Metagame Inheritance

Here's a set that's probably not viable but is quite fun.

Chimecho (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Recover
- Calm Mind/Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
In case it's not clear, this is Bronzong inheriting from Chimecho, not the other way around.

It's pretty clear what this does: max out defenses with Cosmic Power, then Stored Power everything to death. The reason I'm using Bronzong is because Toxic is annoying with this set and I appreciate the immunity, but something like Cress or even Uxie can pull this set off by either dodging around Toxic or replacing either Recover or CM/Dazzling Gleam with Rest.

Calm Mind is used to break through Steel-types and Psychic types, which resist stored power, while Dazzling Gleam lets it hit Darks but still leaves it rather hopeless against Steels.
Cosmic power/stored power is an awful set and you really shouldn't use it, but if you do, inherit from Sigilyph to gain Magic Guard.

Cosmic power/stored power is an awful set and you really shouldn't use it, but if you do, inherit from Sigilyph to gain Magic Guard.
uh, dude, I literally said at the top it wasn't viable.
also, I was using bronzong that time, in which case levitate is better than magic guard.

If we're on the subject of Rocks leads, here's one.

Mamoswine (Weavile) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Icicle Spear
- Endeavor

The original motive was to find something with Stealth Rock that could properly counter-lead Dodrio on offense, and I figured that Icicle Spear was the most reliable way to do that. Lo and behold, Mamoswine has a fantastic ability and movepool for this task. Knock Off and Endeavor are strong and disruptive moves (I'd love to see a Ghost-type come in to block Endeavor), while Oblivious to stop faster Taunt users (such as Aerodactyl) from messing with you. Ice Shard is an option to pick off foes that eat a 1HP Endeavor while setting up on you, though if that's your concern, Donphan is probably a better donor so you can run something like Red Card or whatever, but then you can't break sashes on Turn 1.

I'm not sure (the Inheritance code isn't mine) but I don't think it's banned. What's the set you were trying to validate?
Sorry I figured it out, just didn't understand the rules of the OM and thought mons were able to utilize their original movesets as well as another mons. Thanks though!

Heyo, two sets that I found interesting and fun to use.

Ditto (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 SpA
Brave Nature
- Transform

This bugger is a absolute nightmare if played right. While anything physical screws it over, it can tank a powerful special hit and transform, gaining stat boosts and useful movepools. I don't have the replay or stats, but I've seen this thing take a fully boosted fire blast from a shell smash Heatran, hit transform, and sweep the rest of the team. Force to be reckoned with. However, it depends on it's transform target to be stat boosted or have stat boosting moves if it wants to be a offensive threat, and is also easily outspeed without stat boosts.

Chimecho (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover
- Cosmic Power
- Psychic

I always appreciated Chimecho and Chingling for their amazing defensive movepools despite crummy stats. This set takes full advantage of the bell Pokemon. With OK coverage, good ability that covers it from one weakness for at least the first turn, and recover+cosmic power, this is a great and highly adaptable set. M-Diancie still has many weaknesses, however, which physical attackers can use to their advantage.

Brave Nature
- Transform

This bugger is a absolute nightmare if played right. While anything physical screws it over, it can tank a powerful special hit and transform, gaining stat boosts and useful movepools. I don't have the replay or stats, but I've seen this thing take a fully boosted fire blast from a shell smash Heatran, hit transform, and sweep the rest of the team. Force to be reckoned with. However, it depends on it's transform target to be stat boosted or have stat boosting moves if it wants to be a offensive threat, and is also easily outspeed without stat boosts.

Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover
- Cosmic Power
- Psychic

I always appreciated Chimecho and Chingling for their amazing defensive movepools despite crummy stats. This set takes full advantage of the bell Pokemon. With OK coverage, good ability that covers it from one weakness for at least the first turn, and recover+cosmic power, this is a great and highly adaptable set. M-Diancie still has many weaknesses, however, which physical attackers can use to their advantage.
Use Starmie (edit: no use Sigilyph. Forgot to check for other recovery moves) over Chimecho due to better movepool (ability doesn't really matter. You'll just mega right away) as it gets the same moves in your set, but more.

Also, don't you want to inherent from Mew for Transform shenanigans?

Last edited:

Brave Nature
- Transform

Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover
- Cosmic Power
- Psychic

A. Why use Chansey for transform troll? I'm pretty sure eviolite would be removed post-transform so is it worth it over blissey?
B. Why use a support diance? It has way too many weaknesses to be useful. Just a donphan set with head smash, play rough and any other 2 moves from donphan's neverending movepool, and rocks if you want.

Use Starmie over Chimecho due to better movepool (ability doesn't really matter. You'll just mega right away) as it gets the same moves in your set, but more.

Also, don't you want to inherent from Mew for Transform shenanigans?
Even better is sigilyph, with magic guard to stop even status from ruining the fun, as well as insane coverage(why does he learn ice beam and energy ball?) and 2 other nifty abilities if you want.

Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover
- Cosmic Power
- Psychic
After two Cosmic Powers (I don't know how many you were going for) Stored Power starts outdamaging Psychic. (Works with that Sigilyph option too, using Roost, or there's even Soft-Boiled Clefable, if you prefer Unaware to stop opponents boosting past your Cosmic Powers.)

Hawlucha (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Potential? You take hawlucha, a top tier threat with a great ability and movepool, and you give him decent stats. Possibly change the seed for other terrains, but idea stays the same; switch into terrain, use your 854 atk and 462 spd to kill everyone. More speed might be necessary for some threats. Also he gets stab from acrobatics but I didn't notice until after I wrote this.

A. Why use Chansey for transform troll? I'm pretty sure eviolite would be removed post-transform so is it worth it over blissey?
The Eviolite boost stays, just like what imposter Chansey is in BH. The difference now here is you have to rely on using transform rather than using Imposter (since it's banned), so it is less efficient and doesn't let you check sweepers that well.

Hawlucha (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Potential? You take hawlucha, a top tier threat with a great ability and movepool, and you give him decent stats. Possibly change the seed for other terrains, but idea stays the same; switch into terrain, use your 854 atk and 462 spd to kill everyone. More speed might be necessary for some threats. Also he gets stab from acrobatics but I didn't notice until after I wrote this.
Try inheriting from Sceptile for your Unburden shenanigans instead. Your coverage may not be the best, though acess to both Earthquake and Acrobatics (both STABs) make up for it.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 108 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

SubCoil Zygarde, but with Lando's 145 Attack instead of Zygarde's 100. It works pretty effectively and saves you from wasting a moveslot on Stone Edge, since T-Arrows hits flying types too. Lando also gets priority in Extreme Speed now, so after a couple of Coils the low speed isn't a worry anymore.

Seeing as USUM is out I've been wanting to make a post here. Obviously new UBs are a thing and there are a lot of minor changes, but what I'm most excited for in this meta is the addition of Lycanroc Dusk.

Seeing as this gen we've been unable to inherit from Mega Evolutions, Tough Claws has become a fairly rare ability as the only donor was Barbaracle. Now that Lycanroc Dusk has arrived, let's see what else is on the table.

Accelerock, Thrash, Crunch, Brick Break, Fire Fang, Sucker Punch, Thunder Fang, Return, Drill Run, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Last Resort, Outrage, Stomping Tantrum, and Zen Headbutt are all notably boosted by Tough Claws.
On top of this Lycanroc also has access to Stealth Rock, Taunt, Bulk Up, Swords Dance, Rock Polish and Z-Happy Hour.

In particular I'd like to point out that Dycanroc's Sucker Punch is among some of the most powerful priority available:
252+ Atk Choice Band Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 216-255 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 208-246 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I feel cheesy saying it but I actually reckon that Tough Claws boosted Sucker Punch + Stomping Tantrum would actually make for a super neat revenge killer. If I'm not mistaken, the combo effectively forces the opposition to either die to Sucker Punch or switch/use a status move, which in both scenarios should force Sucker Punch to fail, meaning that the opponent then has to be prepared to take a 150 bp Stomping Tantrum boosted by tough claws. Even without the doubled power, Tough Claws means that Stomping Tantrum is only fractionally weaker than a standard Earthquake, so I reckon it's a pretty viable trade off. Krookodile is the obvious abuser, but I feel that other strong Ground and or Dark types such as Bisharp, Garchomp and Excadrill could also make great use of the combo, while also getting STAB Iron Head or Outrage respectively.

What does everyone else think about Lycanroc Dusk and other new additions?

EDIT: Also I noticed that there is a reserved spot for a VR. Personally I don't really recall enough about the meta this gen to help out a bunch with that, but if anyone else has put any work or thought into that it could also make for some valuable discussion.