1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Improper Forum Updating

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Gengan, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gengan

Gengan

A while back, I used the "Mark all Forums as Read" link to clean up the main forum area (I hate seeing these orange boards everywhere confusing me), but ever since I've done that, the forums don't update properly. Just a few minutes ago, posts that were made hours ago showed up as new.

Is this a coding error or something wrong on my end? If it's not my fault, I'd love to have this fixed.

Oh also, it shows the board as "New Content has been added" after I post something, which I didn't think actually happened.
  2. kokoloko

kokoloko genius cannot be contained
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

^happens to me too and it is kind of annoying
  3. jumpluff

jumpluff you stare right through me
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This may not be the issue (I am not a vBulletin expert), but this can be caused by problems with your cookies. Without knowing what browser you use I can't give you instructions on this, so you'll have to look them up if you don't know how, but I suggest clearing your cookies (or at least the cookies stored by Smogon). Please note that this will, among other things, expand any sections you may have collapsed and log you out (not to mention mark everything as unread again, but it's worth a try since it's not working for you anyway currently).
  4. ShortsTheory

ShortsTheory

I can't pass any comment about how vBulletin works, but to me it makes a lot more sense to store "Read Forums" data within the user settings, essentially located on the smogon servers rather than in browser cookies.

That way, you won't screw yourself with orange folder icons everytime you use a new browser or a different PC. (maybe this can be committed to another project :) )
  5. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Just a note that if you have teams on Pokemon Showdown! do not clear your cookies. You will lose your teams if you do.
  6. Gengan

Gengan

I use Chrome, and clearing my cookies doesn't really do anything to solve it. Like you said, it leaves everything as unread and that doesn't really fix much :/
  7. shnen

shnen שוני
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I also get this occasionally on ios safari, even though I do not have mark all forums as read enabled.
  8. jumpluff

jumpluff you stare right through me
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This would require an admin or further vBulletin modifications, but I think there is actually a setting for database-based thread updating. I can't pass judgment though on whether it would significantly increase server load or is a viable switch.

The point of clearing the cookies is to mark them all as read again and see if it fixes it, as the cookie may have been corrupted.
  9. Great Sage

Great Sage

This is almost certainly just vBulletin being obnoxious, and while it might be annoying, it's not big enough of a deal or common enough to justify much more looking in to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)