(In-game question) Do Baby Pokemon always have 3 perfect IVs?

Hi all, can anyone who has cleared the game and reached the IV identifying NPC in Kiloude City Pokemon Center help me to confirm this theory? So far every single baby Pokemon that I have caught or hatched from an Egg in-game has had at least 3 perfect IVs - so far I have Budew, Riolu, Mantyke, Chingling, Pichu and Igglybuff, all with at least 3 perfect IVs and all caught in the wild or bred from parents with no perfect IVs. I can't believe that this many could be a coincidence; at the moment I am breeding a Mantine to rapidly get as many Mantykes as possible to see if my theory is correct, but I would appreciate some help if anyone is interested. Can you post what you find out in this thread please?
Thanks

EDIT: 5 Mantykes later, I can debunk my theory that breeding baby Pokemon always creates a baby with 3 perfect IVs. However, I decided to test with some wild Pokemon (Azurill and Riolu on Route 22) and I have managed to catch 11 Azurills and 4 Riolus, and every single one of them has at least 3 perfect IVs. Once at least one other person can confirm this, I would like to add this somewhere permanently if possible as this can be very useful for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
Are you breeding Pokemon caught from the Friend Safari? I believe they have at least or two perfect IVs. The Pokemon you caught on that route aren't anything special, I believe. I can't corroborate your story because I don't have access to the IV rater yet.

Safari pokemon always have at least one or two stats maxed as said above. As for the other part, you seem to just be REALLY lucky.

EDIT: 5 Mantykes later, I can debunk my theory that breeding baby Pokemon always creates a baby with 3 perfect IVs. However, I decided to test with some wild Pokemon (Azurill and Riolu on Route 22) and I have managed to catch 11 Azurills and 4 Riolus, and every single one of them has at least 3 perfect IVs. Once at least one other person can confirm this, I would like to add this somewhere permanently if possible as this can be very useful for breeding purposes.
I must say, I checked the Azumarill I caught in that area (as an Azurill), and it had 3 perfect IVs. None of my other team Pokemon did. I thought I must be ridiculously lucky to catch a wild pokemon outside of the Safari with those kind of stats, but perhaps there is something more to this???

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
...now that you guys mention it, on my third attempt resetting Mewtwo in my Y I got a timid one with perfect HP, speed, and SpA IVs....
It's already been confirmed that every legendary in the game has at least three perfect IVs, afaik.

Adding to this, just caught two Azurill on Route 22 and both had 3 perfect IVs. Sure it could be chance (minuscule sample size on my end), but there does seem to be a pattern developing with multiple people seeing the same result.

I too can confirm this. I caught a bunch of Riolu on route 22, all of them had 3-4 perfect IVs. If now I can only find a female one now...

So I tried this in Route 22, caught 4 random Bunnelbys, and only one of them had one 31 IV. So I guess you are all really lucky?
Or perhaps there's something that triggers high IVs? I have beaten the game, so it's not like it's unlocked after defeating the Champion/AZ. Did someone in the game talk about something like "stronger" pokemon or did you tip someone? Maybe there is an O-Power for higher IVs?

It seems to be the "Baby" Pokemon that have them.

Also new info! Just caught two Mime Jr. in Reflection Cave (Horde Battles, inducing them with a Sweet Scent Combee) and both also had 3 perfect IVs! So it's looking like the "Baby" Pokemon have this? Going to try some others, Mantyke and Smoochum are the main two I'm thinking of.

Also yes it's a tiny sample and I could have gotten REALLY lucky to get both Mime Jr. with three perfects, but it's too big a coincidence to not at least mention to see if others get the same results.

I'm watching this thread intently. I'm breeding two Safari pokes, who have two perfect IVs each, and only occasionally getting a baby with two perfect IVs (technically one as I'm using a power item). Maybe it has something to do with tipping?

Seems everyone's been doing this with Azurills and Riolus

Just caught a Mantyke and it also had 3 perfect IVs. Still attempting to catch another but proving difficult to run in to.

In regards to tipping: I've been tipping 1k all the time, but there have been a few times where I mis-pressed and didn't tip at all. It's a possible theory, but the question then becomes... why baby pokemon only? and how does tipping affect it?

Caught a Smoochum (Rare Horde Battle in Frost Cavern, induced via Honey picked up by a Combee if that's relevant) and it ALSO had 3 Perfect IVs. Will try and catch a few more Mantyke and Smoochum but they're harder to find so might take a bit longer. So far we've found the following to have 3 perfect IVs when caught in the wild:

Azurill (Route 22)
Riolu (Route 22, as per OP, I haven't caught this one myself yet)
Mime Jr. (Horde Battle, Reflection Cave)
Mantyke (Route 12. And possibly Azure Bay, haven't found one there yet though)
Smoochum (Rare Horde Battle, Frost Cavern)

If other people can catch theses Pokemon and confirm that they also get them as three perfect IVs, to increase sample size and to eliminate the possibility of a glitch in a small number of games or something weird like that.

Also it's worth mentioning the Vanillite and the Cubchoo I caught at the same location as the Smoochum did not have 3 perfect IVs. (ie it's not the location, or horde battles)

Last edited:
So babies and legendaries both have at least 3 perfect IVs. And Friend Safari pokes have at least 2 perfect IVs.
I think they should have done it for every wild Pokémon, it would have been easier and would have make team builiding less frustrating.

Does anyone have a list of all the "baby" pokemon that we can catch in X/Y?

edit:

Azurill
Riolu

whatelse?
woops didn't see Ozball message.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a list of all the "baby" pokemon that we can catch in X/Y?

edit:

Azurill
Riolu

whatelse?
Read up a few posts I listed the ones I caught so far: Azurill, Riolu, Smoochum, Mantyke, and Mime Jr. I'm not sure what else falls under the Baby group though. Elekid, and Magby but I don't think they're catchable, not sure what else there is in the dex, I didn't play much last gen so my knowledge is rusty.

I just bred a Lucario with a Ditto, and I did not get any perfect IV's. I also caught Azuril and Riolu, and they had 3 perfect IV's.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Baby_Pokémon

Could anyone try breeding a Lucario to see if that 3 IVs thing just happen with all babies or just ones found in the wild? (still at work for a few hours)
Sweet thanks for the list. Also the OP mentioned that breeding for the babies doesn't seem to give the perfect IVs (at least didn't for the Mantykes he tried, not sure why it would be different for the others)

EDIT: Hmm I already had a Chingling, didn't know that was in the group, however it also has 3 perfect IVs. Bedew is also capturable so I'll try that next.

Further Edit: Apparently Togepi is available through the Friend Safari, however none of my friends currently give it so someone else will have to test that one.

haunter

Banned deucer.
How do you guys check your Pokemon's IVs? Also, this thread is going to be moved to Orange Islands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)