1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Interesting NU Team RMT

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Pdizzle, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Pdizzle

Pdizzle

Hi, this is my first rmt. i'm not new to pokemon team building, but for this rmt, i would like to show my first ever team that i built. i worked hard on it and i know it has some flaws, but i just want to hear other people's opinions. thank you

Ampharos (F) @ Air Balloon
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Static
    EVS: 4 Spe/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Hp, IVS: 31 all except 29 Atk
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Toxic, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Hidden Power Grass

She is my lead. With max hp, she is relatively bulky and survive most hits from top nu threats. however, with max special attack, she becomes a powerhouse. i have her on the team to deal with bulky alomomola. her volt switch is a ohko move against it and can get me initiative. also she is a good lead because she can volt switch out and still get me initiative. hp grass is there to deal with ground type who aren't affected by electric moves. i chose hp grass instead because for amoongus or other dragon types pokemon, i have other pokemons to care of them. hp grass allows me to one shot the water ground types or bring carracosta to sturdy.

Cinccino (M) @ Choice Scarf
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Skill Link
    EVS: 4 SDef/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd, IVS 31 all
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves: Rock Blast, Tail Slap, U-turn, Bullet Seed

Cinccino is my main revenge killer and weather killer. when given a choice scarf, he almost guaranteed the fastest pokemon in the battle. he is still faster than gorebyss after shell smash, and ludicolo in rain. he also defeats other choice scarf users. the great thing about using cinccino with a choice scarf is that nobody will expect him to have one. for example a one on one with a rotom (doesn't matter which one) scarfed, the opponnent will expect me to switch and go for volt switch or try to kill me off with thunderbolt, anyways, the point is that they think they have the upper hand. however, cincinno can hit back with rock blast and kill their choice scarf.

Mightyena (M) @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVS: 4 Atk/ 252 Hp/ 252 Def, IVS 31 all
    Nature: Impish
    Moves: Sucker Punch, Toxic, Counter, Crunch

mightyena is my favorite pokemon in the whole game. i love his design and everything about him. i find it sad that he doesn't have the best of stats, but with intimidate, he can become a strong physical wall. he isn't the best and can be replaced but i like him and think i found a unique and viable set for him. with max hp, max def and intimidate, i can take hits from almost any physical attacker. plus, with counter, i can double back the damage received right back at you. i love when i am faced against a gurdur who thinks he can kill me off with a drain punch, but then only takes away about 50% of my life and i kill them with counter. in addition, mightyena works well with the team as he can take out ghost mons. his sucker punch is a ohko against haunter. he also can do about half to a golurk with crunch. toxic is there to cripple with switches or when mightyena is up against a tank.

Masquerain (M) @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVS: 4 Spd/ 252 Hp/ 252 Def, IVS 31 all
    Nature: Bold
    Moves: Baton Pass, Quiver Dance, Roost, Air Slash

Masquerain works very well with my team. even though he has 4x weakness to stealth rocks, he can still do work. what makes him great is 4x resistance to fighting and grass and his ability intimidate. my team has an obvious weakness to fighting, however, masquerain is there to cover for my team. also, just like mightyena, he can take physical hits relatively after the intimidate. again with the gurdurr reference, but gurdurr's ice punch ends up only doing about 25%.
    the whole purpose of this masquerain set is to quiver dance than baton pass to musharna. i chose air slash instead of bug buzz, as it far better usage and helps in taking out fighting types.

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Synchronise
    EVS: 4 SDef/ 252 Hp/ 252 Def, IVS: 31 all
    Nature: Bold
    Moves: Stored Power, Moonlight, Signal Beam, Calm Mind

He is the official tank of my team and one of my main sweepers too. after 2 quiver dances, he destroys any team. he can act as a physical wall or even a special wall after a calm mind. he is probably one of the best pokemons i have ever used in nu. if u haven't tried him out, i recommend u use him in your next team builder. i'd advise not to use this set unless your team strategy is similar to mine as he has good support moves like heal bell, reflect or light screen.

Zangoose (M) @ Toxic Orb
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Toxic Boost
    EVS: 4 SDef/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd, IVS 31 all
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves: Close Combat, Facade, Feint, Protect

Without zangoose, this team will be a complete disaster, my only reliable way to get a sweep would be to get one with musharna after a few quiver dances or calm minds. but nevertheless, i have the beast zangoose on my team. once the pokemon that are slower than zangoose or ghost pokemon are taken care of, zangoose is set to destroy. a toxic boost facade can pretty much destroy anything in the tier. the only real threat is alomomola. max hp, def alomomola gets hurt by like 50% but then again i have ampharos who can switch in and force him out with volt switch. zangoose gets the most kills for me during a pokemon battle. i choose not to use night slash for the reason if i face a pokemon a priority moves and they are at a low amount of hp, or if i face swellow, who has terrible defense, i can hurt them with feint. feint is +2 priority and can even break through protect.

so there is is my team. i hope u enjoyed reading. please leave any comments telling me what you think and any counters you find on this team or suggestions u would make. trust me i know plenty.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood walking in a straight line, that's not really her style
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Other Metas Leader

Hey there, interesting team you've got there.
    I have a few suggestions that can really help out your team. Feel free to follow my suggestions or ignore them; it's your team, so it's entirely up to you.

One of the major issues I see with your team is simply that it is pretty easy to play around. With a solid enough defensive core, I feel like your team would be pretty easy to stall down to the point where a powerful and fast enough threat can finish you off. One of the ways to fix this is to run a better defensive core. You don't have anything to take special hits well unless you get some SpD boosts on your Musharna. One way to handle this issue is by using Regice>Ampharos. Even with no SpD investment, Regice can still take Special hits for days. It will also help against the ever common Hail teams running around in NU these days, as Regice can take a Blizzard, unlike Ampharos. A set of Rest, Sleep Talk, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt with max HP and max SpA can take special hits really well while also dishing out hits well.

Feint on Zangoose doesn't really do much for you outside of hitting through Protect. This isn't really going to help much since Feint is only a 30BP move. I would recommend running Shadow Claw>Feint a) because it adds coverage for ghosts which you otherwise cannot touch, and b) because Feint just isn't powerful enough imo to run. If you still want priority, you can always run Quick Attack in favor of Protect.

Also, if you're looking to outspeed common scarfer/Swift Swim Ludicolo/Shell Smash Gorebyss with your Cinccino, you don't really need to run max Speed EVs. Max Speed Cinccino with a scarf reaches 493 Speed while +2 Gorebyss reaches 446 with a Timid nature and 406 with a Modest nature. x2 Speed Ludicolo still outspeeds you with a Timid nature (which it basically never runs), and it reaches 478 speed with a Modest nature. That said, if you want to keep its Scarf, you can move 56 EVs from Speed into HP or just run Jolly Band (which is a superior option IMO since Cinccino needs all the extra power it can get).

Masquerain is a decent idea and can be really nice if you pass the boosts to Musharna. However, since your opponent is more than likely going to run Stealth Rock, that will probably be his first priority, especially since you don't run a spinner. Without getting up a Quiver Dance, your Masquerain is easily killed on the special side at 50%. Rock moves will instantly kill your Masquerain even with max HP and defense. I would personally get rid of it and replace Masquerain with a hazard setter. This could be especially beneficial since you don't have any hazards of your own, and without Masquerain, nothing on your team will be weak to Stealth Rock. I would recommend something like Armaldo who can also spin hazards and hit hard or Lairon who can also hit hard with Head Smash or phase with Roar since opposing set-up sweepers can cause massive issues to your team.

Defensive Mightyena isn't a horrible Pokemon by any means. If you are going to run him though, I'd recommend running Super Fang>Counter. This way, you are guaranteed to hit your opponent for half its health, whereas Counter may get one surprise kill or some respectable damage. This relies heavily on predicting well and being able to take a hit with ease. While Mightyena can take hits respectably well, something like Sawk will still hit for ~75% with Close Combat at -1. So you can still run it, but I would probably recommend switching it as well. That is entirely up to you though. If you were willing to switch it, Eviolite Tangela and Amoonguss could be really good exchanges for Mightyena.

These are just some thoughts for you to consider. You have an interesting team, but it could definitely use some improvements as well. If you have any questions or need any further help, feel free to drop me a message. :)
  3. Raseri

Raseri musharna fan
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Leader

Hey Pdizzle, you have a good foundation for a team here, but it needs quite a bit of work before it will be really effective.

The biggest chance this team needs is to get rid of Mightyena, it really adds nothing to your team. I would highly recommend running a hazard setter in place of it. I believe that Regirock would fit very well into that slot.

[​IMG] @ leftovers
    Adamant nature
    252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Stone Edge
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Drain Punch
    ~ Stealth Rock

This will allow you to keep any defensive presence that Mightyena had, but multiply it by 1000. It also provides Stealth Rock, which is an important part of any competitive team.

Now there are also a lot of smaller changes that can benefit your team. All of your other Pokemon are viable and functioning, but they could still use a bit of work.

Musharna really wants Psychic > Stored Power. Psychic allows her to be dangerous right off the bat, right now she needs to boost many times to be good,and if you've acquired enough boosts to make Stored Power good, psychic will sweep as well.

Zangoose really wants Quick Attack and Night Slash > Feint and Protect. Feint is just really bad, even if they do protect its weak, Night Slash at least lets you hit Ghost-types like Misdreavus or Drifblim. While Protect can be useful, its often easier to just revenge something with Zangoose or force it out. Quick Attack gives you great priority, and allows you to beat fast threats like Kadabra.

There are a lot of other small changes that might benefit your team, but they aren't needed for the team to function. Consider Leftovers on Ampharos, and Bug Buzz on Masquerain.

Hopefully these changes help your team work better!

tl;dr (open)
    Regirock > Mightyena
    Quick attack and Night Slash > Protect and Feint
    Psychic > Stored Power
  4. bobbyvaporeon

bobbyvaporeon

Mightyena sucks, really. There is much better options for walls, such as regirock. If you insist on using a dark type, then liepard is really annoying to face with prankster.
    Also, there is nothing currently on this team that resists stealth rock. A spinner Wight be nice,sch as hormonal, which could also add some offensive presence. You don't see masquerain much anymore (well, you never did in the first place) but if you can get a few quiver dances to musharna, you've got the game unless a crit happens. However, that is why I suggest a spinner so that you can get rid of said stealth rocks, as those will hurt masquerains chances of setting up.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)