International Challenge May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next online competition for Sun and Moon has been announced: International Challenge May 2017!

Little surprised they did another International Challenge, considering we had last month, but here:
Also the only way to obtain Tyrantarite, Manecitite, and Abomasite, so definitely worth entering!

Sign-Up Period
Wednesday, May 17, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, May 25, 2017, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, May 26, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, May 28, 2017, at 23:59 UTC

Participation Gift
Qualified participants in the 2017 International Challenge May Online Competition will receive Tyranitarite, Abomasite, and Manectite Mega Stones. Additionally, participants will be eligible to earn Championship Points. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2002 or later
Masters Division: Born 2001 or earlier
• Junior/Senior Division players are limited to playing between 6 A.M. and 11 P.M., based on the easternmost time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
June 2017 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Eligible Pokémon are restricted to those that were caught, traded, hatched from Eggs, or received as a Mystery Gift in Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon. Each Pokémon must have a black clover symbol on its Summary page. Players may use only Pokémon from the Alola Pokédex. Only the Alola form of Pokémon with regional variants can be used.
• Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna cannot be used.
• Mega Stones are not allowed.
• Items are allowed, but Trainers may not have duplicate items in their Battle Team.
• Register four to six of your Pokémon to your Battle Team.
• All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
• A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. When a player’s time limit expires, that player will lose the game.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 45 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made their selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birthdate information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and from future competitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Once more unto the breach my friends!

Well, that was quick. Hopefully, I'll be able to complete the game and soft-reset for a Tapu Fini in that time. I have this battle team idea I want to try, after doing some testing out, since it seems you need to have at least one of the Tapus to get into the 1600s (or a lot of time. Work is probably going to shoot me in the foot again).

And Tyranitarite?! How did they know that May was my birth month?!!

Once more unto the breach my friends!

Well, that was quick. Hopefully, I'll be able to complete the game and soft-reset for a Tapu Fini in that time. I have this battle team idea I want to try, after doing some testing out, since it seems you need to have at least one of the Tapus to get into the 1600s (or a lot of time. Work is probably going to shoot me in the foot again).
And Tyranitarite?! How did they know that May was my birth month?!!
Happy Birthday! I'm not sure how I feel about doing another IC, but I'll do it for the mega stones. Seriously though, when is Altarianite and Loppunite be distributed? They were my waifus from Gen 6. Screw Gamefreak for not putting Altaria and Lopunny in the Alola Dex.

Reactions: JES
Finally I'll be able to make up for my pathetic 167x in the last one for Seniors... although that was simply because I got sick and therefore had an outdated team.

I have planned two different teams, one of which will make it into the actual competition:

Mandibuzz, Tapu Fini, Arcanine, Kartana, Kommo-o, and Gengar

Or

Celesteela, Tapu Lele, Garchomp, Mandibuzz, Marowak, and Nihilego.

Registration has started, as a reminder for everyone. It's a shame I have finals next week, because I'll probably be to busy studying to play.

Calling it now...this is the winning team!!!

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Hardy Nature
- Transform

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Hardy Nature
- Transform
What do you mean winning team?

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Hardy Nature
- Transform

Why Ditto, it is not any good in VGC'17 and is not gonna help you and why no Discharge instead of Thunderbolt on Tapu Koko?

Ditto will be the ringer, just you see!! And I did put Discharge on Koko. I may put Thunderbolt back seeing as how I removed A-Marowak for Ditto.

But TBH, I simply chose Ditto because I feel like its something not a lot of people expect solely because of how low value it tends to be.

Does this mean that Kingdra, even though I can catch Horsea using the QR code method while in-game, isn't eligible?

There goes my "Rain Dance" team... :(

The competition has started for those of you who didn't know. I done my 10 battles for today, I went 7-3 or 8-2, can't remember. I'll say my last game was the most clutch ever. EDIT: I forgot you can do 15 matches. I got 10-5. Learned a lesson: Never bring Bulu against a Muk.

Last edited:
Have you ever bred your team, leveled your team, ev trained your team, register and lock your team...only to find that you forgot to give half of them the correct move set....? Guess what I did?!

1st Battle: win
Casualties: Gengster and Buzzkill

Battle 2: Loss
Two kills.
Killed by a Choice Garchomp.

Third Match: Loss
Two Kills

Fourth Match: Win
Casualty: Paper Cut and Arcanine

Fifth Battle: Loss
Crazy bastard kept his Ninetales in on my Paper Cut, when he should have switched out.

Sixth Battle: Loss
I keep forgetting that Misty Field nullifies moves like Will-o-wisp. I should have attacked with Shadow Ball on Garchomp.
One kill.

Seventh Battle: Loss
Oranganu is very effective. So is Vikavolt

Eight Battle: Win
Casualties: Arcanine

9th Battle: Hard fought victory
Casualties: Buzzkill

10th Battle: Win
Casualties: Gengster

I'm at ~1500, and doing worse than last time. The opponents are far better, and seem better prepared for this metagame than I am. I keep making mistakes, and have to concentrate hard. Even then, I get caught of guard too much.

I might actually think about reinvesting in a Trick Team, because it was moderately effective last time. I just needed my own Tapu to be able to set the field to my advantage.

I'm also questioning the effectiveness of Misty Seed. Buzzkill has died a total of 7 times.

Last edited:
10-5 for the first day of the competition, with a team featuring:
Z-Giga Impact Braviary
Scarfchomp
Togedemaru
Waterium-Z Gyarados + Arcanine
Bulky Fini
I found that team on youtube, being played by a good italian player, and I fell in love with it.

Firing off big hits and being able to play a bit on the defensive with Fini and Arcanine feels so great, but much harder to play well than the last team I used (Double Duck Rain), so I'm still learning to use that.

EDIT: Just had my best game ever. Opponent with 6x Electric Pokemons.
I start off with Braviary+Arcanine, he goes with Koko+Jolteon.
I switch Arcanine to Togedemaru and Tailwind, he goes for double TBolt. T2 he forfeits LOL

Last edited:
Sitting around 18-12...not too shabby. I was suprised by a few of my bouts. Ditto is working again all offensive teams but tricky/gimmicky teams he is lest than useful....meh. I am also sad that my Marowak is dead weight, but oh well.

I'm playing on a second version where I just want the Mega Stones. Does a match where your opponent disconnects is taking into account for the needed 3 matches to have the Mega Stones ?
It is counted as a played match but I don't receive points (when I began the third match it's said that I played 2 matches with 1518 points).

Edit : It won't show up at my PGL history. I only have the first and the third matches. I hope it'll show up soon.

Last edited:
Dunno how, but I yet again ended a tournament with a 30-15 record and a rating of around 1640, with a team in which I didn't put nearly as much thought as the previous VGC team I had bred (And in fact, it had some last-minute changes, or things I didn't realize or think through, such as HP Ice and Petal Dance Lilligant, Torkoal without Eruption or Tapu Lele and Kartana being added hours before the tournament began because I had bred two Pokemon to have an Assault Vest; also, having HP Fire on Tapu Lele when Shadow Ball would have been more useful). Really, I have no idea. And most of my losses were caused because of Lilligant suffering from an Higuaín complex and missing Sleep Powders when it absolutely shouldn't.

(That being said, I lucked out a few times with Petal Dance as it only picked the wrong target, a Protected opponent, once)

May tweak this team for another tournament, or perhaps try a Tailwind team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)