Illumise [QC 3/3][GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
sorry it took this long (i did it earlier but my laptop died and i couldnt retrieve it ;-;), i believe this is ready for final qc check

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Twave should be mentioned in moves as it helps a lot more vs offensive teams, as encore doesnt effect too many set up sweepers drastically

In SD when you mention the SDEF spread, also give examples of pokes that it can set up on

In UT when you say locking in a entry hazard setter, a stealth rocker would be better example than rose since no team likes more spikes going up

In TO you should mention more recipients. It isnt just frail sweepers who like it (i wouldnt call tales too frail as it has solid sdef), also ones like baracle who often find difficulty setting up due to its typing.

I dont think weather should be mentioned at all in oo, as the is no reason to use illimuse over volbeat, and its not like you would use them both

in c&c for phasers zweilous shouldnt be mentioned, assuming you dont try and set up on it you can still get the BP off (you can also keep subbing till it misses lol). I also dont feel like this needs a section as although Grumpig is a better example, they dont often carry ww and I cant think of any other common poke to use roar/ww. Taunt definitely doesnt deserve a subsection since as long as you dont try to set up on a taunt user, it wont be effected.
Also i think a section called **Offensive Pressure** should be added, as the main way to stop illimuse is to just not let it get up a sub (I cant actually think of an offensive mon that cannot break its sub

SparksBlade 3/3

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I think Twave should be mentioned in moves as it helps a lot more vs offensive teams, as encore doesnt effect too many set up sweepers drastically
did
In SD when you mention the SDEF spread, also give examples of pokes that it can set up on
iirc spdef was added by grim's suggestion, and after poli left, every special attacker at least 3hko's it, unless we're to count anything that uses a special move(like clef?) which are almost always support mons so encore is better for them anyway. i'm sorry for overlooking it earlier, pls suggest whether i should keep the spdef spread or not
In UT when you say locking in a entry hazard setter, a stealth rocker would be better example than rose since no team likes more spikes going up
every rock setter(except clef i guess) beats illumise unless we come in on predicted rocks, which comes down to prediction basically
In TO you should mention more recipients. It isnt just frail sweepers who like it (i wouldnt call tales too frail as it has solid sdef), also ones like baracle who often find difficulty setting up due to its typing.
just this left will do tomorrow when i come back from college
I dont think weather should be mentioned at all in oo, as the is no reason to use illimuse over volbeat, and its not like you would use them both
removed
in c&c for phasers zweilous shouldnt be mentioned, assuming you dont try and set up on it you can still get the BP off (you can also keep subbing till it misses lol). I also dont feel like this needs a section as although Grumpig is a better example, they dont often carry ww and I cant think of any other common poke to use roar/ww.
removed section
Taunt definitely doesnt deserve a subsection since as long as you dont try to set up on a taunt user, it wont be effected.
removed
Also i think a section called **Offensive Pressure** should be added, as the main way to stop illimuse is to just not let it get up a sub (I cant actually think of an offensive mon that cannot break its sub
made "Type Advantage" "Offensive Pressure"

Last edited:

SparksBlade

Community Leader
k done all, just need input on this now
iirc spdef was added by grim's suggestion, and after poli left, every special attacker at least 3hko's it, unless we're to count anything that uses a special move(like clef?) which are almost always support mons so encore is better for them anyway. i'm sorry for overlooking it earlier, pls suggest whether i should keep the spdef spread or not

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
k done all, just need input on this now
I cant see anything that phdef does for it so sdef spread is fine. Also i get your point about not encoring rockers (though you can switch in on clef/stunfisk) but definitely dont recommend the reader to encore roselia into spikes

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As long as you implemented Anty's suggestions, then yeah its 3/3.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
checky check
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Illumise has the ability Prankster, (AC) which helps it to pass Substitutes to its teammates, (RC) as well as annoy walls with Encore by locking them into their support moves. Although it faces competition from Volbeat as the Prankster user of choice, it is a better user of Substitute + Baton Pass because Bug Buzz is a better attack option than U-turn. Like Volbeat, however, (or some kind of transition bc the shift from "decent thing about Illumise" to "nah Illumise is bad" is kinda jarring w/o a transition) Illumise is also affected by all entry hazards and cannot function throughout the entire match. It has a hard time against offensive teams, as it is relatively frail and has difficulty setting up on even resisted hits, though it gets more room against balanced teams, (RC) and will be pivotal in letting a teammate set up and sweep.

[SET]
name: Substitute + Baton Pass
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Encore
move 4: Bug Buzz
item: Leftovers
ability: Prankster
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Prankster Substitute acts as a shield for Illumise, which and it can be passed to teammates with priority Baton Pass. Encore is used to lock the opposing Pokemon into a move that allows Illumise to set up, for example like on a Focus Blast from Raichu. Locking a Clefairy into Soft-Boiled prevents it from using Moonblast or Thunder Wave and also gives you a free turn. (that sentence might be better in Usage Tips.) Bug Buzz prevents you Illumise from being Taunt bait, and it also does relevant damage to Grumpig, which is the most notable phazer in the tier metagame. Thunder Wave can be used to slow down a setup sweeper, but it doesn't have any other specific use, nor does Illumise have room for it. Roost can be used over Bug Buzz to have for some longevity, especially on teams that lack entry hazard control, but it makes you Illumise Taunt bait with zero offensive presence.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs are used to maximize Illumise's out the bulk while letting it being able to come in on Stealth Rock at least 4 four times. Maximum Defense EVs coupled with the a Bold nature allow it to come in on resisted physical hits like from foes such as Ground- and Fighting-types better, and then Illumise can Encore them to ease setting up. Leftovers provides passive recovery, which is good because the residual damage from resisted hits and entry hazards builds up quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Illumise should be sent in on only resisted attacks, like such as a Close Combat from a Machoke, or on a setup move such as Calm Mind from users like Calm Mind Duosion, and then Encore them to get a free turn. Walls like Lickilicky and Clefairy, after which it can lock them into their support move, or possibly even Stealth Rocks in case of Clefairy . (yeah idk what happened here, please fix it yourself. and remember that it's Stealth ROCK not rocks) When given the chance, pass Substitutes to setup sweepers like (if you're listing examples, use "such as" instead of "like". if you are using it to mean "similar to", "like" is okay. idk which you were intending, so I'll leave the two "like"s in this sentence to you to edit) Shell Smash Carracosta or Nasty Plot Raichu, (RC) or to wallbreakers like Stoutland. Sometimes Baton Pass can be used without any boosts by itself to grab momentum and bring in a slow wallbreaker. Sometimes Encore is can sometimes be very obvious, and your opponent can get a free switch if they predicted right,; (ASC) therefore, it should be used carefully.

Team Options
========

Frail setup sweepers, such as like Raichu, Simipour, and Pawniard, are excellent recipients of a Substitute and threaten common switch-ins to Illumise such as like Dodrio and Rapidash. Setup sweepers that which have trouble because of their typing, like such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Beartic, and wallbreakers, like such as Stoutland and Kadabra, are also good recipients of a Substitute, which allows them to as they can weaken the opposing team without worrying about status. Illumise is very quickly worn down by all forms of entry hazards, so spinners or Defoggers, such as like Armaldo and Pelipper, (AC) respectively, are instrumental in helping Illumise to do its work over a longer course of the match. As Illumise causes many switches with Encore and the teammates it brings in with Baton Pass, entry hazard setters like such as Armaldo and Roselia are good partners to Illumise, helping as they help rack up residual damage on the opposing team. Volt Switch and U-turn users, like such as Zebstrika and Monferno, pair well with Illumise, (AC) as they keep momentum in your favor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Weather sets with Rain Dance or Sunny Day are usable, but since because a slow U-turn is preferred on such builds over Baton Pass, Volbeat is a slightly superior choice for that role chosen more often as it harder with U-Turn than Illumise. Though this makes Volbeat slightly superior, Illumise is still a fine user of the strategy, though. Toxic can be used to wear down a bulky Pokemon, as well as deter it from staying in for long, though besides that it serves no specific purpose, (AC) as Encore and Baton Pass force switches anyway. Tailwind can be used right before fainting to help the team, but it's very situational and only useful on teams consisting of slow wallbreakers,; (ASC) otherwise, (AC) Encore is almost always better.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Offensive pressure from Pokemon with super effective moves, like such as Dodrio and Rapidash, or strong neutral moves, like such as Ursaring, prevent Illumise from keeping its Substitute, which hinders it a lot from doing its job.

**Residual Damage**: Illumise is affected by all forms of entry hazards, (RC) and only has Leftovers for passive recovery. It's worn down even more quickly if it gets hit by Knock Off.

**Infiltrator**: Jumpluff and Ninjask can both hit it Illumise super effectively through its Substitute; Jumpluff can the Sub, or in Jumpluff's case, use Sleep Powder as well, and therefore. Therefore, passing a Substitute in front of these Pokemon is mostly rendered futile, (AC) as the receiver doesn't get in safely either. (AP)

Last edited:

SparksBlade

Community Leader
k i did the check, just unsure about 2 things (which i bolded) and i pm'd p squared about those, so gp 1/2 is done

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Illumise has the ability access to Prankster, which helps it easily pass Substitutes to its teammates as well as annoy walls with Encore by locking them into their support moves. Although it faces competition from Volbeat as the a Prankster user of choice, it is a better user of Substitute + Baton Pass because Bug Buzz is a better attacking option than U-Turn U-turn. Like Volbeat, Illumise is affected by all entry hazards and cannot function throughout the match if they're up. It has a hard time against offensive teams, as it is relatively frail and has difficulty setting up on even resisted hits, attacks; it gets more room functions better against balanced teams and will can be pivotal in letting a teammate set up and sweep.

[SET]
name: Substitute + Baton Pass
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Encore
move 4: Bug Buzz
item: Leftovers
ability: Prankster
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Prankster Substitute acts as a shield for Illumise, and it can be passed to teammates with priority Baton Pass. Encore is used to lock the opposing Pokemon into a move that allows Illumise to set up, for example on a such as locking Raichu into Focus Blast from Raichu. Locking a Clefairy into Soft-Boiled prevents it from using Moonblast or Thunder Wave and also gives you or locking Clefairy into Soft-Boiled, thereby giving Illumise a free turn. Bug Buzz prevents Illumise from being Taunt bait, and it also does relevant damage to Grumpig, which is the most notable phazer in the metagame. Thunder Wave can be used to slow down a setup sweeper, but it doesn't have any other specific use, nor does Illumise have room for it. Roost can be used over Bug Buzz for some longevity, especially on teams that lack entry hazard control, but it makes Illumise Taunt bait with zero offensive presence.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs are used to maximize Illumise's bulk while letting it come in on Stealth Rock at least four times. Maximum Defense EVs coupled with a Bold nature allow it to come in on resisted physical hits from foes such as Ground- and Fighting-types better, and then Illumise can Encore them to ease setting up Substitute. Leftovers provides Illumise with passive recovery, which is good because the residual damage from resisted hits and entry hazards builds up quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Illumise should be sent in on only resisted attacks, such as a Close Combat from a Machoke, or on a setup move such as Calm Mind from Duosion, and then use Encore them to get a free turn. Walls like such as Lickilicky and Clefairy, (RC) can also are a free switch-in opportunity for be used to give Illumise a free switch, and then which it can Encore it can Encore lock them into their a support move with Encore, or possibly Stealth Rock in case of Clefairy. When given the chance, pass Substitutes to set-(RH)up sweepers such as Shell Smash Carracosta or and Nasty Plot Raichu or to wallbreakers such as Stoutland. Sometimes Baton Pass can be used by itself to grab momentum (unbold this lol) and bring in a slow wallbreaker. Encore can sometimes be very obvious, and your opponent can get a free switch if they predict right; therefore, it should be used carefully.

Team Options
========

Frail setup sweepers, such as Raichu, Simipour, and Pawniard, are excellent recipients of a Substitute and threaten common switch-ins to Illumise such as Dodrio and Rapidash. Setup sweepers that have trouble because of their typing, such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Beartic, and wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Kadabra, are also good recipients of a Substitute, (AC) which allows them to weaken the opposing team without worrying about status moves/ailments (pick one). Illumise is very quickly worn down by all forms of entry hazards, so spinners or Defoggers, such as Armaldo and Pelipper, respectively, are instrumental in helping Illumise to do its work over a longer the course of the match. As Illumise causes many switches with Encore and the teammates it brings in with Baton Pass, entry hazard setters such as Armaldo and Roselia are good partners to Illumise, helping rack up residual damage on the opposing team. Volt Switch and U-turn users, such as Zebstrika and Monferno, pair well with Illumise, as they keep momentum in your team's favor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Weather sets with Rain Dance or Sunny Day are usable, but because a slow U-turn is preferred on such builds over Baton Pass, Volbeat is a slightly superior choice for that role; (semicolon) Illumise is still a fine user of the strategy, though. (unbold this too) Toxic can be used to wear down a bulky Pokemon, as well as and deter it from staying in for long, though besides that but it serves no specific purpose besides that, as Encore and Baton Pass force switches anyway. Tailwind can be used right before fainting to help support the team, but it's very situational and only useful on teams consisting of slow wallbreakers; otherwise, Encore is almost always better.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Offensive pressure from Pokemon with super effective moves, such as Dodrio and Rapidash, or strong neutral moves, such as Ursaring, prevent Illumise from keeping its Substitute up, which hinders it a lot from doing it'(remove apostrophe)s job.

**Residual Damage**: Illumise is affected by all forms of entry hazards and only has Leftovers for passive recovery. It's worn down even more quickly if it gets hit by Knock Off.

**Infiltrator Users**: Jumpluff and Ninjask can both hit Illumise super effectively through its Substitute; Jumpluff can use Sleep Powder as well.(space)Therefore, (AC) passing a Substitute in front of these Pokemon is mostly rendered futile, as the receiver doesn't won't get in safely either.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)