Infernape (Nasty Plot)*

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Ape
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Focus Blast / Close Combat
move 4: Grass Knot / Vacuum Wave
item: Life Orb
ability: Blaze
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Infernape's versatility and wide movepool allow it to be a constant threat. This set utilizes Infernape's access to the move Nasty Plot, which doubles its Special Attack stat, and allows it to make the most of its two 120 Base Power STAB attacks. The basis of this set is to use Infernape's ability to force a switch and set up on the free turn. After a Nasty Plot, Infernape has two extremely powerful STAB attacks at its disposal in Fire Blast and Focus Blast. They both have a massive 120 Base Power, but have shaky accuracy at 85% and 70%, respectively. With a Nasty Plot under its belt, Infernape can OHKO Salamence and has a chance of OHKOing Gyarados with Fire Blast after they've taken Stealth Rock damage. The last move is up to personal preference, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Vacuum Wave is a STAB attack that can give you priority against Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Heatran and Tyranitar and enemy priority users like Lucario. On the other hand, Grass Knot gives you a reliable way to deal with bulky Water-type Pokemon, such as Swampert, Suicune, and Vaporeon, as opposed to relying the inaccurate Focus Blast or an unboosted Close Combat.</p>

<p>If the poor accuracy of Fire Blast and Focus Blast are unfavorable to you, there is always the option of using Flamethrower and Close Combat. Flamethrower is an 100% accurate Fire-type move that comes at the cost of only having 95 Base Power. The lack of damage that this move deals can be made up for with it having the guaranteed hit, but you will miss out on some OHKOs such as against Gyarados and Salamence. Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast that can deal with special walls like Blissey and Snorlax. If you opt for Close Combat, be sure to change the nature to Naive, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey, but you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Lucario, all of whom will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Latias and Starmie can use their typings and relative bulk to stop this set in its tracks. Both have the Speed to outpace Infernape, and have access to a Water-type attack that can OHKO Infernape with ease. To make things worse, they both have access to reliable recovery in the form of Recover. For the above reasons, both of these Pokémon make a solid check to Nasty Plot Infernape; however, only really Latias can switch in to take a hit, as Starmie would need to revenge kill or come in on the Nasty Plot. It is recommended that you couple it with a sturdy Pokemon capable of using Pursuit, such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Snorlax, or Metagross. Rapid Spin support is also never a bad thing to have as Life Orb recoil, entry hazards, and the ever-present sandstorm can really take their toll on Infernape's health.</p>

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think if you're using Fire Blast AND Focus Blast, Wide Lens might deserve a mention in Additional Comments, in case they worry about accuracy. but of course, Life Orb damage is preferred.

otherwise, here's a proofread:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

[SET]
name: NP Ape

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Infernape's versatility and wide array of moves in it's movepool allows him to be such a constant threat. This set utilizes Infernape's access to the move Nasty Plot, which doubles his Special Attack stat, and allows him to make the most of his two, 120 Base Power, STAB-boosted attacks. The basis of this set is to use Infernape's ability to force a switch, and set-up on the free turn. After a Nasty Plot, Infernape has two extremely powerful STAB attacks at it's disposal in Fire Blast and Focus Blast. They both carry a massive 120 Base Power, but have shaky accuracy at 80% and 75%, respectively. To demonstrate its power, with a Nasty Plot under it's belt, Infernape can OHKO Salamence and Gyarados with Fire Blast after they've taken Stealh Rock damage , demonstrating it's massive firepower. The last move is up to personal preference, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Vacuum Wave is a STAB attack that can give you priority on Scarfed Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar as well as on other Pokemon who abuse priority moves to deal damage, such as Scizor [Infernape resists Bullet Punch x4 lol. Don't need to mention Scizor]. On the other hand, Grass Knot gives you a reliable way to deal with bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Swampert, Suicune, and Vaporeon as opposed to relying on a shaky at best Focus Blast or an unboosted Close Combat.</p>

<p>If the poor accuracy of Fire Blast and Focus Blast are unfavorable to you, there is always the option of using Flamethrower and Close Combat. Flamethrower is an 100% accurate Fire-type move that comes at the cost of only having a 95 base power. The lack of damage dealt by this move, can be made up for with it having the guarantee hit, but you will miss out on some OHKO's such as Gyarados and Salamence. Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast, being an 120 base power physical Fighting-type attack that comes at the cost of losing 1 stage of both Defense and Special Defense after use. If you opt for Close Combat, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey, however you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran and Lucario, all of which that will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This Infernape has a lot of trouble with Latias and Starmie, so it is recommended that you couple it with a sturdy Pokemon capable of using Pursuit, such a Tyranitar, Scizor, Snorlax and Metagross. Rapid Spin support is also never a bad thing to have as Life Orb recoil, entry hazards and the ever-so-present Sandstorm effect can really take it's toll on Infernape's health.</p>

<p>As aforementioned, both Latias and Starmie can use their typing and relative bulk to stop this set in it's tracks. Both have the Speed to outpace Infernape, and have access to a Water-type attack that can KO Infernape with ease. To make things worst, they both have access to reliable recovery in the form of Recovery, and in Latias' case, Roost as well [Have you ever seen a Roosting Latias? Really?]. For the above reasons, both of these make a solid check to Nasty Plot Infernape's, however only really Latias can switch in to take a hit, as Starmie would need to revenge kill or come in on the Nasty Plot. </p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: NP Ape

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Infernape's versatility and wide movepool allows it to be a constant threat. This set utilizes Infernape's access to the move Nasty Plot, which doubles its Special Attack stat, and allows it to make the most of its two 120 Base Power STAB attacks. The basis of this set is to use Infernape's ability to force a switch and set-up on the free turn. After a Nasty Plot, Infernape has two extremely powerful STAB attacks at its disposal in Fire Blast and Focus Blast. They both carry a massive 120 Base Power, but have shaky accuracy at 85% and 70% respectively. To demonstrate its power, with a Nasty Plot under it's belt, Infernape can OHKO Salamence and has a chance of OHKOing Gyarados with Fire Blast after they've taken Stealth Rock damage. The last move is up to personal preference, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Vacuum Wave is a STAB attack that can give you priority on Scarfed Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar as well as on other Pokemon who abuse priority moves to deal damage. On the other hand, Grass Knot gives you a reliable way to deal with bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Swampert, Suicune, and Vaporeon, as opposed to relying on a shaky at best Focus Blast or an unboosted Close Combat.</p>

<p>If the poor accuracy of Fire Blast and Focus Blast are unfavorable to you, there is always the option of using Flamethrower and Close Combat. Flamethrower is an 100% accurate Fire-type move that comes at the cost of only having a 95 Base Power. The lack of damage dealt by this move can be made up for with it having the guaranteed hit, but you will miss out on some OHKOs such as Gyarados and Salamence. Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast, being an 120 Base Power physical Fighting-type attack that comes at the cost of losing 1 stage of both Defense and Special Defense after use. If you opt for Close Combat, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey; however, you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Lucario, all of whom will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This Infernape has a lot of trouble with Latias and Starmie, so it is recommended that you couple it with a sturdy Pokemon capable of using Pursuit, such a Tyranitar, Scizor, Snorlax, or Metagross. Rapid Spin support is also never a bad thing to have as Life Orb recoil, entry hazards, and the ever-present sandstorm can really take their toll on Infernape's health.</p>

<p>The aforementioned Latias and Starmie can use their typing and relative bulk to stop this set in its tracks. Both have the Speed to outpace Infernape, and have access to a Water-type attack that can KO Infernape with ease. To make things worse, they both have access to reliable recovery in the form of Recover. For the above reasons, both of these make a solid check to Nasty Plot Infernape; however, only really Latias can switch in to take a hit, as Starmie would need to revenge kill or come in on the Nasty Plot.</p>

--- --- ---

Overall quite good, some grammar stuff here and there but w/e. I thought that this was already in the on-site analysis, but I guess I was mistaken?

The set comments are extremely large, especially compared to the additional comments. I think it's best to explain the moves slashed in in additional comments instead, as well as other item choices or spreads that may be. The whole point in additional comments is to make the set comments a short read for those who aren't interested in going in-depth, so the set comments being this large is really bugging me.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Great analysis Yogi. The only grammar mistake I could find was in the following sentence:
Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast, being an 120 Base Power physical Fighting-type attack that comes at the cost of losing one [always spell out numbers less than ten] stage of both Defense and Special Defense after use.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't NP in the set name need to be spelled out to Nasty Plot?

Also, over at this area:

If you opt for Close Combat, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey; however, you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Lucario, all of whom will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.
I think a synonym should be used in place of one of these, such as "but" in the first "however".

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think NP Ape is acceptable, I'll ask a mod just to make sure though. Thanks for all of the edits guys!

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Ape [I would avoid abbreviating it for new player sake]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Infernape's versatility and wide movepool allows it to be a constant threat. This set utilizes Infernape's access to the move Nasty Plot, which doubles its Special Attack stat, and allows it to make the most of its two 120 Base Power STAB attacks. The basis of this set is to use Infernape's ability to force a switch and set-up on the free turn. After a Nasty Plot, Infernape has two extremely powerful STAB attacks at its disposal in Fire Blast and Focus Blast. They both have a massive 120 Base Power, but have shaky accuracy at 85% and 70% respectively. With a Nasty Plot under its belt, Infernape can OHKO Salamence and has a chance of OHKOing Gyarados with Fire Blast after they've taken Stealth Rock damage. The last move is up to personal preference, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Vacuum Wave is a STAB attack that can give you priority on Scarfed Pokemon(,) such as Heatran and Tyranitar and enemy priority users like Lucario. On the other hand, Grass Knot gives you a reliable way to deal with bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Swampert, Suicune, and Vaporeon, as opposed to relying the innacurate Focus Blast or an unboosted Close Combat.</p>

<p>If the poor accuracy of Fire Blast and Focus Blast are unfavorable to you, there is always the option of using Flamethrower and Close Combat. Flamethrower is an 100% accurate Fire-type move that comes at the cost of only having a 95 Base Power. The lack of damage dealt by this move can be made up for with it having the guaranteed hit, but you will miss out on some OHKOs such as Gyarados and Salamence. Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast that can deal with special walls like Blissey and Snorlax [changed to make it relevant to the up-and-coming sentence. ultimately making it more concise]. If you opt for Close Combat be sure to change the nature to Naive, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey; but, you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. [Snorlax would be a nice calc too] However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Lucario, all of whom will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[I have merged these two paragraps so that they flow together. It was awkward seeing the reasons to why starmie and latias beats it in the final paragraph.]

<p>Latias and Starmie can use their typing and relative bulk to stop this set in its tracks. Both have the Speed to outpace Infernape, and have access to a Water-type attack that can OHKO Infernape with ease. To make things worse, they both have access to reliable recovery in the form of Recover. For the above reasons, both of these make a solid check to Nasty Plot Infernape; however, only really Latias can switch in to take a hit, as Starmie would need to revenge kill or come in on the Nasty Plot. It is recommended that you couple it with a sturdy Pokemon capable of using Pursuit, such a Tyranitar, Scizor, Snorlax, or Metagross. Rapid Spin support is also never a bad thing to have as Life Orb recoil, entry hazards, and the ever-present sandstorm can really take their toll on Infernape's health.</p>

---

good job. comments in parathesis, changes in bold! My only suggestion is suggesting a spinner with infernape (specific pokemon, not just spinning in general). i can see tentacruel or foretress being potential partners with infernape, so you might want to incorporate that.

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Infernape's versatility and wide movepool allows it to be a constant threat. This set utilizes Infernape's access to the move Nasty Plot, which doubles its Special Attack stat, and allows it to make the most of its two 120 Base Power STAB attacks. The basis of this set is to use Infernape's ability to force a switch and set-up on the free turn. After a Nasty Plot, Infernape has two extremely powerful STAB attacks at its disposal in Fire Blast and Focus Blast. They both have a massive 120 Base Power, but have shaky accuracy at 85% and 70% respectively. With a Nasty Plot under its belt, Infernape can OHKO Salamence and has a chance of OHKOing Gyarados with Fire Blast after they've taken Stealth Rock damage. The last move is up to personal preference, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Vacuum Wave is a STAB attack that can give you priority on Scarfed Pokemon, such as Heatran and Tyranitar and enemy priority users like Lucario. On the other hand, Grass Knot gives you a reliable way to deal with bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Swampert, Suicune, and Vaporeon, as opposed to relying the inaccurate Focus Blast or an unboosted Close Combat.</p>

<p>If the poor accuracy of Fire Blast and Focus Blast are unfavorable to you, there is always the option of using Flamethrower and Close Combat. Flamethrower is an 100% accurate Fire-type move that comes at the cost of only having a 95 Base Power. The lack of damage dealt by this move can be made up for with it having the guaranteed hit, but you will miss out on some OHKOs such as Gyarados and Salamence. Close Combat is also an option over Focus Blast that can deal with special walls like Blissey and Snorlax. If you opt for Close Combat be sure to change the nature to Naive, you will do a minimum of 104% on the standard 24 HP / 252 Def Calm Blissey, but (either the semicolon or the conjunction but not both) you will lose the ability to hit bulky Water-type Pokemon unless you opt for Grass Knot as the third choice. However, if you opt for Grass Knot, you lose the ability to OHKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Lucario, all of whom will jump at the opportunity to ruin a sweep.</p>
i basically just wanted to find some mistakes so that i could post in this thread to ask you why you changed your name back :(

I have used NP Ape a lo, and I would suggest making it an option to run Nasty Plot / Fire Blast / Grass Know/ Vacuum Wave. With the moveset, you still beat Tyranitar, but you take out Suicune and all Bulky Waters more easily too. On average, I have found that a Np Lo Fire Blast from Blissey 2KOes her with SR up and most will switch out from fear of CC. The only things you could beat with that moveset but now lose to are Snorlax and Vaporeon. Now you beat a ton of faster pokemon easily. I am simply suggesting a slash in the Focus Blast/CC section for Grass Knot.

Just something to consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)