1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Introduce Yourself! ONLY POST ONCE IN THIS THREAD

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Birkal, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

CLICK HERE FOR THE NEW INTRODUCTION THREAD

Welcome to Smogon's forums! Here at our forums, we don't overly care how many posts you have. It is entirely appropriate for you to make an account here and start posting immediately in any thread you like. If you've read up on the thread that you want to post in (and the rules of that particular forum), we actually encourage you to start posting right away.

However, we are aware that new users like to introduce themselves in a more formal environment. We wish you'd just jump into our conversations right off the bat, but we'd like to offer this thread as an alternative resource for you to become integrated into the community. The problem is that typically, these threads tend to suck. So I'm going to lay some ground rules to make sure we stay focused here:

• You only get to post ONCE in this thread. You only get to introduce yourself once in this thread, so make it count!

• You may only reply to this thread if you have fewer than 20 posts. If you have more than 20 posts, you likely have a sense for how to use our forums. This thread is intended for those that are new to our community. If you have 20 posts on the dot, send me a message and I'll draw a Pokemon for you.
    • If you wish to greet someone, send them a visitor message. If you're looking to communicate with someone who has posted in this thread, send them a visitor message! That way, you can personally have a chat with our new users, rather than cluttering up this thread.

• List where on Smogon you'd like to get involved. This way, our mentors can contact you and give you more resources about the specific areas that appeal to you. If you don't know about all our communities, I suggest you look at our Smogon Primer.
    That's about it! You might get a message or two from one of our Smogon Mentors if you post in this thread; you can learn more about what they're doing on our Mentorship subsite. They're a great resource for you to check out if you're new to our forums. You can also talk with the mentors live at #mentor on synIRC (or in the mentoring room on Pokemon Showdown!) Again, welcome to Smogon's forums. We look forward to meeting each and every one of you!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  2. FranciscoZ

FranciscoZ

Hello, everybody, I am FranciscoZ, and I am new to this forum, I am very active in Pokémon Showdown (my nickname is FranciscoZ, just like the one I have in this forum) and I am not english, so please dont be rude if found some bad ortography or something like.
    Hope I get popular here. :3
  3. flamingfire77

flamingfire77

Hi, I'm 77flamingfire, my real name is Wilson! I started playing the games when I was 7 years old.

I just started joining in on competitive battles about 5 months ago. My favorite poke is Infernape! Contact if you want!
    Novemberwolf likes this.
  4. Daehmonyak

Daehmonyak

Hi there everyone!

This is my very first post here (haven't had time, courage or constructive comments so far lol) so let's make it worthy. ;)

I'm Daehmonyak, I'm a Brazilian fellow from Curitiba and I'm rather new to pokémon competitive battling. Been playing pokémon since 1st gen, or else, I'm kinda old already :p. I study system analysis in Federal University of Paraná, I like soccer (forza Milan!!) but I suck at playing it, I love italian food, have a 14 months old little hurricane I call my daughter, and I really not good at introducing myself. :p

I've got interested in competitive battling right after I started playing again recently (been a little off from pokémon since I started playing WoW), and now I want to become a little good at it. I've been playing on showdown (mostly on random battles for I can't plot a decent competitive team) and I've read from a bunch of different sources about it. I really hope I can be contributive to this community in the future.

Well, guess this is it. =D
  5. rolen120

rolen120

Well, despite being a voice on showdown this is my first post and I still consider myself very new to the community. I started lurking showdown only about September (I think) of 2012. this was my first competitive experience ever, I was the ultimate noob and overall really dumb. It was only a few months earlier in July when I got my first DS and gen4 games, and in April of 2012 I was still a genwuner. That really shows how big of a noob I am was.

When the first voice challenge cam out I spent about a month on random battles. Even after becoming a voice I still would consider myself a noob. I only played to win and become a voice which was effectively only a prize for me. After becoming a voice I got bored of playing to win and started doing things like hosting short tournaments and being an overall good user. It's only after I had done this I don't think a such a noob anymore. Now I play to meet new people, share ideas, and just plain have fun.

My favorite competitive tiers are LC, NU, RU, UU, CAP, BH, Hackmons, glitchmons, and geNEXT. In other words I don't have a favorite tier I just play everything and do mildly good. I don't have a favorite pokemon competitively, but outside of meta my favorite is rotom.

As one final note I have to admit I probably won't post almost at all even after this.

Edit: well, I am actually starting to post on the forums a bit now. I've made more posts here than any other forum site! that isn't saying much but hey...

Edit: Lol... I'm not so much of a noob anymore, I'm roomowner of trivia and poison elite leader of the monotype league if you ever want to meet me. I'm proud to be on the front page of this :D

Edit: Not part of monotype or trivia anymore also not as active as I used to be (But not dead!) #alwaysrolenaround
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. Mechacharizard

Mechacharizard

Hey guys!

I've been on showdown a lot, and now, I'll like to go give the forums a try and be part of this community!

I've been playing pokemon ever since I was 5. I've played over 20 pokemon games and i'm also a competitive player. Though I can be a bit stubborn, I try to learn and teach others and try to input these strategies into gaming.

I'm good with EVs and IVs, and already know about things like pokerus and all that jazz. However, this site has a lot more to offer, such as RNG and other stuff which to me, are a bit confusing.

What really wanted to make me join this site is what you, Birkal posted about the mentor. After reading all the mentors Bios, Birkal seems amazing and I really respect him and all the other mentors and people who helped with smogon.

I go on showdown often and my favorite tier is OU. I like to test many different teams and strategies and have a lot of fun battling.

I still feel I have a lot to learn, so hopefully if I get a mentor, he will be able to teach me well. I hope I can become more respected and known in the near future and hope to be accepted by the community!

Thanks for reading!
    KaizokuSam likes this.
  7. UltraZap

UltraZap

Hello everyone,I am UltraZap (You all should know me :P) and I am very active on showdown.

I recently joined smogon forums (in fact,yesterday) and I hope I can learn from some epic peoples like Mikel andz Birkal
    Also Joim :D

I also don't know much about forum posting so please please pardon me =D

CHEERS FROM ULTRAZAP
    epikkyogre78 likes this.
  8. youtubeHayjay311

youtubeHayjay311

Hi I'm hayjay311 i have a YouTube channel and I'm obsessed with Pokemon I know a lot about theories, sets, and more also I can think of my own theories and sets myself, I recently got into competitive battling and me and my friend just go back and forth on how you can counter that team and such I'm not real good in game battling since I'm somewhat too lazy to RNG bread ev and leveling up but i am very creative when battling on here and i love using this site to think of sets and recently was able to actually make an account and if you consider me ill do well in Pokemon set build up showing where and how to Ev train and others. My favorite Pokemon is riachu even though hes not very good in competitive but hes still awesome thank you for your time and i know this is a lot but i am one to write long messages.
  9. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar

Hello all I am Nebuchadnezzar, named after the ancient King of Babylon. I started playing competitively on PS! when it was posted on Smogon's fp back in June or July. I was recently Voiced there because of the LC challenge and am trying to chat more.

I've been wanting to get more involved in the LC forums, as it is my favorite meta and I feel I could contribute to the discussions. I'm just still a little hazy on what classifies as a "good" post. Lately I've been posting more but I'm still not nearly at the level of Hawkstar or em in terms of understanding the meta as a whole and being respected by the community.

I'm open to talking with anyone on here as long as they aren't a douchenugget. Those types of people are dissatisfying. Contact me if you'd like.

p.s. I really do want to contribute to the community more.
  10. Lv100starmie

Lv100starmie

Hi, I'm lv100starmie (poop1 on Showdown) I have been lurking on smogon for quite some time now and i figure its time for me to get involved. I hope to be most active in the RMT portions of the forum, as well as in suspect. I have been using the site to help build teams for a while. My favorite Tiers are UU, OU, ard RU, but i mostly do Random battles on showdown. My favorite weather is Hail, My favorite strategy is a good old Smash-Pass, and My favorite gen is 3rd (but i play competitive 5th). I hope i can help people more with team building in the future!
  11. Kronos123

Kronos123

Hi! I am a new person to this site and only posted 3 times, but I have good battling skills, but not too good. On showdown I am Dark Overlord, and I am on fairly active. I love Infernape and Kyureum, it is epic.
  12. wadey

wadey

G'day guys
    Wadey here, aka_wadey on pokemon showdown

Apparently I had joined up on these forums ages ago but don't remember it, but this here's my first post

Long time pokemon player, but new with the competitive side of things, but I've read up on most things and played a lot of random battles,

not really sure what my favourite tier is, but I'd like to learn the basic ins and outs of team building and I suppose that can be done in any tier

I'm an Aussie uni student, I'm not sure if there's many Aussies on these forums but I'd love to find out,

So yea, looking forward to getting involved and improving my pokemon skills ^^
  13. Orbis

Orbis

Hey, everyone. I'm Orbis, and I joined Smogon quite some time ago but I was never really that active as a member. I only posted a RMT once, and that was the last of it. I'd really like to be able to get active in the community, and immerse myself more into the competitive battling scene. As well as being an active and helpful member of the community.

It'd be great to be able to get to talk with more people on here, and become more of a help. I've been a bit shy about posting on here, which is the main reason that I never posted beyond the RMT that I wrote before. I was just never sure where to start and everything that I would have interest in feels strange to want to post in since I'm not very known or active.
  14. Sir Tommy16

Sir Tommy16

Hey guys my PS name is Sir Tommy:D, and I've been playing Pokemon since I was about 5 or 6 years old. I'm a sophomore in HS. I love to game, love to eat food ( I have a beast metabolism, so I'm skinny ), love to be with family, and my best friend! I'm on PS a lot, I started playing last year though believe it or not. I also just got into competitive battling late last year as well, I want to be very popular here on Smogon as well. I really want to help and respect everyone, I love my Pokeppl :D. The ":D" is my trademark as well, it means I love to positive and nice and I love ppl too! :D
    LunarSol likes this.
  15. GreyLane

GreyLane

Hey everyone, I'm GreyLane. I started using the site (not foams) about four years ago, and have followed through the last bits of Generation IV up until now. I played on Shoddy back then, and followed Smogon through its jumps to Pokemon online and Showdown. I prefer playing OU, and while I generally shoot for the best possible results, I always try to give everything a chance to impress me. If I come up with a unique idea for a Pokemon considered unviable, I always try it out. Some people consider bringing a Butterfree to an OU match playing not seriously, but if it fits its team slot better than any other option, I'll go for it.

Anyway, I've lurked around the forums for years, mostly watching for tier and analysis updates before they were posted on the main site. I've honestly been too nervous to approach this place as far as contributing went, worried that I wouldn't fit in, and that it might be too rigid for me to handle. Well, I'm here now, so all I can say is nice to meet you all, and I hope to see everyone elsewhere on the boards soon!
  16. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo

Hey, I'm Captain Apollo and I'm still a relatively new person into the world of competitive Pokemon. Pokemon was my childhood and some of my earliest memories were playing Ruby and Emerald. As some may be able to tell from my username and avatar I'm a bit of a pop culture junkie and I love movies and TV. I just started using smogon last summer, just reading a few forums here and there before finally making a team and going on PS in the fall. I have a lot of fun, and some anger, playing on Showdown, but I want to be a better battler and maybe even the very best like no one ever was.

On showdown I mostly played with random teams before tackling OU. I wasn't particularly fond of OU and opted for UU instead. I mostly make teams and play in UU, occasionally I'll venture to OU or even RU. I also like VGC and Doubles as those are the only tiers I've ever laddered on, besides a brief stint around #100 on the UU ladder.

I just got an account last month, mainly to hear feedback on my Team, but now I want to part of the bigger smogon society. I guess these forums have always intimidated me in a way but now I want to join Smogon. I hope to become a well known name on Smogon for my battling skills and my contributions to the forums and the greater community.
    odyyyyy likes this.
  17. Debury

Debury

Hi. My name is Lewis and I am a very new competitive battler on PO and wifi.
    I really enjoy playing Pokemon these days and want to become a more successful battler so this is why I am on Smogon because I am really taking this game seriously but having a lot of fun with it too.

Currently have a RMT up and it has received good feedback so I am a little closer to having at least one solid team and I hope to build more in the future and be recognized as a good battler on here!

Thanks for reading.
  18. Raichoice

Raichoice

Hey there, my name is Greyson i've been playing pokemon for 5 years now and in like March of last year I started competitive battling, sence then I have nothing on my mind that is'nt about how to train this one pokemon

P.S. Call me Raichoice if you contact, thanks

~Rai
  19. CoconutGijs

CoconutGijs

hi, I''m Gijs, from Holland :) so sorry for my bad english ;)

i played pokemon showdown for a couple of months, stopped, and since a week i have been playing it again, I made 170 teams already, and half of them i didn't even use, I just like to create original teams with weird pokes and weird sets. I mostly play LC and NU and sometimes OU. i recently made a LC team that is doing pretty good. overall i just like to try things out and sometimes they even work :D

P.S. this is my first post so it's probably sucky, but at least i tried. :D
  20. Professor Xerilia

Professor Xerilia

My name is Professor Xerlila, but most people call me the pokemon Professor! I dedicate my time to help those who need it. But I need to become more involved here to do that.

My spelling and typing will often be off but I try to work round it. I am always nice and try my best to resolve arguments and not cause them. I have a little bit of experience on other sites.

I am afraid I can permit you to know my real name, but call me PX. I started battling on some of Showdowns! smaller servers about one month a ago, and really come along since.

please help me get more involved with smogon! i will be eternally gratefull.

PX ;} (That's how I sign things so get used to it)
  21. Lh0gi16

Lh0gi16

Hey

Umm..Hello this is Lh0gi16 as the username implies; I have played Pokemon for quite a while now and never have I considered playing competitively. So that's why I'm here to learn and play and learn a lot more. Aaaand done, 'cause you know, I don't know what else to say. Be my fwend...pwease?? :toast: Thank you, bye!
    Action Bandit likes this.
  22. Shiny Magikarp

Shiny Magikarp

Hello I am Shiny Magikarp and while I am not new, I don't post here often. On Pokemon Showdown I'm Shiny Magikarp Z (I was voiced recently when I completed the Ubers Challenge.) and I battle any tier but, I'm particularly good at Ubers and CAP. I got into Pokemon during the late Hoenn and my first game was Ruby. Hoenn is my favorite region, and was basically my childhood. I learned about competitive battling a while after HG/SS came out. Then a few months after B/W came out, I quit Pokemon. I came back in March/April 2012 and logged on to PO for the first time. And now, I am anxiously awaiting the release of X and Y. I hope to enjoy my stay at Smogon University.
  23. Carta

Carta

Hello. I'm Carta and I'm new here. I'm hoping to learn to battle better, which is why I decided to join these forums. Cheers.
    Dvv likes this.
  24. ForeverNero

ForeverNero

Hello People! I am new to this forum, having posted only a RMT before. My PS name is B.Stinson. I have been playing Pokemon since ADV but my introduction
    to competitive Pokemon was only last year. I became sort of good just recently,
    taking part in Osiris's tourneys and other stuff. I have always been interested in the work editors do in magazines. Contributions and Corrections is an area that I have been interested in but don't know where to begin. I like to think I'm good at grammar, ask my English teacher! I like to write jovial articles on Pokemon
    too, nothing serious. I would love to get an opportunity to do my bit for this wonderful community. . .

Stay Legendary, People!
    Dragongroudon9 and AgentCsa like this.
  25. Pebbles

Pebbles

Hello I am pebbles. This is my first post, though I often read the posts in the rmt sections and other sections. I don't do ps often, my name is Ez target on it however. I often am on po however, where my name changes alot but is EZ target or spidey! atm. most people on po call me spidey. I've been playing pokemon since ruby and samphire but have have only began competitive battling since last summer. I mainly do ou but I will try at any tier and I hope to become more involved in the community and make some friends .. maybe.
    odyyyyy and AgentCsa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)