XY OU "If you hit a wall, hit it hard!"

Hey smogoners! I'm still on my quest of finding the perfect team for me to try and get some hard experience of the game down, as I'm new to the scene of competetiveness. I've tried to make a few teams, and they're OK, but I kept coming up against and losing to the same things. So I've tried to cover those weaknesses, giving pretty harsh counters to each, and bringing back mons that I've experimented with in the past. I played this team earlier, and won 5/7, getting to around 1140 on a new account, so it can clean up quite well, but I think I can make this team go a bit further.

Teambuilding: (I don't know how to put in those yellow boxes that people can open, so this might look a little cluttered, but I'll give it a shot).

I wanted to build the team around using a Sableye stall, as it was the first mon I was sick of facing, but also was intrigued to try out. It's amazing as a lead, and in the mega form I don't think I need to use a form of hazard removal, freeing up some slots on some of my other mons.

I then wanted a mon that could break through stalls, and smash the second mon I'm sick to death of facing, Ferro-twat.

I needed a fast threat, something that can pivot as a lead, and can start to smash some of the weaknesses of Togekiss, of which there are many :(

I needed something that could start to break the weaknesses of Landorus and Togekiss, to start rounding my team off - namely, the ice weakness of both and steel of the fromer is covered by this fire ninja monkey.

I then needed a safe switch-in to water types, to cover Landorus and Infernape, and have a counter to Azumarril and Keldeo. Enter: Grass Dragon.

Finally, I could do with an answer to the psychic/flying types that can take Infernape and Venusaur for a spin, so another bulky mon, that counters those two types, gives me hazard control and gives me a super huge answer to Lati@s really rounds off my team for me in a nice, neat way.

Who needs those yellow boxes anyway?

An in depth look at the team:

With the roles of each mon briefly described above, I can now launch into the bulk of the thread. Buckle up.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster ---> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 HP

Description

The mon I really wanted to construct the team around. It serves well as a lead that can absolutely cripple opponents, though with the prevalence of magic bounce and Sableye in general no-one should really be dumb enough to use status moves against one. Still, the ability is great, and can really keep things off my back for the rest of my team. Full EV investment into keeping this mon healthy and alive, able to tank most hits off some of the big leads.

Moveset

Will-O-Wisp - This, coupled with the pre-evolution ability prankster, lets me beat the punch on anything un priorit(ied), and lets me shut down physical attackers.
Knock Off - This is for STAB damage and a little bit of utility, allowing me to, for example, burn and knock off the rocky helmet of a Ferrothorn, while dodging the leech seed with Magic Bounce.
Fake Out - This move is just a really nice pre-damage move, letting me deal something like 5-10% of their health if it's not resisted, and lets me scout for mega stones.
Recover - Simply to keep my Sable healthy, to keep on annoying and owning.

Togekiss @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

Description

The underdog of the team. Togekiss surprises me again and again with it's pure killing power, with a huge movepool, a devestating 120 base Sp. Atk, and a respectable 85/95/115 defences, it can take a hit and keep going. I love this mon, and with it's diverse movepool, can shut down many threats, and dent anything else. Serene Grace is a ridiculous ability, giving Toge an absurd 60% flinch chance on air slash. The real reason it's here is because with a choice specs, it can OHKO a 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def+ Ferrothorn with Flamethrower, dealing around 120% of it's health. I'm unsure here of using specs or scarf. If I scarf it, it deals 76% to the Ferro, letting it OHKO me with Gyro ball, but with the scarf it outspeeds specs Keldeo and gets the 2HKO, and can use paraflinch air slash on a lot more targets. Thoughts?

Moveset

Flamethrower - This is as I say for getting the jump on Ferrothorn; Spec'd, this thing OHKOs any steel/grass/bug type (failing Venusaur, though Air slash says hi), removing massive threats like Scizor and Excadrill, though I have to be wary of Sand force and Bullet Punch respectively.
Dazzling Gleam - This, STAB'd destroys dragons and dark types. It's ridiculous. Boasting no special effect, it's a respectable 80 base damage, and the best STAB move in it's arsenal. I'd love to run Moonblast, but hey, we need to balance, right?
Air Slash - This is the second STAB, and serves to destroy the things that the other moves can't; namely, anything fighting/grass type that the D-Gleam might not merk. With only 75 base damage, and the 95% accuracy, it's hard to see why you'd put it on a Toge build without question, except it's 30% flinch chance is boosted to 60% with S-Grace. RIP.
Ancient Power - Finally, for coverage really, we get Ancient Power. This OHKOs the fire/flying birds while surviving a hit of each of them thanks to Toge's natural bulk. It also gives me a 20% chance to raise every stat while using, so ties in really well to the whole build I've tried to construct.

In all, possibly my favourite poke'mon in the current meta.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

Description

Having fell to too many of this mon's attacks, I decided to bite the bullet and stick it on my team. It's agility when scarfed is pretty unparalleled, with a massive 464 speed, allowing to pull off ridiculous U-turns. However, this mon is very common and expected, so a competent opponent will realise what I'm trying to do and will take measures if he can. The base 145 attack is stupid, letting it reach a total of 389, meaning it's just behind Excadrill in terms of raw Earthquake power.

Moveset

Earthquake - STAB damage. Not much more to say really. It can neutrally kill or dent anything that doesn't resist it, like dealing 87% to a Mega Gardevoir.
Superpower - Just a nice coverage move, but one that lets me take on the ice types that threaten this mon and my Togekiss, usually breaking them apart, though it won't survive a priority ice move. Thankfully, there aren't many ice users in OU, and of them, it's easy to predict the ones that have priority ice.
U-turn - U-turn lets me pivot and does actually surprising damage to those that are weak to bug: namely psychic and ghost types like Mew, Gengar, Celebi etc. while outspeeding all of them.
Rock Slide - Finally, a spot of coverage again, just to help bring down those pesky fire/flying birds and all round general type coverage, coming off a nice invested attack stat.

Infernape @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

Description

I needed another reliable counter to ice types, since I picked up that weakness with Venusaur AND Tyranitar. Infernape fits the bill in not only doing that but giving my team priority, a sash breaker and an all round powerhouse. Seriously, Infernape should be used so much more than he is. I mean, true, his speed stat isn't all that great, but fire/fighting, access to vacuum wave AND Mach punch with 104 in both offences and access to all the elemental punches, this guy really brings a lot to the table and a lot to the team, being a back-up Steel counter and able to decimate ferrothorn, albeit taking recoil damage, and even goes on the counter water/flying types with Thunderpunch and beating Mega Lopunny with a CC/Mach Punch, as return can't kill me unless it crits. Undecided on the item, I like the freedom Life Orb gives me but the raw damage from Choice Band and the recoil removal is nice too.

Moveset

Mach Punch -
Rather standard moveset for the fire ninja monkey. Mach Punch allows me to beat anything unpriorit(ied) and tries to patch up the lackluster speed.
Close Combat - The strongest STAB move in it's arsenal, CC punches in at a whopping 120 base, boosted further by iron fist. This thing rips through unsuspecting enemies. Seriously, it really does do some serious damage.
Thunder Punch - Coverage move, allowing me to hit water/flying types on the switch, and gives me something to hit neutrally with if locked in a battle with a certain mon, or if I'm about to die and want to go out with a bang.
Fire Punch/Flare Blitz - Undecided on which one to take, fire punch still hits very hard and gives me a bit of longevity, but there's not much that can survive a neutral Choice band boosted Flare Blitz. That's almost CB D-nite Outrage spec. Regardless, a nice STAB fire move rounds off the set and lets me tackle those ice/bug/steel/grass types.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature

Description

I needed an answer to water types that can really threaten my Landorus and Infernape, as well as a decent check to Azumarril and generally bringing a bit of bulk to the table. This thing can hit a Belly Drum Azumarril for around 87% with a Sludge Bomb, going through even a sitrus berry variant. It also checks Keldeo, while not being the biggest threat with my Toge/Sable taking the hits, I wanted a nice, safe switch in, with access to recovery and being a general pain in the ass.

Moveset

Giga Drain - Standard STAB and healing move, if I'm able to keep Venu in and heal if needs be then I will, otherwise it's base 75 damage is nothing to be sniffed at, beaten only by Petal Dance (though I'd rather have the utility over that much damage and not risk the confusion chance)
Sludge Bomb - Another STAB, allowing me to pressure fairies (since I don't have any Steel moves at all), letting me pressure things like Gardevoir (though it can cripple me with psychic if it outspeeds me - I may be open to changing the EVs on this thing to perhaps use it as a counter.)
Hidden Power [Fire] - Coverage, wonderful lovely coverage, letting me hit what they think is safe switch ins (fellow grass types, steel types) for decent damage, and providing one last final check to Ferrothorn (can you tell I hate him yet?)
Leech Seed/Synthesis - Either or, just a back-up healing move. Leech seed is preferred though it does run the risk of being bounced back.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature

Description

Finally, I needed a good check to the two types that the most recent mons incurred; a double weakness to psychic and flying, both neatly wrapped up, along with a stealth rock user and a Lati@s counter in a lovely big neat bundle of destruction. Went with a slightly Bulky version, though am open to changes on EV spreads. I'd like to keep the attack investment as it needs to perform as a Lati@s counter. I went for Unnerve > Sand Stream as none of my team really benefit from the Sand; it's a hindrance.

Moveset
Rock Slide - Again, standard coverage moves. Rock Slide for a nice STAB answer to the fire/flying types roaming, and to pressure standard flying types.
Pursuit - A lovely move that lets me trap Lati@s and by extension any psychic type that switches in, giving me basically a free OHKO on those kinds of mons. Too good of a move to pass up.
Crunch - If they do stay in, or I just want some extra damage, Crunch is a solid STAB move that hits (Yep, you guessed it) Ferrothorn for neutral damage. That little prick is finally accounted for in my team. It also serves as a decent source of damage, and rounds off the coverage aspect of this mon.
Stealth Rock - Just if I get the chance to set them, I thought I'd rather pack rocks than wish I'd packed them. While not integral to the team, if I get the chance I will set them, and alongside Togekiss (for the Garchomp leads), Sableye (for everything else) and Landorus (Pivot U-turn lead) gives me another lead if I so wish, hopefully going some way to giving my "lead" a sense of mystery.

Major Threats

Gardevoir and basically any strong fairy sees a point in my threat list.
Any psychic type that's left standing after my T-tar is dead (though Sableye can act as a back-up psychic pressure-er)
Hawlucha. This might sound odd, but I've seen it a few times now and it really goes to town on my team, outspeeding almost everything, prompting me to consider a Choice Scarf on Infernape to get the Thunder Punch off. What do you guys think?

I can't see any other threats off the top of my head from taking this team for a spin.

The Conclusion

So there we have it! As I said, I tested this earlier and went 5/2 with it, losing one because I forgot the enemy Sableye's typing and let him calm mind me, and the other getting steamrolled by a mega Gardevoir. Any help is appreciated :)

***DISCLAIMER***

I dislike rates that opt to change poke'mon from what the creator has chosen to what's strong or popular at that given time. I won't be changing the mons, as I want to keep it my team. However, everything else is up for adaptation: Movesets, EVs, items, anything. So go nuts (within reason).

One final thing; if you guys see any threats that my team can't handle, please mention them and I'll do my best to take note of them, take it down and not be surprised when they proceed to dominate me. You can't win every game after all!

Apologies for grammar/spelling mistakes. While I'm usually fairly hot shit when it comes to that, there are so many red lines from mannerisms and poke'mon names that my eyes hurt. So, sorry.

That's about it! Rate away :)

-MaChew94

I dislike rates that opt to change poke'mon from what the creator has chosen to what's strong or popular at that given time. I won't be changing the mons, as I want to keep it my team.
Don't really get why you're posting here, in the RMT forum, then. Do you just want us to point out threats for you?

No, i probably didn't explain myself so well. You can still rate the team, and post changes and observations of movsets, item choices and EV spreads, and you can suggest new or different mons, obviously, but I probably won't be up to changing the team drastically as I want to keep it my team rather than a team of popular strong Pokemon. Did that make a little more sense? You can still suggest what you want I just probably won't be subbing my team out too much.

Yeah, like Analytic was getting at above it could be hard to make meaningful changes if you're not willing to sub out certain members of the team to improve it. That being said...

The team overall is an interesting build. I'm not sure exactly at a glance how it's supposed to win, to be honest. Some of the Pokes seem to be mons that fit best on Balance and/or Stall, like Venu and Sableye, but you also have Infernape and Choice Scarf Lando-T which would also fit best on an offensive archetype. If you were to change Sableye to, say, a CM set and adjust the set accordingly, then it would be easier to build the team around the specific threats to Mega Sableye.

As for the sets themselves:

Mega Sableye - Fake Out, while it can be clutch in niche situations, is just not that great of a move for Sableye. Sableye isn't exactly dishing out big damage and it's often a wasted turn. I suppose that it can be nice for breaking Sashes but again I'm not so optimistic about it. Foul Play or Toxic lets you better deal with setup sweepers and Stall as a team style, which is especially important given your team's weakness to Jolly Charizard X with Earthquake.

Togekiss - Not too big a fan of Toge in the current metagame. For one, it gets totally walled by Heatran, which is important because nothing on your team appreciates a potential burn from Lava Plume and has no hazard control aside from Sableye if it's Mega Evolved. I would personally recommend that your replace this with a different hard hitting attacker that can lure in Ferrothorn, such as Starmie or Latios with Hidden Power Fire. Incidentally, Starmie and Latios can also Rapid Spin/Defog hazards away while you don't struggle too much against Pursuit users.

Landorus-Therian - Standard Scarf Lando-T is standard. However I'm not sure about double Choice users - is it necessary on this team? Lando's speed tier, while serviceable, does not do too much to help against positive natured boosted base 100's (looking at CharX again). However, in regards to what this team needs to check it's quite fine. Just make sure to keep it at high health if you see a potential late-game threat in the wings.

Infernape - another potentially choiced Pokemon. Infernape is okay but as you mentioned, its speed tier isn't what it used to be. Threats which hamper your whole team, such as Gengar, Lati@s, Mega Diancie, Mega Metagross, Talonflame, and even Keldeo if you don't want to risk the speed tie can switch in on certain moves and force it out. This is a big problem when you consider the lack of switchins to something like Gengar's Shadow Ball + Focus Blast coverage when backed by Life Orb.

Venusaur - what is Venusaur doing in OU without Venusaurite? Its stats, while not bad, are not great. It struggles as a Mega Pokemon to make its mark because while it can blanket check a surprising amount, it's not quite bulky enough and doesn't hit quite hard enough either. Add that to how it's Bulk Up and SD Talon bait and I'm not sure as to its place on the team. Specs Keldeo can also 2HKO with Icy Wind because regular Venu doesn't have Thick Fat.

Tyranitar - I understand where you're coming from with the Unnerve as opposed to Sand Stream, but a large part of Tyranitar's effectiveness in checking Latios and Latias is the special defence buff from Sandstorm. Say Latios drops a Draco on TTar without Sand up. According to standard Latios and your Tyranitar spread,

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar: 274-324 (67.9 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not good. Latios can just Draco again and open up your team to a Talonflame sweep. I would really recommend that you put in Sand Stream as its ability, otherwise, something just dies when Latios comes in. Additionally, this team is quite weak to Gengar. You could give Tyranitar Chople Berry to ensure that Pursuit catches Gengar, eliminating it from the field. The set would look like:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant Nature
Rock Slide / Crunch / Pursuit / Stealth Rock

As to the threats your team faces:

Mega Altaria is problematic without Venusaur, but can be checked decently but Scarf Lando-T and worn down in that way. It gets switch ins on Nape, Sableye, and Choice-locked Lando T into Earthquake. Not much enjoys Return or Hyper Voice here.

Mega Charizard X is also a big problem, as once TTar is below 50% and Lando-T is weakened slightly it can sweep with ease after a Dragon Dance. Not sure what can be done to mitigate this threat aside from smart play, Char X threatens most teams.

Megagross - I don't see the reliable switch ins. Venu will die to Zen Headbutt, Nape is outsped after it Mega Evolves, Tyranitar is not a counter and neither is Toge. Lando can come in once or twice but then it'll die to SR. Sableye can sort of take it on but it needs a free switch.

Clefable destroys Sableye lol. You can flinch it to death I guess but that's not entirely reliable. Also if it's Unaware, you don't have much to hit it aside from EQ with Lando T, which can lead to free set ups by Charizard and Altaria pre-mega.

Aside from the S Ranks, Talonflame is quite problematic once TTar goes down. Bad bad bad news, really, especially if it's not CB. SD Talon just wins if Lando isn't at high health. Bisharp can also be very annoying because there aren't many Knock Off switch ins - Nape doesn't qualify with how frail it is. Heatran also walls Toge and Sableye and can spread burn and Toxic poison, as well as set up Rocks. Mega Lopunny doesn't have many switch ins.

Overall, an interesting team, but there are some flaws that hold it back. Consider implementing some of the changes mentioned here or possibly switching team members as well.

Changes:

Sableye - Foul Play/Toxic > Fake Out

Togekiss < Starmie/Latios with HP Fire

Tyranitar - Sand Stream + Chople Berry > Unnerve + Leftovers

Last edited:

Perennial

amol selseila
hey, I believe your team would improve considerably by modifying Togekiss' set. you are using her as a Scarfer which I find to be a waste of her natural bulk, stall breaking potential and general supporting abilities. using two Choice Scarf users is viable on certain builds but I think it's redundant here with Landorus-T already occupying the role. my recommendation is below:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost
the EVs make you faster than Jolly Bisharp and maximize your bulk, letting you avoid being two hit by Latios' Psyshock, for example. by adjusting your Togekiss to the above, you gain a few things:
  1. a win condition, or pokémon that can set up and threaten an end to the game/ severely threaten your opponent in the process. win conditions are important aspects of a good competitive team and you currently lack a good one.
  2. this team struggles to break through stall teams and this variant of Togekiss helps with the problem.
  3. your team really dislikes status, burns in particular. as your main switch in to waters, Venusaur is at high risk of being burned by potential Scald's and having her survivability hindered. Sableye shares a similar loathing for being burned and with Heal Bell on Togekiss you can help those two perform their roles better.
while there are certainly several other changes that could be made to your team, this is my main suggestion without altering things too much. other small changes to think about include 1. giving 16 speed EVs to Venusaur so you can be faster than the majority of Belly Drum Azumarill you reference in her description and 2. considering Foul Play in lieu of Fake Out on Sableye to give her a consistent way to deal damage and threaten dangerous pokémon to your team, like Talonflame. those are my two cents!

Last edited:
Thanks for the rates, I'm on holiday so havent checked in a while. I need to clarify: when I said I wouldn't change my mons around, of course I'm open to new sets and ideas, but I wanted it to be MY team predominantly. Saying that, you guys talk a lot of sense, and I'll be playing around and changing it when I get back to my PC.

I wanted to make it a balanced sort of team, so tried to include a few bulky mons like T-tar > Bisharp and stuck in Venu for a bulky grass, but maybe a more offensive spin might be interesting, with sableye and maybe one other mon for switch ins, and a lot of hard hitters. I still want the grass type so I can switch into water types, but maybe its due to be switched out for something.

Again, apologies, I tried to naively state that I want to keep this team relatively as I posted it but I'm not sure what I was thinking of really, and as such, as usual, I'm open to suggestions and will be changing my team accordingly. Sorry for the confusion!

Alright, so, in keeping with the theme of balance, and after thinking about it, I agree Sableye has no place on my team, as it better fits stall like teams. This frees up a mega slot for me. I was thinking of adding a mega manectric or mega gross instead, both as hard hitters. Mega man can give me a volt-turn core, can out speed a lot of threats and can most importantly learn flamethrower. This means I can sub out Togekiss. I'd love to keep Toge, though, I'm in love with the design and the underusing of her, but, as the nature of RMTs go (again, sorry for being confusing and dumb) there are probably better choices. Another contender could be Hawlucha; ive seen this sweep whole teams, and is really interesting and really fast (I think it gets around 362-370 speed), which outspends most non mega mons. If subbing out Toge, I'd like another fairy as fat chomps and lati@s are too common; Sylveon or Clefable are good contenders here.

I can keep T-tar as the bulky switch in, as it performs some cool tasks for me, and possibly change its EVs into something more bulky.

If Venu has nothing to do on this team, but I want to keep my grass typing, perhaps a Serperior would fill the role for me, or a bulky amoongus to complete the bulk side of it.

I'd like to keep Infernape, and would probably life orb it. If I was switching to hawkish a, would it be counter productive to keep two fighting Mons? Ideally I'd like to keep the fire typing too, perhaps an offensive Heatran with earth power to give me earth control alongside Landorus.

Sorry if that was a jumble:

Switch mega Sable to Mega Manectric to give me volt turn and damage.

Keep T-tar but make it bulkier.

Switch Toge for Hawlucha, and switch Infernape for offensive modest Heatran for fire, steel and ground control, and gives me a switch into Metagross/Charizard Y at least.

With fire's water weakness down because of Heatran, I don't need grass control, so I can toy around with a defensive fairy type to replace Toge, either Sylveon or unaware Clefable.

I think that's it; that's what ive been thinking recently. When I get home I'll test it and try it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)