ORAS NU In the Future

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In The Future

Background and Info:

Hey guys, this is my first NU RMT I think, in ORAS anyway. Doing this to celebrate hitting 500 posts, majority being in the NU subforum and I've met a lot of great users there and you guys have really inspired me to improve my NU abilities beyond anything I could have thought a year ago, so thank you!

I was inspired to make this team by someone on the ladder a while ago who used a Future Sight Xatu against me, it wasn't that effective, but I wanted to see if i could make it effective, albeit starting as a joke, I'm unbeaten with the finished product, and so is allstar124! The team name is obviously based on the Future Sight element and the song "in the future" is by two great producers Camo and Krooked. Hope you guys enjoy this team :)

Teambuilding Process:

This was my chosen core. Mesprit was the dedicated Future Sight user, I decided it was bulkier and stronger than the original Xatu that provided my inspiration, and so it would be more reliable. I considered what would pair well with a Future Sight wallbreaker, and decided that Swellow was a perfect lure for physical walls like Regirock, Quagsire, Mawile, Weezing, all which take a huge chunk from Future sight, and also Swellow carries u-turn for dark types that try to block FS, say, Malamar, Sneasel.

Next I added Regirock, Regirock is a very good and reliable Stealth Rock setter in NU right now, and i figured i could use his general bulk to support my relatively frail core. Regirock takes on fire types and Sneasel mostly which threaten the core of this team a lot.

I added Archeops next, I decided I needed another strong and fast physical lure for those mons like Weezing that Future sight will destroy, and Archeops seemed the perfect choice to do so.

Since the team was a bit of a joke to begin with, I added a wish protect bulky Gallade. Something I've heard a lot about and building a team like this, felt like a perfect opportunity to try it out. Alongside this, the glue was Choice Scarf Lilligant, hidden power fire to mop up my inability to beat Ferroseed and healing wish support sounded perfect for the core of Swellow and Mesprit, as well as Archeops.

After a few ladder games, I was having fun, grabbing kills with Future sight seemed too easy, and Swellow, Regirock and Lilligant all did their jobs. Archeops turned out to be wrong for the team, it did the same job as swellow, and to an extent, worse, it gave me a bigger Sneasel weakness than I'd planned, so Quagsire went in instead, and it helped to block the weakness I had to set up sweepers. Gallade just was awful, no more words needed. Instead, after being swept once by a Lilligant, once by a Vivillon, and once by a scarf Haunter, Bouffalant was the perfect choice, it's bulky, strong, and lures in Regirock and Weezing for Future Sight, squad complete, and unbeaten at the time of this thread.​

The Team:

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature

- Psychic
- Future Sight

- Energy Ball
- Signal Beam

The team captain, the guy I built around, the wallbreaker, the destroyer. The EVs have been questioned, but I felt like for it's job, speed is the least important thing for FS Mesprit, it's designed to take hits and get off attacks, not set up one and die. A higher longevity allows 2-4 FS's a game and a lot of punching holes in teams, the HP allows it to do this. Signal Beam grabs a kill against Malamar, it's even more fun when Malamar is their lead. Psychic is so you have the choice of a strong STAB if Future Sight is not preferred in the situation, and Energy Ball nails unsuspecting Quagsire's, pretty standard set.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Protect

The second half of the core. A pretty normal physically offensive Swellow, I've been told Protect is bad, I kinda know i should have Quick Attack, but Protect has been working wonders for me. Especially to stall out that one turn while Swellow can't hit so hard and while you're waiting for Future Sight. Click Protect, then they're weakened from FS, and Swellow is ready to finish them. This guy lures Weezing, Regirock, Mawile, and other physical walls which don't enjoy taking a 120 base power Future Sight, but have to in order to stop Swellow killing their Lilligant/Mantine/other frail mon.

Regirock @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Atk / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Ah, the lord set. Custap Regirock is an absolute beast. A reliable rock setter, utility in Thunder Wave, rock STAB for Scyther and hitting other things, and Explosion! Explosion with Custap Berry speaks for itself, you can catch things off guard, you can get two kills against whatever Stone Edge hits AND whatever they send in to revenge kill, it works fantastic in practice, and isn't all talk. The EVs allow for 300 Atk to hit over 50% on Sandslash with Explosion and put the rest in special defense as Regi doesn't need physical investment. Acts as my Sneasel check, can break it with Explosion, Stone Edge, or cripple it with Twave, or otherwise just scare it out and wear it down with rocks.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Not too much to say about this one, we all know what it does. Unaware helps to stop set up sweepers like Gurdurr, and Quagsire also acts as much Klinklang check, since that's becoming more popular now.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Megahorn

Bouffalant is my answer to Vivillon and Lilligant with Sap Sipper. The EV's speed creep uninvested Malamar, and Megahorn > Earthquake for that exact reason, since Malamar can block Future Sight. Then I've just given it max HP and as much SpD as possible, since I carry sub/SD to set up on Weezing.

Lilligant (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Petal Dance

- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

A fantastic late game sweeper, and my answer to Ferroseed. Giga Drain provides recovery, while Petal Dance hits fantastically hard for late game sweeps, OHKOing with neutral damage on mons like Tauros and Sawk with a bit of prior damage. Lilligant strikes fear into hearts when it comes in on a safe switch, and can definitely force the opponent to forget about an incoming Future Sight, and more about which poison type they're gonna use to check Lilligant, a great combo.​

Scarf Sawk especially is a threat, but even banded outspeeds Mesprit and can Knock Off from the lead spot, and destroy Quagsire. Scarf is a threat as it outspeeds Swellow, so one to watch out for, I usually attempt to lure it and land a Future Sight.

Weather is a particular threat, since Sun mons destroy Quagsire and Rain mons demolish my whole team. Best bet is to catch things on the switch with T-Wave from Regirock sweep with swellow when a chance appears.

Camo (Mesprit) @ Mind Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Future Sight
- Energy Ball
- Signal Beam

Krooked (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Grafix (Regirock) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Atk / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Fred V (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Jenna G (Lilligant) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Petal Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Metrik (Bouffalant) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Since this has been my most enjoyable year being part of the Smogon community not just PS, I have to dedicate a lot of that to the NU room people, not in order of favouritism:
Deej Dy Quite Quiet Raseri hollywood allstar124 NV Montsegur Realistic Waters Disjunction iplaytennislol Can-Eh-Dian tcw Sir Kay 9 Adaire HJAD Blapperl Shaneghoul scorpdestroyer SilverReaper21 marilli Teddeh Nozzle Punchshroom boltsandbombers Kiyo Winter's Howl Pokedots

Old skype/PS staff people since I have some good memories from there too ^_^:
Kushalos Bean barton The Leprechaun Nani Man Julian Alter jdarden

Sorry to anybody I missed off!
Okay so this was celebrating my 500th post, and many more to come, enjoy the team everyone ^_^

Last edited:
Hey Orphic

Nice team you have here. I have always been fascinated by future sight mes since xy, where I used a future sight mind plate set to basically claim free lives with my threats typhlosion and cacturne, who's counters were both weak to psychic, essentially forcing unnecessary sacks and breaking down walls. I also found it useful for breaking down physical walls with a huge health stat (kinda like regirock ) for cleaners like Sneasel to just rampage its way through its main checks (regi, carracosta, granbull, etc).

Immediately though, despite the ridiculous power of specs, I don't think it's the most efficient way to abuse future sight. Often, I find a specs future sight to be a huge momentum drain, and in a meta heavy with banded Sneasel with pursuit, it would be wise to not lock yourself into a psychic type attack such as future sight, since you basically relieve all momentum you got, rather than popping in a quick future sight when you have an offensive presence. For this reason, I suggest running Mind Plate > Choice Specs on Mesprit. By doing this, you give Mesprit the ability to swap its moves about whilst maintaining really powerful future sights as well. Although the power of specs is really nice, in reality its impractical with the meta we have at the minute. You are also slightly weak to banded sawk, since your main switch (mes) gets bopt simply by a knock off. As a result, I will suggest running 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe Timid Nature Mesprit > Current Spread. This spread allows you to outspeed banded adamant sawk by 1 speed point, which is crucial and forces you into less 50/50s since your main check to it is swellow. The rest of the investment goes into powering up Mesprits special attacks and into bulk as to be as efficient as possible. Also, since your team lacks priority, I believe that Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow would come crucial. This is so that you have a reliable way of revenge killing 1 HP mons rather than Scarf Lilligant, since if the settup Mon outspeed that and has coverage to hit Quagsire, it puts you in a really difficult spot. Besides, getting a free Toxic Orb on a forced switch should be too difficult ;].

In addition, I would suggest running Curse > Toxic on Quagsire. This set allows you to beat Malamar 100% of the time, and it allows you to have another win-condition. Scald is still preferred over waterfall / Toxic since the burn chance / pressure is much more nice to have than a secondary stab which really isn't necessary at times. Curse also means that you have a reliable check to calm mind psychics such as Musharna.

Curse on Quagsire and Signal Beam on Mesprit means that Malamar really has no room to function in your team. Therefore, we can run the superior coverage option on Bouffalant, Earthquake > Megahorn means that the likes of Mawile and Klinklang are no longer hard checks to bouff, and so can SD more freely on these threats.

No Mon changes since the core you have compiled is really strong, and taking one Mon away for another will disrupt the great balance your team has ^.^

Mind Plate > Choice Specs on Mesprit
EV Spread: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe Timid Nature

Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow

Curse > Toxic on Quagsire

Earthquake > Megahorn on Bouffalant

your a great user, and I hope this rate helps you and this team in the future.
yours in mons,
~HJAD

Orphic

perhaps
Hey Orphic

Nice team you have here. I have always been fascinated by future sight mes since xy, where I used a future sight mind plate set to basically claim free lives with my threats typhlosion and cacturne, who's counters were both weak to psychic, essentially forcing unnecessary sacks and breaking down walls. I also found it useful for breaking down physical walls with a huge health stat (kinda like regirock ) for cleaners like Sneasel to just rampage its way through its main checks (regi, carracosta, granbull, etc).

Immediately though, despite the ridiculous power of specs, I don't think it's the most efficient way to abuse future sight. Often, I find a specs future sight to be a huge momentum drain, and in a meta heavy with banded Sneasel with pursuit, it would be wise to not lock yourself into a psychic type attack such as future sight, since you basically relieve all momentum you got, rather than popping in a quick future sight when you have an offensive presence. For this reason, I suggest running Mind Plate > Choice Specs on Mesprit. By doing this, you give Mesprit the ability to swap its moves about whilst maintaining really powerful future sights as well. Although the power of specs is really nice, in reality its impractical with the meta we have at the minute. You are also slightly weak to banded sawk, since your main switch (mes) gets bopt simply by a knock off. As a result, I will suggest running 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe Timid Nature Mesprit > Current Spread. This spread allows you to outspeed banded adamant sawk by 1 speed point, which is crucial and forces you into less 50/50s since your main check to it is swellow. The rest of the investment goes into powering up Mesprits special attacks and into bulk as to be as efficient as possible. Also, since your team lacks priority, I believe that Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow would come crucial. This is so that you have a reliable way of revenge killing 1 HP mons rather than Scarf Lilligant, since if the settup Mon outspeed that and has coverage to hit Quagsire, it puts you in a really difficult spot. Besides, getting a free Toxic Orb on a forced switch should be too difficult ;].

In addition, I would suggest running Curse > Toxic on Quagsire. This set allows you to beat Malamar 100% of the time, and it allows you to have another win-condition. Scald is still preferred over waterfall / Toxic since the burn chance / pressure is much more nice to have than a secondary stab which really isn't necessary at times. Curse also means that you have a reliable check to calm mind psychics such as Musharna.

Curse on Quagsire and Signal Beam on Mesprit means that Malamar really has no room to function in your team. Therefore, we can run the superior coverage option on Bouffalant, Earthquake > Megahorn means that the likes of Mawile and Klinklang are no longer hard checks to bouff, and so can SD more freely on these threats.

No Mon changes since the core you have compiled is really strong, and taking one Mon away for another will disrupt the great balance your team has ^.^

Mind Plate > Choice Specs on Mesprit
EV Spread: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe Timid Nature

Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow

Curse > Toxic on Quagsire

Earthquake > Megahorn on Bouffalant

your a great user, and I hope this rate helps you and this team in the future.
yours in mons,
~HJAD
Thanks I think I'll implement all of these changes! Looks good fren

Cool team you have!

Since your lilligant is choice scarf it's easy for ferroseeds to simply switch-out to a check when they know you're choice locked in hp fire, then I think ferroseed is a little bit annoying to your team. I'll suggest superpower instead of earthquake on bouff. It does the same thing earthquake does (aside from hitting mawile, but mawile isn't a threat to your team because you have quagsire anyways), it hits carracosta, regirock, rhydon AND ferroseed. The drops in attack and defense shouldn't really matter because your opponent will always switch-in their bouff check in the first opportunity they have, and then BOOM, superpower.

Good luck with your team!

cool team! :3
my only suggestion would be to Leaf storm > Petal dance on Choice Scarf Lilligant.
Lilligant appreciates the extra the extra power enabling it to OHKO's against offensive threats (for example tauros) while it does not lock you in to the point where your opponent can take advantage and revenge kill you/set up

Orphic

perhaps
cool team! :3
my only suggestion would be to Leaf storm > Petal dance on Choice Scarf Lilligant.
Lilligant appreciates the extra the extra power enabling it to OHKO's against offensive threats (for example tauros) while it does not lock you in to the point where your opponent can take advantage and revenge kill you/set up
Petal Dance is typically for late game sweeps, where the power is key and being locked in is not important. In positions like this, Leaf Storm would only hinder me, not help, and it affects Lilligants primary role on the team.

Great team, great friend, great time all around. One change on the RMT itself though. It will seem nitpicky, but it could prove beneficial to newer players using the team. Under Lilligant's description, on the first line, you put that Lilligant was your answer to Ferrothorn. I know this was just a typo of course, but I couldn't help myself. Much love. Signed Howl. Not dated.

PS: Emolga Pass doe ;[

Orphic

perhaps
Great team, great friend, great time all around. One change on the RMT itself though. It will seem nitpicky, but it could prove beneficial to newer players using the team. Under Lilligant's description, on the first line, you put that Lilligant was your answer to Ferrothorn. I know this was just a typo of course, but I couldn't help myself. Much love. Signed Howl. Not dated.

PS: Emolga Pass doe ;[
LOL fixed, thanks!

I'd keep Earthquake on Bouffalant. Superpower hitting Ferroseed is fairly irrelevant because it is pure setup fodder.

Also for what it's worth, Future Sight actually isn't boosted by Choice Specs. It's still a super cool move, but I'd recommend switching Specs out for Mind Plate or Life Orb instead because that extra Specs boost ends up being irrelevant most of the time. I'd also run Psyshock>Psychic on Mesprit. I usually prefer Psychic on non-CM Psychic-types, but the stronger hit on Gallade is important when Mesprit is your primary switch-in.

Try out HP Rock > HP Fire on Lilligant. Might be able to catch a Fletchinder on the switch, which is cool because you're pretty weak to it (your checks get burned and then they're fairly useless). You can also revenge Pyroar without forcing Swellow to take Stealth Rock and toxic damage.

I gotta say I don't really understand Quagsire's spot on the team. It's a really offensive team with a random Quagsire that doesn't really offer any team support. It's just kind of an "ok woops, I fucked up" last resort thing which isn't really necessary on offense because you have ways of brute forcing things to prevent them from setting up to begin with. It also doesn't help with what appears to be the biggest setup threat to your team, Barrier Calm Mind Musharna, which can set up on the majority of your team and just sort of clean. I'd recommend running mixed Cacturne in its place, which gives your team a bunch of important stuff that Quagsire just fails to offer. With Cacturne, you get all of a Musharna check, a Spikes setter, a Water immunity, and a priority user to help out a lot against opposing offense, which is important because right now you rely a lot on outspeeding and hoping they don't have their own priority.

Good luck with the team. Offense is super fun and underrated in this meta, so I hope it works out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)