1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Introduce Yourself! ONLY POST ONCE IN THIS THREAD

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Birkal, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogbert

Frogbert

Hey everyone. I stumbled onto this site while researching how to get into competitive battling since the amount of breeding it takes and my lack of friends with the game has always kept me from experimenting too much with it. With all of the new features and information out there, I figured it was a great time to try out doubles since that has always appealed to me a great deal more. I'm hoping the community here can help me get in some good battles. I don't really need to be a tournament winning champion, as long as there are interesting skirmishes ahead.
    cardmaster12 likes this.
  2. cardmaster12

cardmaster12

i am basically juat a guy who plays pokemon...
    I've played red, diamond, emerald, sapphire, soulsilver, white, and Y, in that order
    I've been playing for many years, but only ever completed one pokedex, the national dex on pokemon y
    I am basically now more of a shiny hunter
    i enjoy playing through the games and trading, but i also enjoy the thrill of shiny hunting
    If you look at the games i've played you'll notice i have played every reigon...
    with the help of friends i am now completing my living pokedex, actually having every pokemon at once is pretty challenging, but it's worth it in the end
    i was never previously into competitive pokemon, but i just recently ev trained my blaziken, and i actually enjoyed it...
    my name is Avery, and if you want to trade me,just Message me your FC
    my safari is braxien pyroar growlithe, and if you help me, i'll try and shiny hunt you something, since i just got the shiny charm.
  3. ArrestedPython6

ArrestedPython6

Hello! I am ArrestedPython6. That is also my name on #Pokemon and PS. I have been playing Pokemon for around eleven years and just a year or so ago I wanted to start battling competitively. This is my first post, but I have a small bit of experience in competitive battling. I would like to get involved in Smogon in the Competitive Discussion section. Thanks for reading this!
  4. PokeTrainerBoz

PokeTrainerBoz

Hey all, I'm Boz, Im pretty interested in breeding, and competitive battles. I need some help on making a team, so I guess im interested in getting my teams rated? :D Hope this helps.
  5. Dark Killz

Dark Killz

Sup Guys! I'm New Here. i Really Love Pokemon So HMU Anytime If You Wanna Battle :D.
  6. Ffxfriek

Ffxfriek

Hi everyone, I'm Ffxfriek. I'm here for a class which is why I'm here. But, I'm also a huge Pokemon gamer. And I hope as my presences continues here I will learn mroe about the world of competetive pokemon
  7. Shainii Skar

Shainii Skar

Hello people of Smogon! -
    *Before I start, I would like to say that I joined 3 days ago, being Wednesday.

My name is Shainii Skar. I hang out mostly in the Monotype and Lobby rooms. This is my first post on smogon and I would love to grow along with the community. I've seen some really cool guys in the Lobby and such, and I want to be like them, cool. :)

I want to be able to do most tiers and succeed in them as well. I didn't know much about Pokemon Showdown, but I made many friends on the first day I joined. Some of the people with the symbols (+/%/@/&/~/#) have already made friends with me. I've read some of the things users with the symbols have posted and I want to be like that. I cool back story to tell about how I joined and everything. I have a list of some favorite things listed below -

Show Hide
    Favorite Pokemon(s): Aron Reason: Aron helped me a lot in Gen 3, back when I played Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire & Emerald.I really love that Pokemon, due to the steel type being my favorite type as well. | Favorite Gym Leader & Elite Four & Champion: I liked Brock as a Gym Leader a lot. He loves girls and he has that Onix that gets hit by Electric moves. My favorite Elite Four Member is Flint, because he really challenged me and he was a cool, inspiring guy. My favorite Champion is Steven Stone. He has Steel types and he was a cool, laid back guy. He also was the Champion of Ruby & Sapphire, which are my favorite Pokemon Games. :D
    Show Hide

Well, thanks for reading! I hope we can all become friends and grow together on the wonderful Smogon Community!

#Ruby&SapphireRemakes #ParagraphIntro #SmogonIsDaBest
    Darnell likes this.
  8. TheMaskedMeowth

TheMaskedMeowth

Hey, I'm TheMaskedMeowth and I've been active on Showdown as of recent. I've come up with a pretty good team that has been able to sweep some lower teams on the ladder, and get a few come-from-behind victories on the higher teams. I really wanna get into the competitive battling scene, and Smogon seems like a good way to do it.
  9. JustJess

JustJess

Hi guys, My name is Jess.
    I've been playing pokemon for as long I can remember.
    I've always been part of breeding part of pokemon and giving them out for my friends who battled.
    Now I have an interest to play competitively.

I'm passionate about art and Marine Wildlife and currently enrolled in medical school. SO please don't hate me if I'm gone for a time D:
    If it's your birthday I'll draw you your favorite pokemon! ( Only one though! )
    I have much to learn! So lets help each other out!
    :"D
    Let's be pals!
  10. sandragon13

sandragon13

Greetings, everyone. My name is sandragon13. I suppose I would qualify as a Pokemon veteran of sorts, having been involved with the series in some form or another for about 15 years. I've been lurking about on Smogon as well as numerous other Pokemon institutions for several years and only now have gotten around to rejoining the forum scene. Now then, a little about me... I primarily focus on the games, having played Gold, Ruby, Fire Red, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, White 2, and X versions. I've just completed my fourth National Pokedex in X version this past weekend. Since the 4th generation's introduction of the GTS I've become more of a Shiny Hunter, and am always willing to add new shinies to my dex (even if they're not for keeps), and currently have somewhere around 104 registered shinies. I've always been interested in competitive battling but have never put forth an earnest effort to join the community here on Smogon beyond sporadic jaunts on the Random Battle circuit. Additionally, I am a dedicated Fakemon developer and am more than 3/4 of the way towards completing my own 160+ member regional Pokedex, complete with realistic stats, movesets, and so forth. Finally, I've recently begun designing my own sets of Pokemon TCG cards (which could always use more playtesting to determine viability...). You could call me a jack of all trades, if you like, but I hope to continue to grow and learn with my fellow Smogon forum members.
    -sandragon13
  11. Bonjoe

Bonjoe

Hi Mentors ! My Name is Bonjoe , i'm from the philippines.

I just got into competitive battling ( Battling friends via WiFi :D )

and i am consistently getting stomped by my friends.

I want to learn how to create a team that would not get stomped by a set-up once it is done , i want to learn how to counter pokemon . Basically i want to know the basics of battling and team building

i am not new to pokemon showdown , i have a few wins against players who are at my level and just complete stomps by people above me.

Thanks in the future guys !
  12. Conker534

Conker534

Hello, I'm new to competitive Pokemon. I've played through Pokemon yellow, heartgold, and X (100 hours in X haha, I love breeding.)
    Hope to meet some new people and have fun. ^_^
  13. lavitz199

lavitz199

Greeting Mentors!

My name is Sam, I am from the UK. I have been playing since red and blue on the Game Boy Colour and have followed Pokemon ever since. I have never been much of a competitive person really but I do enjoy the whole training and breeding aspect to Pokemon. I would love to gain knowledge in breeding/raising Pokemon and make new friends to discuss ideas and maybe help breed Pokemon to trade and help other people in their Pokemon journey.

I am currently playing Pokemon X and my party consists 4/6 Normal type because I think the Normal type rocks! I was kinda surprised that my party beat the Pokemon League first time.

I regret that I have no experience on Pokemon Showdown.

My main goal is to meet new people and learn more about the expanding world of Pokemon.

Bye for now! :)
  14. Wandering-Trainer

Wandering-Trainer

Hello everyone!

My name is Wandering-Trainer and it is nice to meet you all. My experience in competitive battling is relatively low. I have played around on Pokemon Showdown once or twice, but my experience beyond that is pretty limited (fairly casual Wi-Fi battles). I'm not too skilled in team construction.

I would actually like to learn about and possibly play in every tier, but for the sake of simplicity, I plan to start in the UU tier. I love learning from more experienced trainers and am looking forward to learning and improving as a trainer. Above all, I hope to meet fellow trainers and have fun.

Cheers!
  15. KorruptPhantom

KorruptPhantom

Hey Guys, I'm Peter. I've lurked on the site quiet a bit, just to see the analysis's of pokemon, never actually went into the forums. I like to think I have moderate experience in competitive battling. I joined this site in order to work on a class project on online communities at DePaul University, but I'm going to try to make this more than a project and continue to be at least a semi active member. I mostly play OU and UU tiers on Pokemon Showdown. That's about all there is to say for now. Oh, and also, thanks to you guys, This year actually, I bred a Normal team in pokemon Y and stomped my friend's Fighting team (he doesn't do competitive pokemon, so I tried to make it a little fair).
  16. Night61

Night61

Hello everyone, My name here is night 61, but go by many names online. My blog is gamer women, where i focus mainly on pokèmon. I have been playing since yellow, and have been sort of a casual player. My girl Lapras has almost always had my back in games, so i have become sadden as i went competitive and she repeatedly got her butt handed to her. So i am now in the process of tearing down my teams and starting over again. Ideally i want to build a team generation with one rep from each of the 6 generations, with four spares to slip in. I already know my other critter espeon will be in it, but i am still a bit lost and really kind of lost and really just need a sounding board to bounce team ideas off of. Someone who has been in the competitive world, because my friends are more casual i no one else.
  17. Straight Boss

Straight Boss

Hi there, im Straight Boss and I'm new to the Smogon community as well as competitive Pokemon. I've been playing Pokemon my whole life; from Red Version to Pokemon White. My favorite Pokemon of all time has to be Gengar. I am looking to get into Pokemon Showdown and learning more about the Pokemon metagame. I don't really post much on the forums but I am looking to change that in the near future. I would love to get to know more people that are as passionate about Pokemon as I am and to have a mentor to guide me along the way. Just PM me if you wanna get in contact. Cya!
  18. Smasher225

Smasher225

Hello,

I am Smasher225 and I've played Pokemon since the beginning. I had a quick go in competitive Pokemon back in Generation 5 right at the very beginning but found it was really difficult to get into especially with the hacking so people could make new teams in a matter of minutes if they really wanted to. I also found breeding off putting trying to get perfect/or close too in previous games but with the new changes it really made me want to get into the scene. I also find it hard living in Canada where there aren't events like there are in the states.

With X and Y I have got a team and a bunch of 5 IV Pokemon that I can make a couple teams with but I know nothing about the strategy that goes behind the game other than what I see on YouTube videos. I have a team I think is not too bad and I'm looking to get better. I kind of have a breeding shop that I started on Serebii but with not having much time I can't really do it. If anyone wants to help me learn the game please PM me, I want to get better in the OU and UU meta's (starting with OU as that's what my current team in game is) and having a actual team in game is really making me want to get better.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help you guys can offer me :)
    Smasher225
  19. DannyBoii56

DannyBoii56

Hi everybody!

Long time pokemon fan, first time smogon user and hoping to be an active member for a long time to come!

I enjoy pokemon greatly, and have been playing religiously sense the old blue/red days. However I am an EXTREMELY new online and competitive battler(like, 4 or 5 lifetime with no real clue what i was doing x.x) I hope to become a very strong competitive battler, and as far as these forums go i'd love nothing more than to have a mentor help me make better team building decisions, and once I have become a competent battler and gain an understanding as to WHY pokemon / moves / items are effective, i'd love to post all the knowledge that I gain and would love to help other people out, because pokemon is just that cool:P

Cant wait to start having lively discussions and debates with ya'll

Cheers!
  20. Proteus0

Proteus0

I played R/G/Ruby originally when they all came out, then just kept replaying them and finally got Platinum and HG... But like 5 months ago, lol. I knew of the basic mechanics but never bothered to get in depth about breeding, IVs, EVs, etc. I finally went ahead and bought Y 3 months ago and was blown away with the online play.. I never tried going online I always just liked replaying the main story lines with different lineups.. But in X/Y the idea being able to get good competitive teams much more efficiently & less time consuming makes it so much better because the real game is the online. And I immediately got obsessed with making sure I can at least crack .500 on battle spot now. Now I see myself not really interested in playing the actual game and just playing online... It's definitely addictive and a great time killer. ;)
  21. cbalson

cbalson

Hello my name is Balson!

I am a long time lover of Pokemon and very into competitive battling and have been lurking on this website for a couple of years now.
    I am a college student and writer, but Pokemon now holds a major place in my heart.
    My knowledge of Pokemon is quite large competitively and I would like to finally be known in the competitive Pokemon community.
    I want to have conversations about battling techniques and strategies as well as teach and learn more my self.
    Not the biggest on Pokemon Showdown, but I am really into just battling with the Pokemon I raise in game.
    Now I have almost four boxes of fully competitive ready Pokemon quite a bit now IV Bread. So if you ever want a challenge send me a message and your friend code and I would be happy to have a friendly match.
    I like to use defensive stall teams most of the time, but I have a wide variety trained that I can do many team builds involving different strategies.
    But I would like to really see where I am at compared you all!

Thank you to whoever reads this! :D
  22. ghaskan

ghaskan

I believe it's about time I write my introduction!

Starting with a bit of personal background, I'm a Portuguese college 1st year who is majoring Biology. I've always been a bit of what people tend to consider a geek, enjoying fictional works a fair bit. That includes books, TV shows (...mostly anime, COUGH!) and, of course, videogames. Since we are on a Pokémon forum, it's on my history with Pokémon that I will tell you about.

I've liked Pokémon pretty much ever since I was old enough to have a preference on things, although I mostly watched the anime and played on my friends' copies of Red and Gold. Come Gen III, I got my first Pokémon game, Ruby (very hyped for ORAS, as you can guess!), and later Sapphire, which was a bit of a downer because I was not aware of the little differences between versions. Still, I beat both games and eventually got my hands on FireRed as well. A few years of pure Pokélove passed until my interest began to wane. With no Nintendo DS of my own, I had no means to jump into Gen IV either, at least not right away. I eventually had my interest rekindled (thanks to the anime, in fact), and got a Nintendo DS Lite along with Pokémon Platinum. Since then, I've become more of a Pokéfan than ever, by joining a Pokémon community to which I gave my fair deal of (I like to believe) meaningful contributions, and by getting Pokémon SoulSilver and Pokémon White day one. Due to my love for the series dropping a bit once more, coupled with some financial issues, I happened to skip Black2 and White2 entirely. When Pokémon XY was released worldwide, I "suffered" for a few months, as I couldn't wait to play the game (and others), but unfortunately getting a Pokémon 3DS wouldn't be easy. Thankfully, in April of this year I got a 3DS XL along with a copy of Pokémon X, and I've been loving every minute of it so far. Currently I'm working on collecting a living 'déx and...

BATTLE COMPETITIVELY! Or well, at least have a few matches over the Wi-fi. At any rate, that brings me to the reason I joined Smogon in the first place. Well... I had joined it long before, but I have to admit tht the reputation this place had made me stay away from it. At any rate, this time around, either due to need (can't think of a better place to learn about the art of Pokémon battling) or me being able to bear the atmosphere better with the help of the little added maturity I've gotten since first registering, this time I'm here to (hopefully) stay. I guess the fact that I've since become an assiduous user of IRC might help - I'm in a bunch of Smogon rooms right now, lurking and trying to integrate myself to the best of my abilities, which is never easy when you go to a new community where your previous acquaintances are not present (not that I know of, at least).

Anyway, this has become quite rant-y by now, so let's get to the TL;DR part of this post. Basically, I've come to Smogon to learn about competitive battling, like I said, and who knows, maybe make a friend or two. So far, I've been trying to learn OU with the help of Smogon's many articles and forum posts, and by utilizing Pokéshowdown as a tool to gather experience. I think I've been doing okay-ish, although I'm also VERY interested in the lower tiers because some of my favourite Pokémon are stuck there, and different metagames always bring a different feel, which I like.

With all this said, thanks for reading my introduction if you have, and even if you haven't, it's nice to meet you! :)
  23. shellsamurai

shellsamurai

Hi guys I'm shellsamurai! I'm from Britain and ive been playing pokemon since 3rd gen (so im really hyped for the remakes), although ive been watching the anime since the first season. I'm relatively new to competitive battling- i only started about 1 and a half years ago, my favourite tiers being OU, Ubers, UU and Almost Any Ability. My favourite pokemon is oshawott. My showdown user name is shellsamurai, and im currently laddering in OU- I want to be in the top 500. :)
    [​IMG]
  24. MisakiKinuta

MisakiKinuta

Hey, MisakiKinuta here!

I've been a proud Trainer since Sapphire and am HYPED that they're making Alpha/Omega on the 10th Anniversary month of my introduction to Pokémon! I'm from the US, and I just started battling competitively when XY came out last October. I haven't attempted smogon competitive quite yet, but I still battle by their rules and am a fan of UU and RU tiers. My favourite Pokémon are Noivern, Buizel, and Mienshao. I plan on collecting every legitimately obtainable shiny in the Pokémon games.

By the way, even though my username is MisakiKinuta, I go by Misaki.
    Geodude6 likes this.
  25. thehonbtw

thehonbtw

Hi, I'm thehonbtw... I'm a first year PhD student at UCSD. I've played pokemon casually since I was a little kid and just discovered the competitive atmosphere after alpha-testing and playing a pair of fan made games called Pokemon Zeta/Omicron. My favorite metagame is Monotype though I also have a soft spot for OU.

The mentorship program really interests me... Particularly if there is a mentor who is interested in the Monotype Metagame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)