Into the Distance (Mono-Flying RMT)

Hello smogonites!
I mostly play Ubers, UU and RU. But a friend got me onto monotype, it I found it really fun. (no,it's not you, Don, I got into monotype earliet=r)
I looked at 17 types, and decided, that I'll try doing a Flying monotype team, because it has a lot of diversity.
Teambuliding:
Currently a skeleton, will be completed later.
Added Xatu to bounce stealth rock, support my team and keep pressure on Fighting and poison type opponents.
Added Salamence, since I needed a mixed attacker, who can gain KO's easily.
Added Skarmory, because Mamoswine would trouble me otherwise.
Added Nasty plot/T-wave/heal bell Togekiss to heal my pokemon, paralyze and flinch every foe.
Added Gravity Landorus-T to wreck everything that doesn't resist EQ.
Added Archeops for surprise factor and rock STAB

The team:

The oracle (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 80 Def / 40 SAtk / 184 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Psychic
- Tailwind
Tailwind is crux of this set. It helps me to beat so many threats, that it isn't funny. Toxic ruins stall, roost helps to keep Xatu alive, and Psychic doesn't make it a taunt bait.
The EVs are to make it as balanced as possible, that way, it would survive both types of attacks, while being able to keep offensive presence.

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
One of the main sweepers of the team. I chose him over Dragonite for higher speed, Moxie, and more powerful Outrage and Fire blast.
Hasty nature was chosen to outspeed genesect before boosting.
The EVs are standart-max attack and speed.

Earthquake me (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost
Yeah, really, earthquake him xD
My one and only counter to Mamoswine, who wrecks my team otherwise. Spikes help me to beat stall and HO teams, Whirlwind to phase, and roost increses his longevity.

Sweet(?)heart (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene grace
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Nasty Plot
She's much more powerful and bulky than she looks. Salamence's Outrage deals less than 50%.

She is also my cleric and t-waver, but after a Nasty plot, she can OHKO some of the most threating pokemon to my team.

Landorus-T (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Stone edge
- U-turn
This set works wonders with Tailwind. Earthquake OHKOes everything, that doesn't resist it. Stone edge gets 100% acc in gravity, and it's very useful for KO'ing Grass and Bug tipes.

Archeops (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
Archeops is very underused. But he is very poweful. Stone edge coming from 379 attack will surely hurt a lot. Aqua tail is for Heatran excepting a free switch into Archeops, Acrobatics is secondary STAB and EQ forms the Stonequake combo.

Currently testing: Specially defensive Zapdos, Scarfmence.

Rate, comment, hate, steal. Everything will be appreciated.

Importable:
The oracle (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 80 Def / 40 SAtk / 184 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Roost
- Psychic
- Tailwind

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Earthquake me (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Sweet(?)heart (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Nasty Plot

Landorus-T (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- U-turn

Archeops (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
As you edited (well, kinda), and there's really little that you can say about your team, I'll give a rate.

I really, REALLY loved your team, especially Landorus. However, there are some issues with it. First, your team is very weak to special Genesect, especially if it's a Scarf or a RP variant. His Ice Beam can even 2HKO your Skarmory if he grabs a Download SpA boost after rocks, not to mention that Volbeat + Genesect is a common combination in monotype metagame. I suggest changing your Salamence from DD to a Scarf set. This way you you have a chance of outspeeding Scarf Genesect and destroying it with Fire Blast. This also solves the noticeable lack of speed your team has if Tailwind is out.

Other thing I noticed is that both Tornadus formes and is a huge threat. Their Hurricane can rip through your team assuming it hits. Not even Skarmory can safely switch-in because the genie may carry Heat Wave. Even Archeops takes a heavy dent of his STAB. Speaking on the ancient bird, I don't like it in your team. It may sound powerful at first, but it's easy to lay SR once Xatu is taken down (and this isn't a hard thing at all). Archeops is als pretty frail and can't afford being in less than 50% health. I recommend a Specially Defensive Zapdos over Archeops. Thanks to its nice typing and incredible bulk, it lets you counter Tornadus with relative ease. It can also sponge some special attacks as long as they aren't boosted nor choiced.

A few small things could be changed to improve this team if you want. You could use replace Psychic for Heat Wave or U-Turn on Xatu. Heat Wave lets you deal with troublesome steels better, while U-Turn is great for scouting. Also, I don't like very much the Rock Polish with U-Turn in Landorus since both are quite paradoxal together. You could swap either of them for Stone Edge. Since you're running Gravity, Stone Edge will always hit under normal circumstances, and an EdgeQuake coming from 145 base Atk is a weapon of mass destruction. One last thing would be Stealth Rock over Spikes in Skarmory. SR is more destructive in general, but you're using the Skarmory I showed you (I'm flattered :3) and you caught the idea nicely, so it's up to you.

Salamence: Choice Scarf > Dragon Dance
Zapdos > Archeops

Salamence @ Choice Scarf | Moxie
Hasty | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

Zapdos (yes, from UU analysis) @ Leftovers | Pressure (Lightningrod if in PO)
Calm | 248 HP / 236 SpDef / 24 Spe
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
- Roost
- Tailwind / Substitute / Roar

Xatu: Heat Wave or U-Turn > Psychic
Landorus: Stone Edge > Rock Polish or U-Turn
Skarmory: Stealth Rock > Spikes

Goodluck with this team that beat me in a close match (The Salamence she's talking about against Togekiss was mine :3, Naughty 252 Atk). I hope both my rate and my Luvdisc will help you to succeed even more ^^

Don asked me to come rate so here i am. I really like the flow of this team, however it seems your team really doesn't like Mamoswine too much huh? I'm horrible at rating teams so pardon me, but other than that, i don't see too many other flaws with the team that weren't already addressed above. Good Job

well hi, i am new, i am actually working on a monoflying team, and cam here on smogon and found this team. your team totally rocks!, but, archeops is defenately weighing you down, and sitrus berry can't help too much since it is too frail and it will either not heal him properly or he will get knocked out anyway, this is an odea i am trying and it is pretty good if you really need a physical mon, hustle togekiss, it sounds crazy, but trust me it works, try it:

Togekiss (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Blast

drain punch hits steel types hard enough and will most of the time recover more thn stealth rock does, and the speed is not a problem here since most steel types are slower, aerial ace is for a stab that doesn't miss, e.speed is priority against frail/weakened foes, and fire blast is a filler since its physical movepool is barren, and to hit ferrothorn/skarmorry hard, and don't let that cute smile or base 50 attack fool you, with choice band it has an attack of 490!, better than archeops, and since your team is offensive, defensive togekiss might slow your momentum, and 80 accuracy is not bad , it hits frequently enough, and if you miss, you have enough bulk, it is also a good answer to a weakened mamoswine, (e.speed has more priority than ice shard)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)