ORAS NU iplaytrickroomlol

Introduction
Whats up frens its iplaytennislol here. Today I have a really cool Trick Room team that I would like to share with you guys. I think Trick Room is a very cool and underrated playstyle so I hope that after reading this RMT, you are excited to maybe use more Trick Room in the future. Now lets get onto the team.

The Lord Squad

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
Carbink is the dedicated lead for this team. If my opponent leads with a mon that may carry taunt, I will click magic coat to bounce that right back. I will usually go for rocks turn 2 unless they have a Xatu. If I know Carbink is going to get 2 hit ko'd when I lead with it, I will click Trick Room turn 1, then get up rocks. The custap berry, assuming I'm in range for it to activate, is there to help me get rocks or explode before my opponent can spin or defog. Going boom also gives me all the momentum. Yum.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Eruption
Mega Camerupt is the MVP of this team as it just tears apart teams that lack a Hariyama, and even that is 3 hit ko'd by earth power. Mantine is 2 hit ko'd by hp electric and fails to ohko with scald. Predict the switch in once and its a snack wrap. Eruption is there because sometimes I'm too much of a woman to risk fire blast. Camerupt also switches in on Mawile which would otherwise pose a threat.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Mawile is a really cool mon that NU got recently. It has massive power because of sheer force and life orb as well as two strong STAB moves plus priority. Everyone complains that Mawile is incredibly frail so I thought I would give it max hp to give it extra bulk and throw it on a Trick Room team. Mawile is my one flying and normal resist for the team which is another reason why it was added. Mawile also rips apart Hariyama which helps Mega Camerupt as well as dent any mons that aren't physically defensive.

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
Vileplume is a huge threat with a plus special attack nature and a life orb. It hits incredibly hard and has access to perfect neutral coverage. The set is fairly standard except for substitute. I added sub as it gave me a way to beat Mawile's that liked to lead versus my Carbink and start SD'ing immediately. No one expects sub obviously so i can click that then kill them with hp fire. Hp fire also lets me hit Ferroseed which helps out Exeggutor. Vileplume also helps absorb t-spikes which would otherwise hurt this team.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Sleep Powder
Exeggutor was added too as a strong switch in to banded Sawk's CC's as well as provide another Trick Room setter. This mon is fantastic at dismantling teams and setting up Trick Room. Say you have one more turn of Trick Room left, simply put your opponent to sleep, then get Trick Room right back up. Exeggutor also helps me with offensive water types as I can chew an ice beam and kill them with giga drain or set up Trick Room.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Healing Wish
- Yawn​

Shoutout to Soulgazer for this Audino moveset. I knew I wanted a bulky Trick Room setter and Audino does this job swimmingly. Soulgazer recommended encore and yawn as a way to always keep up momentum. Audino can reliably set up Trick Room and healing wish one of my sweepers if they get low. Audino can also live a plus 1 waterfall from Feraligatr 88% of the time however I am reluctant to change the ev spread to handle gatr better as it will leave NU soon and I need Audino to chew specs Eruptions.

Conclusion

This team is incredibly fun because it is so easy to use. You may have to predict a bit because your opponent will try to switch around in order to stall Trick Room. Here are some common switch ins to the threats on the team:

Mega Camerupt - Hariyama, Mantine ( 2 hit ko'd by hp electric)
Mawile- Rhydon ( Iron head hurts a lot), Mega Camerupt, Quagsire
Vileplume- Xatu ( gets 2 hit ko'd by sludge bomb easily), Ferroseed
Exeggutor- Xatu, Ferroseed (they may expect hp fire but obviously i dont carry it)

I added this list in order to help you understand what is going to most commonly switch in on these threats so you can predict around it. Thanks for the read frens, here is the importable.
Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Eruption

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Healing Wish
- Yawn

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Sleep Powder

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Also quick shoutout to Raseri for giving me the name of this RMT :]

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Nerd. :]

This is basically as good as TR will be (best mons in the tier that aboose the room).
Really a cool/good place to start when thinking about the playstyle.

Good job man, and cool RMT. :S

Hey Tennis, lovin the trick room :).

I've used trick room alot during oras especially with threats like mawile and camel. Something that I really struggled with was fire types- everytime a typh of opposing camel came in after trick room ends you have to sack a mon. So I recommend running av yama instead of plume or eggy. Helps to act as a pivot for those annoying fire types and keeps ups the offensive momentum. Good stuff bud :)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
This is dangerously close to having too little explanation per Pokemon and getting locked, but w/e.

Cool team! I'm a bit disappointed you aren't using SunnyRoom with Heat Rock Sunny Day on that Carbink, but that might be too much to try and set up. I'm terrible at team rating, and even worse at playing, but there's no real reason to have Eruption on M-rupt when SF Fire Blast hits harder, lol. Substitute > Eruption would probably work a shit ton better; and hell, if you're just scared of missing and want a reliable fire move, even SF Flamethrower hits as hard as Eruption after Rocks.

tl;dr, suck it up and grow a pair with Camerupt. Also you seriously, seriously might want to expand on the descriptions on some of the mons, as this is close to not being enough. :)

This is dangerously close to having too little explanation per Pokemon and getting locked, but w/e.

Cool team! I'm a bit disappointed you aren't using SunnyRoom with Heat Rock Sunny Day on that Carbink, but that might be too much to try and set up. I'm terrible at team rating, and even worse at playing, but there's no real reason to have Eruption on M-rupt when SF Fire Blast hits harder, lol. Substitute would probably work a shit ton better; and hell, if you're just scared of missing and want a reliable fire move, even SF Flamethrower hits as hard as Eruption after Rocks, lol.

tl;dr, suck it up and grow a pair with Camerupt. Also you seriously, seriously might want to expand on the descriptions on some of the mons, as this is close to not being enough. :)
thanks for the tip fren, im on it now

Hey Tennis, lovin the trick room :).

I've used trick room alot during oras especially with threats like mawile and camel. Something that I really struggled with was fire types- everytime a typh of opposing camel came in after trick room ends you have to sack a mon. So I recommend running av yama instead of plume or eggy. Helps to act as a pivot for those annoying fire types and keeps ups the offensive momentum. Good stuff bud :)
Thanks for the advice buddy, i honestly dont know if i can change anything around. Eggy is great at setting up trick room and tearing thru teams. And i need plume to absorb t-spikes otherwise im in a terrible position the entire game. If a specs typh comes in when trick room runs out, i'll just have to make an educated decision about what to sack. Thanks for the tip tho n_n

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with CanadianWifier on the whole eruption thing but not to be replaced with sub. Eruption on average only does 3 percent more than fire blast and if you're running it because your'e worried about missing Fire Blast then put on Flamethrower and change the Cameruptite to a pair of balls. What I would suggest is Flash Cannon > Eruption. Hidden Power Electric doesn't kill max HP Archeops after rocks and you wouldn't want to have sack a powerful mon to an aqua tail or have to switch out and waste a turn of trick room. Flash Cannon kills max HP Archeops and I find eruption to be pretty useless tbh. Either was great team, man.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with CanadianWifier on the whole eruption thing but not to be replaced with sub. Eruption on average only does 3 percent more than fire blast and if you're running it because your'e worried about missing Fire Blast then put on flamethrower and change the Cameruptite to a pair of balls. What I would suggest is Flash Cannon > Eruption. Hidden Power Electric doesn't kill max HP Archeops after rocks and you wouldn't want to have sack a powerful mon to an aqua tail or have to switch out and waste a turn of trick room. Flash Cannon kills max HP Archeops and I find eruption to be pretty useless tbh. Either was great team, man.
Sounds like a good idea fren. Thanks for the rate n_n

Why are you running Chlorophyll on Exeggutor if this is a Trick Room team? Wouldn't Harvest be a better option, or is Harvest illegal with one of the moves Exeggutor is running? Chlorophyll is really counterproductive on a Trick Room team.

Why are you running Chlorophyll on Exeggutor if this is a Trick Room team? Wouldn't Harvest be a better option, or is Harvest illegal with one of the moves Exeggutor is running? Chlorophyll is really counterproductive on a Trick Room team.
totally my fault, i just changed it. Thanks for catching the mistake

Alright bro, from what I can see we are trying to achieve a trick room sweep. You have done really well to manage trick room in NU as its not the most reliable strategy; so props to you on that. Generally, its not really a good idea to waste precious trick room turns on moves like Substitute. No offense but I don't really like Vileplume on this team. While it has strong neutral coverage vs a lot of the meta, as it struggles to break through common things like Garbodor. Vileplume and Exeggcutor really do a same thing; which is good to an extent as they weaken each others common checks. But they stack a big weakness to very common types in the tier. So I'd replace Vileplume with Flame Orb Ursaring. Flame orb over Toxic orb for less residual damage over a long time as you're wallbreaking most of the time. Also Harvest > Cholrophyll lol. Also don't forget 0 speed IVs on all of your team lol.

Inb4 mod goes, you need 3 or more lines of description!!!

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
IVs: NaN Spe
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Alright bro, from what I can see we are trying to achieve a trick room sweep. You have done really well to manage trick room in NU as its not the most reliable strategy; so props to you on that. Generally, its not really a good idea to waste precious trick room turns on moves like Substitute. No offense but I don't really like Vileplume on this team. While it has strong neutral coverage vs a lot of the meta, as it struggles to break through common things like Garbodor. Vileplume and Exeggcutor really do a same thing; which is good to an extent as they weaken each others common checks. But they stack a big weakness to very common types in the tier. So I'd replace Vileplume with Flame Orb Ursaring. Flame orb over Toxic orb for less residual damage over a long time as you're wallbreaking most of the time. Also Harvest > Cholrophyll lol. Also don't forget 0 speed IVs on all of your team lol.

Inb4 mod goes, you need 3 or more lines of description!!!

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
IVs: NaN Spe
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Earthquake
thanks for the rate. Ursaring is very cool however you are missing the reasons why vileplume is important. Toxic Spikes are incredibly threatening which is why vileplume was added. Also, sub is there to avoid sucker punches from mawile. I noted that it is a huge threat if it starts SD'ing turn 1 against carbink.

thanks for the rate. Ursaring is very cool however you are missing the reasons why vileplume is important. Toxic Spikes are incredibly threatening which is why vileplume was added. Also, sub is there to avoid sucker punches from mawile. I noted that it is a huge threat if it starts SD'ing turn 1 against carbink.
Tbh T-spikes won't affect your team too much.

Carbink- Suicide lead, doesn't care. Can even Magic Coat.
Mawile- Made of Steel.
Ursaring- Loves T-spikes.
Exegccutor- Has recovery.
Audino- Has recovery, also a trick room setter
Camerupt- The only thing affected by T-spikes.

The scenario you mentioned is incredibly easy to play.

Turn 1:
He SDs.
You set up trick room.

Turn 2
You outspeed and Explode.
Doesn't matter what he does.

Turn 3:
Go to mawile and click Iron head.

Explosion damage + Iron head easily kills it.

Tbh T-spikes won't affect your team too much.

Carbink- Suicide lead, doesn't care. Can even Magic Coat.
Mawile- Made of Steel.
Ursaring- Loves T-spikes.
Exegccutor- Has recovery.
Audino- Has recovery, also a trick room setter
Camerupt- The only thing affected by T-spikes.

The scenario you mentioned is incredibly easy to play.

Turn 1:
He SDs.
You set up trick room.

Turn 2
You outspeed and Explode.
Doesn't matter what he does.

Turn 3:
Go to mawile and click Iron head.

Explosion damage + Iron head easily kills it.
I see what you're saying man and i appreciate the advice. I guess the reason im so paranoid about t-spikes is they put a lot more pressure on predicting with camerupt because it will singlehandedly win games if i predict right. I will definitely consider ursaring over vileplume. Thanks again n_n

Lead Carbink/4 Attacks Mega Camerupt/SitrusRoom Eggy/SD Mawile/Sub Vileplume/TR Audino

Hey Tennis, cool team here it's a great representation of what Trick Room should look like in the current metagame. One thing however that your team is incredibly weak to is opposing Mega Camerupt, as if it gets a free switch-in while trick room is up you're forced to sack a mon. To help remedy this, I would reccomend running AV Hariyama > Vileplume. As others have stated, you aren't really as weak to T-Spikes as you try and make out to be due to the fact that eggy has recovery and mawile is unaffected + the fact that you have healing wish. Unfortunately, you're also still weak to Mawile so I suggest a spread of 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpA on mega camerupt as it guarantees that you live a +4 Play Rough from full, while also giving you a pretty good chance to live a +4 Sucker Punch after SR. Cool team and grats on showcase.

upload_2015-3-5_18-36-1.png

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Thunderpunch

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Opposing Mega Camerupt looks like the biggest threat to the team by far. Especially if it runs Quiet, it's still slower than almost your whole team (which ofc means it'll go first under TR), and at worst Speed ties with your own Camerupt. Idt there's too many "reliable" ways you can go about this, but I'd try to look into something that can underpace it and check it when TR is up. You could try out Trick Room Musharna over Exeggutor, since it does that and retains Psychic typing and an offensive TR setter while Vileplume can still cover most of the resistances lost from Eggy. Psychic / Signal Beam / Trick Room / filler would be the set I'd recommend, you can try a couple of moves in the last slot (Moonlight, Yawn, maybe even Future Sight if you're ino that) and see what you like best.

Also to deal with Rupt you should either find an IV spread that lowers Speed and keeps HP Electric, or replace HP Electric with Rock Slide and go min Speed. I agree with getting rid of Eruption too, Wisp is another option over the other suggested moves to cripple Yama, but your team seems to handle it fine.

Custap on Carbink seems pretty useless to me too, since Trick Room is already negative priority and once you set it up you'll go first against like everything anyway. Mental Herb or something is probably more useful so you can avoid Prankster Encores.

Cool team, hope I helped :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)