move 2: Endeavor
move 3: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Overheat / Fire Blast
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Endeavor and Vacuum Wave, when paired together with Focus Sash, provide a new twist to Infernape's usual power up sets. This set is designed to be a lead. Infernape either sets up Stealth Rock or absorbs a hit with Focus Sash and retaliates with Endeavor, finishing the opponent off with a well placed Vacuum Wave.</p>

<p>While on paper Mach Punch may not seem like a bad idea, the split in EVs needed to boost the power of both Mach Punch and Overheat / Fire Blast will cause Infernape to lose critical OHKOs, most notably against opposing leads like Bronzong, which is why Vacuum Wave is recommended. It should be mentioned that Vacuum Wave lacks the power to 2HKO max HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar; not that Tyranitar will be switching in on Infernape anytime soon. Additionally, Overheat is recommended over Fire Blast, despite the power drop it causes, to OHKO most Bronzong silly enough to stay in.</p>

<p>With Focus Sash basically providing Infernape with a safety net against most attacks, the practical thing to do is maximize Speed and Special Attack in order to add as much oomph to Infernape's attacks as possible. Infernape's HP IV should be set to 0, allowing Infernape to deal more damage with Endeavor when not at 1 HP. You will notice that this particular set runs only 504 EVs the reason is there is really no point in dumping the extra EVs anywhere else.</p>

Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I have to say this set was suprisingly effective when used against me. The first few times it caught me off guard. But then after that I just realized that there was no way to counter it. If your lead is meant to set up SR, it will set up rocks and get a ko. If you go for the ko, it will still get up rocks and do some damage, maybe as much as bringing one of your pokemon down to 1 hp. Very impressive.

Very nice set in standard play as well as in PBR Stadium Mode which we Germans play lol.

I've got a minor issue on the EV spread, though. I'd suggest to spend the remaining 4 points in attack and drop HP DV to 0.
You probably think what's up with me but I just thought about using Endeavor right off the bat against slower Pokémon, which would deal an additional 32 points of damage and then follow up with a probably Blaze'd STAB Fire Blast / Overheat.
To be honest I don't have any examples where this could be game-decisive because I didn't do any calculations. It just came to my mind that you could deal these 32 additional points of damage. Furthermore, the loss of HP doesn't really hurt Infernape because it carries Focus Sash.

Think about it.

Glad you guys liked it I'll be taking your word drug duck and editing in the remaining 4 evs into Atk. Thanks a lot :D.

They way you have the end phrased is really odd. As it stands now, you imply that Endeavor is given an extra kick because there are EV's in Attack, while in actuality the extra kick comes from the fact that the EV's aren't in HP. There's no reason not to put them in Attack, given that putting them in Defense or Sp. Defense are counter productive. It just could use some rephrasing.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
<p>Endeavor and Vacuum Wave, when paired together with Focus Sash, provide a new twist to Infernape's usual power up sets. This set is designed to be a lead. Infernape either sets up Stealth Rock or absorbs a hit with Focus Sash and retaliates with Endeavor, finishing the opponent off with a well placed Vacuum Wave.</p>

<p>While on paper Mach Punch may not seem like a bad idea, the split in EVs needed to boost the power of both Mach Punch and Overheat / Fire Blast will cause Infernape to lose critical OHKOs, most notably against opposing leads like Bronzong, which is why Vacuum Wave is recommended. It should be mentioned that Vacuum Wave lacks the power to 2HKO max HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar; not that Tyranitar will be switching in on Infernape anytime soon. Additionally, Overheat is recommended over Fire Blast, despite the power drop it causes, to OHKO most Bronzong silly enough to stay in.</p>

<p>With Focus Sash basically providing Infernape with a safety net against most attacks, the practical thing to do is maximize Speed and Special Attack in order to add as much oomph to Infernape's attacks as possible. Remaining EVs should be dumped into Attack, allowing Infernape to deal more damage with Endeavor when not at 1 HP due to Focus Sash.</p>
xd

They way you have the end phrased is really odd. As it stands now, you imply that Endeavor is given an extra kick because there are EV's in Attack, while in actuality the extra kick comes from the fact that the EV's aren't in HP. There's no reason not to put them in Attack, given that putting them in Defense or Sp. Defense are counter productive. It just could use some rephrasing.
you are right.
what could also be added that it is a possibility to drop HP IV to 0, thus providing an additional 31 points of damage. i think that's been overlooked in my posting above^^"

the final phrase in the analysis might sound like:
"drop HP IV to 0 and put the remaining 4 EVs into attack [or just don't put them anywhere at all XD] to provide endeavor with some 31 dmg extra power in case you might want to use it right off the bat"

have a nice day ^__^

All fixed I removed the 'due to Focus Sash" part as it sounded awkward to me at least. Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I dunno guys, I tried using this set, but unfortunately, it wasn't as effective as it seems...

Let's see. So the main strategy of using this set is dependent on focus sash, right? If you're just setting up SR, the original leadape set does it better. If you're trying to endeavor and take the pokemon down with vaccum wave, this won't easily work. Perhaps the biggest problem to this set's inefficiency is the fact that infernape is fast. You try endeavoring your opponent, but since you're faster, you can't get them to one hp left. they attack you with a stabbed SE that hungs you on focus sash. you then endeavor as they kill you. You didn't take that pokemon out.
Perhaps the opponent is faster than you? Pokemon that are faster than you are usually frail sweepers can easily be KOed by some stabbed attack, given your focus sash wasn't used beforehand. You can then take them down with vacuum wave. Can't leadape do that? Just fake out and then sweep the pokemon.

Was this set aimed to destroy other walls/bulk pokemon? Yesterday, something really nice happened to me.

The guy sent out something that I can't really remember (I think it was something weak to infernape). He switched out as I set up SR. He sends out gyarados. I try using this strategy. I endeavor 'right of the bat', as he DDs, expecting me to switch. I thought that I was going to take down gyarados - just endeavor as I hang on my focus sash and then use vaccum wave. Unfortunately, something else happened..
He DDs again, as I use endeavor. Perhaps he immediatley realized what my strategy was. So, he like DDed again, and i again endeavor. After that, he used ice fang. Now, it's not very effective, so he 'deactivated' my focus sash. With that, I endavor him to like 55%, and then he sweeps me with waterfall. Gyrados was then ready to sweep.

Perhaps this strategy can be done by almost any bulky pokemon? Deactivate your sash by using a weak attack, and then sweep with a strong stabbed/SE move. This just ruins everything.

If you only want to set up SR, you're off going with a standard leadape. It's more effective.

If you have any disaggrements/improvments, tell me and i'll try it out. Thanks for your time ;)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
remove the 4 evs from attack and just leave none if you dont use any physical attacks.

Although the flaws listed with this set are valid, all sets have flaws. I think this should be added because every set adds to the sheer impredictability of Infernape.

I agree with Chris, even though it's extremely nitpicky and situational, remove the 4 Atk EVs so you hurt yourself less in confusion. Just mention in the Set Comments why you only utilize 504 EVs.

Thanks everyone for the comments I've mentioned it already in the set comments. Have a nice day ^^.

@Amre92:
I wouldn't have posted a set if I hadn't tested it out myself. For me it works and others have also confirmed it (look above). Only thing I can say is try it out more maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Is that so? Will, I just wanted to share my opinion :S
Anyways, good luck you guys. I might do more testing. If I find something that needs improvement or so, I'll post as soon as I can ;)

He switched out as I set up SR. He sends out gyarados. I try using this strategy. I endeavor 'right of the bat', as he DDs, expecting me to switch. I thought that I was going to take down gyarados - just endeavor as I hang on my focus sash and then use vaccum wave. Unfortunately, something else happened..
He DDs again, as I use endeavor. Perhaps he immediatley realized what my strategy was. So, he like DDed again, and i again endeavor. After that, he used ice fang. Now, it's not very effective, so he 'deactivated' my focus sash. With that, I endavor him to like 55%, and then he sweeps me with waterfall. Gyrados was then ready to sweep.

Perhaps this strategy can be done by almost any bulky pokemon? Deactivate your sash by using a weak attack, and then sweep with a strong stabbed/SE move. This just ruins everything.

If you only want to set up SR, you're off going with a standard leadape. It's more effective.

If you have any disaggrements/improvments, tell me and i'll try it out. Thanks for your time ;)
two questions:
first - if you had been using a standard infernape set, would you have stayed in against that gyarados anyway instead of saving it for later?
second - i know by myself that this set isnt 100% foolproof, but what if the gyarados doesnt run ice fang? it's all mindgames then, son ^^

in my opinion endeavor ape cant just be compared to other ape sets cause it lacks the devastating endgame sweep power that np mixape has...i'd describe his function in the game more as an opener for your sweeper in offensive-minded teams... set up sr, cripple something with endeavor to enable your sweeper an easier time setting up a sweep. the damage you deal with endeavor even its not at 1 hp might suffice to bring your enemy's pokémon into kill range.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've tested this set as a lead, and quite frankly this is now the lead on my top team, as well as one of my favourite pokemon to use. People haven't cottoned on to this set yet, but from my experiences it works great. The main advantage over Azelf (who has Explosion > Endeavour) is the fact that Bronzong is forced out. That and the fact that if Infernape is faster then the revenge killer (after it Endeavour/Wave's), it can potentially kill two pokemon instead of just randomly exploding like Azelf. Anyway once again, well done Servant :).

P.S - Mamoswine also does this set very well :)

Malfunction

nice desu ne
two questions:
first - if you had been using a standard infernape set, would you have stayed in against that gyarados anyway instead of saving it for later?
second - i know by myself that this set isnt 100% foolproof, but what if the gyarados doesnt run ice fang? it's all mindgames then, son ^^

in my opinion endeavor ape cant just be compared to other ape sets cause it lacks the devastating endgame sweep power that np mixape has...i'd describe his function in the game more as an opener for your sweeper in offensive-minded teams... set up sr, cripple something with endeavor to enable your sweeper an easier time setting up a sweep. the damage you deal with endeavor even its not at 1 hp might suffice to bring your enemy's pokémon into kill range.
How common are SR, son? If you switch out, you're risking coming in on an enemy hazard, which kills focus sash, hence completely ruining this set. Also, the gyarados thingy was just an example my friend. A lot of things can do this to infernape.

But since MS says it's good, then indeed it is.
Thanks for your time.

P.S - Mamoswine also does this set very well :)
The following know Endeavor and at least 1 Priority attack-

As does Donphan (Ice Shard)
Staraptor (Quick Attack)
Hitmontop + Technician to handle those with Leftovers (Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave, Quick Attack)
Raticate (Sucker Punch, Quick Attack)
Swellow (Quick Attack)
Dodrio (Quick Attack)
Primeape (Vacuum Wave)
Khangaskhan (Sucker Punch)
Linoone (Extreme Speed)

P.S. Doesn't Counter make more sense over Endeavor? Forces it to go last, nets a KO in 1 turn (not 2), and doesn't worry about Leftovers on Pokemon that resist Fighting (Crobat). Yes, there are special sweepers that threaten Infernape that bypass Counter, but still.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
great set, used agaisnt me to KO half my team.

I have tested Counter on it and have found it not as useful bc of the large ammount of hippos it will draw. Endeavor would be my choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)