I'm gonna Soak Up the Sun!

This is my first RMT, so I'm sorry if anything is bad.

My Team at a Glance

Team Building Process
Instead of building this team around the competitive style, I wanted to build it around Pokemon I could find have in any of my games, while still being competitive. If I couldn't find a Celebii, well too bad, so sad, can't use it here. As long as this team defeats most of its battles, I will make it in my game. So far, I have tested it out on the Pokemon Online server, and it got me around the 1100s ranks. But in the Smogon server, I could only get it around the 950s. Since most people in the Smogon server must know what they're doing, I decided that my team isn't as good as I hoped it was.

This guy sets up unlimited sun.

Donphan is my physical wall, spiker, and spinner. I switch into it when the opponent has a Tyrannitar lead.
Porygon2 is my special wall.

Heatran is my special sweeper. Sawsbuck is my physical sweeper. It supports the team with Aromatheraphy. I chose it over the common Venusaur because I noticed that not many people uses a Venusaur, and because I don't have access to a Chlorophyll Venusaur. Thank god I decided to catch the Deerling while I was playing the game.

This has Cloud Nine, which negates the sun. I am free to use water moves to get rid of the opponent's fire and ground types. This can also get rid of the opponent's weather starting Pokemon so Ninetails can shine!

I decided to put in Conkeldurr in place of Golduck, like Aberrant17 suggested. I didn't need a Pokemon dedicated to killing other wheaters, because sand teams are my main weakness. Sawsbuck can take care of rain teams, and Ninetails and Heatran can take care of Hail teams.

My team lacks of Wish support and a Rock type move, but I find ways to get around them. Also, some may think I need a spin blocker, but Stealth Rock only takes one move to set up.

Ninetales (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Rest
- SolarBeam
This guy uses its awesome ability to set up the sunlight. This is going to soak up the sun! who cares about walking on sunshine (impossible to do) while you could be soaking it up? Will-o-Wisp is there to break down walls and Physical sweepers. Rest is there to heal it, which will wake up by Lum Berry. There are two attacks there, to do damage, even though I'm going to let this die if the other guy has no weather starting Pokemon. It used to hold an Eject Button, but I got rid of that, just because I needed the Lum Berry to heal it from Dynamicpunch on Machamp, which I will burn down! Besides, I play by Item Clause rules, so I needed to use this.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 Def / 156 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
This guy holds Leftovers, just because Porygon2 can't. Sturdy allows a definite Stealth Rock, while Leftovers heal Donphan from Stealth rock damage when it comes in, allowing for a definite Rapid Spin. Stone Edge and Earthquake destroys most Pokemon. I used to have Fire Fang, but water damage would be weakened under the sun, so it already has an advantage in the sun. Please note that I am the cheapest person you'll ever meet, and I feel like I must have every Pokemon on this team take advantage of the sun.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 200 HP / 52 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
THANK YOU EVIOLITE! YOU ARE THE BEST THING OF THE 5TH GENERATION! This is the first pokemon I thought I should mix up the EVs up a little. I don't understand why some people don't use the 252/252/4 spread. Could someone explain this to me? Recover is there to let the wall survive longer than usual. Solarbeam takes advantage of the sun, because I'm cheap. Thunderbolt is there since I can't use Thunder in the sun or else I'd rather be using Zap Cannon. Psychic puts down Machamp and Gengar.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 Def / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This guy's gonna tell everyone to lighten up! Sorry, I'm obsessed with the song, which is why I wanted to use a sun team. Flamethrower and Earth Power are STAB. Hidden Power Ice dominates over dragons and Gliscor, which what my ingame Heatran has. I switch into this beast when I predict a ground type move because of Air Balloon. Flash cannon is supposed to take down ice and rock types, but hail teams are rare, and rock types aren't very popular these days. Any suggestions on what move to use instead of Flash cannon are welcomed.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Megahorn
- Aromatherapy
Sawsbuck holds the Expert Belt because I don't want it to hold the Choice Band. Being stuck on Aromatherapy stinks, but this pokemon rocks under the sun. I don't think I would mind if the opponent's Hydreigon died because Sawsbuck could use a boosted Megahorn or Jump Kick, or if Gastrodoon died because I used a boosted Horn Leech. Aromatheraphy heals the team from Toxic and Paralysis. It used to hold the Life Orb, but I got rid of that since my team has no way of healing by using Wish and Life Orb kept on giving me troubles. I can only use this thing for less than 10 moves with the life orb, unless if the opponent is stupid enough to use
a Delibird, and it uses Present and heals me.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
Thank you Aberrant for suggesting this pokemon. Flame Orb activates guts on the already superior attack that I bestowed upon it. So far, it has been a beast in my team. Payback makes sure no ghost can ever haunt me again. Mach Punch gets stab and priority, to use as a revenge killer. It is very bulky; has 289 defense. It's the only Pokemon that doesn't take advantage of the sun.

Pokemon I used to have on my team

Golduck (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
One move for each of the weather starters. Best anti weather Pokemon there is. I got rid of it because of a suggestion, and because most of the pokemon on my team can already get rid of at least one other weather starter.

Threat list
Abomasnow- Since Ninetails is faster than any other weather starting Pokemon most of the time, its weather will most likely not go first. Upon seeing this guy, I could use Flamethrower, but the opponent will switch by the time it gets a chance to hit. I probably should tuck Ninetails away.

Tyranitar- I can't make Ninetails stay in with him. He will kill me with either Stone Edge or Earthquake. I learned that he always uses Stealth Rock first, so I switch to Donphan. I hate him. Can't beat him? Join him. But no one sings songs about sandstorms, so I'm stuck with either sun or rain. (Feel the rain on your skin)

Hippowdon- I hate him too. He is so hard to take down, even with Super Effective moves.

Politoed- The only Threat he is to my team is the fact that it changes weather, like Abomasnow. Horn Leech would probably kill him, but many of these guys hold Focus Blast or Ice Beam too.

Conkeldurr- I can't burn him, or else he will use Guts to his advantage. He takes out 3 of my Pokemon with a simple Mach Punch.

Haxorus- This guy is beast. He kills every one of my Pokemon, even a lot on Donphan, but not kill him. The only thing I have that can outspeed him after a myriad of Dragon Dances is probably Sawsbuck.

Jirachi- I got nothing that can prevent him from using Body Slam + Iron Head

Kingdra- Dragon is the only thing super effective against him, and when he is under rain, he's beast. I can only do damage that does a considerable amount of damage.

Gliscor- I could take him down with Golduck's Ice Beam or Heatran's Hidden Power, but I need them to take out the opponent's weather starters. Even though Golduck could outspeed him, I have to sacrifice a Pokemon to send Golduck out, or else this beast will OHKO Golduck.

Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus- Basically the same Pokemon. Sawsbuck could switch in, but gets killed if they use Dragon Pulse, Outrage, or Psychic. (Megahorn on him)

Machamp- This lead is like Conkeldurr. I could burn him with Will-o-Wisp, since most carry No Guard.

Salamence- This beast from the 3rd gen isn't seen a lot these days, but is still a threat. Unless I sacrifice a Pokemon, I can't kill him.

Sigilyph- Can anyone give me advice on how to overcome 3 Cosmic Powers, Psycho Shift, and Stored Power?

Volcarona- With 2 Quiver dances, I'm going to get pwned, even if I have Porygon2 still alive.

Blissey- I never learned how to wall break. I could use any physical move, but only 2 of my Pokemon have physical moves.

Snorlax- This idiot keeps on walling me. I can't kill him. Curse him! No really, he has curse on him, which makes me attack at most 3%. (mommy, look, I found a hyperbole) btw, its not the only hyperbole in this RMT.

Tentacruel- Only Porygon2 can kill it, and that's with Thunderbolt.

Vaporeon- With Wish and Hydration, not to mention weaknesses only found on 2 of my useable Pokemon, How am I supposed to kill it?

Thunderous- He's that awesome.

Ghost types in general- Gengar can be easily taken down by Psychic, but what about the others? I can't take them down easily, unless if I use strong moves.

Any advice is welcomed, and I will change my team according to your suggestions, as long as you give me a reason on why I should make those changes.

It probably took you a while to read this, so I would like to thank you for your time.

Two suggestions for your team:

1. You need a dedicated Excadrill counter for Sand teams. You have nothing that can outspeed it in the sand, and I have concerns about Golduck's ability to perform in an OU environment. Bulk Up Conkeldurr should fulfill this role nicely, and also solves your Ttar problem.

2. Donphan. First of all, you seem to be forgetting that Donphan can function in the sun with or without Fire Fang, since the sun effectively eliminates its Water-type weakness (although frankly, I like the idea of Fire Fang). Second, you might want to try changing your EVs to cater to its Special Defense, which your opponents will target. Without Sp. Def. investment, special attackers can kill it with a cough. Most people won't expect it to take a special attack and be able to K.O. back if it's under 100% HP.

Also a note on Sigilyph: you CANNOT, under any circumstances, allow it to set up on you, or it's good game. Taunt will stop it in its tracks, and Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail will Phaze it nicely. Other than that, you'll have to switch to something with a super effective attack and annihilate it ASAP. I should mention that Dark-types will wall it to high hell, since most Sigilyph have only Stored Power as a direct attacking move. If you can't fulfill any of the above criteria, then you'll have to pray to the hax gods for a lucky crit. ;)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your advice. I've put conkeldurr in place of golduck and fixed Donphan's evs and moveset. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)