move 2: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set does not possess the Choice Band set's immediate destructive power, the Nasty Plot and Swords Dance sets' sweeping potential, nor the mixed attacker's wallbreaking capabilities. It is, however, one of the most versatile revenge killers in the metagame, thanks to Infernape's unmatched coverage and its breakneck Speed. Furthermore, Choice Scarf Infernape can easily ravage opposing teams late game. If they have been sufficiently weakened beforehand, all those pesky walls will fall before Infernape's fire-breathing fists.</p>

<p>Close Combat pummels monsters such as Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Heatran, while Fire Blast scorches the likes of Jirachi, Scizor, and Celebi. If you'd like to go with a more physically oriented set or simply don't like Fire Blast's accuracy, feel free to bust the doors open with Flare Blitz. While the recoil damage is troublesome, the ability to OHKO threats such as Volcarona in the sun is certainly worth the tradeoff. Hidden Power Ice is often run alongside Flare Blitz, as it takes out those Dragons that resist Infernape's STAB combination. However, if you opt not to run Flare Blitz and have no other options against Volcarona, consider using Stone Edge instead. Rounding off the set is the trusty scouting move U-turn, which can bail Infernape out of unfavorable matchups.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In order to maximize Infernape's Speed but not hinder its damage output, use either a Naive or Hasty nature; it doesn't really matter because since Infernape won't be taking many hits anyway. The given EV spread guarantees an unconditional OHKO against Terrakion with Close Combat, as well as an OHKO against Dragonite, Salamence, and Landorus with Hidden Power Ice after Stealth Rock. If all attacks are physical, switch to 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe and a Jolly nature. You could drop the Speed EVs to 200 to outpace Choice Scarf Landorus, but not being able to Speed tie a Terrakion could leave you kicking yourself over and over again. ThunderPunch, Overheat, and Grass Knot are all other moves that could be considered, but Infernape is the poster boy of four moveslot syndrome and should only use these moves to fulfill specialized roles.</p>

<p>Ninetales is one of Infernape's most common teammates, and for good reason: it fuels Infernape's Fire STABs to devastatingly high levels. While Infernape mostly uses U-turn to avoid its checks and counters, it is still a good idea to carry a Pokemon such as Blissey, Chansey, or Ferrothorn to deal with Latias, Latios, Starmie, and other troublesome Pokemon. Scizor is an excellent partner to lure in Heatran and Magnezone, allowing Infernape to demolish them, and the metal bug returns the favor by disposing of the Lati twins. It is also beneficial to carry around a Rotom-W, as the washing machine takes out bulky Waters such as Tentacruel, while Son Goku ignites Ferrothorn, Breloom, and other Pokemon that trouble Rotom-W. Keep in mind that Infernape is incredibly frail, and even resisted priority moves such as Bullet Punch will deal decent damage. A sturdy wall such as Skarmory can usually take those hits for it.</p>

All the targets of Fire Blast you mentioned tend to run specially defensive sets/have higher special defense. With that in mind, why not just run Flare Blitz and make it physical?

That's not strictly true. Fire Blast isn't just a coverage move; it's Ape's Fire STAB. Going physical would leave you walled by shit like Gliscor.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know you only need 20 EVs in Sp. Atk to OHKO Gliscor with HP Ice unconditionally, but I can't remember if that was with or without a Life Orb.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's the spread I use for Scarf Infernape

108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

148 SpA:
- OHKOs neutral Dragonite after SR w/ HP Ice
- 10% chance to OHKO Gliscor w/ HP Ice
- 46% chance to OHKO w/ HP Ice
- 23% chance to OHKO neutral Salamence w/ HP Ice (OHKO w/ SR)
- Guaranteed 2HKO on SpD Jirachi w/ Fire Blast

108 Atk:
- 100% - 118% vs neutral Terrakion w/ CC
- 52% - 61% vs standard Rotom-W w/ CC
- 23% chance to OHKO Offensive Heatran w/ CC
- 2HKOs Gyarados after SR and Intimidate w/ Stone Edge
- 10% chance to OHKO Alakazam w/ U-Turn

Do you think it should be mentioned with HP Ice that it should be 30 HP / 30 Def in order to tie with Choice Scarf Terrakion?

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
All the targets of Fire Blast you mentioned tend to run specially defensive sets/have higher special defense. With that in mind, why not just run Flare Blitz and make it physical?
Untrue, Flare Blitz seems good on the surface, but it isn't as "spammable" so to speak as Fire Blast. Infernape isn't exactly Lugia, and the recoil from Flare Blitz isn't going to help one bit. Its probably worth an AC mention though.

Here's the spread I use for Scarf Infernape

108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

148 SpA:
- OHKOs neutral Dragonite after SR w/ HP Ice
- 10% chance to OHKO Gliscor w/ HP Ice
- 91% - 107% to neutral Landorus (46% chance to OHKO)
- 23% chance to OHKO neutral Salamence w/ HP Ice (OHKO w/ SR)
- Guaranteed 2HKO on SpD Jirachi w/ Fire Blast

108 Atk:
- 100% - 118% vs neutral Terrakion w/ CC
- 52% - 61% vs standard Rotom-W w/ CC
- 23% chance to OHKO Offensive Heatran w/ CC
- 2HKOs Gyarados after SR and Intimidate
- 10% chance to OHKO Alakazam w/ U-Turn
These look pretty nice, I'll play around with this and see how it goes. I'm not sure guaranteed OHKO against Terrakion is the best benchmark though.

Do you think it should be mentioned with HP Ice that it should be 30 HP / 30 Def in order to tie with Choice Scarf Terrakion?
No because anyone with half a brain would know not to run 30 Speed IVs...

Is max speed really needed? I think only 200 speed evs with a positive nature are enough, since it outspeeds choice scarf landorus, then you can dump the rest into the special attack or attack.

Seems a good set otherwise.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Is max speed really needed? I think only 200 speed evs with a positive nature are enough, since it outspeeds choice scarf landorus, then you can dump the rest into the special attack or attack.

Seems a good set otherwise.
That probably would've been a good benchmark if Terrakion wasn't used so much. Sadly, Terrakion is top 10, and losing a match because you couldn't speed tie Scarfterrak would really suck.

Ah, I've used this set a lot in Gen 4 (as seen in my RMT), and this is certainly a great set. However, I would deslash Overheat. Usually, you can sweep teams lategame with Blaze-boosted Fire Blast and that great Speed stat. Also, mention a specially based spread, as Stone Edge still does enough to Volcarona even so, and a boost in Fire Blast's power is great (though I would really only use this when you use HP Ice). Cool set. Oh, and maybe slash Grass Knot over Stone Edge or U-turn, being able to hit bulky waters is nice, especially with a specially based spread.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Ah, I've used this set a lot in Gen 4 (as seen in my RMT), and this is certainly a great set. However, I would deslash Overheat. Usually, you can sweep teams lategame with Blaze-boosted Fire Blast and that great Speed stat. Also, mention a specially based spread, as Stone Edge still does enough to Volcarona even so, and a boost in Fire Blast's power is great (though I would really only use this when you use HP Ice). Cool set. Oh, and maybe slash Grass Knot over Stone Edge or U-turn, being able to hit bulky waters is nice, especially with a specially based spread.
Yeah, one of the main issues with Infernape is that it can run numerous offensive moves, and has the stats to back it up. However, there will always remain the issue of "slash-itis" so I think it'll probably be wise to keep moves such as Grass Knot in AC.

I think you're underestimating Grass Knot. Being able to 2HKO Jellicent, Gyarados, Slowbro, etc. is extremely useful. Also, mention sun support.

grass knot is the only way to hit severely swampert, gastrodon and quagsire, because CC doesn't help so much. also sun support is extremely required like tomahawk says. I suggest a spread with more investment in Sp attack, just to hit harder with fire blast and hp ice. something like 252 spA 252 spe 4 atk or 200 spA 252 spe 56 atk. with 252 spA hp ice can OHKO gliscor, salamence, Dnite and landorus more easily. sure, you lose the chance to OHKO terrakion, but you get more pros than cons in my opinion.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tomahawk, those are good reasons, but Infernape's main job is revenge-killing, not wall-breaking.

Instead of Overheat, Flare Blitz is a better secondary slash imo. If Infernape goes with HP Ice, Flare Blitz would be useful to OHKO offensive Volcarona in Sun teams (101-119% with Brizznetz's spread, for reference). I second Brizznetz's spread, since not being able to take out Dragonite with HP Ice (after SR) is sad.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Grass Knot I have added as a slash over U-Turn, as Stone Edge is an incredibly useful move for taking out the likes of Volcarona and weakened Salamence. Pocket, that calc of Flare Blitz on Volcarona is amazing, that's reason enough to have Flare Blitz get itself a slash. I think I will go with a Brizznetz's spread as the main spread, and AC the others.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Imo HP Ice should be slashed before Stone Edge it hits a lot more things super effective is more accurate and Stone Edge is almost exclusively for volcarona.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
...they also might (just maybe) not know HP Ice is attainable with 30/30 (see two posts above, and maybe there are more people who read the site who don't know the nuances of Hidden Power). PO doesn't make it default, so mention the IVs somewhere.

New World Order

Licks Toads
...they also might (just maybe) not know HP Ice is attainable with 30/30 (see two posts above, and maybe there are more people who read the site who don't know the nuances of Hidden Power). PO doesn't make it default, so mention the IVs somewhere.
I suppose, where would you place the IVs for the SCMS? After the EVs like this?
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge
move 4: U-Turn / Grass Knot
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty
evs: 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 HP / 30 Def

Sayonara

don't forget
This mixed set is very interesting, and after testing it out on my own, I draw very positive aspects. The use of Hidden Power [Ice] is very clever, as it can cleanly OHKO Gliscor. Fire Blast is interesting, as it can OHKO Skarmory (after the Sturdy has been broken), whilst Flare Blitz would not. After that, the opponent might be thinking it is a Special Set, and send in one of the two pink blobs (Chansey or Blissey). Bad decision, as Close Combat nails one of them. U-Turn is a great scouting move, too.

Very nice set! Well done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)