International WiFi Tournament -International Challenge- WON BY Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, well I think I'm going to go ahead and call it a day. Finished with a ranking of 1865. I really liked this tourney, except for the D/C's. Besides that, I did think this was wonderful practice for the upcoming VGC's. Now I know what I need to change up and such. :3

Ending at 1751, I'm so glad I was able to make to get up to the 1750s lol. I dont think I'm going to try for one last nattle considering the massive amount of hax that I've encountered throughout the competition. Good luck to anyone battling in the last few minutes.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I'm also now done. I missed almost all of Saturday and Sunday, and a lot of today. But I did probably play at least 120 battles really. It's been pretty fun, but the sheer amount of DC's will always ruin tournaments like this. Here's my team, anyway:

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 88 Def / 40 SpA / 80 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Substitute
- Taunt

Cresselia (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Hitmontop (M) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Works really well for me, but I think it can be pretty awkward to use at times.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As the tournament is just about over, here was the team that I ran:

Abomasnow (F) @ Focus Sash ***TabulaRasa
Trait: Snow Warning
IVs: 26/27/31/31/30/21
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Hail setter. Breeding when all six stats are relevant is kind of a pain. Its Speed is 107 due to the lower speed IV which is minimum speed I would have accepted, narrowly outrunning Cresselia and Rotom-A, and being comfortably ahead of Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Metagross which was relevant and saved me on many occasions. The moveset and function are fairly straightforward. Abomasnow does not like Rock Slides, and temperatures above 20°C.

Rotom-F @ Choice Scarf ***MagusNight
IVs: 31/05/31/30/31/29
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Trick

Scarf Blizzard Spam. Probably my MPV for the team. The metagame has a lot of Ice Weak Pokemon, and Scarfed Blizzards tear right through opponent teams. It somehow catches so many people off guard when I switch out one of my leads for Abomasnow and follow it up with a Scarfed Blizzard. Protect turned out to be a useful investment on the few times that I ever needed to use it. Scarfed Rotom does not like faster Scarfers (oh hi there Scarf Terrakion). Also does not like Hitmontops.

Garchomp (F) @ Yache Berry ***Lunar Dial
Trait: Sand Veil
IVs: 31/31/24/xx/23/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Standard Garchomp. I Have a Garchomp with 30/31/31/xx/31/31, but I can't use it because I would have to remove Outrage, and currently can't get it back. So I went with another Garchomp I had sitting around in one of my 4th Gen boxes. There isn't anything too special about it, but I felt that it really held the team together, providing a switch out from Rock Slides, and dealing with Steel-types. It's always nice to use the opponent's Sandstorm to your own advantage with Sand Veil. It was especially useful in quickly taking out lower rated opponents, since I just sat there with Garchomp and Rotom or Togekiss and ran them over with Earthquakes. Garchomp does not like being double targetted by Hidden Power Ice, or being frozen solid by Blizzards thrown around in a Sandstorm.

Togekiss (F) @ Sitrus Berry ***Bad Apple!
Trait: Serene Grace
IVs: 31/13/31/31/18/31
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 168 SDef / 4 Spd
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Follow Me

Follow Me/Tailwind Support. Togekiss provides cover for some of my Pokemon, blocking Draco Meteors and Close Combats for its partner, and helps tremendously in efforts to stall out an opponent's Tailwind or Trick Room. I had bred one that had a better SpDef IV, but I felt that the 31 speed was more important as it allowed Togekiss to outrun Base 130s after Tailwind. Both Air Slash and Tailwind were a major aid to the team, allowing the team to win in situations that I would have otherwise lost to. Togekiss does not like Gem Thunderbolts, and surprise Quick Claw Stone Edges.

Heracross (M) @ Bug Gem ***LastRemote
Trait: Guts
IVs: 26/31/28/xx/30/31
EVs: 250 HP / 56 Atk / 192 SDef / 12 Spd
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Feint
- Protect

Special Defensive Attacker. Heracross's main role is to kill Cresselia on sight. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that many Japanese players are aware of this and have some countermeasures against Heracross. Still, Gem Megahorn hurts a ton, and its Special Defensive bulk allows me to better take on Rain teams. Feint was very useful, not so much for breaking protects but simply to give Heracross a priority move, as it catches a lot of people off guard. Heracross does not like Cresselia, especially ones with Psyshock.

Heatran (M) @ Fire Gem ***Extend Ash
Trait: Flash Fire
IVs: 28/31/01/28/28/31
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 254 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Protect

Steel Type, one shot cannon. Heatran helps the team's fire weakness, handling threats like Chandelure, Volcarona, and other Heatrans. I tried using stuff like Dragon Pulse and holding a Shuca Berry, but in the end I went with my trusty Gem Overheat style. Although it did make my team have extra troubles against fast Fighting-types, I don't regret the decision. Heatran does not like Garchomps. Also, does not like Bulky Conkeldurr.

The Pokemon are named after music tracks from various Touhou games, not that people could see my nicknames in battle

The team is a Hail Team in the sense that it goes for Blizzard spam. There ends up being a lot of shared weaknesses in the team, particularly Fire, Fighting, Ice, and Rock. I've found it quite entertaining to play, but also quite difficult. There were a lot of situations where I was a hair's width away from losing, but bailed myself out with a bit of luck or some good plays. I found out the hard way that the team can collapse fast when I'm not at the top of my game, losing 100 points in rating within about 4 hours.

I'll write in my final thoughts and some battling statistics later.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
And it's over. Ended around 1700 rating, which was my goal. Peaked at ~1750. Team incoming:

Hitmontop @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Fake Out
-Sucker Punch
-Close Combat
-Wide Guard

Intimidate Abuse up the wazoo. Wide Guard saved my butt a lot, but there are times I wish I carried Detect instead.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
IV: 31 Speed
Brave Nature
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw
-Protect

I moved my TTar over to BW without getting Low Kick, so Dragon Claw had to do. It netted a couple surprise KOs versus Dragons at least. Honestly TTar was the weakest member of my team and I didn't use it except in weather wars.

-Zapdos @ Charti Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-HP Grass
-Tailwind

My bread and butter 'mon in almost every battle. HP Ice would have beeter in retrospect, but HP Grass netted a few surprise KOs against the ever-annoying Swampert. However the whole point of HP Grass was for Gastrodon, and I didn't see it nearly often enough to justify.

-Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Glass Cannon, though the extra bulk compared to Latios helped every now and then. She fell to Choice Scarf Pokemon quite often.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Light Screen
-Safeguard
-Thunder Wave
-Swagger

Running a non-attacking Cresselia is extremely risky, but when it paid off it paid off in spades. However all it took was a Taunt user (the most common being Thundurus) and she was a sitting duck.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake

A last minute addition to my team. Choice Scarf netted a ton of surprise KOs versus dragons, but being locked into one move, plus the reduced bulk and power from the EV and Nature, cost me many fights.

Teams that gave me the most trouble: Sun Teams, Hail teams, and RainRoom teams. Oh god RainRoom teams gave me hell.

105-43 1739. Probably one of the most battles done. Many wins but too many losses due to the fact I didn't pay attention during some battles. This was better practice than PO. Congrats to all!

Wifi fluctuations have stolen more than a few battles from me too (although I'm secretly thankful when the match happened to be going badly)!

I've peaked at 1679 after 40 battles, it's always a gamble searching for more.

It's awesome how active this thread is, it's basically a live chat lol.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My ingame name is CheeZ! I probably used Rotom-W, Chandelure, Terrakion and a Scizor. Ended up benching the two pokemon I built my team around!
I played you earlier as well! Didn't realise we had a Swedish smogoner! My OT was Dozz, and it was about two hours ago now. GG and all that. At least you saw it out :)

Tourney's over!

Accidentally entered my singles team (FAIL), ended up at exactly 1700 regardless! I actually got fairly lucky with DCs vs. other people, but ended up getting around 20 DCs on my part (~15 of which were sending in data after wins, bad internet connection doesn't know what times it's good to be bad internet connection!) All in all, a fun tournament. Also, I realize I'm a new face around here, so hello to all of you veteran Smogoners!

@ Matteo: I must have been one of the last people you played, I was totally surprised when you popped into the queue! That was a good match, it's good to get experience against one of the (if not the) best in the world!

Is it really necessary to DC when you have a 1400 rating? I think people are just trying to piss me off. Well it's over. My team was fun to use,big weakness to cress and rain but other than that it was kind of good.
It isn't very original but here goes:

Zapdos @ Yache Berry Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SAtk / 116 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Hitmontop (M) @ Fight Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard

Dragonslayer (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 4 SAtk / 64 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Recover

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Hydro Pump

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Protect
- Bullet Punch

Togekiss (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash

Double intimidate+light screen came in handy as well as scarfed mence and lum togekiss for spore and the occasional freeze hax.
Ending with 1756 at 43-9-7(estimate,didn't really count).

Good freaking game Greysong! I honestly don't know how you can make a team like that work, but you did. You have my respect.
ZOMG I just saw your post! I'm sooo sorry I didn't see it earlier!!! X_X Good game Rukario!!! Thank you so much! You had an excellent team as well! :3

I played way too much in this tournament but had a very fun time! I could not break 1900 even though it was my goal throughout this whole tournament. Disconnections can obviously improve but disconnections before the battle which were actual disconnection issues need to be drastically changed because it happened every so often.

Final Record: 170-25-45~

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh R Inanimate, I think we battled. Your team is familiar. I was Priten from New Jersey.
I only faced one person with a location of New Jersey, the person was named ERWIN. It might have been a different person, there were a few Japanese Players that ran a similar set up, as I found out when I faced 3 or 4 of them on Saturday.

The only Smogon players that I know that I fought were Sprocket, Roz, J-Leo-L, and Eraddd.

Of which, here's a vid of my battle with Eraddd:
99-85554-77816

btw, does anyone know if ButtonBasher will be making a compilation video of these battle video IDs like last time?

Is it really necessary to DC when you have a 1400 rating? I think people are just trying to piss me off.
I actually had a guy D/C on me when his rating was less than 1350. I just sat staring at the screen for a minute just thinking "...what?"

My team, without going into any details, was Hitmontop/Chandelure/Amoonguss/Latios/Thundurus/Abomasnow

Ended up 1767. Only faced two people from smogon, AceBandit ( excellent 0-1 loss), and Dozz (2 or 3-0). Had fun anyways.
Anyways the team:

Basic strategy was to explode with Azelf with Chandelure out on the field. If it looked like that wasn't the best leads it was usually Scrafty + counter teamer (Rotom-W for rain, Terrkion for Sandstorm and Goodstuff, Chandelure for Trick Room). Big thanks to Cereza for rnging my Azelf and Rotom, and j rank for RNGing my Terrakion.

I actually had a guy D/C on me when his rating was less than 1350. I just sat staring at the screen for a minute just thinking "...what?"
Ridiculous huh. Even worse,that was my last battle.
Here's a battle video, against a guy that had like 1800 something:
98-68466-03959

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Ok, looking at the tourney as a whole, it was pretty fun, good practice, and a nice change up of the standard crap we see on skarmbliss on a day to day basis. Coming into this tourney with a mentality to use this as practice and a small view at what are possible team combos to face at worlds. I loved seeing the creativity from the foreign players even a few using Jigglypuff along with Wobbuffet and not only try to pull off a Perish trap my Pokemon, but also using things like Disable+Encore to make my Pokemon struggle until their fate was sealed. Hax was just awful for me this time around leading to a lot of my losses, but a few I admit defeat in that I was truly outplayed knowing if the BS would've counted or not. My final record in all of this was:

Games that counted: 133 | Rating: 1725 | Record: 93-40-32(Wins-Losses-DCs)

Not the record I truly wanted, and some games I truly wanted to disconnect because of some BS. Luckily I didn't succumb to that in this tourney and I stuck around so long as my internet decided to behave(Which it did like 97% of this entire tourney). I found that most of my losses actually came from around the morning time and as the japanese players started coming out I would collect the majority of my wins. Anyway, yeah this tourney was good practice for not only me and my team, but I felt it helped me it actually get better with just playing in general being a player who just started learning the doubles metagame in depth since November(at which point I started off playing with a Jigglypuff team) Here are all the battle videos I collected throughout this tourney, enjoy:

52-66456-70007 This match was quite interesting
81-97442-09454 He haxed me, I haxed him once to win
15-28740-93083 A good example a one of my other wins I got today
47-20618-29892 douche bag triple protect strategy
40-65423-31455 Battle vs EnFuego
88-74443-66716 Match vs Dozz, literally stuff like this happening nearly every match, but good game and props to your team Dozz
62-87645-53545 In team preview, all this guy had was the 4 Pokemon you see in the battle

Some notable opponents I had throughout this tourney:
Massi - Lost(Good player, but crit in the beginning didn't help one bit)
iss - Lost(Very nice team, narrowly lost this one and iirc there was no hax)
Knotty - Won(cool irc person, but didn't have the best team on the block...)
Enfuego - Lost(see above battle video)
ROBERTO(Kid using moof's RMT team) - Won(I reeeeeeally wanted to save this battle video, but he DCd ;-;)
Dozz - Lost(See above battle video)

Good job to everyone and hope you all had fun!

edit: screw it all, this is my 1k

I had fun during this tournament i only seen 2 people from smogon penguin and some chik shilo from texas im surprised i won both battles considering all i did was use the vgc team thats on rmt lol. But overall i did ok i guess i didnt get to play as much as i wanted due to work my final rating is 1759 38-10 didnt count dcs but i wasnt dced on that much

Smogon players I battled:

DP67 (1-0) W
Unreality (0-3) L
Showsni (2?-0) W
Peterko (1-0) L
PungentFruit (2-0) L
Peterko (2-0) L
Mew_Misaki (I think...) (4-1) L

I may have missed a few, but I think that's everyone I battled from here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)