Illusion Paranoia [Suggestions Please!]

Welcome! This is my first RMT and post on Smogon, but this is also my debut into competitive battling! I really hope to get better; I've studied the metagame and just recently got Pokemon Online to test my team(s). Now just as a pre-warning, I enjoy being different/special so I generally don't make "Meta" teams. This is an example, I hope you like my team! Please give comments on the EV's, moveset, and anything else you feel could use a change! Thanks in advance!

Team Obejective:
- Pokemon is a game of advantages, and the player with the highest advantage has a better chance of coming out on top. The best way to gain the advantage in to make your opponent waste a turn, and lose something as a result. This team, thanks to Team Preview, can make my opponent Paranoid on who Zoroark's Illusion might replace. Most of the Pokemon can capitalize on a misprediction and make my opponent lose a Pokemon before they figure out who is/isn't Zoroark. But before you dis my team, you must look at the unique movesets designed to maximize efficiency.

- Team Building Process -

Obvivous Pokemon is obvious...

Espeon works great on this team. Magic Bounce could punish my opponent if he thinks it is Zoroark, and if he thinks it is Espeon, but it is Zoroark, I get no Entry Hazards. It has great synergy with Zoroark, plus with Espeon's high SpAtk, it can dent any/most leads.

Breloom is good for this team, even though it does not directly use Zoroark's ability to it's fullest. My Breloom is like no others, and packs a few surprises. ;D

Dragonite. One of my favorite Pokemon and can work surprisingly with Zoroark. It resists what Zoroark is weak to, and I usually make Zoroark pose as Dragonite to remove it's counters and prepare an end-game sweep.

Gengar also works perfectly with Zoroark as it's cover-up, as it can eliminate potential counters and walls, while providing perfect synergy with Zoroark.

Finally, I decided I should have someone "defensive", or at least pretend to be defensive but unleash an unsupecting powerful attack, and Gliscor fit like a glove.

- The In-Depth Look -

Paranoia @ Dark Gem
Trait: Illusion
EV's: 72 Atk / 184 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [ICE]
- Sucker Punch

Pretty basic stuff here. Dark Gem can give me a 50% boost to any STAB move, O/2HKOing a lot, while not taking Recoil or being Choice-locked. Flamethrower is a must, it removes Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, and anything that resists my STAB's. An extra 5% accuracy in Dark Pulse could be crucial, and outweighs the extra 5 BP of Night Daze. Sucker Punch can hit many unsuspecting foe's with STAB and Dark Gem. This fools many people. HP Ice is to rid my self of Dragon-types and the EVER threatening Gliscor. The EV's spread lets it so the all-important Sucker Punch can hit strong, without forfeiting too much SpAtk. Speed is maxed out to outsepeed and KO as much as possible.

Two-Tail @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magic Bounce
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

This is a different Espeon lead. Generally, I lead Espeon to prevent the immediate laying of Entry Hazards, and it generally does better when Zoroark is not imitating it. I enjoy both Psyshock and Psychic to hit Specially or Physically depending on the opponent. Shadow Ball is a good special move that is used because of Espeon's shallow movepool diversity, and HP Fight is used as coverage with both Shadow Ball and Psychic/shock. I need maximum Speed and SpAtk [/obv.]

Mr. Mushroom @ Ice Gem
Trait: Technician
EV's: 252 Atk / 184 SpAtk / 72 Spe
Rash (+SpAtk, -SpDef)
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Hidden Power [ICE]

Now I know what your thinking; that guy's lost his marbles. But in fact, I worked very hard perfecting this Breloom, considering I had nothing to go on but my own new-found brains. The reason my nature/EV's/Item are all the way they are is to OHKO Breloom's biggest threat, and my worst enemy: Gliscor. I can Spore the opponent, who then switches into Gliscor (because it isn't Zoroark), who will get hit with a surprise. A 60 BP, Techinician, Ice Gem Hidden Power Ice, with the following Spread always OHKO's a 252/0 Gliscor on the switch, instantly giving me an advantage. The reast of the moves are pretty basic, 187 BP Bullet Seed is nice, as well as STAP Technician Priority Mach Punch. The absence of Toxic Orb might also think that it is Zoroark, resulting in a lost turn.

Dragonite @ Normal Gem
Trait: Multiscale
EV's 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Dragonite works surprisingly well with Zoroark. Dragonite is usually the Pokemon that Zoroark feints, as Dragonite resists Bug/Dark, and they can both learn Flamethrower, as not to give the Illusion away. I much like Gems as I can fake a Choice Set, and surprise them with a Gem-Boosted ExtremeSpeed. Everything else is pretty standard stuff.

Kirby's Evil Twin @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EV's: HP 4 / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Zoroark posed as Gengar works well too thanks to their perfect synergy. Specs Gengar will make the opponent pay more any miscalculation the opponent may make. Moves and basic coverage stuff, with a STAB Shadow Ball.

Clamp @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, - SpAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Night Slash

As stated above, the use of a Flying Gem + Acrobatics could make the opponent think it is Zoroark, and waste a turn, allowing me to use a 200+ BP Acrobatics. The EV's are meant to give it as much offensive capabilities as possible. The moves are pretty standard, hitting a lot for at least neutral damage.

Please give positive comments, and I hope you like my first team.

Personally I would run dual-screens on Espeon to add a bit of defense to your team and give it the Leftovers instead of Choice Specs, run the sub-disable set on Gengar because this would add, again, a bit more defense and versatility to your team, and the use of two Choice Specs is not generally a good idea, use Outrage over Dragon Claw on Dragonite because Dragon Claw should only be used on the defensive Roost set, which you aren't running, and replace the Normal Gem with a Lum Berry. I would also try running a Rapid Spinner like Starmie. Dragonite almost requires it because Stealth Rock would ruin it's ability to set-up. I would replace Gliscor with Starmie running an offensive Rapid Spin set. Generally looks like this:

Starmie - Leftovers
Ability - Natural Cure
Timid Nature
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 SpE
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

One other change I would make is to run Life Orb or Expert Belt on Zoroark. The amount of coverage Zoroark has allows it to run Expert Belt perfectly and dish out some mass damage.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,
Nice team you have here, but I have some suggestions that I think would help your team really click. As said above, Starmie would be a great addition, but Life Orb > Leftovers on Starmie if you decide to take it on. Life Orb helps Starmie get the OHKO's and 2HKO's it should be getting and your attacks will be a bit lacking without it. Anyway using Choice Specs on Gengar isn't ideal, even on pure offensive sets as Gengar needs his sub to beat many threats including Scizor and Ttar. So use Substitute > Psychic and Life Orb > Choice Specs for Gengar. It lets him switch moves freely, while being safe from behind a sub and still hitting really hard. Timid is also something you should consider to outspeed Virizion, Terrakion and Landorus among others, but I too prefer the extra power of Modest. Anyway although you like HP [ICE] on Breloom to beat Gliscor, if you add Starmie he is no longer relevant. So switching Brelooms SpA EV's into HP and using Swords Dance > HP [ICE] works far better than your current set and makes Breloom scary strong and also has nice bulk to take a hit or 2. Your team seems a bit weak to Dragon offense right now. With your inability to lay SR without prediction and no steel types, Dragons such as Salamence and Dragonite look very troublesome for you to face. Using Choice Specs on Espeon isn't the best way to use it as its big win was getting Magic Bounce, and Espeon is very easy to switch into once locked in. This is why I suggest you use Stealth Rock Metagross > Espeon. Metagross has amazing bulk and can ensure you get rocks up without having to rely on prediction and can also hit hard off of his great attack stat. Added to this is that him and Dragonite can soften up each others counters to the point where the other can get rid of whats left
GL with the team, Metagross set below
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
EV's: 252HP/ 220Atk/ 36Spe
Stealth Rock / Bullet Punch/ Zen Headbutt/ Earthquake

Thanks everyone for giving some advice!

First off, SubDisable Gengar would exactly compliment my team, as that would not give my team an offensive push. Like I said, as soon as my opponent makes a miscalculation, I need to capitalize on it, to remove their Pokemon. I will test a SubGengar with Life Orb without disable though, and see how it works out.

Espeon: I don't think a Dual Screens Espeon would benefit as, if my opponent messes up, I get a Reflect, which I likely would've gotten in the first place. I do like the idea of SR Metagross, but so far, quite a few people have fallen for my Magic Bounce Espeon, but I will test it.

Dragonite: I will test it, but I'm not sure if I like being locked in...

I will probably change Breloom for Starmie, but I will put LO on it.

@ThatsMyLatios: I have spent the last week or so reading it 24/7 trying to get into the gist of Pokemon, but this is trying to catch opponent's off-guard, so all-out-attacking movesets on these Pokemon has come in handy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)