Infernape [Writing]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]
Infernape is a pretty interesting Pokemon in the VGC metagame, as it sits as one of the fastest available Fire-types, only beaten by Talonflame and Mega Houndoom. However, it still suffers from being below the base 110 speed tier, where many Pokemon, such as Latios and Gengar, sit. While Infernape might commonly be thought of as primarily an offensive Pokemon, it often takes a more supportive approach in VGC, with access to great support moves such as Quick Guard and Fake Out. These moves are also the ones that make Infernape stand out as a supportive Fire-type over Arcanine, which often is preferred for that role due to its access to Intimidate, Morning Sun, and Snarl, as well as better bulk. Infernape suffers from poor defensive stats, although its offensive stats are good, and it often finds itself as a support Pokemon with a good offensive prescence.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Quick Guard / Protect
item: Focus Sash
ability: Blaze
nature: Naive
evs: 152 Atk / 100 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Fake Out gives Infernape's teammate more free space turn one
  • Overheat provides Fire-STAB and lets Ape knock out Grass-, Bug-, Ice-, and Steel-types
  • Close Combat gives Ape coverage for Rock- and Normal-types, and alternative coverage for Ice- and Steel-types
  • Quick Guard lets Infernape block priority moves such as Fake Out and Thunder Wave from Prankster users
  • Protect lets Infernape avoid unnecessary hits and double targeting

Set Details
========

• 100 SpA Overheat OHKO's 4 HP Mega Metagross
  • Max Speed to outspeed as much as possible as well as having a chance at winning a speed tie against a musketeer or opposing Ape, rest dumped into Atk
  • Naive nature for max Speed and not hindering any of the moves power, and Naive over Hasty because of Sucker Punch and Fake Out from opponents
  • Blaze is the chosen ability since it powers up Overheat when at low health, and Iron Fist is useless for this set
  • Sash lets Infernape live a hit, which it quickly could struggle with without it

Usage Tips
========

• Infernape is best used as a lead to provide Fake Out support turn one.
  • When considering what Pokemon to use Fake Out on, consider that your opponent will be completely aware of what the most obvious play is most likely, and try to predict Protects that want to avoid the Fake Out, and maybe use it on the other foe
  • Infernape can't switch in on any attacks, since its defensive typing isn't really good in the VGC metagame
  • Switching Infernape out in order to preserve it for lategame can be nice to keep the Fake Out pressure

Team Options
========

• Has great synergy with Gardevoir, as Gardevoir resists Psychic, and Infernape deals with all Steel-types that give Gardevoir trouble such as Aegislash and Heatran with its STAB. Gardevoir also likes the free space Fake Out provides
  • Rotom-W also has amazing synergy with it, being immune to Ground, and beating Ground- and Water-types, while Infernape beats Grass-types
  • Pokemon that set up something, such as Tailwind or Substitute, appreciate the Fake out support
  • Users of powerful spread moves such as Landorus-T, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Tyranitar, appreciate the Fake Out support, which can neutralize the Pokemon on the opposing side which provides the biggest threat to them. The damage dealt by spread moves can also help Infernape get KO's with its STABs
  • Wide Guard users such as Aegislash and Swampert are good to have since Infernape resists zero spread attacks barring Blizzard, and is weak to Earthquake and Aerilate Hyper Voice, and spread attacks break the sash

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Flare Blitz
  • Offensive set with Life Orb
  • Mach Punch
  • Feint
  • Encore
  • Heat Wave
  • Taunt
  • Gunk Shot
  • Rock Slide
  • Thunder Punch
  • Lum Berry

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Rotom-W and Milotic can OHKO or deal massive damage to Infernape, while Infernape 3HKOs most Water-types with Close Combat

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Rhyperior can KO Infernape or bring it down to sash easily with their STAB attacks, and Rhyperior while being weak to Close Combat, only barely gets 2HKOed, almost 3HKOed by Close Combat

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Gardevoir don't take much damage at all from Infernape's attacks, and deal solid damage back with super effective Psychic-STAB

[OVERVIEW]
  • Good Speed, but still falls short of some Pokemon like Gengar and Mega Salamence
  • Neat support movepool with Fake Out and Quick Guard, which is the only thing that gives it a niche over Arcanine as a supporrive Fire-type
  • Good STABs and offensive stats
  • Poor bulk
  • Outclassed as an offensive Fighting-type by Terrakion, and as an offensive Fire-type by Charizard Y, although offensively it finds a niche over Terrakion in the fact that it doesn't get walled by Pokemon such as Aegislash, Metagross, and Amoonguss

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Fake Out gives Infernape's teammate more free space turn one
  • Overheat provides Fire-STAB and lets Ape knock out Grass-, Bug-, Ice-, and Steel-types
  • Close Combat gives Ape coverage for Rock- and Normal-types, and alternative coverage for Ice- and Steel-types
  • Quick Guard lets Infernape block priority moves such as Fake Out and Thunder Wave from Prankster users
  • Protect lets Infernape avoid unnecessary hits and double targeting

Set Details
========

• 100 SpA Overheat OHKO's 4 HP Mega Metagross
  • Max Speed to outspeed as much as possible as well as having a chance at winning a speed tie against a musketeer or opposing Ape, rest dumped into Atk
  • Naive nature for max Speed and not hindering any of the moves power, and Naive over Hasty because of Sucker Punch and Fake Out from opponents
  • Blaze is the chosen ability since it powers up Overheat when at low health, and Iron Fist is useless for this set
  • Sash lets Infernape live a hit, which it quickly could struggle with without it

Usage Tips
========

• Infernape is best used as a lead to provide Fake Out support turn one.
  • When considering what Pokemon to use Fake Out on, consider that your opponent will be completely aware of what the most obvious play is most likely, and try to predict Protects that want to avoid the Fake Out, and maybe use it on the other foe
  • Infernape can't switch in on any attacks, since its defensive typing isn't really good in the VGC metagame
  • Switching Infernape out in order to preserve it for lategame can be nice to keep the Fake Out pressure

Team Options
========

• Has great synergy with Gardevoir, as Gardevoir resists Psychic, and Infernape deals with all Steel-types that give Gardevoir trouble such as Aegislash and Heatran with its STAB. Gardevoir also likes the free space Fake Out provides
  • Rotom-W also has amazing synergy with it, being immune to Ground, and beating Ground- and Water-types, while Infernape beats Grass-types
  • Pokemon that set up something, such as Tailwind or Substitute, appreciate the Fake out support
  • Users of powerful spread moves such as Landorus-T, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Tyranitar, appreciate the Fake Out support, which can neutralize the Pokemon on the opposing side which provides the biggest threat to them. The damage dealt by spread moves can also help Infernape get KO's with its STABs
  • Wide Guard users such as Aegislash and Swampert are good to have since Infernape resists zero spread attacks barring Blizzard, and is weak to Earthquake and Aerilate Hyper Voice, and spread attacks break the sash

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Flare Blitz
  • Offensive set with Life Orb
  • Mach Punch
  • Feint
  • Encore
  • Heat Wave
  • Taunt
  • Gunk Shot
  • Rock Slide
  • Thunder Punch
  • Lum Berry

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Rotom-W and Milotic can OHKO or deal massive damage to Infernape, while Infernape 3HKOs most Water-types with Close Combat

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Rhyperior can KO Infernape or bring it down to sash easily with their STAB attacks, and Rhyperior while being weak to Close Combat, only barely gets 2HKOed, almost 3HKOed by Close Combat

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Gardevoir don't take much damage at all from Infernape's attacks, and deal solid damage back with super effective Psychic-STAB

Last edited:
Not QC, but while Infernape's Speed is solid, it falls short of quite a few prominent threats, most notably the Latis, Thundurus, Gengar, a majority of Megas, and anything holding a Choice Scarf, which is pretty important to note in the Overview and C&C.

I think Taunt, WoW, Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, and Iron Fist-boosted Thunder Punch should all be mentioned somewhere, preferably in OO.

I might think of more things to add down the road, if a QC member doesn't beat me to it. Keep up the good work!

Not QC, but while Infernape's Speed is solid, it falls short of quite a few prominent threats, most notably the Latis, Thundurus, Gengar, a majority of Megas, and anything holding a Choice Scarf, which is pretty important to note in the Overview and C&C.

I think Taunt, WoW, Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, and Iron Fist-boosted Thunder Punch should all be mentioned somewhere, preferably in OO.

I might think of more things to add down the road, if a QC member doesn't beat me to it. Keep up the good work!
I don't really find it's speed tier to be as big of a problem as you make it to be. The Latis, max speed Thundurus, and to an extent Gengar are not that common. Not outspeeding MegaMence stinks for it but what outspeeds it anyways. I would tbh never call its speed anything but good, although sure I'll mention that it still gets outsped by some things

I'll mention most of those moves, except WoW, I honestly think it gets completely outclassed in that regard by Arcanine, to the point where I wouldn't mention it in OO.

Looking at this again, a couple of things should be added to Set Details: a mention of Blaze powering up Overheat (since Iron Fist is useless with the recommended moves) and at least a line about Sash (Nape usually can't take a hit otherwise).

...Which reminds me, both Lum Berry (stops paralysis or sleep in a pinch, and can actually benefit from Swagger) and Safety Goggles (makes Nape an even bigger roadblock to Spore/Sleep Powder users like Amoonguss) should probably be mentioned somewhere (a slash alongside Sash, in Set Details, or in OO, idk).

As for C&C...getting back to the subject of Nape's speed, I think categories for both "Faster Pokemon" (the things I mentioned earlier, most notably Gengar, MegaMence, and anything w/ Choice Scarf) and "Speed Control" (Twave, Tailwind, TR, weather abusers) also need be added (idk the best way to sort that out, I'd leave it to you and QC).

Okay, now I think I've covered everything that I think needs to be addressed... :pirate:

Looking at this again, a couple of things should be added to Set Details: a mention of Blaze powering up Overheat (since Iron Fist is useless with the recommended moves) and at least a line about Sash (Nape usually can't take a hit otherwise).

...Which reminds me, both Lum Berry (stops paralysis or sleep in a pinch, and can actually benefit from Swagger) and Safety Goggles (makes Nape an even bigger roadblock to Spore/Sleep Powder users like Amoonguss) should probably be mentioned somewhere (a slash alongside Sash, in Set Details, or in OO, idk).

As for C&C...getting back to the subject of Nape's speed, I think categories for both "Faster Pokemon" (the things I mentioned earlier, most notably Gengar, MegaMence, and anything w/ Choice Scarf) and "Speed Control" (Twave, Tailwind, TR, weather abusers) also need be added (idk the best way to sort that out, I'd leave it to you and QC).

Okay, now I think I've covered everything that I think needs to be addressed... :pirate:
Added the blaze and sash bit, thanks for catching that. Added Lum as well, but goggles seems really pointless when you OHKO Amoonguss anyways, and redirection isn't the biggest issue either since KO'ing stuff isn't Infernape's main job.

As for the C&C stuff, I kind of agree with your points, but personally I don't like putting stuff that is supposed to outspeed and KO in C&C on a sash set, I just feel like it is wrong to say "use this pokemon to beat Infernape", when stuff like Gengar isn't really something fitting for that role imo. I'll think about it though, and maybe hear with some other QC members (if they ever get to this).

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
This has been in QC for a while haha.

Overview:
I'd mention how unlike Terrakion, Infernape doesn't get walled by Aegislash, Amoonguss, or Mega Metagross.

Otherwise, looks good QC: 1/2 :]

This has been in QC for a while haha.

Overview:
I'd mention how unlike Terrakion, Infernape doesn't get walled by Aegislash, Amoonguss, or Mega Metagross.

Otherwise, looks good QC: 1/2 :]
Thanks for finally checking this (I was about to ask you about it anyways), implemented :)

Ksh13 I wrote this up for you:
[OVERVIEW]

Infernape is a pretty interesting Pokemon in the VGC metagame, as it sits as one of the fastest available Fire-types, only beaten by Talonflame and Mega Houndoom. However, it still suffers from being below the base 110 speed tier, where many Pokemon, such as Latios and Gengar, sit. While Infernape might commonly be thought of as primarily an offensive Pokemon, it often takes a more supportive approach in VGC, with access to great support moves such as Quick Guard and Fake Out. These moves are also the ones that make Infernape stand out as a supportive Fire-type over Arcanine, which often is preferred for that role due to its access to Intimidate, Morning Sun, and Snarl, as well as better bulk. Infernape suffers from poor defensive stats, although its offensive stats are good, and it often finds itself as a support Pokemon with a good offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out gives Infernape's teammates more free space to use their moves on the first turn Infernape is on the field by flinching the foe. Overheat provides a Fire-type STAB that is capable of OHKOing many Grass-, Bug-, Ice-, and Steel-types. Close Combat gives Infernape coverage for Rock- and Normal-types, as well as alternative coverage for Ice- and Steel-types. Quick Guard provides a means to block priority moves used against your side of the field such as Fake Out and Thunder Wave from Prankster users. Protect lets Infernape avoid unnecessary damage and prevents it from being double targeted as a means of dealing with its Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

A Focus Sash is used because Infernape is frail and allowing it to take at least one hit means it doesn't struggle to get off its moves before being removed. Blaze is the chosen ability since it powers up Overheat when at low health; a likely occurrence with Focus Sash. Note that Iron Fist does not boost the power of Close Combat, despite the implication. Maximum Speed EVs and a Naive nature are used to allow Infernape to outspeed as many foes as possible; most notably allowing it to at least speed tie with other base 108s such as Terrakion and Virizion. A Naive nature is used over Hasty because most priority moves like Sucker Punch and Fake Out are physical. 100 Special Attack EVs are used to guarantee the OHKO on 4 HP Mega Metagross with Overheat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to boost the damage of Close Combat.

Usage Tips
========

Infernape is best used in the lead position to provide Fake Out support for its allies on the first turn. When considering which target to use Fake Out on, note that your opponent is likely to be completely aware of what the most obvious play is and will therefore try to outmaneuver you by using Fake Out. Using Fake Out on the target least likely to use Protect can be an effective means to prevent this. Infernape can't switch in on any attacks since its defensive typing is poor, so wait until you've given a free switch in such as at the start of the game or when a teammate has been knocked out before sending Infernape in. Switching Infernape out in order to preserve Fake Out for the late game can be valuable to put the pressure on your opponent at that time.

Team Options
========

Infernape has particularly great synergy with Gardevoir, as Gardevoir resists Psychic and Infernape deals with Steel-types that give Gardevoir trouble such as Aegislash and Heatran with its STAB moves. Gardevoir also enjoys the free space that Fake Out provides. Rotom-W equally has amazing synergy with Infernape, being immune to Ground-type moves and beating Ground- and Water-types. In return, Infernape is able to beat Grass-types for Rotom-W. Setup Pokemon such as users of Tailwind or Substitute appreciate Infernape's Fake Out support in order to get off their moves. Users of powerful spread attacks such as Landorus-T, Mega Charizard Y, and Tyranitar also appreciate Fake Out support as this can neutralize the Pokemon on the opposing side which would be the biggest threat to them. The damage dealt by spread moves can also help put them into KO range of Infernape's attacks. Wide Guard users such as Aegislash and Swampert are good to have since Infernape resists almost none of them and is weak to Earthquake and Aerilate Hyper Voice. Spread moves in general are also not good as they make it easier to break Infernape's Focus Sash.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flare Blitz can be used as a alternative to Overheat, but many of the foes weak to Fire, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, have higher Defense than Special Defense. Heat Wave can also be used over Overheat, but although it hits both foe, it deals less damage to an individual Pokemon and is susceptible to being blocked by Wide Guard. A more offensive set with Life Orb can be attempted, utilizing moves such as Mach Punch, Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, and Thunder Punch, but Infernape's strengths generally lie in its support moves which are best complimented by a Focus Sash. Feint can be used to break a target's Protect for an ally. Infernape is just fast enough to make use of Encore, which can be especially useful to lock foes into support moves such as Fake Out or Trick Room. Taunt is another means of disrupting more supportive foes by preventing them from using them altogether, barring the use of a Mental Herb. Finally, a Lum Berry can be used to block sleep and paralysis from preventing Infernape from doing this job.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Rotom-W and Milotic can OHKO or deal massive damage to Infernape, while Infernape 3HKOs most Water-types with Close Combat.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Rhyperior can KO Infernape or bring it down to sash easily with their STAB attacks, and Rhyperior while being weak to Close Combat, only barely gets 2HKOed, almost 3HKOed by Close Combat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Gardevoir don't take much damage at all from Infernape's attacks, and deal solid damage back with super effective Psychic-STAB.

After you've copy and pasted it into the OP if you could put it in the GP queue so I can implement the checks for you and upload it as a Battle Spot Doubles analysis that'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)