OU Infernape

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
do you think mixape even deserves a set joey? i honestly feel like infernape's only niche is sash endevour. i think an argument can be made for the stallbreaker set, since it was used in a popular RMT, but all the other sets seem infinitely outclassed to me.
I think sash endeavor should be the #1 set but mixape definitely deserves a chance. it is outclassed but a mon that can be hard to switch into with a free switch

As I've stated before, Mix Infernape is still effective, and does have its niches. I think what aim said was smart too. Mach Punch IMO should be slashed with U-Turn and Stone Edge should be slashed with Grass Knot, since, before Stone Edge, I've been switching it up with Thunder Punch for a Zard Y fighting type wallbreaker and Gyarados lure and it has been pretty effective. You can say Terrakion does this too, but this is just a moveslot, and, combined with Mach Punch, Infernape just does pretty damn well vs Sand Offense. If I wasn't going to be reassigned for doing so, I would refuse to reject Mix Infernape. It's still viable.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've been using the following set as a pseudo-suicide lead to great effect:

Infernape @ Focus sash
252 Atk/252 Spd Jolly
- Flare Blitz/Endeavor
- Close Combat/Mach Punch
- Stealth Rocks
- Taunt

At its worst, it gets up rocks. At its best, it shuts down opposing leads, sets up rocks on the switch and then hits hard til it dies. I also like using it to stop some walls mid-game and then using the very suicide-y combo of Close Combat and Flare Blitz to cause damage and get a 'safe' switch.

But feel free to ignore this set.

Last edited:
Quickbobhero progess? Don't forget to put ape lead as #1 and well the changes that were talked about earlier on mixape
Sorry. I've been too busy playing MK8 haha. I'm doing it now. Thanks for keeping Mix Infernape!

EDIT: Did all the changes now! Can I put QC 2/3 now or nah?

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
2/3 feel free to slash the alternative spread and why you could use it and what you miss out on as we discussed

2/3 feel free to slash the alternative spread and why you could use it and what you miss out on as we discussed
Just put! Thanks. :) I also mentioned how it lets you things such as OHKO Greninja after Rocks with the added Attack you can add and just hitting harder with CC in general.

I'll finish writing this up Monday. I have some catchup I have to do in terms of school before then and most of my family is coming over for the week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry completely forgot about this, I'll finish it by today/tomorrow.

EDIT: Did the Endeavor set and will probably finish up the Mixed set as well, but for the rest I'll most likely do tomorrow as I have a pretty important APUSH test to study for.

Last edited:
Ready for the final check! The overview might be a bit too long, but I really wanted to end things off with a high note while not starting off too negatively.

Endeavor
########
name: Endeavor
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Close Combat / Taunt
ability: Blaze
item: Focus Sash
evs: 168 Att / 88 SpA / 252 Spd
nature: Naive
Change that to Atk
edit:oh, do this on the physically defensive set too

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First, wasn't the mixed set supposed to be scrapped?

Second, the current mixed set doesn't have the best combination of moves. It has already been explained how Thunder Punch covers stallbreaker Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Azumarill, Gyarados, and Starmie, yet it's not even on the main set. Also, the current set is walled by any kind of Clefable, which is unacceptable for a Pokemon that is supposed to wallbreak. Putting Fire Blast in Moves and having Flare Blitz as the sole option on the set fixes this. Removing Fire Blast would mean that Hidden Power Ice is needed for Landorus-T and Gliscor, with Thunder Punch or Grass Knot on the last slot. Mach Punch and U-turn are nice and all, but Inferanpe just can't wallbreak effectively with them, and if you want an offensive check to Bisharp just use Keldeo or Cobalion, which are both way better Pokemon against offensive teams. Both U-turn and Mach Punch should go to Moves, alongside Fire Blast. This would leave us with this mixed set:

- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Punch / Grass Knot

Thankfully for Infernape, Quagsire usage has been on the decline lately, further lessening the need for Grass Knot.

First, wasn't the mixed set supposed to be scrapped?

Second, the current mixed set doesn't have the best combination of moves. It has already been explained how Thunder Punch covers stallbreaker Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Azumarill, Gyarados, and Starmie, yet it's not even on the main set. Also, the current set is walled by any kind of Clefable, which is unacceptable for a Pokemon that is supposed to wallbreak. Putting Fire Blast in Moves and having Flare Blitz as the sole option on the set fixes this. Removing Fire Blast would mean that Hidden Power Ice is needed for Landorus-T and Gliscor, with Thunder Punch or Grass Knot on the last slot. Mach Punch and U-turn are nice and all, but Inferanpe just can't wallbreak effectively with them, and if you want an offensive check to Bisharp just use Keldeo or Cobalion, which are both way better Pokemon against offensive teams. Both U-turn and Mach Punch should go to Moves, alongside Fire Blast. This would leave us with this mixed set:

- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Punch / Grass Knot

Thankfully for Infernape, Quagsire usage has been on the decline lately, further lessening the need for Grass Knot.
Quickbobhero Infernape is walled by Alomomola and needs Spikes support from Greninja or another setter to break through it.

168 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 192-229 (40 - 47.7%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
168 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 192-229 (40 - 47.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery

Infernape also loses to both Latios and Latias, you need to make bigger mention of them. Mentioning Bisharp and Tyranitar as teammates is not enough, Scarf Tar is 2HKOd by Latios' Surf and cannot OHKO Latios with Pursuit unless it switches out or has at least 26% prior damage (though if you Flare Blitz or CC on it, you can put it in KO range, though it can get more complicated if it carries ), and Bisharp takes too much from Latios' attacks to come in directly on it, so a bait mon with U-turn or Volt Switch that bring in that Pursuit trapper would be a good idea if using Bisharp, since Infernape has no space for U-turn itself.

This is my thoughts (basically friendly argument) as to why I believe alexwolf's change isn't completely factual and what I believe should happen to it. I'll respond to Alfalfa's post later but I'll just say that I plan on fixing up the other options to properly fit the metagame, and the play style I find Infernape to work best in, bulky offense.

The Mixed set is fine for the most part, it's not supposed to be this godly wallbreaker to the point where it uses up it's entire movepool just to deal with stall, two wallbreakers isn't incredibly hard to fit on a team and having some other one isn't too bad. Mach Punch is honestly one of the best moves for Mixed Infernape and I just don't see any reason why it should move down. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "can't break Clefable" since after very little residual damage/knock off Infernape with the "optional" EV's I mentioned (which I think should be the main spread) where you can 2hko physically defensive Clefable with Fire Blast. (Also you can 2hko Mega Venusaur after SR which is also a big deal) Suiciding your Pokemon just to score a 2hko you can already get seems really silly, especially with Life Orb racking up. If anything, Flare Blitz should go to "moves."

I already mentioned that Mach Punch should be kept but it should be the third slot and standalone because it's just too damn useful and I've explained why in many other posts. I do agree the fourth slot should be Thunder Punch / Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot, though. With Stone Edge moving to moves because it lets you do neat things like KO Latios with SE+Mach+SR, and beat other things Thunder Punch can't like Charizard X and annoy Dragonite since you're not running HP Ice and Thunder Punch at the same time.

As for a visual, this is how it would look like.
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch / Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot

Of course, I don't have much control over this, but these are things I would do if I were able to decide what to do with this, but I believe as an experienced Mixed Infernape user in this current meta, that my proposal seems to be like the best set. I am not hating on you or anything, and I would glad to take any reasons/other changes you believe should occur. :)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When i talk about Clefable, i mean SR Clefable, the set i see the most. And without Flare Blitz, you are walled to hell and back by it. I trust that you have more experience with Nape than i do, but i just can't get how this thing is supposed to be even a semi-decent wallbreaker if it can't even break through such a common pivot on all kinds of teams. And it's not like we are talking about a Pokemon that is easy to wear down or trap either, as Clefable can't be worn down outside of packing multiple Pokemon that are walled by it to eventually overwhelm it.

This is a legitimate valid point, and my response is that many secondary Pokemon that scales well generally has a way to dealing with this Clefable set such as Azumarill and Mega Gardevoir and hell even Latios if you knock off leftovers will make Clefable think twice, even Pokemon such as sp.d Ferrothorn can check via Gyro Ball but he's not necessarily always going to be on a bulky offensive team with Infernape so I'll give you that. I think Flare Blitz should be included if you were to lack these, though. I was theorymonning on Infernape+Mega Heracross and Flare Blitz would certainly seem useful. I think putting it in second would be much more useful practically, but as a standalone Pokemon Flare Blitz first would seem just fine. Either way, HP Ice is going to be the first option on the last slot just to help with confusion.

Either way a revamp of the team options is in order btw too further fit the playstyle where Infernape fits way better in.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments)
Infernape is cool.

Overview
########
From a lead to wallbreaking and stallbreaking, Infernape is a versatile monkey who that is able to do perform a good amount of roles effectively against any kind of playstyle, (AC) while scaling pairing well with many late-game (AC) cleaners. That being said, (redundant w/following) However, each set has competition that really holds it back from being a major threat like it was in DPP. It's The Endeavor set has competition as a suicide lead over with Azelf and Terrakion, who which are able to completely set up grab momentum for their team in the early game. The mixed set has a lot of competition with Landorus, Keldeo, and Mega Heracross, who which also wallbreak but oftentimes (one word) more efficiently, and while the stallbreaking set can sometimes better be replaced with Mew, who which has much better bulk and access to Defog. That being said, Infernape manages to distinctively hold a strong niche with each set. The Endeavor set can provide more pressure later on in the game and even act as an effective way to hamper almost any sweeper, (period to comma) while the mixed set has the ability to use its good coverage to lure a great amount of switch-ins and create good offensive opportunities (this last part sounds really vague, I'd change it to 'gain a lot of offensive momentum, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean). Finally, its the stallbreaker stallbreaking set can handle Bisharp, Mega Scizor, and Heatran much better than Mew can (less ambiguous). This makes Infernape a Pokemon that certainly shouldn't be disregarded with teambuilding. (generic closures that add no new content should be avoided)

Endeavor
########
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Thanks to Focus Sash, (putting important information first: this bit shouldn't be an afterthought) Endeavor can be used to reliably bring an opposing Pokemon down to 1 HP thanks to Focus Sash. Overheat is a good STAB move that hits a lot of Pokemon neutrally. Stealth Rocks is to is mandatory support for every team and (or w/e, but it was too vague otherwise so it needed a little additional explanation) makes Infernape an effective lead. Close Combat is also a good move that's (fix apostrophe) boosted by STAB and provides you Infernape with more coverage, while Taunt lets you it stop opposing leads from using Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========
252 Speed EVs (remove apostrophe) with a Naive nature allows you to get the maximum speed possible maximizes Infernape's Speed, being which is useful for Speed ties tying (wording consistency) with Keldeo and Terrakion, as well as outspeeding Pokemon such as Manectric pre mega evolution before it Mega Evolves. Focus Sash is mandatory and essentially the crux of this set. (please don't ever use this kind of sentence, it adds nothing) It allows you Infernape to reliably get off use Endeavors at 1 HP and severely weaken any not non-Ghost-type (add dash) Pokemon. Blaze-boosted (add dash) Overheat does a plethora of damage to most of the offensive metagame Pokemon. 168 Attack EVs (remove apostrophe) allows Close Combat to beat KO notable Pokemon such as Heatran and Chansey, 100% always OHKOing the former after Stealth Rocks, (RC) and cleanly 2HKOing (wording consistency) the latter being a clean 2HKO. However, if Close Combat is replaced with Taunt is preferred over Close Combat, in run 252 Special Attack EV’s in replace of the 168 Attack EVs. move the Attack EVs to Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========
Oftentimes (one word), using this set as a lead is the best time way to use it, (period to comma) even moreso (one word) if your team lacks a reliable Defogger or Rapid Spinner to keep Infernape's (fix apostrophe) Focus Sash intact. However, you can also use it Infernape's STAB Overheat as a way to stop sweepers such as Mega Pinsir using your STAB Overheat, (RC) or being able to easily revenge kill sweepers such as Agility Mega Ampharos. (please make sure I didn't butcher the content of this sentence because I wasn't 100% sure what was going on in that last part) Furthermore, you Infernape can perform something akin to a wallbreaker pseudo-wallbreak by using Endeavor on a wall such as Mega Venusaur to bring it down to 1 HP and effectively make the wall it useless.

Team Options
========
Offensive Defoggers and Rapid Spinners such as Latios or and Excadrill can help preserve Infernape until mid-game (add hyphen). Pokemon with similar checks to Infernape, (AC) such as Mega Tyranitar or and Keldeo, (AC) is are also nice, (AC) since as (causal 'since' is unexpectedly tricky to use properly so it's recommended to just stay with 'as' or 'because') Infernape can bait lure (either 'bait' or 'lure out') them said checks out and proceed to cripple them with Endeavor. A Pokemon that commonly learn runs Stealth Rock (such as?) is highly recommended to further achieve the unpredictability factor.

MixApe
########
name: MixApe
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Punch / Grass Knot
ability: Iron Fist
item: Life Orb

Moves
========
Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest Fighting STAB move and allows it to hit neutral Pokemon that take neutral damage for some solid damage. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire STAB move to hit physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor for solid damage. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, (RC) and lets Infernape 2HKO Stealth Rocks Clefable, a common pivot in on many teams, but it really makes Infernape vulnerable to passive damage; (SC; split uncomfortably long sentence) and it also leaves Infernape walled by the aforementioned threats, making Infernape need Hidden Power Ice to compensate. Mach Punch is extremely useful in order to revenge kill threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, while also letting Infernape avoid a potential Speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108 Speed Pokemon. Hidden Power Ice can be used as the final move for hitting Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, and specially defensive Gliscor. Thunder Punch lets Infernape handle many otherwise hard checks on the switch-in, (add hyphen and comma) such as Talonflame, Azumarill, Gyarados, and Mega Charizard Y. However, Stone Edge is a nice replacement because it allows Infernape to also hit Mega Charizard X hard, (AC) while also being able to hit 2HKO Latios and Latias for a 2HKO. Finally, Grass Knot is a solid option, (AC) since as it allows Infernape to hit two three (I assume) usually solid checks, OHKOing Quagsire, (RC) as well as 2HKOing Slowbro and specially defensive Hippowdon.

Set Details
========
168 Attack EVs ensures Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran and 2HKOes Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice guarantees a OHKOes on Gliscor, Landorus, and Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 Special Attack EVs also allows Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Landorus with Fire Blast. (period to comma; uncomfortably long sentence so I'm splitting it) meaning it can This allows Infernape to run Grass Knot or Mach Punch, making Infernape it harder to wall and gives giving it more utility. Maximum Speed investment is extremely useful in order to tie with other base 108 Speed Pokemon such as Keldeo and to outspeed Pokemon such as Manectric pre-Mega Evolution before it Mega Evolves. That being said, by opting An alternate option is to run 208 Speed EVs; (SC) while missing out on Speed ties on with Keldeo and Terrakion, as well as being slower than Manectric, (period to comma) You Infernape still outspeed Garchomp. (period) and can This allows you Infernape to run 132 Special Attack EVs, (period to comma) which allows you it to 2HKO physically defensive Clefable and do deal considerably more damage to Slowbro and Amolamola Alomomola. Iron Fist is used because it is far more consistent than Blaze, (AC) since as it always boosts the power of Mach Punch, as well as Thunder Punch, (RC) if you decide to run it.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so you shouldn't despair when Infernape faints, as it has probably paved the road for your team's sweepers. Infernape's strong STAB moves allow it to break through many walls that are common in on stall, such as Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. This, (AC) combined with Infernape's nice coverage and Speed, (AC) allows it to threaten and KO the majority of Pokemon on the switch-in. However, when using Infernape, you need to make sure that you aren't too reckless, as it is easily worn down by Life Orb recoil as well as entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you choose to use Flare Blitz. Having a Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch greatly compliments complements Infernape's ability to wallbreak since by allowing you can to safely switch it in.

Team Options
========
Latios and Latias are some of the best partners for Infernape because they greatly appreciate Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory, Mega Scizor, Tyranitar, and Bisharp, (AC) while making it incredibly hard for many of Infernape's common switch-ins (add hyphen) to not take a heavy beating from a Draco Meteor or Psyshock. Offensive Fairy-types (add hyphen) such as Mega Gardevoir and Azumarill are great options because it they checks many Pokemon Infernape doesn't like, (AC) such as Latios, Latias, Clefable, and Keldeo. (comma to period, split sentence because it was uncomforably long) while appreciating They also appreciate Infernape's ability to switch in on Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn; (SC) which is extremely important for the former as Heatran and Jirachi Mega Gardevoir especially appreciates Infernape dealing with Heatran and Jirachi, which (sorry, the examples Scizor and Ferrothorn completely fucked up the flow and I didn't want to remove those :\ if you do remove them, you can maintain the entire sentence I crossed out, just add a comma before 'as' and replace 'the former' with Mega Gardevoir') pose huge threats otherwise. Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types and Flying-types that Infernape might struggle with, like such as Slowbro and Talonflame, while providing nice momentum and safely switching Infernape in for Infernape via Volt Switch. Mega Scizor is also really nice to have because it can abuse switch-ins (add hyphen) to Infernape, (AC) such as Azumarill or Latios, (AC) and allow Mega Scizor to by setting up and pose posing a huge threat. Finally, Mega Charizard Y appreciates Infernape's ability to beat Bisharp, (AC) while Infernape appreciates Charizard's sun boosted boosting its Fire Blasts.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Taunt
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 40 Spe

Moves
========
Will-O-Wisp lets you Infernape burn Pokemon such as Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Mega Gyarados, and Azumarill, (AC) and cripple crippling them. Close Combat is a useful STAB move that allows you Infernape to beat Heatran. Slack Off is used for longevity, and while Taunt prevents Pokemon such as Mew and Mega Venusaur to use status moves or recover HP.

Set Details
========
Maximum Defense EVs (remove apostrophe) and an Impish nature lets it Infernape wall Bisharp and Mega Scizor. 212 HP EVs let’s you take maximum maximize recovery from Leftovers and can also allow Infernape to take an Aqua Jet from an Assault Vest Azumarill, allowing Infernape to burn it and severely crippling cripple it for the rest of the match. The remaining 40 EVs are invested in Speed speed let’s you outspeed in order to outrun Adamant 252 speed (kinda redundant; spreads have to either outspeed 0 Spe or 252 Spe, and it's safe to assume that everybody knows Adamant Gyarados runs Speed) Gyarados.

Usage Tips
========
Send out Infernape on utility Pokemon such as Mew so you it can Taunt them and make them unable to do anything, or on Pokemon that can't (fix curly apostrophe) really hurt Infernape, (AC) such as Heatran without Earth Power, Bisharp, and Mega Scizor. Try to use Infernape to lure out threats such as Azumarill or Mega Gyarados, to and massively lower their effectiveness by burning them.

Team Options
========
Pokemon weak to Bisharp/ and (remove slash)Mega Scizor, (AC) such as Latios, Latias, and Jirachi, (AC) will appreciate Infernape's (fix apostrophe) ability to switch into those Pokemon and knock them out. Infernape itself appreciates having Pokemon to partners that can handle bulky Water-type (add dash) Pokemon, (AC) like such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, (AC) would really help Infernape since because this set has no way to reliably handle these Pokemon. Pokemon such as SD Mega Scizor or Dragonite who that don’t appreciate Steel-types (add dash) such as Magnezone and Heatran stopping their way from sweeping teams appreciate Infernape defeating them (or w/e, but this sentence was incomplete).

Other Options
########
Infernape can run a Choice Band set with sun support, as it hits very hard with Flare Blitz and also has a very powerful Close Combat for Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves. However, this set will take massive recoil thanks to the damage Flare Blitz dishes out. Infernape also appreciates being able to switch moves, since because otherwise it lets a plethora of Pokemon check it fairly easily.

A Nasty Plot set with Close Combat is also an option because it cleanly 2HKOes many otherwise huge threats to special sweepers, (AC) such as Chansey and Heatran, (AC) while still having Fire Blast and a coverage move of choice. However, Infernape is frail and will get shut down by most revenge killers, often making setting up meaningless.

Checks & Counters
########
**Revenge Killers**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially if it has super effective priority. If Infernape cannot kill it the opponent with Mach Punch, (AC) then you must switch or else to prevent Infernape will be likely from being knocked out. Even with the Endeavor set, Infernape still has troubles with Pokemon like Azumarill and Talonflame, as those Pokemon can avoid taking maximum damage from Endeavor.

**Slowbro and Hippowdon**: Unless it's Mixed Infernape with is running Grass Knot, these Pokemon Slowbro and Hippowdon have no trouble switching in on Infernape it, as they can abuse their abilities to take out even Endeavor Infernape while being in a remaining healthy state themselves.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Timbuktu

get bukt
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's an amcheck :)
(WIP)

Add | Capitalize
Remove
Comments

Overview
########
From being a lead to wallbreaking and stallbreaking, Infernape is a versatile monkey that is able to perform a good amount of roles effectively against any kind of playstyle, while pairing well with many late game cleaners. However, each set has competition that really holds it back from being a major threat. The Endeavor set has competition as a suicide lead with Azelf and Terrakion, which are able to completely grab momentum for their team in the early game. The mixed set has a lot of competition with Landorus, Keldeo, and Mega Heracross, which also wallbreak but oftentimes more efficiently, while the stallbreaking set can sometimes better be replaced has better potential with Mew, which has much better bulk and access to Defog. That being said, Infernape manages to distinctively hold a strong niche with each set. The Endeavor set can provide more pressure later on in the game and can even act as an effective way to hamper almost any sweeper, while the mixed set has the ability to can use its good coverage to lure a great amount of switch-ins and gain good offensive momentum. Finally, the stallbreaking set can handle Bisharp, Mega Scizor, and Heatran much better with Infernape than with Mew can.

Endeavor
########

Moves
========
Thanks to Focus Sash, Endeavor can be used to reliably bring an opposing Pokemon down to 1 HP. Overheat is a good STAB move that hits a lot of Pokemon neutrally This is a filler sentence that should be replaced. Stealth Rock is mandatory support for almost every team and makes Infernape an effective lead. Close Combat is also a good move that is boosted by STAB and provides Infernape with more coverage, while Taunt lets it stop opposing leads from using Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========
252 Speed EVs with a Naive nature maximizes Infernape's Speed, which is useful for speed tying with Keldeo and Terrakion, as well as outspeeding and lets it outspeed Pokemon such as Manectric before it Mega Evolves that have not Mega Evolved. Focus Sash is mandatory. It because it allows Infernape to reliably use Endeavor at 1 HP and severely weaken any non-Ghost type Pokemon. Blaze-boosted Overheat does a plethora of damage to most offensive Pokemon This sentence isn't completely filler, but it should probably be reworded. 168 Attack EVs allow Close Combat to KO notable Pokemon such as Heatran and Chansey, always OHKOing the former always being OHKOed after Stealth Rocks, and cleanly 2HKOing the latter. However, if Taunt is preferred over Close Combat, move the Attack EVs to Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========
Oftentimes, using this set as a lead is the best way to use it, even moreso if your team lacks a reliable Defogger or Rapid Spinner to keep Infernape's Focus Sash intact. However, you can also use Infernape's STAB Overheat as a way to stop sweepers such as Mega Pinsir or to easily revenge kill sweepers such as Agility Mega Ampharos. Furthermore, Infernape can psuedo-wallbreak by using Endeavor on a wall, such as Mega Venusaur, to bring it down to 1 HP and effectively make it useless.

Team Options
========
Offensive Defoggers and Rapid Spinners, such as Latios and Excadrill, respectively, can help preserve Infernape until mid game: Pokemon with similar checks to Infernape, such as Mega Tyranitar and Keldeo, are also nice as Infernape can lure said checks out and proceed to cripple them with Endeavor. A Pokemon that commonly runs Stealth Rock, such as Garchomp, is highly recommended to further achieve the unpredictability factor.

MixApe
########
name: MixApe
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Punch / Stone Edge / Grass Knot
ability: Iron Fist
item: Life Orb

Moves
========
Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest Fighting STAB move and allows it to hit Pokemon that are hit neutrally for some solid damage. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire-type STAB move to hit physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor for solid damage. Flare Blitz hits harder in general and lets Infernape 2HKO Stealth Rock Clefable, a common pivot on many teams, but it really makes Infernape vulnerable to passive damage; it also leaves Infernape walled by the aforementioned threats, making Infernape need Hidden Power Ice to compensate. Mach Punch is extremely useful in order to revenge kill for revenge killing threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, while also as well as letting Infernape avoid a potential Speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108 Speed Pokemon. Hidden Power Ice can be used as the final move for hitting Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, and specially defensive Gliscor. Thunder Punch lets Infernape handle many otherwise hard checks on the switch-in, such as Talonflame, Azumarill, Gyarados, and Mega Charizard Y. However, Stone Edge is a nice replacement because it allows Infernape to also hit Mega Charizard X hard while also being able to 2HKO Latios and Latias. Finally, Grass Knot is a solid option, as it allows Infernape to hit three usually solid checks, OHKOing Quagsire as well as 2HKOing Slowbro and specially defensive Hippowdon.

Set Details
========
168 Attack EVs ensure Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran and 2HKOes Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice OHKOes physically defensive Gliscor, Landorus, and Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 Special Attack EVs also allow Infernape to 2HKO physically defensive Gliscor and Landorus with Fire Blast. This allows Infernape to run Grass Knot or Thunder Punch, making it harder to wall and giving it more utility. Maximum Speed investment is extremely useful in order to tie with other base 108 Speed Pokemon such as Keldeo and to outspeed Pokemon such as Manectric before it Mega Evolves. An alternative option is to run 208 Speed EVs; while missing out on Speed ties with Keldeo and Terrakion, as well as being slower than Manectric, Infernape still outspeeds Garchomp. This allows Infernape to run 132 Special Attack EVs, which allows it to 2HKO physically defensive Clefable and do considerably more damage to Slowbro and Alomomola. Iron Fist is used because it is far more consistent than Blaze, as it always boosts the power of Mach Punch as well as Thunder Punch, if you decide to run it.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so you shouldn't despair when Infernape faints, as it has probably paved the road for your team's sweepers. Infernape's strong STAB moves allow it to break through many walls that are common on stall, such as Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. This, combined with Infernape's nice coverage and Speed, allows it to threaten and KO the majority of Pokemon on the switch-in. However, when using Infernape, you need to make sure that you aren't too reckless, as it is easily worn down by Life Orb recoil as well as entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you choose to use Flare Blitz. Having a Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch greatly complements Infernape's ability to wallbreak by allowing you to safely switch it in.

Team Options
========
Latios and Latias are some of the best partners for Infernape because they greatly appreciate Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, Tyranitar, and Bisharp, while making it incredibly hard for many of Infernape's common switch-ins to not take a heavy beating from a Draco Meteor or Psyshock. Offensive Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir and Azumarill are great options because they check many Pokemon Infernape doesn't like such as Latios, Latias, Clefable, and Keldeo. They also appreciate Infernape's ability to switch in on Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn; Mega Gardevoir especially appreciates Infernape dealing with Heatran and Jirachi, which pose huge threats otherwise. Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types and Flying-types that Infernape might struggle with, such as Slowbro and Talonflame, while providing nice momentum and safely switching Infernape in via Volt Switch. Mega Scizor is also really nice to have because it can abuse switch-ins to Infernape, such as Azumarill or Latios by setting up and posing a huge threat. Finally, Mega Charizard Y appreciates Infernape's ability to beat Bisharp, while Infernape Charizard's sun boosting its Fire STAB.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Taunt
item: Leftovers
evs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 40 Spe

Moves
========
Will-O-Wisp lets Infernape burn Pokemon such as Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Mega Gyarados, and Azumarill, crippling them. Close Combat is a useful STAB move that allows Infernape to beat Heatran. Slack Off is used for longevity, while Taunt prevents Pokemon such as Mew and Mega Venusaur to use status moves or recover HP.

Set Details
========
Maximum Defense EVs and an Impish nature lets Infernape wall Bisharp and Mega Scizor. 212 HP EVs maximize recovery from Leftovers and also allow Infernape to take an Aqua Jet from an Assault Vest Azumarill, allowing Infernape to burn it and severely cripple it for the rest of the match. The remaining 40 speed let’s you outspeed Adamant Gyarados.

Usage Tips
========
Send out Infernape on utility Pokemon such as Mew so it can Taunt them and make them unable to do anything, or on Pokemon that can't really hurt Infernape, such as Heatran without Earth Power, Bisharp, and Mega Scizor. Try to use Infernape to lure out threats such as Azumarill or Mega Gyarados and massively lower their effectiveness by burning them.

Team Options
========
Pokemon weak to Bisharp and Mega Scizor such as Latios, Latias, and Jirachi, will appreciate Infernape's ability to switch into those Pokemon and knock them out. Infernape itself appreciates having partners that can to handle bulky Water-type Pokemon, such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, because this set has no way to reliably handle these Pokemon. Pokemon such as SD Mega Scizor and Dragonite that don't appreciate Steel-types such as Magnezone and Heatran stopping their way from sweeping teams appreciate Infernape defeating them.

Other Options
########
Infernape can run a Choice Band set with sun support, as it hits very hard with Flare Blitz and also has a very powerful Close Combat for Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves. However, this set will take massive recoil thanks to the damage Flare Blitz dishes out. Infernape also appreciates being able to switch moves, because otherwise a plethora of Pokemon check it fairly easily.

A Nasty Plot set with Close Combat is also an option because it cleanly 2HKOes many otherwise huge threats to special sweepers, such as Chansey and Heatran, while still having Fire Blast and a coverage move of choice. However, Infernape is frail and will get shut down by most revenge killers, often making setting up meaningless.

Checks & Counters
########
**Revenge Killers**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially if it has super effective priority. If Infernape cannot KO the opposing Pokemon with Mach Punch, you must switch to prevent Infernape from being knocked out. Even with the Endeavor set, Infernape still has troubles with Pokemon like Azumarill and Talonflame, as those Pokemon can avoid taking maximum damage from Endeavor.

**Slowbro and Hippowdon**: Unless Infernape is running Grass Knot, Slowbro and Hippowdon have no trouble switching in on it, as they can abuse their abilities to take out even Endeavor Infernape while remaining healthy themselves.

Timbuktu I added the majority of it! Nice work. :D Only didn't do anything about the comments and the comparison to Mew changes.

Also, Stone Edge is supposed to be in Moves only, since it is a rather niche replacement for Thunder Punch. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)