1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Inferno (Peaked #1)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Psychotic, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Psychotic

Psychotic There's one life, one love so there can only be one King
    is a Tiering Contributor

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Sup everyone, Psycho here, bringing you my first ever RMT. This is probably my favorite (as well as most successful) team that I have made in my entire Pokemon career and managed to peak at #1 on the Smogon UU server, but I am retiring it because by now everyone has caught on to my sets, and they are no longer a suprise. I started off with the idea of basing a team around an extremely underrated threat that no one seemed to use, and Specs Chandelure was the perfect candidate. During the first versions of this team, I tried to make Chandelure the main sweeper, but failed miserably. Then I realized how great of a wallbreaker this pokemon was and how easily it picked apart teams lacking one of its two hard counters. Using this knowledge, I created a Spikestacking team that took advantage of Chandy’s wallbreaking capabilities and offensive prowess, clearing the way for my Sharpedo to sweep. Without further ado, I present to you...

INFERNO​

[​IMG]

Team Overview

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Teambuilding Process

[​IMG]
    When I began to create this team, I wanted to base it on a something that I thought had a lot of potential, but I had never actually seen used on any team before: Specs Chandelure. Just to get a sense of its sheer might, this thing 1HKO's Deoxys D, the epitome of bulk, a trait which almost no other poke in the entire game can boast. With Deoxys running around everywhere, it gets plenty of opportunities to switch in and demolish whatever may lie in its destructive path. There are literally only two pokes in the game that can switch in safely on this guy, Porygon2 and Snorlax. Everything else is cleanly 1 or 2HKO’d by the appropriate move.​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I now needed a poke that could repeatedly switch into both Snorlax and Porygon2, because these pokes wall the hell out of Chandy. Since fighting types were clearly the way to go, I chose the one that could easily take hits from both of these walls as well as put extreme offensive pressure on the opponent, Swords Dance Cobalion. Also, any dark type attack aimed at Chandy is swiftly absorbed by Cobalion, who gets a free +1. Chandelure returns the favor, gaining a boost from any fire attack aimed at Cobalion. These two work together seamlessly, and when used in conjunction as wallbreakers were able to take out almost every wall in UU.​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Because of all the holes that Chandelure and Cobalion opened up, I needed a fast sweeper, one who could take advantage of severely weakened walls. I also needed a pokemon which could easily take on the many offensive teams that were infesting the meta. I chose Sharpedo, because after the opponent’s walls have been weakened, almost nothing can stop this monster, and after a few boosts it outspeeds all other offensive pokemon. It tears apart teams once its few checks have been dealt with, and is almost always the poke that finishes games for me.​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After sitting back and analyzing the team so far, I realized that I was extremely susceptible to Scarf Flygon, and I also needed something to threaten the numerous bulky waters in the tier. I also knew I needed a scarfer, a reliable revenge killer, and something to keep the offensive momentum high. On a complete whim, I decided to test Scarf Raikou in this spot, and I never looked back. It fit my team like a glove, primarily because of its ability to outspeed every other scarfer in the tier and KO most of them. It also guaranteed that Flygon would never be a problem for my team, netting a surprise KO on any sane person who expects Lefties or Specs. Its power is quite underwhelming, but its job is mainly just to Volt Switch or Thunderbolt on a revenge kill to keep the pressure up on the opponent, and act as my Flygon killer.​
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Since many of these pokes were not able to net critical KO’s without a bit of prior damage, I knew I needed hazard support. Because of the prevalence of Deoxys-D and Roserade, I decided to go with a great spiker who could counter these two, Froslass. This thing all but guarantees either 2 layers of Spikes, or one layer and a KO. The efficiency at which this thing sets up gives the opponent almost no breathing room right from the start, and gives me the power to make a lot more predictions as the opponent struggles to deal with my hazards.​
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Lastly, I knew I needed a poke to lay down Stealth Rock, the most important move in the game, as well as tank a few hits from currently problematic pokes. I chose Bronzong because it was a great switch in to many of the pokemon that gave me problems, and could switch in to the majority of the tier and take a few hits. Zong saved my ass quite a lot, especially against glass cannons like Hitmonlee, Yanmega, and opposing Sharpedo, who would run through my team otherwise. It is also my best check to Sub CM Raikou, who would run through this team early game otherwise. Now that the team is finished, lets get into the analysis.​

A Closer Look

[​IMG]

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Ice Beam
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spikes

Froslass is far and away my favorite spiker in UU right now, especially on offensive teams. I don’t think I have ever led with another pokemon, and I doubt that will ever change, because of how effortlessly Froslass forces the opponent into an extremely tough position early game. When I lead with Froslass, I will lay down a layer of Spikes or two, Taunt any lead Bronzong, Deoxys, Mew, or Swampert trying to set up on me, and then force the opponent to make a tough decision by either sacrificing a something to Destiny Bond or allowing me to set up another layer unimpeded. By forcing the opponent to make the predictions early game, and I can easily take the early advantage if they make an ill-timed attack as I drag the opposing poke down with me. The ease at which Froslass accomplishes her task as lead Spiker is unparalleled in the tier, and gets the momentum of the game in my favor nearly all of the time. The EV’s and attacks I use are pretty self-explanatory. Max Special Attack with Ice Beam to hit flying types and grass types, especially Roserade, hard. Max Speed allows me to get the jump on the majority of the tier, and because of this I will almost always be able to take something out with Destiny Bond after getting a layer or two down. Focus Sash allows me to take a hit and get down an extra layer if needed, and then threaten the opponent with Destiny Bond. One of my favorite strategies to employ on a team utilizing entry hazards is "double ghost," because the opponent will have to get by two ghost types instead of one to get off a precious spin. This also ensures that the move Foresight, which is becoming more and more prevalent, cannot sabotage your hazards, as you can simply switch to the other ghost to block the spin. This is my first part of that double ghost core.

---------------------------

[​IMG]

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake

This dude’s job is just to sit there and take a few hits from very specific threats, as well as lay the ever-important Stealth Rock. It is almost guaranteed to lay Stealth Rocks early game, and I try to get it in as early as possible to begin racking up hazard damage, which comes in handy when whittling down the health of walls, trying to get them to Sharpedo's KO range. Without Stealth Rock, my team would be hard pressed to handle threats like LO Zapdos and Sub Chandelure, both of which give this team a lot of trouble. This poke is also my best check to any Raikou that decides to boost up early game, as after a few boosts nothing on my team is able to take a Thunderbolt. It is also a great switch in to Krookodile, Weavile, and Stoutland, three of the biggest threats to my team, and deal massive damage with Gyro Ball. Its other primary job is to Toxic Swampert and other bulky waters to make sure these things don’t stick around for long and ruin the fun for Sharpedo or Raikou. The EVs are standard, and come straight from the on-site analysis. The attack EVs definitely come in handy at times, breaking non-defensive Shaymin subs and dealing massive damage to almost every fast, frail sweeper in the tier. The HP and defense EVs make it the optimal mixed wall, while a Sassy nature is used in conjunction with 0 speed IVs to make Gyro Ball as powerful as possible. Earthquake is used to damage any fire types that might want to switch in, and is especially necessary against Chandelure, which I attack immediately to make sure it doesn’t set up a sub, even if it means Zong dies in the process. Stealth Rock is Zong’s main draw, and once they are up, its main job has been accomplished.

[​IMG]

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball

POWER. This is the word that comes to my mind when Specs Chandelure is mentioned. Other than Porygon2 and Snorlax, there is not a single poke in the tier which avoids the 1 or 2HKO from this guy, and after hazards, almost nothing can take even a single hit. This is absolutely one of the most threatening pokes in the game right now, because of the sheer amount of things that it can destroy if it is allowed to switch in for free. This thing comes in very early game, tearing gaping holes in the opponent’s defenses. Unless you have a Snorlax or Porygon2, something WILL die. This is crucial to my team’s success; it almost always forces my opponent to sacrifice a pokemon every time he wants to revenge kill this thing. Sadly, non-Scarf Choice-locked Chandy is one of the easiest pokemon on the planet to revenge. With the multitude of dark types and pursuit users in the tier prey on the chandelier, and it is basically outsped by every offensive poke in UU. But it gets its job done, which is to pressure the opponent into the tough situation of sacrificing at least one pokemon a game to deal with this threat, and in conjunction with hazards, it wears down the opponents team and helps put many pokes in Sharpedo and Raikou KO range. I chose a Modest Nature over Timid for MOAR POWER, and the fact that it’s not really outspeeding anything by using Timid. I use both Overheat and Fire Blast, which might be questionable to some people, but I’ll explain. Overheat allows me to 1HKO any Top who might have Foresighted on the switch, as well as 1HKO Zapdos, Togekiss, and Gligar, which are all huge threats to this team. Fire Blast is the STAB move of choice, dealing massive damage and after hazards 2HKOing all but the bulkiest waters in the tier without the special attack drop. Shadow Ball is the move you want to use if the opponent has an Arcanine or Chandelure of his own which might absorb and gain a boost from your fire attack. The last move, Energy Ball, is used against bulky waters and Rhyperior. Most of these are 1HKO’d after a little prior damage. This move is especially helpful against Blastoise, who is the only spinner who has a chance against this thing. Chandy’s ability, Flash Fire, is extremely helpful on a team chock full of fire weaknesses. If it manages to get a boost and hazards are up, not even Snorlax stands a chance against this guy. The one change I am seriously considering is switching out Overheat with HP Fighting to do more damage to Normal and Dark types that currently wall me…..on the other hand I do love 1HKOing Slowbro with a fire move :P.

[​IMG]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance

This is probably the most underwhelming poke on the team, but an important one nonetheless. It allows me to switch directly into the two pokemon which give Chandelure the most trouble, Porygon2 and Snorlax, and boost up against both of them. Sadly, this thing's lack of immediate power is what really hinders its potential, as well as the defense drops from Close Combat, which allow even Snorlax to tank a hit from this guy and kill after a Curse boost or two. Therefore, I try to get this thing in as soon as I see Snorlax come in, because I cannot afford to let it set up on me. This pokemon is also the greatest Bisharp counter in the tier, a pokemon which can cause quite a few problems if it nabs a free sub or Swords Dance. I am seriously considering using HP Ice over Iron Head, because Gligar is one of the biggest threats to this team currently, and it would definitely help patch up that weakness. Cobalion is also a great switch in to Roserade, and can boost up in her face as she just sits there spiking. Also, any dark type attacks aimed at Chandelure actually help this guy by giving him a free attack boost. Nevertheless, this is probably the most replaceable poke on the team, so if anyone has an idea of something that would fill this role better or improve it, I'm open to suggestions.

[​IMG]

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    - Thunderbolt
    - Extrasensory
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Volt Switch

Ahh, Scarf Raikou, my pride and joy. I have had more battles than I can count where I am left with Chandelure, Cobalion, and Raikou, and my opponent has a Scarf Flygon. As he haughtily types in gg. I proceed to sacrifice Chandelure and Cobalion, type gg and piss the fuck out of my opponent when he discovers that my Raikou outspeeds and kills. This thing is the ultimate troll, and it feeds off of people who have become complacent and accustomed to the standard Sub CM or Specs Raikou. I constantly get kills on annoying Crobat who try and get some extra damage on me with U-Turn, and most Scarfers such as Hera will stay in believing they outspeed me. Because these are such huge threats to Sharpedo, this thing is the final piece in clearing the way for a Sharpedo sweep. In the endgame this poke isn’t too shabby itself, and if all ground types and electric types have been eliminated, the opponent will have a hard time stopping this beast. Thunderbolt is the most powerful STAB move on this poke, able to deal heavy damage to fast and frail pokemon. Volt Switch allows me to take full advantage of my entry hazards and get the switch advantage, keeping momentum on my side. Hidden Power Ice is there to smack Gligar and of course, Flygon, and Extrasensory hits Roserade and has a decent flinch rate, which has come in handy. I am thinking of replacing this with Aura Sphere to hit Snorlax, but it fails to do significant damage even with a super effective move. Raikou is definitely my favorite pokemon on the team, but people are starting to catch on to him and he has become much less effective as of late.

[​IMG]

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Earthquake

Standard Sharpedo set. This thing is one of the best sweepers in the endgame, and with hazard support is next to unstoppable. Once checks have had their HP whittled down by hazards and have weathered the onslaught from the rest of my team, Sharpedo comes in to finish the job. With Speed Boost, Sharpedo is able to wreck offensive teams that rely on outspeeding other pokes to win the game. Raikou forms a great partnership with this guy, with both taking advantage of hazards and each opening the way for the other to sweep. The EV’s and attacks are quite standard. Waterfall nails the Ground, Fire, and Rock types in the tier. Crunch destroys the numerous Psychics, Ghosts and Grasses, and Earthquake kills Empoleon and Raikou. Protect is there to ensure that Sharpedo is able to nab a boost and outspeed the opposing pokemon before going on its rampage.​

Thanks for reading my RMT. If you have any suggestions for how my team could improve, please leave me some responses, I'm definitely willing to test anything out. Oh, and it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside if you luvdisc'd this, it would honestly mean a lot. Heres an importable in case anyone wants to try this team out. Just remember to change Bronzong to 0 speed IVs and Raikou to 30 Attack and 30 Defense IVs. Hope at least some of you give it a try, and have fun with it!

Importable

Show Hide
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Ice Beam
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spikes

Cobalion @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    - Thunderbolt
    - Extrasensory
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Volt Switch

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Specs
    - Overheat
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
  2. Yeah Galo Sengan

Yeah Galo Sengan

double ghost core is excellent. really, really nice team
  3. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

This team is really awesome, I have seen you battling some times on the ladder and it works incredibly. And Scarf Raikou is a really nasty surprise for a lot of opponents!!

There are not many things I can suggest, but I would use a Timid Nature on Chandelure. I know you don't outspeed anything, but at least you would be able to tie with another chandelure. I won't use Hp Fighting since it sucks to be locked on such a move so w/e

P.S: Luvdisc!
  4. PowerSpartanl99

PowerSpartanl99

Wow great team man! You have major Pokémon skills :)
  5. kokoloko

kokoloko yes, this is dog.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

I like this. It looks so fun to use.

Nitpicks:

1. Move those 4 HP EVs on Sharpedo, Chandelure and Froslass to SpD. It might seem insignificant at first, but it does prevent Download Porygon2 from getting a Special Attack boost if it comes into them, and might reduce residual damage (uneven numbers in HP usually do).

2. Flamethrower over Fire Blast on Chandelure, its more reliable and you already have Overheat for power.

3. Hidden Power Fighting over Energy Ball on Chandelure - I'm sure Shadow Ball already 2HKOs everything Energy Ball hits, while Hidden Power Fighting lets you do some damage to Snorlax / Porygon2.

4. Lum Berry over Leftovers on Cobalion - getting paralyzed by Snorlax Body Slams and Porygon2 Thunder Waves / Discharges must really suck, and since Cobalion is already so resilient to residual damage, I would just go with Lum here.

I would definitely take a more serious look into Aura Sphere Raikou as well.

Great team man. Luvdisc'd.
  6. Kutan

Kutan

This team seems pretty solid, but i'm guessing you play around a particular style, because i've noticed that the late game this team kind of starts to lose steam. Early game however, especially if you play right, this team can wreck even in the hands of more inexperienced battlers.

I would definitely second kokoloko's suggestions. The Lum Berry on Cobalion allowed me to switch in on Milotic, Swords Dance on a recover, then cure a would be burn and sweep the opponents entire team. Aura Sphere on Raikou also gives him a little more to work with, so I would definitely recommend this too, just change it's nature to Rash. HP Fighting on Chandellure could be worth investigating, but it would need some testing to see if the 1 less Speed IV is really more of a hindrance than a help.

But this is a surprisingly good team, especially given that people will often swear that Rapid Spin support is the only way to get to the top of the leader board. Luvdisc'd.
  7. Psychotic

is a Tiering Contributor

Ya, I have actually noticed this as a problem in the past, and never really thought about the fact that I was actually able to change this.

idk about this change, I love how easily I can spam FB and do massive damage to any bulky waters wanting to switch in. I will test it out though.

Ya, HP Fighting actually does a surprising amount to these two, given their incredible bulk. I think I like it more than EBall now, but I can no longer 1HKO Rhyperior or Swampert, 2 HUGE threats to the team.

Paralyzation is pretty annoying, you're right, but I like this idea more because it allows me to take out Sableye, one pretty big threat if it manages to stick around. It also prevents bulky waters like Empoleon from getting the Scald burn, and if I have to, switch directly into them.

I like the fact that Aura Sphere is able to deal with Krook, who is a threat to my team lategame because it outspeeds Sharpedo after a boost. I will test it and see how it works.

You are definitely right there. This team has a huge problem with stall teams, and often starts falling apart at the end of games because of this. It forces me to take WAAY to many gambles. Luckily, this style of play is extremely hard to pull off, so you don't see it very often.

Thanks for the rates!
  8. IbanezObsession

IbanezObsession

A brilliant team, man. I really can't think of anything better for the team, considering you did get it to #1, so congratulations on your peak! :)
  9. jagged_angel

jagged_angel

Brilliant team - I have enjoyed playing with it so much, and have managed to get a rating of 1503 with it, which I've never come close to with a self-made team.

I've tried various tweaks but the only one that has stuck was to switch Extrasensory for Aura Sphere on Raikou, as it hits Cacturne, Stoutland, Steels and Rhyperior for good damage and I seem to be facing a lot of sand teams so it's hard to find good opportunities to spam Volt Switch.

Well done on a super team.
  10. pmthepokeman

pmthepokeman

this team is awesome! I tried this team out but had just a few changes that you may find helpful.
    Use Sub Chandelure over Specs..This team is a little weak to scarf nidoking so i tried this out. Try it out, it works!

Show Hide
    Chandelure (M) @ Air Balloon
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind

Next, I changed Raikou to timid scarf. I know it weakens its power a lot, but it is very useful versus jolly scarf flygon and stoutland. I Luvdisc'd!
  11. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

Maybe Aura Sphere over Extrasensory?
    really nice team, man, Lucdisc'd!
  12. shrang

shrang Reaction to Ubers ladder
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mm, I don't play UU, but just by having a look at your team, you seem really Ground-weak. Yes, you have Bronzong, but as a trade-off, you have 3 Pokemon weak to Ground and the other two are quite frail. If Bronzong goes down, something like Scarf Flygon will look like it can cause some serious problems.
  13. Psychotic

is a Tiering Contributor

This is probably the main reason I stopped using the team a while ago, because before people knew about scarfed Raikou, I can't remember a time when they switched their Flygon out. But the surprise factor is gone by now, so the team doesn't function nearly as well.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)