Impossible Damage?

I'm a little confused about the last battle I just had.

My team just got nearly one-shotted by a Thunderus.
It was a dramatic loss, but I'm certain something is fishy here.
It wasn't until it knocked my Cresselia down from 211 HP to 25 with one unboosted, non-critical hit Thunderbolt.
The Thunderus wasn't scarfed and didn't have Life Orb and their max SpA at level 50 is 194.
My Cresselia has 179 SpD.
I ran it through the Marriland Damage Calculator and the calculated damage came out to between 60 and 71 damage.

What could have possibly caused this?

In hind sight, I really should have saved the battle and uploaded it.

Idt Specs boosts damage from 71 to 186. It's probably just a hacker, live with it and move on. It happens, #don't feel blue, don't feel blue!#

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Are you sure it wasn't a critical hit? A hacker would have had 1-shot kill on and that looks like a specs thundurus crit(although, if he wasn't choiced, keep in mind the marriland damage calc is for 4th gen!).
Otherwise, he's a weird hacker who doesn't fully power up his mons.

Always possible. That said, I've seen plenty of hacks featuring pokes with high stats, but not too high (lv. 100 magikarp with 500 everything for example). I think it's best to just drop this now.

The Thundurus also used Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Water since it was Super Effective vs. my Marowak.

So, Choice Specs is ruled out.

It's alright, losses happen. I'm fine with it.

Thanks for all the insight so far.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just so you know, the damage calculators around the net aren't correct. They use an approximate formula, which can lead to discrepancies of predicted v. actual damage. We've recently debugged the entire formula and articlized it, however there isn't a single calculator out there (yet) which calculates damage properly.

From what you've said the damage discrepancy can't be ~100, so you obviously missed something! (my bet is that it was electric gem crit tbolt)

If you saved the video I could have checked the IV/EV/Stat -> RNG rolls contained in the video file, but alas you did not save it :P. The game does a sanity check on each pkm before you battle so it couldn't have had improper stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)