1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Programming iPhone/iTouch users: Is Dex enough?

Discussion in 'Technical Projects' started by AlphaWolf, May 18, 2011.

1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Hi,
    I've been a Pokemon fan and iPhone user for a while (Still on an iPhone 3G), and I've also wanted a good Pokemon App for a while.
    My question to you is: Do you think Dex - The Pokemon Browser is enough? I feel it doesn't quite fit the slot for my needs, if you know what I mean. It's missing a few key features, and some stuff us "hardcore" players miss out on (Such as movesets etc).
    I would like some others opinions on this.
    I know it's free, but if a much better one game out, would you fork out 59p/99¢ for it?
    Looking forward to everyones options,
    Joseph Duffy
    P.S Not sure where this belongs, so put it in Programming for now. I'm not asking anyone to make one, it's a big project, writing out all of that information :)
  2. NixHex

NixHex No excuses
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

There was someone working on a Smogon iPhone app but he has scrapped the project. As far as "all of that information" I believe there is a way to sync current analyses from the site every time you start the app up (if you have internet access), so if there's any changes the program doesn't have to be edited itself. It still is a big project...
  3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I was actually thinking about more features such as itemdex/movelists (Levels they learn the moves etc), what EVs they give... But the Smogon movesets could be a good idea, maybe something that could be implemented later.
    Have you tried Dex? Would you pay for a better version with more features?
  4. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

A smogon app would be cool. Would download.

With that said, it should be a free app. The information is available free on the website, and I can say I probably wouldn't pay money for it. It would also be taking the work given to the site free and charging money for it, which is morally wrong, so even if it was really cool and had tons of new info and was really really convenient I still probably wouldn't pay any money for it.

As far as dex... I don't have it, but from what I've seen from friends you can't really do anything competitive related on it. However, smogon.com is a click and a tap away from anywhere on the iDevice, so I don't see it as hugely necessary.

Would be very cool but it's not needed and I would not spend money on it.

Posted this from my iPod

edit: I thought the entire point of this was the movesets and the articles...
  5. TorchicBlaziken

TorchicBlaziken

It has links to Smogon articles so it might be quicker than Googling.
  6. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I know movesets and other smogon things should be free. However, things like an IV calc, level up/TM move list info, itemdex could be paid? I was thinking a normal pokedex (With descriptions from all the games, info from various generations etc), plus smogon features might be worth while.
    I'm think lite version (With ads and slightly less features) and a 59p full version might work out?
    Posted from me iPad :)
  7. TechnoGuy

TechnoGuy

an iphone app for smogon move sets,and 5th gen stuff would be sweet, avilable on Cydia or the appstore, either would be awesome.
  8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

So, what's the general opinion for this summary:
    Lite Version (Free)
    - Dex entries with movesets (Pulled from Smogon)
    - Dex entries with movelists (Level up TMs etc) for Gen 4&5
    - Has adverts at bottom (Need to make some money :P)
    - More features later on

Paid Version (59p)
    - No adverts
    - Itemdex
    - Dex entries go all the way back to Gen 1
    - IV/EV Checker
    - Pokemon "layout". Let's you virtually create a Pokemon and it's movesets/held items on the go. (Would anyone use this?)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, would love to maybe do this :)
  9. coolking49

coolking49

Who would get the money from the app? Smogon is a free site. I wouldnt bother buying an app when I could wait until I get home and use the internet. Adverts, OK, but the one time cost in making the app isnt exactly too much for us to buy. That being said, a free version would be awesome. Im pretty sure we can put the names of pokemon in the app as long as we dont claim the names.
  10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

My initial idea wasn't to include Smogon, but something with more and better features than Dex currently has. However, I see I should include smog on now (Maybe I can work with someone to make this happen?)
    I don't want to charge for something you can get for free, but I do want to do this as a serious process, and hopefully make some money from it.
    I know this is in "Contributions and Corrections", but I was planning on this being a solo project, so the money would go to me.
    Although, I would like to stress that features you can easily get on the internet would be free, only the odd extra feature that would be charged for.
    If it feels like this should be more of a community project, then it may go that way, but I'll be honest, I wanted to get a project for myself to pay my way through my upcoming university life :)
    I hope everyone can see what I mean. Again, opinions on any of these matters would be much appreciated :D
  11. Fire Blast

Fire Blast

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I like the idea of making this a Smogon App, rather than a general Pokemon App :) I'd also like to make it myself, if that's ok. If anyone wants to help, that's fine by me, but I'd like this to be my first full iOS project :)
    I however, don't think "recovering" and old project would work great, I think it would need to start from scratch so it can written in coding styles of those writing it with out own comments etc.
    I guess making it free, but with adverts, and then an option to pay to remove them would be Ok, but no "full" or "lite" versions? Either that or a donate button.
    This then would have issues with who received any money made by it (Should it be made by multiple people), but we can figure this out :)
    I really want to make this, so if anyone wants to help or has any suggestions as to what to do, then maybe send me a PM so we can talk?
  13. TechnoGuy

TechnoGuy

yeah, not liking the idea of paying.
  14. DanLite

DanLite

Right now I'm working on a simple Pokémon iOS app that has a small amount of overlap with this project. Reading this thread had me look over the code I had begun to write for the "SmogonDex" app... some of it could be helpful if you'd like to take on the task. I have more free time than usual these days, so I'd be happy to discuss or help out with development of this app.
  15. chiizu

chiizu PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
    is a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcher

I don't want to side track the discussion here, but I think it's relevant.

What was the outcome of the issues Nintendo had with your Pokedex app (assuming you are able to speak about it)? I followed a link from your web page to the app store (on my iPhone, even) and it came up with nothing. It would be informative for the others here to know whether getting accepted by the app store is a reasonable expectation and/or what they should keep in mind when developing in order to avoid being rejected.
  16. DanLite

DanLite

Totally relevant. One of the reasons I left development of the SmogonDex to the wayside is because of the problem Nintendo had with my Pokedex app, so I'd recommend anyone taking this on to consider the possibility of rejection or removal from the App Store. Here are a collection of my thoughts:

The first barrier is acceptance of the app by Apple into the App Store. From what I've seen, this is not a problem area. Apple will generally let in apps that may infringe on 3rd parties' content.

Where the conflict came was 10 months after the release of my Pokédex app. Nintendo came across it (in whatever way) and believed it infringed on their copyright. This was true. After all, I was using sprites from the games as well as names of characters, attacks, and places. Even the name of the app had "Pokédex" in it. Nintendo contacted Apple saying, "Hey, an app on your store is infringing on our stuff. Do something about that." Apple then contacted me, "Hey, your app infringes on Nintendo's stuff. Talk to them and assure us it doesn't, or your app will be removed."

Instead of modifying the app to make it "infringe less" (e.g. by removing all the Pokémon sprites), I just decided to take it down to avoid any hassle. It's hard to tell what exactly triggered Nintendo to flag my app, though one reason could've been the use of game sprites. I also noticed a competing Pokédex app get taken down within a month or so of mine. Yet, there are still Pokédex apps (ranging from garbage to adequate) from the same year which are still available today.

Lastly, here are some quotes from Nintendo Anti-Piracy's response to my appeal (plea?):
    Summary: The app will probably be accepted by Apple. Using Nintendo's trademarks and copyrights will be grounds for Nintendo to have it removed. That may or may not happen.
  17. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Well, here's my summary on the current situation:
    Jungle Boy, thank you for your replies. If you still have the original code, it would be great to work with you on it (Since I can ask you what/why each bit does if I need to, rather than having to interpret it myself).
    The copyright thing might actually work out Ok. I know of at least 2 developers that have run across copyright infringement. Both were premium (paid) apps, and both simply added adverts and made the app free, eventually with an option to remove them for a fee. One was based around pokemon (Nintendo) and the other XBl (Microsoft). Both are still going strong today.
    If the app was very simple for the first version (Simple Smogon features, not much more), was free but contained adverts, and released,we could at least see the full scale of the interest? After we add more updates with more advanced things, hopefully not flagging up copyright issues, since we're not "selling" it, it's free. We'll put all the right (c) Nintendo etc, it's kind of like Smogon or any other Pokemon fan site :)
    I really hope we can figure something out with this, it's something I've wanted for a while!
  18. Ceielo

Ceielo

There's an iPhone / iPod App called iPokedex which I have been using for a while that I love. It's on the App Store and it's free. Last I checked, it only went up to 4th Gen but there's an update to it, so once it's done downloading and I sync it, I'll let you know if it has 5th Gen stuff in it.
  19. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

@above, I downloaded that as well and it has just about everything about pokemon you could want. All it lacks is an IV calculator and obviously Smogon sets/inof/stuff being unaffiliated with us. That aside it is an amazing resource, especially for breeding.

Also, it does include every gen from 1 to 5.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)