1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ice 9 [Peaked at #2]

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Level 51, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Level 51

Level 51 getting worse at mons day by day
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello World! This team has been my standard RU team for quite a while, and I've had great success with it, getting 25% of the way to a Tiering Contributor Badge, winning the tenth RU minitour, and doing altogether not terribly at the RU Premier League. Unfortunately, I took it on a ladder trip to record a peak for this RMT and kept losing to Molk. ;~;

[​IMG]

At First Glance

[box][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/box]

[​IMG]Snover @ Focus Sash[​IMG]
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 SpA - 252 Spe - 4 Atk
    Mild Nature (SpA ↑, Def ↓)
    | Blizzard | Giga Drain | Hidden Power [Rock] | Ice Shard |

The first Pokémon I chose when I was building this team was Snover. This was, rather understandably, a no-brainer, because it is literally impossible to make a good Hail team without a Snover.

The set is a pretty standard one, and because I found the immediate damage more appealing than the arguable utility of a SubSeed set, Snover takes on the task of destroying unwary opposing leads should the opponent choose their lead unwisely. As is to be expected, Blizzard kills anything weak to Ice, usually Aerodactyl, Druddigon, Archeops and various Stealth Rock setters. Kabutops and Quagsire fall to Giga Drain, which also dealing passable damage to many opposing Slowking hoping to tank out Snover. Hidden Power Rock is where this set becomes interesting; while the conventional Hidden Power Fire allows Snover to 2HKO (and thus win against) Escavalier, Hidden Power Rock carries an element of surprise when used against opposing Entei, Moltres and Typhlosion which try to set up their Substitutes or start an Eruption spree. It doesn't help much that most of the players on the Pokemon Showdown! RU ladder somehow have never heard of the concept of a Focus Sash Snover. Ice Shard usually deals the killing blow to Galvantula, Accelgor and other Pokémon which are just out of KO range from Blizzard + Hail damage. Snover strong <3

Unfortunately, Snover is stopped cold (haha get it >_>) by many of the walls that inhabit the tier, like Uxie and Cryogonal. That's what the next team member is for, though...

[​IMG]Escavalier @ Leftovers[​IMG]
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 248 HP - 252 Atk - 8 SpD
    Brave Nature (Atk ↑, Spe ↓)
    IVs: 0 Spe
    | Iron Head | Megahorn | Swords Dance | Substitute |

Escavalier is an absolutely beastly wallbreaker. Once Slowking manages to get Trick Room up, Escavalier can usually wreak a ton of havoc with the opponent's team thanks to its incredible Attack stat and the rather surprising Substitute. Plus, Overcoat means it doesn't take Hail damage, which lets it stall out Stallrein, Poliwrath, and Qwilfish:

0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 79-94 (23.03 - 27.4%) -- possible 4HKO (62.5% chance to break sub)
    0 SpA Poliwrath Scald vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Escavalier: 61-73 (17.78 - 21.28%) -- possible 5HKO (0% chance to break sub)
    0 SpA Walrein Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Escavalier: 59-69 (17.2 - 20.11%) -- possible 5HKO (0% chance to break sub)

Substitute may be a rather unorthodox choice, but it is a really effective one. Standard Poliwrath, Qwilfish, and any Walrein not running Surf can't break its Substitute with a single hit, allowing Escavalier to set up comfortably if it wants to; furthermore, with a Substitute up, our little escargot friend doesn't have to worry about a stray Will-O-Wisp or Scald from opposing Spiritomb, Dusknoir or Poliwrath. Unfortunately, Escavalier's somewhat limited STABs mean it can't do much towards hurting Steelix or any Fire-type at all very seriously. Thankfully we have Slowking for that.

[​IMG]Slowking @ Leftovers[​IMG]
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP - 252 SpA - 8 SpD
    Quiet Nature (SpA ↑, Spe ↓)
    | Trick Room | Surf | Fire Blast | Psyshock |

As excellent a tank and sponge as always, Slowking is a great boon to the team, if not absolutely essential to its success. First and foremost, Slowking provides a great switch-in to Typhlosion, Entei, and so forth, threats which ruin the rest of this team. It's also a greatly underestimated and formidable sweeper under Trick Room, due in part to the average ladderer's ignorance regarding the ability of Slowking to learn Fire Blast. Thanks to its excellent coverage and bulk, the only opponents Slowking isn't able to do anything to under Trick Room are generally Uxie and opposing Slowking, as well as priority users such as Spiritomb and Absol. Thankfully, these are mainly stopped dead in their tracks by the other half of the Slowking-Escavalier core.

[​IMG]Entei @ Choice Band[​IMG]
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk - 252 Spe - 4 SpA
    Adamant Nature (Atk ↑, SpA ↓)
    | Flare Blitz | Stone Edge | ExtremeSpeed | Hidden Power [Grass] |

Woof. The canine from hell makes a reappearance, spreading fire and brimstone to anything and everything that gets in its way. While originally intended to be a secondary physical sweeper, Entei has surprisingly proven somewhat more useful than Medicham, thanks to the fact that Entei actually has some bulk and generally doesn't fall apart under any offensive pressure. This set is literally a copy of Smogon's standard Choice Band Entei set. For most intents and purposes, Flare Blitz takes out just about anything the opponent can use, even 2HKOing non-physically bulky Slowking. ExtremeSpeed is very useful for speedy glass cannons such as Cinccino as well as finishing off weakened opponents; furthermore, it can be used even during Trick Room, allowing Entei to carry out suicide missions during Trick Room, removing an opposing Pokémon while also allowing Escavalier a free switch-in paving the way for a sweep. Worth noting is the fact that Stone Edge isn't actually of much use most of the time, but I honestly can't think of anything that might be more useful in its place.

[​IMG]Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf[​IMG]
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA - 252 Spe - 4 SDef
    Timid Nature (Spe ↑, Atk ↓)
    IVs: 0 Atk
    | Trick | Blizzard | Thunderbolt | Volt Switch |

Who knew refrigerators could be so deadly? Rotom-Frost is capable of tearing holes in many teams once the opponent's bulky Psychics and Steels are mostly gone, because a surprising number of RU Pokémon are weak to either Blizzard or Thunderbolt. In fact, a lot of Pokémon in general are either weak to Blizzard or Thunderbolt. Not only does a Choice Scarf allow Rotom-F to hit hard and fast, but it is also a powerful weapon when Tricked to many tanks like Clefable and Quagsire, which are essentially powerless when their Leftovers are replaced with a Choice Scarf, usually allowing Slowking to set up Trick Room or Escavalier to set up Substitute. Volt Switch increases Rotom's mobility, letting it hit its target while swapping to a better check or counter at the same time.

[​IMG] Medicham (M) @ Life Orb[​IMG]
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk - 252 Spe - 4 Def
    Jolly Nature (Spe ↑, SpA ↓)
    | Fake Out | Bullet Punch | ThunderPunch | Hi Jump Kick |

As far as physical offense goes, it's hard - if not impossible - to top Medicham. Originally, my team was having plenty of trouble with Clefable for some unfathomable reason (I really have no idea why). At first, I used Hitmonlee, until I realised that it really wasn't a very good fit on this team. Besides having sky-high Attack, Medicham can actually hurt opposing Slowking pretty badly with ThunderPunch, unlike most of the other Fighting-types in the tier. While the residual damage from its Life Orb and Hail might pose a threat to Medicham's longevity, it could be argued that Medicham doesn't have much bulk in the first place; plus, Life Orb enables it to take out any non-physically bulky Slowking with a Fake Out + ThunderPunch combo (I think). Medicham also works pretty well against opposing HP Fire Snover leads, which I had quite a bit of trouble with otherwise because their sash is incredibly annoying. Medicham can also swap in and out of difficult opponents, while being able to deal damage to them over time through a combination of Fake Out and Hail damage.

A Last Look Back

[box][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/box]

I hope you've enjoyed my team and my RMT; I certainly enjoyed making them! I've left a directly importable version of it below, so you can give it a spin on the ladder if you like. I really don't think there's much else to say here except thanks for reading (and taking the time to rate??) my RMT!

~[​IMG]~[​IMG]~[​IMG]~[​IMG]~[​IMG]~

Importable:
    Code:
    Snover @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Mild Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Ice Shard

Escavalier @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Iron Head
    - Megahorn
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute

Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Trick Room
    - Surf
    - Fire Blast
    - Psyshock

Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Stone Edge
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Trick
    - Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch

Medicham @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Bullet Punch
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - ThunderPunch
    JoshuaMunoz, stnuoccaenilno and Molk like this.
  2. Laga

Laga We will never hear about the truly perfect crime.
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

This team is really really good. I tried it on the ladder for a few battles and I won 8 times in a row, which is the best win streak I have ever accomplished, ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶ ̶f̶*̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶R̶U̶.
  3. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Strong team level 51. HP rock snover looks particularly interesting, moltres / magmortar can be so annoying ;_;.

So uh you lack sr. You also lack a solid aggron switch in, and considering your esca set does around 30%, and it can tank espeed / stone edge / HP grass from entei and blizzard from frotom, I think you rlly need a strong switch in.

Therefore, I recommend that you try golurk over medicham. Golurk switches in on clefable ez and 2HKO's with drain punch or eq, and switches in on aggron once, and of course 1HKO's with eq. Lurk also sets up sr, and doesn't die in 6 turns like medicham thanks to leftovers. Honestly, medicham doesn't seem to be doing anything especially-entei and esca smash through physical walls anyway, and it doesn't add anything defensively either except having a strong fake out to check weakened threats. ofc golurk + king + esca + frotom + cb entei espeed handle everything anyway, so there's no need for medicham.

GL with the team and I hope I helped. Luvdisc'd.
  4. Hopkinc1

Hopkinc1

I just have one question about the team, particularly your You're running a Snover, not using any physical attacks that I can see...but he has a defense dropping nature. Any reason for that? Why not use a Modest nature instead. Just a question, overall the team looks very solid!
  5. Laga

Laga We will never hear about the truly perfect crime.
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

He is using Ice Shard :]
  6. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Level 51 :D Cool Hail Room hybrid team with SubSD Escavalier ;d

Rapid Spin users are crucial for Hail teams, especially if you're coupling it with Entei. You may want to consider Scarf Emboar, for this reason, since it provides you with the same revenge-killing utilities, but without the SR weakness. Although Scarfed, Emboar can inflict major damage thanks to its versatility, having access to Wild Charge to maim Slowking and STAB Superpower for Clefable and Rock-types.
    Emboar (open)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Emboar @ Choice Scarf | Blaze
    252 Atk / 252 Spe | Jolly Nature
    ~ Flare Blitz
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Wild Charge
    ~ Sleep Talk

Regardless of going with Emboar or Entei, you'd still want a Rapid Spinner if you want to take full advantage of Rotom-F. Lum Kabutops over that Medicham will accomplish this. Kabutops will also provide an additional way to check Fire- and to a lesser extent Rock-types, without relying on your choiced mons.
    Kabutops (open)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kabutops @ Lum Berry | Weak Armor / Swift Swim
    252 Atk / 252 Spe | Adamant / Jolly
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Aqua Jet
    ~ Swords Dance / Stealth Rock / Waterfall
    ~ Rapid Spin

Jolly + Swift Swim + Waterfall comes in handy versus Rain teams, to wreak havoc in the opponent's weather

You can slap SR on Kabutops, but I personally don't like my Kabutops spread thin, since it's already taking up a significant role in Rapid Spin. I know SubSD Escavalier is your baby, but you may want to consider offensive SR Druddigon with lefties or Dragon Fang to include SR while preserving your Trick Room offense. Druddigon also provides some key resistances that your team can appreciate, namely Fire-, and Grass-type moves.
    Druddigon (open)
    [​IMG]
    Druddigon @ Leftovers / Dragon Fang
    Trait: Sheer Force / Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature
    - Outrage
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch / Fire Punch

Earthquake is useful to prevent Aggron any free switch-ins, as well as inflicting super-effective damage to Kabutops, while Crunch deals heavy damage to Uxie and Slowking, which may otherwise be a nuisance. Fire Punch to nail Escavalier, Grass-types, and Cryogonal.

There are few alternatives that are not shown in the set. For instance, you can always use Flamethrower to 2HKO Tangrowth and Steelix. You may need an Expert Belt [not shown] to attain these KOs, while also boosting the power of super-effective EQ and Crunch. Sucker Punch is also great for priority (although I think you have enough revenge-killing power in your team). Lum Berry is always nice as an insurance against Scald burns and status powder from Water- and Grass-types respectively.

Congrats to your team's success, Level 51, and I hope these suggestions give you some ideas to better your team
  7. The Unlucky one

The Unlucky one

hey Level 51, this team is really good and I saw it twice and fought it once so there are a few things I have to say to somewhat praise it.

First of all while SR does sound like a problem on the surface, its actually not that hard to play around as the main SR users "I'd say Kabutops Druddigon and Uxie" are ratger easy to disrupt by your lead outside of Uxie who can be beaten/setup fodder by Escavalier, while sash leads like smeargle can be beaten by hail support. However, SR is still a problem, so i support Pocket's idea of Scarfed Emboar>Entei.

I personally think hail teams are probably top tier threats in the metagame, almost suspectable if you ask me, but that's just because of Walrein :( Anyway gl with the team!
  8. Cacturne

Cacturne

So you have a really cool team but i dont know how much longer it will be relevant due to hail bing suspected... I dont have a lot of time so i can't do anything in depth but im kind of surprised that you have a hail team without ice body glaceon/walrein

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)