bad plays, whistle did because he is noob. i still think not using fire blast on houndoom would have been the smarter move.

Hello Heysup! wonderful warstory, tons of great predictions, and even a (semi) unusual heracross set thrown in to spice things up. It kinda sucks that you lost to a stone edge miss, but what can you? I also think the game riding on fail edge was great for the story, as it brought suspense all the way to the very end. It was great to see two top uu battlers duke it out. 10/10 warstory for me.

This was very cool. I never realized Scyther was such a UU power house!
Scyther wrecks shit in uu. Banded scyther hurts anything besides the bulkiest of physical walls for tons of damage.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nice warstory guys, shows how much scarf Hera shits on offense.

@ EP: his Venu had taken Life Orb recoil after Leaf Storming Omastar

That was a sweet warstory dude. Made me really want to build a Scyther/Heracross team for UU. Be nice to play something other than Rain for once in UU, aha.

Also, I knew you'd lose the second you said the game was going to come down to Stone Miss. I hate that move, so much. And Focus Blast. I hate that one even more. I've had battles where I've missed 5 out of 5 (on DS, that's why PP not maxed).

tl;dr - Sweet warstory, I love dual-comment ones, not enough people post those!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)