Independent UK Tournaments - Back Door into Worlds LCQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

1-Up Events is holding eight (8) Pokémon Championship qualifying events across the UK throughout May, June, and July on an adventure to crown the first Independent UK Pokémon Champion. Each Qualifier is open to 128 registered competitors and the top 8 players from each qualifier will be invited to the UK National Pokémon Championship Finals on July 23rd to compete for the title of Independent UK Champion. To enter one of the qualifying events, click on your chosen location, follow the guidance steps and register for a place to compete in the 2011 UK Independent Pokemon Video Game Championships.

The tournaments will require you to bring a European copy of Pokémon Black or White as well as your own Nintendo DS console. The rules can be read on the links below - but the main aim is to try and emulate the same rulings as the Official Video Game Championships for 2011. This will be great practice for anyone wishing to compete in the Official TPCi events. You must register online to compete, paying the entrance fee of £12.50. You'll receive a trainer kit as well as the chance to win some great prizes.

Win a fully paid flight, plus 5 days, 4 nights accommodation in San Diego, close by to the Worlds venue, in order to enter the Last Chance Qualifier and potentially make it into Worlds.

These events are not affiliated with Nintendo or TPCi.

Regional Tournaments

1st Place
  • Regional Qualifer 1st Place Trophy
  • An Invitation to compete in the 2011 UK Pokémon National Video Game Championship Finals on the 23rd July 2011
  • A £30 Game Voucher
  • A 1-Up Events Pokémon Championships Goodie Bag

2nd Place
  • Regional Qualifer 2nd Place Trophy
  • An Invitation to compete in the 2011 UK Pokémon National Video Game Championship Finals on the 23rd July 2011
  • A £20 Game Voucher

3rd & 4th Place
  • A £10 Game Voucher

5th - 8th Place

National Championships

1st Place
  • UK Championship 1st Place Trophy
  • A Nintendo 3DS console
  • A flight to San Diego, California and accomodation for 4 nights / 5 days to compete at the offical Pokémon VGC last chance qualifier from August 12th - 14th 2011
  • An Invitation to compete at 1-Up Events 2012 Pokémon National Championships Finals
  • A premium 1-Up Events Pokémon Championship Winner's Goodie bag

2nd Place
  • UK Championship 2nd Place Trophy
  • A Nintendo 3DS console
  • An Invitation to compete at 1-Up Events 2012 Pokémon National Championships Finals

3rd Place
  • UK Championship 3rd Place Trophy
  • A Limited Edition Pokémon Black and White DSi Console Bundle

4th - 8th Place
  • An Invitation to compete at any one qualifying event at the 1-Up Events 2012 Pokémon National Championships.
  • A premium 1-Up Events Pokémon Championship Winner's Goodie bag.

Rules

Event Locations

Bristol
Saturday, 21st May 2011

University of Bristol Students' Union
Queens Road,
Clifton,
Bristol
BS8 1LN

Birmingham
Saturday, 11th June 2011

University of Birmingham Guild of Students
Edgbaston Park Road
Birmingham
B15 2TU

Edinburgh
Sunday, 5th June 2011

EUSA
Teviot Row House
13 Bristo Square
Edinnburgh
EH8 9AJ

Manchester
Saturday, 18th June 2011

MMUnion
99 Oxford Road
Manchester
M1 7EL

Attending: Havak

Sheffield
Saturday, 2nd July 2011

Sheffield University Students' Union
Western Bank
Sheffield
S10 2TG

London
Saturday, 9th July 2011

West London Student Union
St Mary's Rd,
Ealing,
Greater London,
W5 5RF

Southampton
Saturday, 16th July 2011

Solent Students' Union,
East Park Terrace,
Southampton
SO14 0YN

Newcastle
Saturday, 23rd July 2011

Northumbria University, S.U. Newcastle City Campus
Ellison Place
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8ST
UK

National Finals

High Wycombe
Saturday, 30th July

Bucks New Uni
High Wycombe Campus
Queen Alexandra Road
High Wycombe,
Buckinghamshire
HP11 2JZ

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a great chance for us lucky enough to be in the United Kingdom. For the many, many of us that do not make the cut at the UK National Event this year, we've got what is basically an unofficial set of Regionals and a National that can allow us to get to San Diego for free.

As well as that, it's just another chance to play more real-life VGC tournaments (even if they come at a cost). I'm sure it'll be pretty fun and a good chance to meet some fellow UK Smogon members.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Just curious. If it's not affiliated with TPCi, how are invites to Nats earned? Or wait, this National Championship mentioned here is different than the VGC Event?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Nationals here isn't affiliated with VGC. It's an independent event with the prize being a trip to San Diego for the duration of the Worlds Tournament and LCQ.

Interesting. A second bite at the apple as it were. I might roll up to the Birmingham one.

No Dream World could be a major difference compared to the official tournaments, but then so far there haven't been Unova Pokemon released in the Dream World in Japan, so it may be a moot point.

Pretty cool idea. Though, what do they do if you win this and also do well enough to get an invite at the UK VGC?

Pretty cool idea. Though, what do they do if you win this and also do well enough to get an invite at the UK VGC?
Well, if you got an invite with flight included and then won this, I'd assume be a good sport and give your flight from this to second place or take along a mate. If you get an invite with no flight included and win this. Score.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
When that happens I'll just give one of my prizes to GEC.
I can't even be bothered to argue with this, so thanks :D

Nonetheless, these events look pretty awesome, been waiting for locations and dates to be announced for months. Looks like it's mighty London for me only, I don't want to be spending too much money and get too distracted around exam season. I'll also show up to the finals in High Wycombe regardless of whether I qualify or not since it is pretty near to me too.

Props to Osirus who is running these tournaments. I'm going to enter one or two of the regionals then hopefully attend the independent nationals just for the heck of it, should be good fun.

It's nice to see these are going ahead, the more chances to get brits over to Worlds the better. With the nationals being swiss this will definately make sure we get a real contender for worlds attending the LCQ.

Can't say I'm good at this format yet but I'm looking forward to seeing you guys there at a few. :)

Hmm. I'll hopefully have a team ready in time for the Bristol tourn. Guess I'd best get to registering for that ASAP, though. >.>

Didn't expect anything on this scale to be done in the UK, pretty awesome IMO =D
I'll hopefully be going to the Newcastle event if I can sort out a team by then, only problem is that it's in the middle of my exams.

Not sure if ive missed this or something, but where exactly do you sign up for these? Like which website because i cant find anything?

Edit: Found it :) Anyone signed up for any of these yet?

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Will be at Birmingham and one other one probably depending on which people are going to the qualifiers, and at what event.

Birmingham event is after the UK Nats, that's not helpful for 1-Up events.
It is actually, with Juniors, Seniors and Masters wracking up 18 spots for worlds but they don't have flights paid for, 1up offers you the chance to go to worlds and enter with your ticket for free then.

If you do end up in top 8 and get haxed out before finals, just attend these tournaments. With the 1up finals being swiss with top 8 cut it will really allow the UK's best player to attend this year's world championships.

Havak this topic needs updating with who is attending what AND the updated locations and dates due to Newcastle being same date as the official.

I'm registered for the Bristol one. :D Might try and make it to a later one if I can gather the money together after three consecutive weekends of travelling around. ;o

Edit: Also, idly, you probably want to swap the Birmingham and Edinburgh events in the OP, as well as moving the Newcastle one up. At least put them in some kind of order. (Also, just noticed the date on the Newcastle one, haha. That's not gonna go well for them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)