1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

I'm Still Waiting (Peaked #3)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by RhyssaFireheart, Sep 25, 2011.

1. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

INTRODUCTION
    Show Hide
    After I made my Pure offense RMT and successfully peaking #19, I decided to
    make my own Stall team but it wasn't that easy.
    I got some help from Pokekazamm, who is a great stall team user.
    Since Blissey was used way too much and was just abused too much in stall I decided to challenge myself to make a stall team without Blissey.
    The increase of Gastro was getting higher and higher and it was a great addition in Blissey place.
    I'm Still Waiting is a song I like and I decided to show it here.
    So here is the team.
    This team peaked #3 over a long period of 3 weeks.
    This team is very solid and has achieved many goals.

Team Building Process
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    I started off by using Skarmory who was the best candidate for my Spiker.
    [​IMG]
    The I needed a stealth rocker and Heatran was the best user for Stealth rock.
    [​IMG]
    Now I needed Latias who could take my defenses core better
    [​IMG]
    Gastrodon was the best user who could take all my special attacks.
    Jirachi was really great to for special defenses and Iron Head flinches get rid of major threats.
    Conkeldurr was awesome aswell and was asked to be used for this team.

[​IMG]
    I'm Still Waiting
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

-Spikes
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind

Skamory is my phazer and my spiker. Skarmory puts the icing on the cake when it comes to walling things out. Brave Bird takes a chunk out of anything not Steel-type, Roost means that Skarm can work independently and Taunt and Whirlwind use the team's entry hazards to their fullest effect.
    Overall skarmory serves as a switch in to bulky set up sweepers and can take pretty much any attack and either phaze or set up hazards. Heatran does a nice job at attracting Ground attacks, which Skarm can happily switch into. Not really much else to say. Its job is to get Spikes up, then Whirlwind + Roost to be annoying and get Spikes damage. When Infernape or another Fire Pokemon comes in, I switch to Heatran, Gyarados.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    I like this Heatran because i personally hate choice items. Its been my personal experience that being locked into one item Hinders a pokemon too much. Beyond that, Skamory is a highly effective Fire Type attack bait. As such, its not difficult to get Heatran in. I chose Fire Plume because the current meta game has a niche for causing tons of switches.

So I believe that inflicting burn status on the incoming EQ user is highly useful. It allows Skamory to Set up quicker and make sweeps much better However most of the time it doesn't turn out that way.

[​IMG]

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

The main counter for my team it can Tank Electric, Water, Ice which can ruin my team most of the time and Gastrodon stops that.

My dedicated special wall. Though not as bulky as something like Blissey or Snorlax, Gastrodon's ability makes him an amazing anti-metagame poke. With immunity to water and electric attacks, He is able to threaten both Rain and Sand walling and eliminating major weather Abusers.

Specially defensive Gastrodon is my only answer to counter offensive rain team and provide me a reliable counter to Thundurus (except grass knot one) Without him rain team are to difficult to counter. Scald is for stab and burn rate, ice beam for dragon and flying pokemon, toxic to cripple Virizion who try to switch and recover for you know what .

[​IMG]

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    - Roar
    I see many Latis everywhere. Most of them scare fighting types into switching. And, like just that, this Latias can happily set up a couple Calm Minds, and after that, she can sweep. Yes, she doesn't have max'd out Special Attack. This is because Bulky Latias can take hits directed to Scizor and Ferrothorns very nicely. As for the set, Calm Mind will give Latias to be one of the major threats in this metagame. She is dangerous even after 1 calm mind. Against Jellicents, Latias gets burned, and can happily set up 2 or more Calm Minds. Right when my opponents think Latias is down, there comes the move everyone hates, RECOVER![​IMG]

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Bulk Up
    - Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Payback
    Conkeldurr is my answer to those annoying common sandstorm pokemon such as excadrill, ferrothorn, tyranitar, etc etc. usually, drain punch is for reliable recovery he doesnt have outside of rest. Mach punch is for priority to kill focus sash users. And payback with drain punch gets almost unresisted coverage. The evs are for him to wall all those retarded sandstorm sweepers. while hitting back really really really hard. Leftovers to neutralize sandstorm or to provide recovery in case of non weather teams.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 33 Spe
    - Thunder Wave
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Protect

My final Pokemon of the team Jirachi is one of the best Staller there is and can break stall very easily while setting up aswell.
    Thunderwave cripples really fast Scarfers and mons also making Iron Head flinch better. Wish gives my Jirachi living also It can be used to revive my other pokemon teams health. Protect allows me to scout my opponents attacks.

Jirachi Main role is too stop huge threats by iron head flinches
    that's why I have extra speed on Jirachi also my team can suffer from Landorus that is why jirachi can wall attacks with and also wall Stone Edge.

Conclusion
    This is a very nice and competitive team, I am testing it out on PO and having a nice winning Streak but overall this team is very nice and deals with many threats. Team building and Intro will be done when I peak a high and respectful #.
    Rate!

Importable! (open)
    Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Roar
    - Dragon Pulse
    Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Slack Off
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 33 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Protect

2. pokekazzam

pokekazzam

nice team but dont you think suicune and gastrodon is a little redundant?
    other than that it is great
  3. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

Thanks for the rate :) Gastrodon is there to take hits that suicune can die against like thunder/thunderbolt.
    Also Heatran can tank an Grass knot.
  4. Ebondragonx

Ebondragonx

I would have to agree with pokekazzam. Since you're already running a Faladran core, another bulky water like Suicune is pretty redundant. There are plenty of great coverage 'mons that would perform better in that slot, such as Sheer Force LO Nidoking, Metagross, Thundurus, etc. With the amount of bulk you're already sporting, a faster sweeper that takes at most 1 turn to set up would be your best bet. You may also want to consider a rapid spinner, such as Hitmontop/Forretress/Starmie, because you have no way of preventing your opponent from setting up SR and full layers or spikes/toxic spikes. 3 members of your team take full damage from entry hazards (4 if Heatran loses his balloon), and 2 will succumb to toxic spikes.

One last thing, the synergy of your teams seems to be a little off. While the Faladran core obviously works great together, and CM Roar Latias is the perfect phazer to abuse alongside Skarmory, your last 2 members seem to be haphazardly placed. With Toxic on Gastrodon and 2 members running high burn rate moves, the paralysis support from Jirachi doesn't seem to be benefiting your team as well as it would help a team full of 70-90 base speed bulky set-up sweepers.

Hopefully this helps! And good team so far :)
  5. Hasoonie17

Hasoonie17

This looks like a great team dude, just one minor nitpick. Consider running body slam instead of t-wave on Jirachi, incase they decide to switch into a random ground type. It happens sometimes so its worth trying. If you do decide to switch out Suicune, you could try a Choice Band Dragonite as he has excellent clean up power once your opponent is worn down with paralysis/entry hazards. He also has access to ExtremeSpeed, which sports +2 priority and is faster than basically any other attacking priority move in the game bar Fake Out.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fire Punch
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - ExtremeSpeed

Great team otherwise!
  6. Harlot

Harlot

Replace Suicune with SubDisable Gengar, 2 bulky waters is redundant and Gengar blocks the spin.

Set:
    Show Hide
    Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Focus Blast
  7. KorKonT

KorKonT

I wouldn't recommend a subdisable gengar. It really isn't all that good. I would recommend using Pain Split over Disable.
  8. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¬°YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Hey there.

Alright, there are a couple of things that can cause your team major problems: SD Life Orb Lucario, Bulk Up Conkeldurr, CB / SD Terrakion. An SD Toxicroak also causes you problems; Skarmory can take a +2 Cross Chop with about 20% remaining though so it isn't as much of a problem.

As you've noticed, all of those threats are fighting types, and since Latias cannot take powerful hits such as Payback from Conkeldurr or Stone Edge from Terrakion you really need another answer to these pokemon. Something that would work out very well for you would be a Slowbro, as it can decimate all of these threats quite easily. Suicune isn't really doing too much for your team, so I suggest that you replace him.

Defensive Slowbro
    Show Hide
    Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Fire Blast
    - Psychic
    - Scald

Slowbro forms a great physically defensive core along with Skarmory, and will make it much more difficult for the opponent to break through your defenses. Psychic lets Slowbro annihilate Toxicroak and Conkeldurr; Fire Blast lets Slowbro incinerate pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Forretress, who can otherwise set up hazards against you and make it much harder for you to win. Forretress can rapid spin as well, making it much harder for your to wear down your opponent. A Relaxed nature is chosen over Bold in order to be slower than Brave Conkeldurr, who can otherwise deal massive damage to Slowbro with Payback.

Definitely run Body Slam over Thunder Wave on Jirachi, and keep Protect over Ice Punch. Wish makes it much easier for Jirachi to survive, while Body Slam can paralyze ground type switch-ins such as Excadrill and make them worthless.

Finally, run Leftovers over Air Balloon on Heatran, and run Protect over Earth Power. Air Balloon does not serve much use on a specially defensive Heatran as it will be taking hits constantly, thus breaking it's balloon. Earth Power also isn't too useful on a wall variant of Heatran, while Protect is extremely useful as it lets Heatran net an extra turn of Leftovers recovery. It also lets it scout the opponent, which is very useful when fighting against pokemon such as Choice Scarf Rotom-W.

Overall, really solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!
  9. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Hey man, this looks like a pretty solid team, it doesn't have any huge threats which is a good thing. But as others have said, Suicune is off. Looking at this team, it seems to have a hilariously difficult problem dealing with bulky waters. So for a simple solution, I suggest Celebi. Sorry I don't play with Celebi much, but the physically defensive set might work. Also it will take some pressure off of Skarmory as a physical wall.

Out side of that you team has 2 small weaknesses, toxic stall teams, and Espeon, these problems could be solved with a phaser like Gyarados or Dragonite with a rapid spinner, but it would require a serious team overhaul, and they are not huge conserns.

For some minor nick picks, I highly suggest you switch over earthpower on heatran to Toxic, to more easily deal with in comming bulky waters, or protect to heal up some health. Also consider earth power over Gastrodon to deal with Tentacruel and Jellicent easier.
  10. Howard

Howard

I have to agree with a lot of the comments above. Suicune is really performing a lot of the same roles on your team as Gastro, and is really outclassed this gen by a lot of other bulky waters. While someone suggested Choice Band Dragonite over your current Suicune, originally I thought that would be an excellent suggestion. Then ShakeItUp noted the Mons that can cause a lot of problems to your team. One pokemon that handles your weaknesses pretty well is one of the pokes that you're actually weak to: Conkeldurr. His synergy doesn't hurt the team, and he serves as a decent check to both Lucario and the fanny bandit Terrakion. Also, run Body Slam over T-Wave on Rachi. 60% para might as well be 100% para. Conkeldurr set:

Conkelderp @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120HP/ 252Atk/ 136SpD
    Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
    -Payback
    -Mach Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Bulk Up

Run Brave so you can underspeed Slowbros and get the double power from Payback. Hope I helped (: GLB
  11. New World Order

New World Order Licks Toads
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Like everyone else has already said. Suicune has no role on this team. The core of Skarmory+Gastrodon+Heatran+Latias have weather checked from front to end. The group of Skarmory+Heatran+Jirachi have dragons checked from front to end. You've pretty much got most threats covered between these guys.

First of all, Protect is kinda useless on Jirachi. You might as well run Stealth Rock in this slot. This allows Heatran to do its job easier, which I will get to later. You also might as well run Body Slam over Thunder Wave, that way, you might paralyze the Excadrill/ Landorus/ Gliscor switchin, which will make life a lot easier. As well, Jirachi has no business against Landorus. There's this move called Earthquake, Jirachi definately walls that all day long, Skarm is your best bet against Lando.

First of all, on Heatran, run Leftovers instead of Air Balloon. That recovery goes a long way for a defensive minded team like this one. Run Toxic instead of Earth Power. With specially defensive Heatran, you're not going to be attacking much anyways. Double status is great considering the stallish nature of your team. As well, with Stealth Rock on Jirachi, you can run Protect in this slot, which helps rack up that Toxic damage, get some Leftovers recovery as well as scout for random Hidden Power Grounds.

In this last slot I suggest using Jellicent. While you may say, well isn't that just replacing a bulky water with another? Well no. Most fighting types are physical, meaning Latias isn't going to enjoy taking their hits one bit. As well, you don't want your hard earned hazards being ruined by Forretress or Starmie do you? As well, this team doesn't like opposing stall teams at all. Jellicent can deal with a good chunk of them with Taunt+double status. Think about Jellicent as a bulky ghost and stallbreaker rather than a bulky water. As long as Terrakion isn't +2 Life Orb, Jellicent can take it as well.

Show Hide

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Bold
    248 Hp/ 216 Def/ 44 Spe
    Scald
    Toxic
    Taunt
    Recover
  12. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

First of all Jirachi isn't more of my Dragonite counter since I outspeed bulky sets and If I change Jirachi then the Synergy will be way off as you said,
    Also I will change Suicune for a better Mon but there are many Ideas I have too see first.
    Thanks for the nice comment, as awesome dragonite would be, my team wouldn't really benefit from it as suicune because Like I said Choice sets are usually wasted because of the switching and your opponents predicted switches very well it will be hard for dragonite to keep up.

Thanks for the compliment. Slowbro would be awesome but Suicune is just like Slowbro but Slowbro seems much more Interesting I will test that out.
    Jirachi having body slam is actually quite good, I don't know what I was thinking putting in Twave. I like Air Balloon on Heatran better man it just too good and makes heatran work independently.

Toxic teams can be really annoying but that's why I have Heatran and Skarm. Celebi isn't really good because it will increase Dark/Ghost type attacks ruining my team, Jirachi, Celebi and Latias is a bad core but thanks I really like all the rates you do.

Conkeldurr is great addition to this team I will test it out and thanks for the compliment.

Jellicent is also a great Addition to the team, I will test it out aswell.
    and yeah Fighting types can touch this team but they don't do that much.

Soulfly

I didnt read other peoples comment so i apologise if i'm repeating things.

First thing i notice is : You have no answer to water/grounds .
    You can phaze alot , so they wont be setting up lets say , but still they will cause you alot of trouble. Therefor get HP Grass over HP electric on suicune OR replace suicune completely as he is a bit over the top to say it like that.
    In addition to that , the only real thing you have against bulky waters is entry hazards , yet you have no rapid spinner to maintain your hazards.
    Jellicent / Gengar / Dusclops all make for nice spinblockers for that matter .

As soon as heatran dies (having no recovery at all except for jirachi, this wont take too long) you have no answer to Ferrothorn/Scissor except phazing.

So allot of the possible threats are sovled by phazing , but i think you understand , this will be tricky.

I suggest changing suicune , for either a jellicent , gengar , dusclops OR get a reliable sweeper. A mixmence would work nicely on your team i think , a dragonite would too . As the team is now , it is almost 100% defensive .

One more thing is , i personally prefer a Gastrodon set of :
    Gastrodon@Leftovers
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 Hp , 252 Sp.Def , 6 Def
    Calm Nature (Atk- , Sp.Def+)
    - Stockpile
    - Toxic
    - Scald/Ice Beam
    - Recover

1 stockpile makes you bulky , 2 makes you next to immortal.
    You can choose between icebeam and scald then , ice beam isnt absorbed by anything yet , then again its no stab and wont hit too many pokes for alot.
    Scald is stab , but absorbed by a bit too many pokemons for my personal taste.

Hope this all helped a bit.
  14. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

Bump....... Edit and chosen my new team member.
    Anymore Rates
  15. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

Most Water Ground types hate Jirachi's Iron Head flinches, It always works because Jirachi is always faster than any Water Ground types. I love that set but it's more for Quagsire than Gastrodon but thanks for the rate.
  16. RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

OK I removed Slowbro for Conkeldurr and I am peaking #102 right now!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)