Other Metagames [Inverse Battle] Overlooked [Peaked #1 On Ladder]

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome, One and All

When I Started Other Metagames, I was an extremely bad player, averaging about one win for every nine losses. So, I began to look at the tournament replays, and with that, I figured out threats in the tier and began to build teams around them. At the start, I mained Hackmons, until I got to around the point where the OHKO/Wonder Guard Spam was too much for me and I started going to Balanced Hackmons. From BH, I dipped my toe in STABmons, AAA, Hidden type, Tier Shift [Which I Still Suck at tbh]. ,until I Finally Got Down To Inverse. when I started out, I was pretty bad [Still, everyone’s bad when they start out, unless your w0rd/Jeran] My First Team was Mega Abomasnow/Avalugg/Porygon-Z/Chansey/Malamar/Ninjask. After a while, I realized how many threats the team needed to cover and I took that team and gave it a complete overhaul, and I also changed my main account from CorruptedFlame → OM room.
[Intro Too Long/Descriptive y/y?]

If You have no Idea what Inverse Battles are, There Should be a link to the thread and the Viability Rankings below.
Link---> www.smogon.com/forums/threads/inverse-battle.3518146/ <---Link
Link---> www.smogon.com/forums/threads/inverse-battle-viability-rankings.3526371/ <---Link

The Process.

So, first we go with the Complete Overhaul of the team.
Mega:

Due to Ninjask just being terrible, I dropped it off the team first, finding a quick replacement with Pinsir, which I planned to mega evolve, but didn’t know what to replace Mega Abomasnow with.
Mega:

Malamar, was extremely underwhelming, so i needed to find something to replace its role as the frail physical sweeper of my team, which I felt Breloom fit rather well since grass type is one of the best types in the current metagame, and it’s secondary fighting type is super effective against the only other type that still has a chance of fighting for the top spot in inverse, Psychic.
Mega:

Mega Abomasnow, even though it’s an amazing mega evolution in inverse, I felt it was a bit lacking with it’s low speed, and opted to find another powerful sweeper and after a few matches on the ladder, I faced a normal type team, and was then completely swept by a Meloetta, and I chose to replace Mega Abomasnow with that complete powerhouse, and I was finally able to Mega Evolve Pinsir. (In Short, Mega Abomasnow → Meloetta)
Mega:

Porygon-Z was a bit harder to recreate, but after replacing Mega Abomasnow with Meloetta,I decided for something way different, and more stallish picking a stall pokemon, Gothitelle.
Mega:

After realizing how long my matches would take, which was just time I don’t have.
I went for a more Balanced sweep stopper, Wobbuffet, opting for the more underused Shadow Tagger to take out Opponent’s win conditions and such.
Mega:

After That I had 2 More Changes to go, The first of which was that I changed Mega Pinsir to Mega Beedrill. This change was simply because my team was just too weak to landorus, and I needed something to outspeed and check it.
Mega:

The next, and final change was to change Breloom to Feraligatr. Its Water Typing was amazing against the grass type pokemon my team fears and I desperately needed that.
Mega:

Alright, Now that i’m done with this rather long section, onto the tea-
Oh. Wait a minute...
Mega:

Due to the Shadow Tag Ban, I've had to find a new member for the team to replace wobbuffet..
and while getting imas234 to start an Inverse Battle Tour, then went for the plain old Porygon2
and oh god I loved it. It helped the team so much with speed control, so finally, onto the team...

The Team

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Mega Beedrill is probably one of the best checks to some of the most offensive pokemon in the meta, like Mega Lopunny and Meloetta, however the problem is that it has to pick and choose what threats it as to kill, as it can’t take on both of them in one match without healing. The main reason I chose Mega Beedrill over Mega Pinsir was due to the fact that my team [While Breloom was still in it] was insanely weak to ground types and Mega beedrill not only outspeeds, it OHKOs with Poison Jab. It also provides pretty good momentum to the team, and a fast u-turn is used to get out of there and send in a counter. Jolly Nature is used to outspeed Scarfed base eighties, and Mega Beedrill reliably outspeeds and OHKOs scarfed Hoopa-U by an almighty one base point.

Protect is used to scout and make sure it get’s a safe mega evolution, as well as help check mega lopunny. I Use Drill Run > Knock Off because it punishes Grass type switch-ins.

Landorus-I, Mega Lopunny, Meloetta, Hoopa-U, Giratina-A, Staraptor, Greninja, Gengar, Chatot.

Priority Moves, Choice Scarfed base 81’s and over.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Recover
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt/Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
Porygon2 is here. As my replacement to wobbuffet, P2 has come in to bulk and Counter/Check. Honestly this thing beats a lot in the metagame, although Ghost types/Ghost type coverage scare it, Chanslugg is there.
This also helps with speed control which is insanely helpful for the team, the IV's are for foul play,

Onto the move reasoning, Recover is obligatory for healing, Tri Attack is it's Main STAB, Thunderbolt allows it to lessen the pressure on Feraligatr for Grass Type Support, Although Ice Beam is helpful for OHKOing Avalugg and dealing with water types. Thunder Wave is there for more speed control, which this team desperately needs. I've Split up EVs because I'm insanely indecisive, and Idgaf about SpA investment.
Also Normal type is amazing in Inverse.

Grass Types, Avalugg, Abomasnow-M.

Breloom...?,

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower/Aqua Jet

God, this thing is powerful, Taking chunks out of most walls at +2, Even 2HKOing Avalugg with Ice Punch. Feraligatr is just the spike wall that keeps grass types from completely bulldozing my team into the abyss. Not only does it blanket check most grass types, it forces out Mega abomasnow if it gets the free switch-in, and OHKOs mega Sceptile. As explained above, Ice punch was used to hit Avalugg, Waterfall to hit most Grass types. Now, onto Superpower, this move hits every relevant Psychic type in the game, hitting the Anti-Meta Gothitelle Extremely Hard, almost OHKOing it without Life orb.

252+ Atk Feraligatr Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 260-306 (75.5 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you couldn’t tell [because you probably can’t], I really, REALLY, don’t like that thing.

Aqua Jet can also be used as an option for a bit of Speed control.
Most Grass Types, Gothitelle, Dragon Types, Giratina-A.

Ice Types, Water Types, Meloetta, Mega Lopunny, Steel Types, Mega Medicham.

Avalugg @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet/Shed shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin/Roar
- Avalanche

Of course, since this is Inverse, there is going to be the ChansLugg team in the core. Avalanche is used as Avalugg Main STAB, not hitting much, but punishes most physical attackers, like Mega Beedrill, or pokemon that switch in from the U-turn. Sturdy is used, because it's Avalugg's best ability

Recover is used for instant healing and Toxic is used to break sturdy and stall for longer amounts of times. Now the third moveslot always depends on the Item Avalugg uses, if you’re using Leftovers/Rocky Helmet you might want to use roar, because Gothitelle is a damn troll. If you’re running Shed Shell, Rapid Spin is probably the best option because wobbuffet deserves some sort of hazard support. Also, Rapid Spin has Recommended use because there's no such thing as spinblocking.

Most Non-Mixed Physical Attackers, Mega Lopunny

Mixed Physical Attackers, Special Attackers, Status, Fake Out + Special Move.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Meet the Best Special Wallbreaker in the Entire Tier. Normal/Psychic Typing is just amazing in the metagame, hitting everything either neutrally or Super Effectively. Substitute is used for absorbing hits and ensuring a free Calm Mind boost.

Calm Mind is used for basic boosting, because Meloetta is outright terrifying at plus One. Hyper Voice is used as one of it’s main STABs hitting a ton of things, and punishing avalugg and Psyshock is used to break through Chansey and Other Special Walls. If you couldn’t tell, Meloetta is used to decimate the ChansLugg Core. Again, the 0 Atk IV’s are used for Foul Play. The EV spread allows meloetta to not have it's substitute broken by one Seismic toss from chansey, but still outspeed a lot of pokemon in the tier.

Rock Types, Steel Types, Slower Psychic Types that can't take a hit, Ghost Types, Dark Types

Powerful Sweepers/Wallbreakers that Outspeed it, Bulky psychic Types.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect/Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is used because my team lacks a way to combat Pure Special Attackers otherwise.

This is just it’s Basic Cleric set, which again, hates Gothitelle. Wish makes sure that it has some way to support the team, healing up wobbuffet if it actually tanks hits, and Beedrill if i really need to check mega lop AND Meloetta, but usually I don’t. Protect is used for scouting and making sure I get a free heal in. Toxic is used for all around stalling and makes sure that I don’t have to keep on spamming Seismic Toss. Seismic Toss, is chansey’s only way of having an offensive presence and allows it to get some chip damage on offense. As another Option, you can also run soft-boiled because screw fifty-fifties.

Most Non-Mixed Special Attackers, Walls with no offensive presence

Physical Attackers, anything carrying Psyshock, Keldeo, Mixed Special Attackers

Threatlist
Genesect: This Threatens My Team So Hard with it's varied moveset, and it's really hard to actually predict. If I get a good prediction, it's usually dead.
Hoopa-Unbound: If Mega Beedrill is dead, this screws my team over.
Gothitelle: If it sets up on Chansey, or Feraligatr faints, I can't exactly check it.
Landorus-I: If Mega Beedrill Dies, The only way to kill it would be to set up with meloetta or superpower it on the switch with feraligatr.
Grass Types: These Trample my team over once Feraligatr Dies.
Meloetta: My Meloetta outspeeds and has a chance to OHKO, but Mega beedrill always checks it.
Mega Lopunny: Avalugg and Beedrill Fainted? Welp, you're screwed.
Mega Medicham: See Mega Lopunny, except it hits harder, but it's slower.

Importable
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Roar
- Avalanche

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Proof Of Peak

Replays

Changes:
I'd Like to Thank Megazard for the extra item on wobbuffet, the Custap Berry.
Also thanking Motherlove for softboiled on chansey, Meloetta's HP EVs and Wobbuffet's EVs
Even More Thanks to Kl@ng for being helpful and for safeguard on wobbuffet, Meloetta's other EV's and Aqua Jet on Feraligatr

Former Members:

Wobbuffet @ Focus Sash/Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond/Safeguard
- Encore
Meet the Original Tagger, Wobbuffet. Whilst it may not be the best one, Wobbuffet blanket checks a lot of things that sets up and sweep because Focus Sash is good on wobbuffet. It does need a lot of Rapid Spin/Defog support, which Avalugg usually provides. When wobbuffet is down to one HP, Destiny Bond is usually used there, but encore could be used for revenge killers. Meanwhile, Counter and Mirror Coat are just there because otherwise wobbuffet is useless. The IV’s are just because of Foul Play, Nothing More. You Could Also Use Custap Berry, as wobbuffet IS pretty bulky, and the priority Destiny Bond/Encore is pretty good. The reason I use Focus Sash on Wobbuffet is because it also helps to check gothitelle and Meloetta. Kl@ng has also reccomended to use Safeguard/encore combo for Stall Teams, and I can't object to that not helping, but the moveslots are all up to you.

Death By Shadow Tag Ban. ;~;

As with all teams, this one does have it's flaws and would love a little bit of input from people who know the metagame! Chopin Alkaninoff is OP, Please Nerf.

Edit: It's Back to being Usable Guys.
Sorry if the RMT is bad, it's my first one... >_<
Mfw It also Coincides with One Hundred Posts.

Good Luck to everyone who's using the team, and I hope it does you well!

The End.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man. I don't play inverse but this just stood out to me. Do you really use focus sash that much? Wobb is incredibly bulky and is only weak to fighting and psychic off the top of my head. Since you don't give any reasoning in the rmt, why not try a more traditional option like custap or sitrus?

OM

It's a starstruck world
Hey man. I don't play inverse but this just stood out to me. Do you really use focus sash that much? Wobb is incredibly bulky and is only weak to fighting and psychic off the top of my head. Since you don't give any reasoning in the rmt, why not try a more traditional option like custap or sitrus?
Actually the Focus Sash is insanely useful, as otherwise I have no check for Most set up sweepers, like DDance Dnite, or HJK MLop.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah but neither of those can KO after stealth rock (even +2 dnite) with a physically defensive set and wobb can freely encore on the outrage then custap dbond if you're worried about losing the 50/50. Seeing as the majority of your threatlist is 1. Physical 2. All out attackers and 3. Threatens you unless you land a surprise KO like predicting lando with superpower gatr, it just sounds like a better overall fit. Not to mention Chansey already covers a good amount of special attacks in general. Custap is rarely useless

OM

It's a starstruck world
Yeah but neither of those can KO after stealth rock (even +2 dnite) with a physically defensive set and wobb can freely encore on the outrage then custap dbond if you're worried about losing the 50/50. Seeing as the majority of your threatlist is 1. Physical 2. All out attackers and 3. Threatens you unless you land a surprise KO like predicting lando with superpower gatr, it just sounds like a better overall fit. Not to mention Chansey already covers a good amount of special attacks in general. Custap is rarely useless
Alright, I'll test it out soon and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
I know I'm Double posting but it's my thread >_<
Anyways, I've made a few changes on wobbuffet, I've changed it's EV spread, and slashed the custap berry with Focus sash, giving a slight reccomendation. I'm about to give an extra reason for focus sash, so see that up soon.

Oh and I've put the thanks in the Changes menu

Reactions: MZ
Yo, a few things I'd like to point out.
Wobb has high hp and low defenses so it usually prefers 4 HP / 252+ Def / 252 Spd or something like that.
Meloetta hits 404 HP fully invested meaning seismic toss can't break the sub, you might want to try it out since you can easily set up on chansey then. Also gives you an easier time against porygon2 and shit like that.
Running softboiled instead of protect on chansey is often a good option. Instant healing can save you some 50/50s against set up sweepers or just giving a free switch to other mons. Wish / softboiled does essentially the same thing as wish / protect.

That's about all I can think of, great team.

OM

It's a starstruck world
Wobb has high hp and low defenses so it usually prefers 4 HP / 252+ Def / 252 Spd or something like that.
Meloetta hits 404 HP fully invested meaning seismic toss can't break the sub, you might want to try it out since you can easily set up on chansey then. Also gives you an easier time against porygon2 and shit like that.
Running softboiled instead of protect on chansey is often a good option. Instant healing can save you some 50/50s against set up sweepers or just giving a free switch to other mons. Wish / softboiled does essentially the same thing as wish / protect.

Thanks for the rate :D

Anyways, I actually like all the changes you've suggested here, so I plan to implement them in the next day or so.

OM

It's a starstruck world

Again with the Double Postings >_<

Just like before, I've added your changes into the RMT, and gave the thanks in the Changes menu

Nice team!

There are a few things I can suggest that in my opinion could help improve this team. Feraligatr I think would be better off running Aqua Jet instead of Superpower, as while this does sacrifice coverage against Ground-types, it makes Feraligatr far more dangerous against offensive teams. Aqua Jet also supports your team better overall, since it currently lacks priority and is very reliant on Beedrill for speed control. Waterfall is still enough to 2HKO Gothitelle which means it will still be very scared of Feraligatr regardless, and the lack of coverage against Ground-types is not as bad as it seems considering the metagame's most common Ground-type (Landorus) beats Feraligatr regardless since it outspeeds and KOs with Earth Power, and the next two common Ground-types (Mamoswine and Rhyperior) resist Superpower anyway.

I would also advise running some Speed on Meloetta to facilitate sweeping. I've had great success with a 252 HP / 68+ SpA / 188 Spe that allows you to outspeed everything up to max speed Jolly Breloom and Hyper Voice that fucker before it can Bullet Seed your sub. With 68 EVs and a Modest nature, you keep considerable power as well. The extra speed also insures that you outspeed all non-Scarf variants of Gothitelle.

Finally, I think that Wobbuffet would be much more effective using Safeguard over Destiny Bond. Not only does this allow you to run Leftovers over Custap Berry for longevity, but it also allows you to nab a free turn for you to set-up on the opponent with either Feraligatr or Meloetta using the tactic demonstrated in the following replay when Wobbuffet comes in on Avalugg or Chansey: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/inversebattle-239880522

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
Nice team!

There are a few things I can suggest that in my opinion could help improve this team. Feraligatr I think would be better off running Aqua Jet instead of Superpower, as while this does sacrifice coverage against Ground-types, it makes Feraligatr far more dangerous against offensive teams. Aqua Jet also supports your team better overall, since it currently lacks priority and is very reliant on Beedrill for speed control. Waterfall is still enough to 2HKO Gothitelle which means it will still be very scared of Feraligatr regardless, and the lack of coverage against Ground-types is not as bad as it seems considering the metagame's most common Ground-type (Landorus) beats Feraligatr regardless since it outspeeds and KOs with Earth Power, and the next two common Ground-types (Mamoswine and Rhyperior) resist Superpower anyway.

I would also advise running some Speed on Meloetta to facilitate sweeping. I've had great success with a 252 HP / 68+ SpA / 188 Spe that allows you to outspeed everything up to max speed Jolly Breloom and Hyper Voice that fucker before it can Bullet Seed your sub. With 68 EVs and a Modest nature, you keep considerable power as well. The extra speed also insures that you outspeed all non-Scarf variants of Gothitelle.

Finally, I think that Wobbuffet would be much more effective using Safeguard over Destiny Bond. Not only does this allow you to run Leftovers over Custap Berry for longevity, but it also allows you to nab a free turn for you to set-up on the opponent with either Feraligatr or Meloetta using the tactic demonstrated in the following replay when Wobbuffet comes in on Avalugg or Chansey: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/inversebattle-239880522
Ayyy More Rates :D I'll Finally be able to beat chopin's team

I have been debating using aqua jet > Superpower for a while now, so that's def being tested.
I'll test out the other changes you mentioned, if I feel like they work they'll be up within a week.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
Ayyy More Rates :D I'll Finally be able to beat chopin's team

I have been debating using aqua jet > Superpower for a while now, so that's def being tested.
I'll test out the other changes you mentioned, if I feel like they work they'll be up within a week.
I've Edited in the Changes btw.
Totally Not Hoping this is my last Double Post...

But Just an Update, I've added Kl4ng's changes in, gave thanks in the menu and edited the formatting of the RMT a bit.

Also, it's honestly terrible to face your own team, and have people claiming it as theirs ;;

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)