1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

All Gens Implementing all old gens in PS - Testers required!

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Joim, May 7, 2013.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo

thanks.

Is there any chance that the bug with critical hits not ignoring light screen and reflect be fixed? E.G:

tauros body slam on chansey = 40% (aprox)
    tauros body slam on reflect chansey = 20%
    tauros body slam (crit) on chansey = 80%
    tauros body slam (crit) on reflect chansey = 40% - this should be 80% as it should ignore it.

This is the biggest issue on RBY that isn't fixed.
  2. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

both dpp

Mizuhime sent out Roserade!
    Pointed stones dug into the opposing Roserade!
    The poison spikes disappeared from around the opposing team's feet!
    The opposing Roserade fainted!

tspikes arent absorbed if the mon switching in dies to sr

Cresselia used Lunar Dance!
    Cresselia fainted!
    The opposing Blissey used Toxic!
    But there was no target...
    The sandstorm rages.
    The opposing Blissey is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    The opposing Blissey restored HP using its Leftovers!
    You have 300 seconds to make your decision.
    Go! Scizor!
    Scizor became cloaked in mystical moonlight!
    Scizor is hurt by the spikes!
    Pointed stones dug into Scizor!

this is a bw mechanic, in dpp hazards take effect before the mon is healed so if it doesnt die it will be at full
    Jaiho likes this.
  3. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Unlike in BW2, in DPP a faster Lunar Dance doesn't bring in the recipient after the opponent moved. So in the case above, Blissey moves AFTER Scizor comes in and restores health, not before as shown here.

I'm just going by PO mechanics, btw.
  4. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

yea that is also correct
    Jaiho likes this.
  5. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

I believe that's all of them, with the exception that Confusion and Disable are also illegal on Mewtwo in RBY (not that it matters, since it's banned in OU and the Gen 1 Custom Game format has much bigger problems like not actually banning gen 2+ Pokemon and moves). This is because Mewtwo is obtained at level 70 in Cerulean Cave, and has already forgotten these moves (there are no move relearners in RBY).

EDIT: There is one more. Kakuna and Beedrill cannot have Poison Sting + Harden or String Shot + Harden, as Harden requires that the Pokemon be caught as Kakuna, while Poison Sting and String Shot require that it be caught as Weedle.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  6. Ernesto

Ernesto is a motionless pedophile
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hmm so NixHex just posted some of his GSC games, and apparently Sleep Talked Roar doesn't fail (turn 82). That isn't listed on the to-do stuff (although someone might have mentioned it before, I apologize if that's the case) so I thought I should bring it up since I think it's a pretty important difference from later gens. There might be some other stuff but that's the only one that hit me.

Edit: Really? I was pretty sure it didn't work. Well, don't mind this then.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. Bedschibaer

Bedschibaer does it for free
    is a Forum Moderator

sleep talk roar is supposed to work in gsc
  8. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Not if you are faster. If you are faster it fails.
    Jorgen and Ernesto like this.
  9. BKC

BKC

Gengar used Explosion!
    It's not very effective... The opposing Jirachi lost 33% of its health!

Gengar fainted!

The opposing Jirachi used Wish!

this is wrong in adv, the pkmn exploded on doesnt move
    Jaiho and Pocket like this.
  10. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yep, in old Explosion mechanics the turn ends when a Pokemon explodes (so slower Pokemon taking the Explosion/Self Destruct/Memento(?) effectively loses a turn)

This mechanic apply to RBY and GSC, as well, not just ADV.
  11. Jirachee

Jirachee Congratulations Canada for finishing the tunnel to China!
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Starmie used Hydro Pump!
    The opposing Rotom-Heat lost 93% of its health!
    Starmie lost some of its HP!

(gen is DPP and Starmie is holding a Life Orb)

The Starmie lost some of its HP! part isn't supposed to show in DPP. The Pokemon simply loses HP without the game showing any message. This is quite minor but it can make a difference against players who don't pay much attention or might have missed it.
    SAGA, BKC and Pocket like this.
  12. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

(everything I'm saying also applies to Whirlwind)

To clarify the actual mechanic in play here, Roar will fail if it is used before the opponent acts. The usual cases where this happens are a) when Roar is selected by Sleep Talk, and the Sleep Talker is faster, b) when both Pokemon use Roar. a) is mostly crucial to teambuilding, as it's the main reason Roar is not used on RestTalk sets of Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos; b), however, affects play as well. There is a c) which can crop up rarely that Curse Machamp may use Vital Throw to prevent phazing.

Currently, b) is implemented somewhat badly; see here. Currently, it's hacked to make the slower move go first between Roars - this is incorrect in PP-usage and also fails when there's a last-Poke in play - if last-Poke Skarm uses Whirlwind vs. Rhydon's Roar, then both should fail. a) and c) are not implemented at all, as seen here.

To fix this properly, the hackjob with slower Roars/Whirlwinds going first should be removed, and a check should be added that IF Roar/Whirlwind is used AND opposing side has not acted yet (move, switch, etc) AND tier = GSC OU THEN Roar/Whirlwind fails.

EDIT: Something I forgot to test; the "fix" currently in place creates a serious error in addition to the minor ones. Vital Throw Machamp should be able to hit a Roaring Rhydon before being phazed, but as seen here it fails to on Showdown (turn 2). This is specifically an error caused by the "slower Roars go first" hackjob, and not by the failure to put in the proper fix (Roar should indeed work here... but after Vital Throw hits).
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Ernesto and Kel9901 like this.
  13. Bedschibaer

is a Forum Moderator

14. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

Has anyone brought up the updated base stats for XY? They're the ones that display in the PS! teambuilder, regardless of generation.
  15. TalkTakesTime

TalkTakesTime mirror mirror on the wall, how can dicky learn to ball
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Currently our client is not multi-gen, so everything that shows up will be based on the current gen, frustrating though it might be. A multi-gen client might be a while, since (I think) it would require an almost complete redo of a number of components, and other things are higher on the to-do list
  16. MoxieInfinite

MoxieInfinite

on the somewhat same note, the teambuilder does not recognize the type based physical/special split when building for pre-dpp tiers

[​IMG]

nothing big but worth a mention i guess
  17. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

What does the screenshot have to do with what you said? Shouldn't you be screenshotting the "moves" window and not the "EVs" one?
  18. Swamp Link

Swamp Link Yum
    is a Contributor to Smogon

The teambuilder gave him a Relaxed nature instead of a Bold one because it thought that Fire Punch was physical.
  19. TalkTakesTime

TalkTakesTime mirror mirror on the wall, how can dicky learn to ball
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

I assume he's pointing out that it should be dropping attack rather than speed, since pre-gen 4 they were both special moves.

MoxieInfinite I'll have a look into that but I don't think that gen is ever considered in the suggested spreads generator, since as far as I know none of the teambuilder supports older gens
  20. The Immortal

The Immortal Administrator of Showdown!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

Fixed.
    Pocket likes this.
  21. V4Victini

V4Victini [22:01] <&Stellar> I'm gonna edit ALL the YAML files
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Code:
    { 14:33 }    <Zarel> TheImmortal, yes, we don't care about biasing against players "who don't pay much attention"
    { 14:34 }    <V4> for that reason i dunno if it needs to be done
    { 14:34 }    <Zarel> PS intentionally gives information to help players who don't pay much attention
    { 14:34 }    <Zarel> such as having a battle log at all
    { 14:34 }    <Zarel> and having the opponent's boosts directly on-screen
    { 14:34 }    <Zarel> and having basically any other information you need directly on-screen
    { 14:35 }    <TheImmortal> feel free to reply to https://smogon.com/forums/threads/implementing-all-old-gens-in-ps-testers-required.3483261/page-6#post-5439167
    { 14:35 }    <Zarel> Which is why I said, if we made any change, it'd be to add parens
    { 14:35 }    <V4> oh
    { 14:35 }    <V4> thats what you meant
    { 14:35 }    <Zarel> "(The opposing ___ lost some health.)"
    { 14:35 }    <V4> yea I was going to say that too
    { 14:35 }    <Zarel> Which is what we do for things that don't generate an in-game message but that we want players to know about.
    Pocket likes this.
  22. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

This is an intentional design choice.

PS shows a lot of things that can make a difference against players who don't pay attention, for instance, we keep track of the battle log, we keep track of stat stages on all active pokemon, we keep track of what your opponent has switched in and how much HP they have left. Basically, we track everything that's possible to know at all, and make it as convenient as possible to know about.

The other reason we have to do this is because not doing it would be DRM.

The thing is, Starmie loses HP. We have to tell the user's computer that Starmie loses HP, because the user's computer has to know that to update Starmie's HP bar. So someone could easily just write another client (or just a tiny browser extension) to show a message whenever Starmie loses HP. And then suddenly people who use the extension have an advantage over people who don't. It's better just to show the message to everyone, so it's fair for everyone.
  23. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

But this is a recommendation. It's not nearly as bad as something saying "Fire Punch: Physical" or anything of that ilk.
  24. Bedschibaer

is a Forum Moderator

[​IMG]
    this is what i started out with, 2 illegal sets, right? according to http://www.smogon.com/tournaments/spl/rules a sleep inducing move + perish song + a trapping move is illegal on the same mon
    [​IMG]
    when trying to use it, it gave me only a rejection message for missy, jynx is appareantly fine to use this combination
    [​IMG]
    I am aware the ban only applies to tournament play, but banning the combination on misdreavus only looks like it's misprogrammed or overlooked.
    Pocket likes this.
  25. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

That's probably because Jynx uses Lovely Kiss instead of Hypnosis. [​IMG]
    Xeze likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)