Pokémon Infernape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using a Nasty Plot Infernape.
It works quite well simply because there are more people expecting Infernape to be physical, it also helps against abilities and items that would badly damage Infernape in the process such as Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet.

I heard somebody in the ou chat pitch the idea of overheat with white herb, and acrobatics, as a good mixed attacking set, along with close combat, stone edge

My first post on here so sorry if this is a terrible idea.

I want to know whether or not SubPunch Infernape is at all viable. I've used it before and I find with the Switches it causes from either its presence or Encore it can get plenty of opportunities to get up Subs and launch a 150 BP Stab further boosted by Iron Fist.

I used this as I'm trying to use the same IVs(30 Att / Def) and everything of my In-game one to get accurate results on what to expect but I feel might be better to go all physical but I go mixed b/c I don't want Flare Blitz eating up all my HP fast.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast

Here is a match I found recently on showdown I apparently uploaded showing how it did in a match:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-73059371

Sorry if this was mentioned before or I have done something wrong. As previously stated I'm new here but have been a looking over this board for a while.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I want to know whether or not SubPunch Infernape is at all viable. I've used it before and I find with the Switches it causes from either its presence or Encore it can get plenty of opportunities to get up Subs and launch a 150 BP Stab further boosted by Iron Fist.

I used this as I'm trying to use the same IVs(30 Att / Def) and everything of my In-game one to get accurate results on what to expect but I feel might be better to go all physical but I go mixed b/c I don't want Flare Blitz eating up all my HP fast.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast

Here is a match I found recently on showdown I apparently uploaded showing how it did in a match:

Sorry if this was mentioned before or I have done something wrong. As previously stated I'm new here but have been a looking over this board for a while.
Wow! I've never seen so many focus punches in a game before!

Anyway, SubPunch is almost always a great strategy, especially on a pokemon like Infernape who gets a 270 BP one. I'm honestly not a big fan of Infernape, as I don't like frail pokemon, but you certainly used it well. Mixed is definitely better, as you want to be able to get base physical and special walls at the same time. I may consider evening out your attack EV's (as Focus Punch hits at a base power of 270, but Fire Blast only hits at a base power of 165), if you want a stronger Fire Blast. Also, since you seem to rarely ever use it, you may want to consider Overheat over Fire Blast. Just my suggestions :)

Infernape @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast
I recommend you gen a Perfect Ape, (31 IV's in all minus Sp.A) I can give you one if needed.

Anyways, I know you are knew as you stated, but this set simply isn't good on Ape, this requires Ape, a pretty frail mon who is trading bulk for versatility and is using it for.....sub punch. Ape simply doesn't have enough power or tankiness to be able to use Focus Punch, and seeing as how Focus Punch always makes you move last...yeah. LO CC is around the same strength and honestly is better. Infernape's niche is his versatility otherwise why pick him?

I recommend you gen a Perfect Ape, (31 IV's in all minus Sp.A) I can give you one if needed.

Anyways, I know you are knew as you stated, but this set simply isn't good on Ape, this requires Ape, a pretty frail mon who is trading bulk for versatility and is using it for.....sub punch. Ape simply doesn't have enough power or tankiness to be able to use Focus Punch, and seeing as how Focus Punch always makes you move last...yeah. LO CC is around the same strength and honestly is better. Infernape's niche is his versatility otherwise why pick him?
Thanks for the offer but I have a thing of only using Kalos Bred Pokémon unless they cant be bred. I have over 200 different kb 5IVs and am able to breed any Hidden Power so not necessary. My In-game Chimchar I bred 31/30/30/31/31/31 w/ the EMs Thunderpunch, Focus Punch, Fake Out, Encore. Gives it the option to run many different possible mixed sets.

Been wondering what other sets I can use with that Chimchar that at least wouldn't waste his potential to go mixed as well as Iron Fist.

Although I know its quite frail but its mostly supposed to cause switches and switch in on predicted boosting/status(that it can switch into) moves and either Encore or set up a Sub depending on what I think they'll do. The set isn't good against all-out attackers however unless they are weak to Fire Blast and I find Infernape can get a fair amount of switch opportunities and with Band Infernape being everything they usually send in their physical wall to take 2 Focus Punches and then if he can finish them off with FB. Though there is quite a bit that resists both Fire and Fighting in OU but nothing really wants to take one of those Focus Punches.

If there are any other possible sets I can run with my personal Infernape I would be glad to hear other options.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast

Man you like using substitute lol.

That was a great replay. Also I really like sub punch and I think in this slower meta game, its a great tactic. Aegislash can be handled without recoil which is a huge boon, and with that speedy substitute, you can finally tank a hit if needed to get the second hit in that nape usually can't due to frailty.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast

Very nice, I can tell that you like your SubPunch's. I don't prefer to use SubPunch because you lose out on offensive momentum, but if you can pull it off, the power output is amazing. And Ape isn't the best choice for SubPunch, because, as previously mentioned, he is pretty frail. His subs just disappear far too fast. His ginormous damage from it is terrifying, but I think that's kind of the point in the first place, is a huge amount of damage, meaning that it would be a better choice to have a defensive poke use it to dish out heavy damage while staying mostly defensive.

Last edited:

Infernape @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast

Frankly, it's outclassed. There are just better sub-punchers.

- Breloom has spore to help it get a sub up, doesn't have to invest in speed, has better recovery thanks to poison heal, and hits a fair amount harder. Plus the sub/spore/stone edge/focus punch helps Breloom lure in Talonflame as well, since most Talonflame think they can outspeed Breloom's Mach Punch and KO.

- Conkeldurr also has Iron Fist, and coming off 140 base attack, his focus punch is just really strong. He also possesses the bulk necessary to use Sub Punch well.

- Azumarrill makes a great Sub Punch user thanks to it's ability to make 101 HP substitutes, it's good coverage in Aqua Jet and Play Rough, and it's good defensive typing and bulk. It can consistently force something out and get a sub up.

Additionally, that set wastes one of Infernape's biggest traits: U-Turn. U-Turn is really one of the only reasons why Infernape even has a slight amount of relevance in OU, so use it if you're going to use an infernape set. In a metagame where Azumarrill, Crawdaunt, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir can all OHKO Ape with their priority, for many teams he's simply going to be dead weight.

Frankly, it's outclassed. There are just better sub-punchers.

- Breloom has spore to help it get a sub up, doesn't have to invest in speed, has better recovery thanks to poison heal, and hits a fair amount harder. Plus the sub/spore/stone edge/focus punch helps Breloom lure in Talonflame as well, since most Talonflame think they can outspeed Breloom's Mach Punch and KO.

- Conkeldurr also has Iron Fist, and coming off 140 base attack, his focus punch is just really strong. He also possesses the bulk necessary to use Sub Punch well.

- Azumarrill makes a great Sub Punch user thanks to it's ability to make 101 HP substitutes, it's good coverage in Aqua Jet and Play Rough, and it's good defensive typing and bulk. It can consistently force something out and get a sub up.

Additionally, that set wastes one of Infernape's biggest traits: U-Turn. U-Turn is really one of the only reasons why Infernape even has a slight amount of relevance in OU, so use it if you're going to use an infernape set. In a metagame where Azumarrill, Crawdaunt, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir can all OHKO Ape with their priority, for many teams he's simply going to be dead weight.
none of those bar breloom are good subpunchers

none of those bar breloom are good subpunchers
And yet I agree they all sub punch just as well if not better than the monkey.

Infernape is fast, that's its strong suit. When trying to get behind a sub, that's almost a hindrance. Sub punch ignores infernape's best qualities, so I don't suggest using it

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And yet I agree they all sub punch just as well if not better than the monkey.

Infernape is fast, that's its strong suit. When trying to get behind a sub, that's almost a hindrance. Sub punch ignores infernape's best qualities, so I don't suggest using it
Agreed. Sub punch causes it to take up two moveslots which can be used as a lead/hazard or just better coverage. Maybe to even get switch initiative. Infernape can serve a huge purpose with the high moveset it gets and Sub punch is wasting it.

Is there a good set Infernape can run that's mixed w/o wasting Iron Fist? I want to experiment with my in-game one as it has 6IVs HP Ice and Naïve+Iron Fist and can relearn Thunderpunch if necessary.

Also due to the special nerf don't know how much is necessary to put in Special Attack/

Honestly I know as stated above its outclassed by other Subpunchers but I just really liked using a Sub Puncher with high speed and access to Encore as for people who send their hazard setters up first which is something I see often end up getting Encored into them allowing Infernape to weaken their teams early in the match while not being in danger when behind a sub. Obviously doesn't work against every team I face but still fun to use when I get it to work.

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. Maybe no-one really prepares for going against Infernape. And maybe they don't expect anything but U-turn from it. But I know from experience that while a good portion of the meta can easily take him, (or her I guess) Ape can destroy so many other parts of the meta with his versatility and mixed offensive capabilities, that as long as you take out his threats, he can wipe the floor with them, or manually switch if they are still there. If you use U-Turn to switch, however, you risk Talonflame hitting you with priority BB, Aqua Jet from Azu, or really any 2x priority move. Or just being flat out outsped. U-Turn isn't quite that great, and neither is it "one of the the only reasons Infernape has even a slight amount of relevance in OU" For example, I don't recall even seeing anyone mention U-Turn on this thread until you did, and this is in fact the Infernape Gen VI OU thread.

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. Maybe no-one really prepares for going against Infernape. And maybe they don't expect anything but U-turn from it. But I know from experience that while a good portion of the meta can easily take him, (or her I guess) Ape can destroy so many other parts of the meta with his versatility and mixed offensive capabilities, that as long as you take out his threats, he can wipe the floor with them, or manually switch if they are still there. If you use U-Turn to switch, however, you risk Talonflame hitting you with priority BB, Aqua Jet from Azu, or really any 2x priority move. Or just being flat out outsped. U-Turn isn't quite that great, and neither is it "one of the the only reasons Infernape has even a slight amount of relevance in OU" For example, I don't recall even seeing anyone mention U-Turn on this thread until you did, and this is in fact the Infernape Gen VI OU thread.
Well, if you're letting a Talonflame or Azumarrill switch in on Ape, you're doing something wrong. U-Turn should be used to gain offensive momentum. For instance, let's say you're up against a team with a Hippowdon that you can't really touch with any of Infernape's moves. Rather than close combatting or Flare Blitzing it as it comes in and then U-Turning out after, the correct play would be to U-Turn out as it switches in, and then proceed to switch to something that *can* threaten it, to prevent it from getting stealth rock set up or Slacking off on the switch. The important part of U-Turn here, though, is that if you just switched, you wouldn't be able to see whether or not they actually brought in Hippowdon after all; U-Turn's relevance is in the "slow" switch it provides- being able to switch yourself *after* you see your opponent's switch.

In fact, by maintaining momentum like this, you're wearing down Ape's counters by not allowing them to recover. Once you've worn them down enough through smart play, Ape's capabilities as a wall-breaker can then be utilized. However, before this point, as you put it, "a good portion of the meta can easily take him." The point of U-Turn is that it can allow Ape and his/her teammates to break down the parts of this Meta that do wall Ape.

Also, why the hell would you U-Turn against Talonflame? You can just OHKO it on the switch with Thunderpunch. If it comes in to revenge ape, then you obviously switch; if you're running Ape without anything that can safely switch into Talonflame, then you definitely need to revise your teambuilding strategy.

Azu is a little more tricky; I'd probably opt to U-Turn out on the predicted and into something that resists Aqua Jet and can threaten Azu back; however, once it's in KO range, a Thunderpunch on the switch can finish Azu off easily. Plus, if it doesn't quite manage to, Ape can outspeed the aqua jet with a Mach Punch to nab the KO. Remember that Azu doesn't have reliable recovery, so it's really not that hard to wear it down to the point where it can't safely switch in on Ape- if that's their only Ape counter, then wearing them down to this point effectively allows Ape to nab a KO every time it enters the battle.

If Ape can sweep their team straight up without switching out once, that's great. Good job. They're a horrible teambuilder. The point is, this won't happen higher up on the ladder.

Basically this. If you want a flat out sweeper you'll be better off picking Terrakion or Keldeo as they pack a stronger punch than Infernape. As much as I love Infernape, an Infernape without U-turn is just a weaker version of other fighters, and you should never be flat out sweeping with Infernape.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically this. If you want a flat out sweeper you'll be better off picking Terrakion or Keldeo as they pack a stronger punch than Infernape. As much as I love Infernape, an Infernape without U-turn is just a weaker version of other fighters, and you should never be flat out sweeping with Infernape.
It depends really on what you bring in Infernape against and if it has a chance to set up,108 speed isn't too amazing but it is nice enough and the wide range of moves, not to mention that it can either run Nasty Plot/Swords Dance and get priority. I honestly don't see the problem, just as long as you give it the right moveset. Obviously it won't be able to sweep at different situations due to not having the right moves for the Pokemon.

It depends really on what you bring in Infernape against and if it has a chance to set up,108 speed isn't too amazing but it is nice enough and the wide range of moves, not to mention that it can either run Nasty Plot/Swords Dance and get priority. I honestly don't see the problem, just as long as you give it the right moveset. Obviously it won't be able to sweep at different situations due to not having the right moves for the Pokemon.
Swords Dance is outclassed by Terrakion who is faster and has higher attack; while terrakion has worse Priority, it also doesn't have the same struggles with Talonflame, plus it can break through things like Gliscor much easier with that powerful Stone Edge.

Nasty Plot is honestly just not great on Ape anymore. He doesn't have special Priority in this Priority-centric metagame (lol vacuum wave Ape), he's hard walled by a bunch of mons (Bliss, Chans, Clefable, and Jellicent and others can all easily take a nasty plot ape on and come out victorious; his STAB focus blast is weak, and he misses out on a nice way to hit Chans/Bliss, like Keldeo's secret Sword; additionally, grass knot is no longer good coverage due to the lightness of so many of the bulky waters in the current meta- Rotom-W takes pittance, and Gastrodon is only 2HKOd, so it can Toxic, Scald, or Earth Power you after taking a hit). He has massive struggles with Priority, making his sweeping opportunities few and far between. Sure, he can sweep, maybe one in 50 matches with nasty plot, but is it really worth a teamslot to get that rare NP Ape sweep?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only real reason to use Mixed Infernape over Choice Specs / LO Keldeo, is if your team team has troubles against Grass-types, such as Mega Venusaur and AV Tangrowth, or if you really struggle against Mega Scizor and want a reliable way to OHKO it. Also, Iron Fist Mach Punch is nice to pick off Pokemon such as Bisharp, Mega Charizard X, Greninja, Mega Tyranitar, Sand Force Excadrill, and Mega Gyarados, but Infernape really struggles to find the moveslot for it, as Fire Blast / Close Combat / ThunderPunch are musts, and U-turn is really nice for Lati@s, though the fact that many Pokemon can trap and kill them kinda helps.

So, if i wanted to use Infernape, i would be using the mixed set with Fire Blast / CC / ThunderPunch / Mach Punch, as it's the one that differentiates Infernape from Keldeo the most, and i would just use Choice Scarf Tyranitar or Pursuit Bisharp to deal with Lati@s.

Swords Dance is outclassed by Terrakion who is faster and has higher attack; while terrakion has worse Priority, it also doesn't have the same struggles with Talonflame, plus it can break through things like Gliscor much easier with that powerful Stone Edge.
Infernape and Terrakion both have 108 speed lol.

The only real reason to use Mixed Infernape over Choice Specs / LO Keldeo, is if your team team has troubles against Grass-types, such as Mega Venusaur and AV Tangrowth, or if you really struggle against Mega Scizor and want a reliable way to OHKO it. Also, Iron Fist Mach Punch is nice to pick off Pokemon such as Bisharp, Mega Charizard X, Greninja, Mega Tyranitar, Sand Force Excadrill, and Mega Gyarados, but Infernape really struggles to find the moveslot for it, as Fire Blast / Close Combat / ThunderPunch are musts, and U-turn is really nice for Lati@s, though the fact that many Pokemon can trap and kill them kinda helps.

So, if i wanted to use Infernape, i would be using the mixed set with Fire Blast / CC / ThunderPunch / Mach Punch, as it's the one that differentiates Infernape from Keldeo the most, and i would just use Choice Scarf Tyranitar or Pursuit Bisharp to deal with Lati@s.
Why is Thunder Punch a must? I really don't see the reasoning since Infernape's main problems are Azumarril, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and the Lati@s. the first three all have priority and basically require you to predict to use it otherwise the moveslot is wasted, (Ape also has fire moves for predicting Pinsir lol) and U-Turn is how you get Lati@s killed via pursuit from other dude. U-Turn is a MUCH better option.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Infernape and Terrakion both have 108 speed lol.

Why is Thunder Punch a must? I really don't see the reasoning since Infernape's main problems are Azumarril, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and the Lati@s. the first three all have priority and basically require you to predict to use it otherwise the moveslot is wasted, (Ape also has fire moves for predicting Pinsir lol) and U-Turn is how you get Lati@s killed via pursuit from other dude. U-Turn is a MUCH better option.
ThunderPunch is a must because BU Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Charizard Y, and Gyarados are all huge threats and without it they would be able to switch into you and either heal with Roost and then KO you, or set up on you. Of course you have to hit Azumarill with ThunderPunch on the switch, the same way that that Mega Charizard Y must predict the Terrakion switch-in and use SolarBeam, but this doesn't mean that it's not a good way of dealing with said check.

Darnell

Respected.
Quickbobhero, post: 5307630, member: 101129"]Infernape and Terrakion both have 108 speed lol.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Lets try searching up things before we post that please :(

Simply switch out then, just because of Mega-Pinsir/Talonflame doesn't mean that it shouldn't be looked at, I'm sure Terrakion has issues as well which Pokemon as it doesn't have such a wide move spread like Infernape. Infernape can run mixed as well and simply HP Ice the Gliscor.

ThunderPunch is a must because BU Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Charizard Y, and Gyarados are all huge threats and without it they would be able to switch into you and either heal with Roost and then KO you, or set up on you. Of course you have to hit Azumarill with ThunderPunch on the switch, the same way that that Mega Charizard Y must predict the Terrakion switch-in and use SolarBeam, but this doesn't mean that it's not a good way of dealing with said check.
Nice, not necessary. If your team has a way to get those mons reliably, (Rotom-W literally checks all of them minus Zard Y lol) having a way to switch while knowing what to bring and push the momentum way into your side. If you're building a team with Infernape, you should probably have one way to beat them anyways lol. It's just the safer option overall, unless your team is Zard Y weak, which admittedly isn't uncommon to have one that is, but that's basically it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)