1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Identity Duplicity - Game over [6 winners]

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by Earthworm, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

Identity Duplicity

Sign-ups Post (open)
    Identity Duplicity is a game I came up with (although it's probably been done before, I haven't bothered searching Google or anything) where, basically, you must fool everyone else into thinking you aren't you.

There will be twelve players and each of them must PM me an alias that they desire to use for the game. Aliases may be a maximum of 30 characters in length. All of the players and aliases will be posted in the main topic in alphabetical order when the game starts.

Following this, there will be a repeated process I've decided to call 'periods'. Each period will last for 24 hours (unless I can't be on to update at the deadline). During each period, all players will be required to do three things, and they are listed as follows:

1. Players must submit a message to be posted by the host that must be at least 25 words in length. It must make sense and be written in English. No player may submit the same message more than once during the entire game. Players may submit the same messages as others have submitted, however.
    2. Players must submit one alias that they wish to know the identity of. The identity of the alias submitted will be privately told to the player at the beginning of the next period.
    3. Players must submit a list of aliases and players which correspond to their guesses about which alias belongs to which player. You may not submit incomplete lists.
    There is also a single-use ability that players may elect to use for a period. This ability is to check how many of the aliases in the list submitted for that period correctly correspond to the players. You will not be told which, however.

The penalty for failing to submit a message is that for the next two periods, no lists or aliases are to be submitted by that player. There is no penalty for failing to submit the other two parts, however, because that's just disadvantaging yourself. Any players that get substituted in for inactive players will assume the alias of the player they are subbing in for.

Players should attempt to work out which player is which alias through the alias, messages, and through talking to the players on IRC, the forums, in the thread, etc.

The game ends once one or more players manage to submit an entirely correct list. The winner(s) of the game will be the player(s) who submits an entirely correct list first.

Example Legal Message:
    Dogfish45: I understand that the crocodile awaiting me in your moat is very hungry, but don't you think that we could talk for just a little while longer?

This message is written in English and is 27 words in length. The alias that posted it was Dogfish45. This is an example of a legal message.

Example Legal List: (open)
    Aardvark - chaos
    cyber_fishin - cyzir_visheen
    U_D - Umbreon Dan
    baptista_regime - AvatarST
    Green Machine - Dogfish44
    suspiciousman - dak

Assuming there were only six players, this would be a legal list.

Player List (Alphabetical Order)
    aamto
    Accent
    billymills
    dak
    evan
    Fishin
    Gmax
    imperfectluck
    LightWolf
    LonelyNess
    Mekkah
    Raikage

Sorry to everyone that didn't get in.

Alias List (Alphabetical Order)
    60 Watt Bulb
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!?
    batty man
    ByLobster
    c
    Citrus
    Coca-Cola man
    Curse you, dentist!
    Hexenhammer
    large trout
    Peter Kiragrew
    Sundae

Everyone that signed up in the previous topic will be eligible as a substitute (if they're needed) as will anyone who missed out for whatever reasons.

Here is a template for submitting your actions each Period:

Code:
    60 Watt Bulb = <player>
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!? = <player>
    batty man = <player>
    ByLobster = <player>
    c = <player>
    Citrus = <player>
    Coca-Cola man = <player>
    Curse you, dentist! = <player>
    Hexenhammer = <player>
    large trout = <player>
    Peter Kiragrew = <player>
    Sundae = <player>

Reveal <alias>

[i]Optional (one time use)[/i]: Please also tell me how many of this list are correct.
    It's currently Period 4.
  2. Accent

Accent

Voting Mekkah
  3. imperfectluck

imperfectluck
    is a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 4th Official Smogon Tournament

Hi, this is LonelyNess.
  4. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Nice tits there, LonelyNess.
  5. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

Period 1 starts now. I put a template for submitting your period actions in the OP. Please send in your actions as soon as possible because I don't want to be awake until 4AM again tomorrow.
  6. Earthworm

Earthworm

Nobody got their lists right. It is now Period 2. Period 2 ends in 24 hours.
  7. Raikage

Raikage

I can't tell a shit from these messages
  8. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

<LonelyNess> Tell me your inspection result
    <imperfectluck> and why would I do that
    <LonelyNess> because I know your alias
    <imperfectluck> lol no you don't
    <LonelyNess> ByLobster
    <LonelyNess> I don't expect you to tell me the truth
    <LonelyNess> but any info is better than no info (I can at least rule out one alias if you're lying)
    <LonelyNess> if you don't tell me I'll tell everyone who you are
    <imperfectluck> i'll take my chances
    <imperfectluck> it doesn't make any sense for you to tell everyone since that hurts you too.
    <LonelyNess> Then I guess I'll just publicize your alias since that helps everyone but IPL.

I tried to blackmail IPL into giving me his inspection result because I hit his alias and he wouldn't budge, so I'm making good on my promise

imperfectluck is ByLobster
  9. imperfectluck

imperfectluck
    is a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 4th Official Smogon Tournament

Anyone that wants to know where Accent is, please contact me. Looks like it is time to make my move to obtain information.
  10. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

or talk to me because no one likes ipl anyway.
  11. Earthworm

Earthworm

If it seems like this game needs longer periods than 24 hours then I will extend them, just a notification.
  12. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

That's the spirit. Bravo, LonelyNess!
  13. Accent

Accent

I'm where it's at.
  14. Earthworm

Earthworm

It's now Period 3; Period 3 ends in 24 hours.
  15. Accent

Accent

FFS stop being dumfucks

EW I thought that maybe you should force people to use at least one smogon name and one alias in the messages, and in a way that makes sense (ie not "dak c dak c dak c dak c dak c dak dak c dak dak c dak dak c dak" over and over (I just took the shortest ones)).
  16. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

(Not in this game.) Surprised no one did this yet.

This is a message from Lord Nergal. I await you on Dread Isle.
  17. Raikage

Raikage

Would have been too obviously Mekkah or someone pretending to be Mekkah
  18. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

wasn't a problem for abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!?
  19. Earthworm

Earthworm

I'd like to update before I go to sleep, so the last people who haven't submitted this period have until then. (consider it an extension)
  20. Earthworm

Earthworm

Period 4 ends as soon as I get all the submissions, or in 24 hours (whichever comes first).
  21. Earthworm

Earthworm

Game Over!

The winners of this game of Identity Duplicity are:

aamto
    dak
    Gmax
    LightWolf
    Mekkah
    Raikage

The correctly corresponding list of aliases to players was:

60 Watt Bulb = evan
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!? = billymills
    batty man = dak
    ByLobster = LonelyNess
    c = Mekkah
    Citrus = Accent
    Coca-Cola man = aamto
    Curse you, dentist! = imperfectluck
    Hexenhammer = Raikage
    large trout = Fishin
    Peter Kiragrew = LightWolf
    Sundae = gmax

Spreadsheet

In the first sheet it's just telling me if you used your one-timer or not.

I think the only players that went backwards (non-deliberately, LN did it strategically) were Accent and billymills. Accent went backwards because the dak / Mekkah / Raikage 'alliance' tried to make him lose by feeding him (most likely organised) lies, and Gmax used a pretty clever tactic when approached by Accent (he listed six aliases and put his alias first, which seems like an unlikely thing to do psychologically).

Best move was probably LonelyNess' and imperfectluck's (and billymills' I have been told) alias triangle thing; it tricked almost everyone.

I'm not sure how aamto won, but dak / Mekkah / Raikage teamed up and didn't lie to each other at all, and once this had happened Gmax / LightWolf decided to share their information and also won together.

For future games I have a good idea for how to change things to make the game more enjoyable, so if you are interested in hosting one of these please PM me on IRC!

I hope everyone enjoyed the game.
  22. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

IPL inspected me night one and actually we had a conversation almost the exact opposite of what I posted (where he threatened me), but instead of exposing my alias he told me just to post that he was ByLobster. Knowing that no one would just beleive me if I publically outted it, I had to come up with a scenario where I would actually do such a thing, so I just pretended as though I tried to blackmail IPL and he refused and in order to "remain credible in my threats," I "outted" him. Apparently it worked pretty fantastically considering on the sheet no one (except dak) inspected my alias again the entire game.

Anyway, I thought it was fun. Thanks for hosting, EW.
  23. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

Liar EW!!! Fix my first period guesses! I got Gmax right too!(no idea how, but I felt it was Gmax ?_?)

Thanks for hosting EW I had fun.
  24. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

So out of interest, did anyone actually deduce anything out of the paragraphs?

Have a nice day.
  25. Accent

Accent

You're just a bunch of filthy liars >:O

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)