1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Infraction System Reform

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Misty, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

LordS and I were discussing the infraction system, and I kind of came to the conclusion that the "General Misconduct" (aka stupidity) infraction is a bit outmoded. The design hails from a day when our rules weren't very comprehensive, and there was a lot of moderator discretion about unacceptable behavior. With the very careful revision of the rules, they have taken on a more precise nature that would indicate a revision to the system that enforces them.

My reasoning here is that there are two sides to an infraction - one side is to send a message to a user that their behavior is unacceptable; but the other side is to alert fellow moderators who have to deal with repeat offenders. If someone has a "General Misconduct" infraction, it's kind of hard to tell what the exact offense was. Granted, this could be handled by visiting the post that was infracted, but that model could be improved for efficiency. Further, I think it helps if the infractions carry the general message rather than having to rely on "boilerplates", which don't really address my first issue and require some extra work.

This is my preliminary list of infractions, based on the rules topic:

- Junior Modding
    - Advertising
    - Trolling
    - Incomprehensible Post
    - Thread Necromancy
    - Insulted Other Members
    - Illegal Material (ROMs, Pirated Software, etc.)
    - Insubordination (this applies to the "don't edit back if a mod edited it" rule, but is probably also useful for people who give retarded replies to infractions)
    - Signature Violation
    - Forum Specific Rule (this is a blanket infraction for people who violate specific forum rules like the RMT board stuff)
    - Lurk More (the "general stupidity" rule)
    - Repeated Infraction (a stronger infraction for people who consistently do the same things over and over again)

The advantages of this method, in addition to being more verbose to an observing mod, include more ability to customize the strength of these infractions, which we can discuss once we put together a list.

Also: On that note, I would also like to suggest the possibility of opening up custom infractions to super moderators, within certain limits (i.e. limits to how many points may be given and how long the infraction can stand for), which I think our Super Moderator staff is trustworthy enough to follow.
  2. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, as I said on IRC yesterday, I'm in support of this sort of reform.
  3. cloud

cloud groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnus

4. Hazerider

Hazerider

yeah alright
  5. Roy

Roy sux
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

yeah thats cool
  6. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Seems like this'll be a good change

also i am all for hazerider with custom infractions this can only end well
  7. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

im fine with it

we will talk about custom infractions though
  8. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Jason and I already discussed it, and he pointed out to me that this newer method kind of makes custom infractions unneeded lol
  9. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

10. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

one question

Doesn't this apply to the infraction-immune Firebot only? (I never find myself editing other posts)

Otherwise (y) idea
  11. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

read
    good to know that my e-life is a bit easier now
  12. Misty

Misty oh

it's in general rules so it's not "firebot-only", even if it isn't usually applicable outside of there
  13. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

that's a good idea
  14. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'm okay with this
  15. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

sounds good
  16. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i read like 98% of this thread
  17. Hazerider

Hazerider

was that the original post

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)