General Introduce yourself!

Hi all, looks like I've been playing Pokemon since the original Red/Blue games, but never really played or looked into playing competitively. I'm interested in giving it a try, but have no idea where I should start! I see a lot of information about the different tiers as well as recommended movesets for different pokemon and how to use them. But what's the best way to go about learning how to build your own teams and strategies? Is it typically better to follow some recommended builds first or just learn through trial an error?

I'm looking forward to learning a lot, and I know I still have a ways to go. I haven't finished X yet (not planning on buying OR/AS until I finish), and actually haven't finished a Pokemon game since the original G/S. ^^;

Hi kernikal! You can find several sample teams in the threads for individual tiers in the Competitive Discussion forum, as well as sign up to be tutored by experienced battlers in the Battling 101 forum. I myself started back on the Original Generation 1 games and only started playing competitively this generation with X/Y. It's a lot to take in at first but it's pretty fun ad I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and make friends.

Hi everyone! I've been around Smogon for a few months but mainly lurking and wanted to introduce myself. I've played all of the pokemon games except the BW era and my first game was Pokemon Gold. I got into competitive pokemon last year when I came across the monotype metagame. I have been getting into the other metas forum a bit and have recently been getting into NU as well. I am really interested in the usage statistics and the mathematics behind pokemon in general.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hi everyone! I've been around Smogon for a few months but mainly lurking and wanted to introduce myself. I've played all of the pokemon games except the BW era and my first game was Pokemon Gold. I got into competitive pokemon last year when I came across the monotype metagame. I have been getting into the other metas forum a bit and have recently been getting into NU as well. I am really interested in the usage statistics and the mathematics behind pokemon in general.
Hi vanderlylic!
Welcome to the site, even if it's a bit late! :) I played every generation but the first two, starting with Emerald. I found Smogon through Showdown, and my favorite tiers are OU, BH, and Random battles to name a couple. I hang around the OM room, but only watch some of the discussions. Anyway, have fun around the site!

What's up guys. I learned about smogon and competitive battling about a day ago from a shofu video and peaked my interest. So i decided to make an account and learn what this is all about. My pokemon history goes back to when I played pokemon yellow when I was about 5 in 98 and it blew my mind. My desire to play pokemon faded around when diamond came out because it felt like the same thing over and over. I picked up XY when it came out and have yet to finish it because I felt like I was missing something. Turns out that I have missed A LOT and I had no idea how deep pokemon can get. It's kinda mind blowing to find out all of this info yesterday. Hopefully competitive battling will rekindle the flame to play pokemon again.

What's up guys. I learned about smogon and competitive battling about a day ago from a shofu video and peaked my interest. So i decided to make an account and learn what this is all about. My pokemon history goes back to when I played pokemon yellow when I was about 5 in 98 and it blew my mind. My desire to play pokemon faded around when diamond came out because it felt like the same thing over and over. I picked up XY when it came out and have yet to finish it because I felt like I was missing something. Turns out that I have missed A LOT and I had no idea how deep pokemon can get. It's kinda mind blowing to find out all of this info yesterday. Hopefully competitive battling will rekindle the flame to play pokemon again.
Hey I wish you luck on smogon. My real name is Andrew if you want help on a few things I would be glad to help you out.

Thanks Andrew, my main concern right now is learning how stats and things work. I did even know that pokemon had personalities (Natures) lol
I can't help you today I'm just to busy but if you PM (personal message) me I can help out as much as I can.

Hello, hello! I have a lot of experience with competitive battles, but all the hackers on the PSS drove me to start battling on Showdown.

I've been playing Pokemon since I was just a child. My first game ever was Pokemon Yellow Version, which resulted in a lifelong addiction.

My favorite Pokemon is Nidoking. Always has been, always will be. I've owned one of the Nidokings currently residing in my OmegaRuby version for 11 years now.

QueBien

Hello, hello! I have a lot of experience with competitive battles, but all the hackers on the PSS drove me to start battling on Showdown.

I've been playing Pokemon since I was just a child. My first game ever was Pokemon Yellow Version, which resulted in a lifelong addiction.

My favorite Pokemon is Nidoking. Always has been, always will be. I've owned one of the Nidokings currently residing in my OmegaRuby version for 11 years now.
Hey Azureaper!
Nice to meet you! I've been playing since a couple of years ago, mostly casually. My first game was Emerald, and it remains my favorite to this date. My favorite Pokemon is Bisharp, but since I never owned the older games, I don't have any of my original Pokemon in Generation 6. :[ Have fun around the site!

Hey Azureaper!
Nice to meet you! I've been playing since a couple of years ago, mostly casually. My first game was Emerald, and it remains my favorite to this date. My favorite Pokemon is Bisharp, but since I never owned the older games, I don't have any of my original Pokemon in Generation 6. :[ Have fun around the site!
Emerald was great. It was my first experience with Hoenn, and to this day, I still think Ruby and Sapphire were meh compared to Emerald. FireRed happens to be my favorite, with Silver at a close second.

Hey everyone,
I Joined smogon because I can't be bothered to breed for IVs and wanted to do some competitive battling.
The wifi forums can help you with stuff like that. If your really into competitive battling you should do Pokemon showdown. My real name by the way is Andrew. If you need help with a few things let me know.

Hello and pleased to meet you! I'm from South Korea and currently live in United States. I can speak three different languages fluently and they are Japanese, Korean and English. I'm into anime/fantasy related things. Anyway if you want to know more about me feel free to PM me and I'll respond as soon as I can. Other than that have a fantastic day and God bless you ^ ^

Hello and pleased to meet you! I'm from South Korea and currently live in United States. I can speak three different languages fluently and they are Japanese, Korean and English. I'm into anime/fantasy related things. Anyway if you want to know more about me feel free to PM me and I'll respond as soon as I can. Other than that have a fantastic day and God bless you ^ ^
Welcome to smogon I happen to be Korean as well I'm not to fluent in Korean but hey I was born in the U.S.XD. If you want a few things pm me:) have a awesome day.

Sup everyone, I'm Pixilate. Just to give a little taste of who I am: I'm a male who started my Pokemon journey with an old Crystal cartridge and have followed the series progression ever since. I can be found on the OU, UU, and RU ladders on weekends outside of my chaotic life and will seldom play in Other Metagames. I aspire to become a better competitive battler here by learning to further understand EV spreads, become a better team-builder, and meet all the great and amazing people here on Smogon. Outside of Pokemon I am just a stereotypical high school nerd who likes science and playing the Piano.

I found out about Smogon just a little bit before Generation 6 was released and have been using PS ever since I joined as my main source of interaction with fellow Pokemon players.

♚ I can't wait to get started and meet all of you :] ♚

I've been familiar with Smogon since 2012, and have been on Showdown for a month now. I've recently decided to finally create a forum account to get familar with the amazingly dedicated (although occasionally unreasonable) community of Smogon.

Hello everybody, I'm dhhaxmaster/dhblademaster. I used to play on PO, but after a long hiatus, I decided to join Smogon. I use the alt dhblademaster on ps, but I don't have a dedicated channel where I participate in yet. I'm mostly interested in NU and am excited to participate in the community.

QueBien

Hello everybody, I'm dhhaxmaster/dhblademaster. I used to play on PO, but after a long hiatus, I decided to join Smogon. I use the alt dhblademaster on ps, but I don't have a dedicated channel where I participate in yet. I'm mostly interested in NU and am excited to participate in the community.
Hey dhhaxmaster!
Welcome to Smogon! I play Showdown every once in a while, but I'm more involved with Smogon. However, when I do get on Showdown, I hang around the OM room. I have a bunch of tiers I like to battle in, like OU and Random Battles. Where would you like to get involved here? Have fun around the site!
I've been familiar with Smogon since 2012, and have been on Showdown for a month now. I've recently decided to finally create a forum account to get familar with the amazingly dedicated (although occasionally unreasonable) community of Smogon.
Hello Notevenamatuer!
Nice to meet ya! I joined Smogon about a year ago, but only just started getting involved with the forums. Yes, sometimes Smogon can be unreasonable, but the majority of the time (99.99%) it's pretty great! Check out the questions threads if you need help; otherwise, have a good time!
Whats up plebs!
Im Sunchipps, Im mostly in OU ladder or AG Ladder.
Im always on the OU chatroom when I'm online and you'll probably see me around Taken Soulz a lot
Hi Sunchipps!
Welcome to the forums! I play OU a lot compared to the other tiers I play, but I dabble in AG every once in a while. I chill at the Other Metas room, which is an awesome place to be! Visit our Help form or the questions threads if you have any big questions about something. I hope you enjoy your time here!
Sup everyone, I'm Pixilate. Just to give a little taste of who I am: I'm a male who started my Pokemon journey with an old Crystal cartridge and have followed the series progression ever since. I can be found on the OU, UU, and RU ladders on weekends outside of my chaotic life and will seldom play in Other Metagames. I aspire to become a better competitive battler here by learning to further understand EV spreads, become a better team-builder, and meet all the great and amazing people here on Smogon. Outside of Pokemon I am just a stereotypical high school nerd who likes science and playing the Piano.

I found out about Smogon just a little bit before Generation 6 was released and have been using PS ever since I joined as my main source of interaction with fellow Pokemon players.

♚ I can't wait to get started and meet all of you :] ♚
Heya Pixilate!
Great you decided to join! I play almost every tier, but my mains are OU, BH, 1v1, and Random Battles. Here's a great guide to EV spreads if you'd like. The Other Metas room is where you can find me; I love the crowd and the room is an interesting place to hang out in. Have fun exploring the site!

Yo everyone, I'm MoodyCloud / Iggy Stardust, I started to play on PO around the start of the BW era, I learned a lot by reading stuff here and usually play OU which is the tier I'm most comfortable with. I just went back from a long pokemon hiatus and decided to register here, looking forward to play with you guys !

Hey guys! My name is Starl after my first caught pokemon, Starly. I didn't know how to name when I was eight so...lol. My real name is Jessica, though. I came here because I've been recently doing competitive battling, and I'm active on Pokemon Indigo Plateau, a Facebook group that I'm an admin of. (Ice typing is really hard...so don't get me started on that. xD) They use Smogon. Also, I thought it'd be cool to finally be a part of this community that I read a lot of stuff on. My favorite pokemon is Staraptor. :)

Hey everyone! New guy here! I've just recently got into the competitive battling scene, and I'd like to see more of how that works. The only battling I've been doing is in PU because some of my favorite pokes reside there (unfortunately for me).

Yo everyone, I'm MoodyCloud / Iggy Stardust, I started to play on PO around the start of the BW era, I learned a lot by reading stuff here and usually play OU which is the tier I'm most comfortable with. I just went back from a long pokemon hiatus and decided to register here, looking forward to play with you guys !
Welcome to Smogon.
Awesome that you decided to register here, hope you like it on the forums. Since you mostly play OU, feel free to check out the OU subforum. Also if you have any questions you can ask in the questions threads that are on the different subforums.

Hey guys! My name is Starl after my first caught pokemon, Starly. I didn't know how to name when I was eight so...lol. My real name is Jessica, though. I came here because I've been recently doing competitive battling, and I'm active on Pokemon Indigo Plateau, a Facebook group that I'm an admin of. (Ice typing is really hard...so don't get me started on that. xD) They use Smogon. Also, I thought it'd be cool to finally be a part of this community that I read a lot of stuff on. My favorite pokemon is Staraptor. :)
Welcome to Smogon.
The community here is really cool, hope you feel welcome here. I also really like Staraptor, it's just so badass. Being an admin on Indigo Plateau, I would guess you are quite familiar with the competitive scene, so what is your favorite tier? Mine is probably UU, because it has a lot of the pokemon I like to play with.

Hey everyone! New guy here! I've just recently got into the competitive battling scene, and I'd like to see more of how that works. The only battling I've been doing is in PU because some of my favorite pokes reside there (unfortunately for me).
Welcome to Smogon.
Always nice to see new people discover the amazing aspects of compeititive pokemon. Awesome that you like PU, I think it's an awesome tier. Also, if you feel brave, you could try bringing some of your favorite PU pokemon to battles in higher tiers^^. If you have any questions you can ask in the questions threads that are on the different subforums.

Hey guys, I have been here for a long time and... It's a long story and I don't think I will contribute much to the forum because I'm very passive, I don't even play much anymore, I usually just watch battles. I just decided to write here because indroductions are cool, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)