General Introduce yourself!

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, I'm Charming-Mander. I've been playing pokemon since I was a kid. However, I have just now started looking into competitive play. This seems to be the place for competitive pokemon, so here I am. :)
hey welcome dude :)
smogon is the best place for ppl who just started playin. if u wanna learn the competitive world of pokemon im gonna encourage you to join http://www.smogon.com/tutor/
what is it? this is the B101, a program who let you learning the competitive aspects of the game.
if you already built a team, but you don't feel good with it, let's make a thread here -> http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/rate-my-team.52/

what can i say?if you need help contact me via mp, and...enjoy smogon!

BW wasn't a very good generation in competitive play unless you were in lower tiers imo. OU felt really, really stale. I love Empoleon for its unique typing and it is definitely one of the better support Pokemon in UU. If you're interested in getting more involved with UU, this is the UU subforum on Smogon. Some top players that you may try asking for advice would include Sam and Hikari, the UU tier leaders, and veteran players such as IronBullet93 and Ernesto. I know a few things about UU, but probably not enough to really help you get started with the tier in terms of battling. Hopefully you enjoy your stay and have fun with the UU tier :)
Hey thanks for the welcome, and I'll definitely check out everything you mentioned at some point! I've been occupied with getting to know ou for the past few days, but I think uu is mainly still where my heart is.

Hi!
I'm BlueDogXL-- You can call me Blue, Dog, BlueDog, or BDXL.
I remember lurking around when they announced Hackmons on the client download fo PS! and eventually found the online player for PS! after lurking around Smogon. Anything Goes is my fave metagame, and I have a team of Mews for it (it's not that good) and can't really play competitive. I play Pokemon X, and plan to restart Pokemon HeartGold.

I tried to challenge boTTT to a battle. It was busy moderating. :s

Hi!
I'm BlueDogXL-- You can call me Blue, Dog, BlueDog, or BDXL.
I remember lurking around when they announced Hackmons on the client download fo PS! and eventually found the online player for PS! after lurking around Smogon. Anything Goes is my fave metagame, and I have a team of Mews for it (it's not that good) and can't really play competitive. I play Pokemon X, and plan to restart Pokemon HeartGold.

I tried to challenge boTTT to a battle. It was busy moderating. :s
Hey welcome to smogon. I'm kinda busy helping three other people out as of now but if you want in the future we can spend a couple hours improving your battling skills. I'm not that good to be honest in OU or UU but I can do ok in smaller tiers like RU. I also am pretty good in doubles as well. Pokemon heartgold and soul silver are very great games and as soon as I get my soul silver back from my friend I plan on restarting the game as well. I never played hack mons on pokemon showdown but it sounds fun. If you need anything or just wanna talk feel free to PM me or ask these guys for help Fluke, QueBien, TheHoodedGamer.

Enjoy your time around smogon.

hey guys,first time posting here.
i'm mikael (i wished to change my name to something else instead of my real name but whatever :pirate: ). i hope i can have a great time here at smogon :)

Wassup guys!
My name is XenoTech N and I've been on for a while now, so I thought I'd make it official and join. I plan to play from PU all the way up to OverUsed. Hope to finally be able to share my thoughts on the forums! :)

Wassup guys!
My name is XenoTech N and I've been on for a while now, so I thought I'd make it official and join. I plan to play from PU all the way up to OverUsed. Hope to finally be able to share my thoughts on the forums! :)
Hey man, welcome. I love PU, NU and RU the most of all tiers, and I also play UU often. Too bad I just don't like OU, but I like Ubers, and I play it from time to time. Do you mostly play on Showdown! or Wi-Fi? We could arrange a battle if you'd be down :)

I play solely Showdown, but my server's down right now, so maybe later, kay?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Someone please tell me how to quote someone, since I'm new to the forum!

I play solely Showdown, but my server's down right now, so maybe later, kay?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Someone please tell me how to quote someone, since I'm new to the forum!
click the reply button:) Welcome to smogon also. If you are looking for a way to improve your battling skills you can PM me and we can schedule a time on showdown to meet up and battle or I can show you some cool tricks. I really like the RU tier kinda not to much of a fan of the OU tier (personal reasons). I also like double battles and meowstic is a powerhouse in doubles in my opinion. I hope you enjoy your time around smogon and feel free to let me know if you need something.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'm Josh. I'm 16 and I've been playing pokemon since back in the days of fire red/leaf green on my gameboy. I only started playing "competitively" recently. My favorite region is sinnoh, which is likely rare on here, and kanto is a close second. I mainly have been playing randoms, I average 1500-1750 in rating but rating in randoms does change drastically because of how much larger the luck/rng element is with teams and predictions. After leaching some teams, and playing OU and ubers, I got up to 1300-1400s with those teams. I have no team building skills which is why I haven't tried. In AG HunterStorm has been teaching me a bit about it, after he destroyed me (I was using linearcurve's team). I only play on showdown. Hit me up if you want some games.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'm Josh. I'm 16 and I've been playing pokemon since back in the days of fire red/leaf green on my gameboy. I only started playing "competitively" recently. My favorite region is sinnoh, which is likely rare on here, and kanto is a close second. I mainly have been playing randoms, I average 1500-1750 in rating but rating in randoms does change drastically because of how much larger the luck/rng element is with teams and predictions. After leaching some teams, and playing OU and ubers, I got up to 1300-1400s with those teams. I have no team building skills which is why I haven't tried. In AG HunterStorm has been teaching me a bit about it, after he destroyed me (I was using linearcurve's team). I only play on showdown. Hit me up if you want some games.
Hey Josh. The days of GBA were a lot of fun. Sapphire was my first main series game, but firered / leafgreen was my first full taste of Kanto (i did later go back and play RBY) Sinnoh is a bit special to me considering I started playing competitively after Platinum came out. I don't know much personally about the OU and Uber tiers, but the links to their subforums can be found here: OU and Ubers. It would probably be very wise to check the Viability Rankings thread for each tier to figure out the best Pokemon to try and use on teams in those specific tiers. The higher a Pokemon is ranked in a tier, the better it generally performs.

Hey, welcome to Smogon! I'm curious what your first Pokémon game was. Mine was Yellow, and I haven't stopped playing ever since.
Are you completely blanco, or do you know something about competitive play already? If you have any quick questions you can always ask me. I'm pretty much into the competitive side of Pokémon, especially breeding and battling.

If you have any other questions regarding Pokemon or Smogon, you can always ask chester0334, QueBien or TheHoodedGamer about them. Trust me, there guys know a LOT!
Thanks for the info! My first pokemon game was Emerald, but I have since gone back and played through Red, Ruby, Soul silver, Diamond, Black and Y. I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to learn as much as I can about competitive play, so I'm not completely new.

hey welcome dude :)
smogon is the best place for ppl who just started playin. if u wanna learn the competitive world of pokemon im gonna encourage you to join http://www.smogon.com/tutor/
what is it? this is the B101, a program who let you learning the competitive aspects of the game.
if you already built a team, but you don't feel good with it, let's make a thread here -> http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/rate-my-team.52/

what can i say?if you need help contact me via mp, and...enjoy smogon!
Yes I have just completed my first team, and will go post it on rate my team after I have tested it on Showdown a few times. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! My first pokemon game was Emerald, but I have since gone back and played through Red, Ruby, Soul silver, Diamond, Black and Y. I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to learn as much as I can about competitive play, so I'm not completely new.
Yes I have just completed my first team, and will go post it on rate my team after I have tested it on Showdown a few times. Thanks for the reply!
Hey, just saying, double posting is not allowed. If you have something to add to something you just posted, use the edit button under your post.

Hello, Smogon! I'm Lidist and I've been a member of the Pokemon Showdown community for quite some time now, but I've only now created a Smogon account. I am primarily an OU player and I'm looking forward to being an active member in the community. :)

Hello, Smogon! I'm Lidist and I've been a member of the Pokemon Showdown community for quite some time now, but I've only now created a Smogon account. I am primarily an OU player and I'm looking forward to being an active member in the community. :)
Oh jeez the OU metagame on showdown don't even get me started. Apparently though having a 1400 rating doesn't even get you ranked though lolXD. Either ways I'm glad that you wanna be an active member of the community. I remember to the first time I joined the community that was my goal and well I kinda achieved it I guess. If you want I can help improve your skills on pokemon showdown and can help improve your skills just message me or feel free to PM me your choice. I'm glad though you decided to make a smogon account. If you need something feel free to let me know or message the Fluke, QueBien, or TheHoodedGamer.

Have a great day and I hope you enjoy smogon.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm Mike. I'm totally new to this, and don't really know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!
The place to start depends on what you're looking for! :) Anyhow, welcome to Smogon! If it's competitive battling you're looking for, then the Competitive Discussion Forum is a good place to start. Within it, you'll find the subforums for each tier. But for your convenience, here's a link to each of them: OU Forum Ubers Forum, UU Forum, RU Forum, NU Forum, LC Forum, and Doubles OU Forum. If you're looking for more laid-back discussions about various Pokemon games and topics, then the Orange Islands Forum would be perfect for that. And for non-Pokemon related discussions, this place is good.

If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a PM. You do this by clicking on my name and then clicking on the "Start a Conversation" option in the box that pops up from clicking my name. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Hello I'm JMB. I'm an undergraduate working for an engineering degree and during the summers I do various landscaping jobs, from cleaning forclosed homes, cutting trees down, and doing your lawn/flowerbeds. I've loved pokemon since the very first pokemon red came out for the gameboy color. Nice to see such an active forum for pokemon.

Hello I'm JMB. I'm an undergraduate working for an engineering degree and during the summers I do various landscaping jobs, from cleaning forclosed homes, cutting trees down, and doing your lawn/flowerbeds. I've loved pokemon since the very first pokemon red came out for the gameboy color. Nice to see such an active forum for pokemon.
Hey dude welcome to smogon. I still am playing pokemon yellow and well to be honest I don't think the games hold up well now. That's my thought though. It's still a good game though. My very first games were diamond and emerald and those were very fun games and I have enjoyed pokemon throughout my whole life. Sadly my original copy of diamond was stolen which kinda stinks. If you plan on getting into competitive battling you should PM me or if you just wanna talk you can message me for that as well. You can also talk to QueBien, Fluke, TheHoodedGamer. Hope you enjoy your time around smogon.

Hey guys. My name's Fred. I'm barely getting started in competitive play after spending lots of time trading and breeding for playable 'mons. I'm mainly interested in OU and UU after trying my feet on Showdown. Pokemon holds a special place in my heart as pokemon yellow was the first game I ever got.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hey guys. My name's Fred. I'm barely getting started in competitive play after spending lots of time trading and breeding for playable 'mons. I'm mainly interested in OU and UU after trying my feet on Showdown. Pokemon holds a special place in my heart as pokemon yellow was the first game I ever got.
Hello Natmis!
Welcome to the forums! I'm kind of the opposite of you in that I'm just getting started with breeding and/or trading for competitive Pokemon, but I've had about a year of experience in competitive battling. My favorite tiers include 1v1, OU, and Monotype, but I enjoy many different tiers. You can use this Resource Guide for getting started with the OU tier. In addition, read over some of the discussions in both the Overused and Underused forums to get a feel for how things are going at the time. You can join in on the discussions if you'd like (provided you know enough about the metagame). Check out our Tutoring Program to see if signing up is something you'd like to do. Pokemon became a part of my life a couple years back when I saw my friend playing Emerald. He gave me a turn, and since then, I've loved the franchise. The first game I ever owned was Pokemon Y, when I finally saved enough money to buy a 3DS. If you have any questions about anything here, go ahead and post in the Have a Question? thread or the Simple Questions Simple Answers threads. You could PM me or one of these other friendly users: chester0334, EonX, Fluke, or TheHoodedGamer. I'll see you around!

Guess I should do one of these.

First video game I ever got was Pokemon Red. Eventually I got Silver, then Crystal. I dropped Pokemon at Gen3 because I disagreed with the direction, looking at things dropped from G2 (backwards trading, day/night, etc). For nostalgia's sake, I got FireRed and for console's sake I got XD. When Platinum was coming out, decided to try it. Restored all faith in the series and many things I miss. I learned in that gen about EVs when seeing a friend EV training and getting +24 to a stat in one level up (miss that). From then, got more and more on the competitive side. Throughout G5 and beyond, we all knew Smogon and the tiers. I'm about 50/50 on playing in-game or by sim, but prefer the actual games. Love using a mix of weird and legit guys (Shedinja for life).

I don't think I will contribute much, maybe a bit occasionally, but nothing substantial. I am getting a bit concerned by this generation and the growing bulk of EVERY borderline tier instead of moving Pokemon down into lower tiers and causing a slow cascade that changes how each tier works over time. I think at least 15 of my favorites are in one borderline or another.

Also my Safari is either Bug with Pinser or normal with Ditto. Did a lot of stuff when transferring 3DS after battery loss, unsure which is which now. I should check that...

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Guess I should do one of these.

First video game I ever got was Pokemon Red. Eventually I got Silver, then Crystal. I dropped Pokemon at Gen3 because I disagreed with the direction, looking at things dropped from G2 (backwards trading, day/night, etc). For nostalgia's sake, I got FireRed and for console's sake I got XD. When Platinum was coming out, decided to try it. Restored all faith in the series and many things I miss. I learned in that gen about EVs when seeing a friend EV training and getting +24 to a stat in one level up (miss that). From then, got more and more on the competitive side. Throughout G5 and beyond, we all knew Smogon and the tiers. I'm about 50/50 on playing in-game or by sim, but prefer the actual games. Love using a mix of weird and legit guys (Shedinja for life).

I don't think I will contribute much, maybe a bit occasionally, but nothing substantial. I am getting a bit concerned by this generation and the growing bulk of EVERY borderline tier instead of moving Pokemon down into lower tiers and causing a slow cascade that changes how each tier works over time. I think at least 15 of my favorites are in one borderline or another.

Also my Safari is either Bug with Pinser or normal with Ditto. Did a lot of stuff when transferring 3DS after battery loss, unsure which is which now. I should check that...
Hi B. Katarn, and welcome to Smogon!
The very first game I played was Emerald, but though I have not visited the first two generations yet, I've played every main series game after it. The first version I owned was Y, and I also bought Alpha Sapphire a while back (Hoenn's my favorite region n_n ). I especially liked the mechanics of HGSS, but never brought myself to buy one of them. I knew nothing about type matchups until my friend got me started with Pokemon Showdown; from there, I got much better at competitive battling, although I can only say I'm decent at it. I usually battle competitively in the simulator, but every now and then I'll play a few Wi-Fi battles. My favorite Pokemon is Bisharp ever since I first used it competitively way back when. I also enjoy using creative sets, but I do use movesets from the Dex, too. Anyway, even if you don't contribute much, have a great time here!

EonX

Battle Soul
Hello everyone, my name is Nick, or if you would prefer you can call me by my screen name Melodic D Minor. I'm generally used to forums like this and shouldn't have too much trouble getting used to the community, I still have a bit of looking around to do. I was referenced to PS! from a friend who plays on PS! every so often. I used to play a lot of competitive Pokemon but took a very long leave for personal reasons. I used to play OU, but since my return I have mainly stuck to UU. Hope to get to know everyone well and learn a lot here.
Being used to forums certainly helps with the transition. I can speak from experience with this for sure. Glad to hear that you're back on the competitive scene though. I'm not very well versed with UU myself, but this is the UU forum. Within it, you'll find all sorts of important things, such as cores to build around, the general metagame discussion thread (np thread for short) and perhaps most importantly, the Viability Rankings thread which will give you an idea to how Pokemon stack up with each other in UU. Sam, Hikari, Ernesto, and IronBullet93 are some top UU players that can probably help you get used to the community there. The first two are the UU tier leaders on Smogon while the latter two are a couple of the most experienced players in the tier, as evidenced by their position on the UU Council. And if you're wondering what a council is, it's something each tier has. It's generally comprised of the most knowledgeable players in a given tier and they generally make suspect nominations (with the help of their community's input of course!) and other major tier announcements. Council members are NOT the same for every tier. For example, I'm part of the RU Council, but don't play OU or NU at all while playing UU sparingly.

EonX

Battle Soul
That's good to know, I'll definitely check out those forums and perhaps contact the council need be it. When I have issues tier wise I normally seek help either in the Competitive tutoring room on PS! Or the underused room. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, I hang around the CT room myself to give RU advice, so it's never a bad place to go (nor is the UU room I'm sure) That said, it never hurts to have more options! :) Enjoy your time here and with UU specifically. (I believe they're suspecting Mega Pidgeot there right now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)