Iron Chef Season 2: Underused | EPISODE 11, PHASE 3 (post #397)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's to my 500th post.

Chef malinowski, the first entrant in the sixth episode of Iron Chef, became the first chef to issue a challenge--and the first to hand over the loss--to Iron Chef Euphonos. The challenger's interesting duo of Shuckle and Tornadus made short work against two of the Iron Chef's Pokemon; thus, giving him the upper hand during that match. However, the Iron Chef never backed down with Suicune remaining alive in the remainder of the match, but the challenger sealed the deal with Empoleon and Mega Swampert cleaning house. GG!

Chef Alliance - Rabz made its first official appearance in the scene by first issuing a challenge to Iron Chef Euphonos. At the near end of the match, Rabz attempted to outpower the defensive prowess of one of the Iron Chef's Pokemon through his Pokemon wielding set-up moves, but the Roar managed to stop them on its tracks, sealing the win for the Iron Chef. GG!

Chef Nubs was another challenger who made its first official appearance by issuing a challenge to Iron Chef Euphonos. For the chef's lack of offensive pressure to threaten the Iron Chef's most trusted defensive core, his team eventually succumbed to the wrath of one of the Iron Chef's hidden gems. GG!

Before issuing a challenge to Iron Chef Euphonos, Chef Merlouvynis got scared to lose for building a "half-assed team" due to the new mechanics of the project. During Team Preview, the Iron Chef did not see one of the biggest threats that would plague his team badly, only to find out that the set was way too different and ultimately turned his focus on the battle. His lead Pokemon suffered from paralyses and another Pokemon cannot hit all of his Focus Blasts that definitely cost him the game, implying that the chef could possibly claw back if it weren't for those misses. GG, though!

Chef eaglehawk is another victim of a series of unfortunate events like Merlouvynis. While the chef attempts to make an early-game sweep, Iron Chef Euphonos's lead Pokemon woke up after a turn of sleep, stopping the set-up very prematurely. Also, one of his Pokemon cannot hit two of three Fire Blasts which ended up very critical to the outcome of the battle. GG, though!

Another entrant making his first appearance to the scene is Chef FatCorgi, who issued a challenge to Iron Chef Euphonos. Though the Iron Chef made a miscalculation due to the Mega Evolution mechanics, he gained the upper hand most of the time, weakening most of them for the Iron Chef's hidden gem to make a possible sweep, and ultimately made it. GG!

Chef LLH is one of the participants who won against Iron Chef Euphonos, with some parts of his luck in his favor. While Iron Chef Euphonos suffered a Meteor Mash miss that could have knocked a defensive Pokemon down (hoping that would open a possible Mega Aerodactyl sweep) and a paralysis caused by Discharge, he still not back down with the great offensive presence brought by most of his team members. Eventually, Iron Chef Euphonos managed to claw back with Infernape staying alive, but the chef's last Pokemon managed to survive a Blaze-boosted Fire Blast that sealed the win. GG!

Last edited:

Euphonos

FishInABox / BIAF, you are the only entrant who hasn't faced an Iron Chef yet. Please issue a challenge to any of the Iron Chefs available in ~6 hours.

Euphonos

Chef Bionic Puppy issued a challenge to Iron Chef Euphonos. While the Chef gained the upper hand after one of the Iron Chefs got fully paralyzed twice, the Chef didn't foresee one of his Pokemon being an integral catalyst to winning the match, as he lets that Pokemon stay in on a super-effective hit; eventually, the Chef's remaining team members got succumbed to the Iron Chef's late game sweep. GG!

As Iron Chef Euphonos woke up from his slumber the next day, Chef Manipulative immediately issued a challenge. Early in the match, with both of their Empoleons burned and apparently have the same Speed number, the Iron Chef gained the upper hand when his Empoleon moved last to Defog the opposing Empoleon's Stealth Rock, aiding his hidden gem later on. Midway through the match, a Stone Edge nearly knocked out one of the Iron Chef's Pokemon which ultimately decapitated the Chef's Pokemon with a Thunder Wave. Finally, the Chef got unaware that Natural Gift only works once, and as a result, the Iron Chef's hidden gem sealed the win. GG!

Euphonos

3, 2, 1... TIME'S UP!

The voting and judging phase for this episode is now underway! Presenting to you the dishes of the participants!

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Trick
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

This team is based around the offensive capabilities of the pair as well as their typing synergy, allowing Gardevoir to soften up walls like Snorlax and trick specs onto pokemon like Blissey whilst getting support from an unlikely place, Specially Defensive Heidreigon. This allows me to switch in to any Gyara thanks to the HP Investment and once getting rid of a sub, go for Thunder Wave to cripple it and use U-Turn with decent Offenses (doing 20-25% to Blissey) to weakne a lot of threats, allowing my 2nd addition, Cloyster, to come in and soften up for Empoleon or just come in there and win. Crobat supports the team in general well with Defog, U-Turn and Brave Bat, taking care of pokemon that this team suffers with, mainly grasses and fighting types and last but not least, Lucario allows a late ame sweep and is a really nice Knock Off absorber, setting up one swords dance can also let him break through frailer faster threats with ESpeed and slower ones or fairies with Close Combat or Iron Tail effectively.

Basically, the concept of the core is role reversal, to make the Fairy and steel the offensive one and the Dragon the defensive one. My Secret ingredient is my SpDef Hydreigon and my main issue was finding the bulky support needed with my Hazard Removal. I also wanted to see how viable a team is without a mega.

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Agility

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Toxic

Tornadus
Ability: Defiant
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 136 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch

whenever its iron chef i like to build around the theme more using the theme as a supporter. so im using specs garde to break holes on the opposing team since this thing has zero switch ins, while agily empo can clean late game. since agili emp outspeed the entire unboosted tier, i decided to use webs so opposing scarfers cant take empo down: shuckle was my best man. i paired with defiant tornadus bc tornadus punish opposing deffogers and intimidate spam hard, and doublade can stop spin, even at the cost of its life. bulky RD megapert finish the team offering power, resistances and a second wincon if needed.

Gardevoir (M) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake

Shaymin @ Watmel Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Natural Gift
- Swords Dance
- Frustration

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I decided on Scarf Gardevoir because I figured I would prefer the speed on my team, and also a good check to rain teams. Empoleon is also just a standard set, specially defensive and offering some nice role compression in hazard control and a special dragon check. Aerodactyl came in because I wanted a good wincon as well as ensuring that my team has at least considerable speed going for it, seeing that I probably wouldn't be running a scarfer. Next, I added in Shaymin as my water check with a set that I've been messing around with lately and have enjoyed using variations of. I had a good idea of where the team was going at this point and really preferred a physical attacker as opposed to another special attacker. It was originally sub>natural gift with lefties, but I figured that my team had enough to be able to answer to Gyarados and so I opted for the extra coverage against steels instead. Doublade offered well needed priority, a soft Beedrill check, and a complete answer against those pesky bulky psychics which would otherwise 6-0 me. Lastly, I added in Cune as my fire check. Having roar on it allowed me to run Ice Beam on Empoleon and have more leeway against opposing bulky waters. The team has three setup mons but would in most cases aim for an Aerodactyl sweep.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Healing Wish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Yawn

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 96 Atk / 136 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Counter
- Rapid Spin

So this team was based around a Dragon/FairySteel core (including the 2 ingridients). I chose Empoleon for rocks and added Ice Beam to surpise Mega Sceptile and Yawn to make opponets sleep and have a chance to get up rocks. Gardevoir is scarfed since it can outspeed things and get a healing wish off to give Sceptile-Mega/Gyarados another chance (it also hits pretty hard even without specs). Sceptile-Mega was chosen as the Dragon for this core since it absorbs volt switches and synergizes really well with Gardevoir and Empoelon. I also went for Sd Scep for a win-con. Gyarados is for Mega Pert and also another win-con. Hydreigon is to check Rotom-H and Chandelure. Went for Sp Def Hydreigon so it won't get worn down by life orb damage and whatnot. Lastly went for Foretress for spin and curse lax check with Counter. It can also gain momentum with Volt Switch.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Healing Wish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

So basically when I saw the core I realized it did really well against offensive teams and did a great job of pressuring hazard setters, so naturally I decided it would be a balance team. Mega Bee helps me wear down things like Doublade that's a common counter to both Garde and Bee as well as threaten defensive builds immensely and maintain momentum. I went with Roar Suicune because I've had a lot of success with it as of late and it just compresses a lot of checks into one mon which I really appreciate. I then went with Florges and Specs Mowtom because I felt like I was still weak to things like Mienshao and Krook. SO that's the team. It's nothing special but I couldn't think of anything much better for the core.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Roar
- Scald
- Flash Cannon

Gardevoir @ Damp Rock
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Ring Target
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Overheat
- Thunder
- Volt Switch

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

I took the two pokemon given and analyzed them for quite some time. I went into this challenge with the mindset of doing something unique with the ingredients. After looking over their movepools for a while, I figured out that they're two strong components on a nice even paced Rain team. Both of them support Mega-Pert heavily, Trick Rotom-H with Target Ring gives Mega Pert the ability to handle pokemon like Zapdos, Crobat, and other pesky flying types that become a problem. Tornadus with access to Taunt and Rain Dance gives the team support against setters, Trickings, and various other hazards that could prevent the rain from pouring harder, things such as Trick Room. Gards moveset and Spread allows her to soak in some damage while helping push rain, Emp doing quite the same handling Hazards, setting roar, and dealing with Florges and taking a Toxic for the team. Cobalion is the Aggressor / setter the team needed. Handling pokemon that the team would otherwise have trouble with. The team has strong coverage and is very solid overall.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
Serious Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

When I say the theme I was very excited.i decided I wanted a bulky offense team because I am comfortable at making them and it seemed to fit because I realized I already had a fairy and steel core so I added menace to create a dragon steel fairy core. Then I added tangrowth and camerupt to create a bulky fire water grass core. The biggest challenge I had was that I really needed a mamo switch in that could synergize well and then I found balloon cobalion. Which really helps my mamo problem because it really can't touch balloon cobalion which can just set up on it and ohkoes it with cc. This synergizes well because I don't have much for special walls a.k.a blissey, umbreon and florges.

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

I'm running standard specs Garde because I think it's the best set right now, and it just hits like a truck. I think it pairs exceptionally well with banded hera as a wallbreaking core. I'm taking advantage of having a separate spinner to run ice beam Empoleon both as a check to any mence set, but also running enough speed to beat standard roar cune, which is becoming a common Gyarados counter. As this is bulky offense, I'm running Sableye as my spin and defog blocker. Finally, I feel like good old Calm Mind Cresselia rounds off this team far better than most modern common sweepers.

The Knight (Empoleon) (M) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

The Princess (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Calm Mind

The Dragon (Sceptile-Mega) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

The Wiseman (Entei) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed

The Prophet (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

The Happy Ending (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The moment I saw the core, I had already decided that I wanted to build a rather offensive team so I had decided to go with SR + 3 attacks empoleon and Trick + CM Gardevoir. There is not much needed to explain Empoleon set as it is pretty standart. Trick + CM Gardevoir is a really strong stallbreaker/wallbreaker with specs. It can mess with opposing team by tricking the mons into specs, can create dents in the opposing team with its dual stab and specs. In order to increase its threat level, I have decided to add Mega Sceptile and Entei. Entei deals with steel types and spread burns thanks to Sacred Fire. Mega Sceptile checks water types and and deals serious damage with one of its coverage moves. I had added Gligar and Porygon as blanket checks to mons like Mega Aero, Cobalion, Gyarados, etc..

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Magic Coat
- U-turn

Gardevoir @ Salac Berry
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Substitute / Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

I was extremely uninspired this time around, so I decided to go to my preferred playstyle of choice: Dual Screens Offense. With Dual Screens, Garde and Empoleon can get a couple of safe boosts either under Substitute or just straight up. Quoting from psychotic, Hyper Offense teams need to have either priority or speed boosting. SubSalac allows Gardevoir to sweep after a couple of calm mind boosts. Petaya gives Empoleon that needed kick of extra attacking power for cleaning after Agility boosts. The rest are just extremely standard cores that I fall back on for Dual Screens. Mega Abomasnow is just fantastic as a dual wallbreaker/sweeper Pokemon that really doesn't care about offense that much under Screens. Infernape is pretty much the same principle. Venomoth is an alternative lead that allows me to shut down opposing hyper offense if necessary.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Outrage
- Earthquake

It's based around Choice Scarf Gardevoir, who is a great revenge killer or cleaner that can help support the team with Healing Wish. Choice Specs Empoleon is a really cool wallbreaker that's also bulky and benefits from Healing Wish. Infernape provides a nice offensive Dark check and a sweeper or wallbreaker with Swords Dance. Krookodile helps with Electric, Psychic, and Ghost types while also adding a nice wallbreaker. Omastar is the weird thing of the team, acting as a lead who can set up Stealth Rock and also set up with Shell Smash and hurt the opposing team. Mega Sceptile acts as a nice Water check who can set up and sweep with Swords Dance. Also fast mons are fast.

Weaknesses the team has found are weaknesses to Poison types, Azelf leads that ruin Omastar's day, and Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Beedrill can be problems due to them being fast as hell. But overall, it can be a cool team if used right and I hope you like it!

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Magic Room

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Iron Tail
- Focus Blast

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Double-Edge
- Fire Blast

Basically I tried to make a half-assed HO team around the concept of Magic Room. Gardevoir, with it's access to both Memento + Trick allows me to (hopefully) set up with Specs Agility Empoleon as long as Magic Room is up. Mega Sceptile helps me get rid of water/dragon types along the way allowing me to freely blast the shit out of people. The mixed set with iron tail helps me to catch pokemon like whismicott and florges off guard. Scarf Gyarados also follows the same principle of Empoleon, strikes hard alone but with Magic Room it allows me to dragon dance as well beforehand. The last two mons, NP Infernape and Lead Aerodactyl, provide me some extra coverage and assistance (sorry Hogg and Euphonos!).

You want to see their teams in action?
They're here!

You may now vote for the most favorite team in terms of the three categories: Creativity, Use of Ingredient, and Effectiveness. You can also vote for one team in different categories. Here's the template on how to vote:

Creativity: Player X. [insert reason here]
Use of Ingredient: Player Y. [insert reason here]
Effectiveness: Player X. [insert reason here]
The community has until
SATURDAY, JANUARY 23, 8 AM EST
to cast your vote on this thread who are
the most awe-inspiring,
the most essential,
and
the best-tasting
dishes ever witnessed this round!

Allez, cuisine!

In terms of the most awe inspiring dish, I have to hand it to Merlouvynis for his outstanding usage of a very strange and difficult to abuse move. Scarf + DD Gyara is also nice because even at +1 Gyara can't outspeed some of the faster mons in the tier, and the Empoleon set is golden.

Most essential is a harder category to judge, but I decided to give it to the team in which I decided the secret ingredients acted best with each other. The team that I feel best accomplished this was ChilliTacos team. Given the offensive nature of the team, the core was perfect to bring in things like fighting types and Nidoqueen, as well as fatter stuff that Gardevoir can all take advantage of.

I'm kind of tired of typing at this point, so I'll make it short and sweet. I want to vote Manipulative for most effective dish. Chef xVarsity managed to beat two of our iron chefs, and that should speak for the quality of the team, even without me going into detail about it.

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
I really agree with BIAF 's votes, but I have 1 difference.

The most awe inspring dish is definetly Merlouvynis because of his standard looking team, but with amazing sets. I love the Magic Room style, and when I tested with him, that Gardevoir really threw me off guard.

The most essential dish I actually am going with malinowski on this one. His sets are really good, and they actually work very well with eachother. Defiant Attacking Tornadus is an underrated set rn, and it is so good at luring defog. +Mega-Swampert Combo, +sticky web and hazard support, the team looks funky, but actually works well

The most effective dish is probably Manipulative He won many matches vs the Iron Chef's, and that Natural Gift Watmel Berry Shaymin does wonders for the team. Like BIAF said, I dont really need to go into more detail about the team. Its just cool, effective, and awesome

For the most creative, Merlouvynis takes the cake easily. Magic room is an idea I've tried to use, but have never worked out how, and seeing it used in such a fun and effective way is awesome.

My pick for best use of theme goes to BionicPuppy's team. It just felt like they fit the team perfectly, and the roles and sets of both Pokemon- while not unusual within this particular round- are ones that pretty much only these Pokemon can do within the tier.

My vote for the most effective dish is also Manipulative (I promise I'm not intentionally copying the others,) it was just the best team there, and it's performance speaks for itself.

Also, my account on showdown with a similar name is a new account of an old person, I'm not actually voting as a person with no ladder points or games played.

Euphonos

3, 2, 1... TIME'S UP!
Presenting to you the Special Awardees for this episode:

MOST AWE-INSPIRING DISH: Merlouvynis
MOST ESSENTIAL DISH: malinowski (Chairman's Choice to break the three-way tie)
BEST-TASTING DISH: Manipulative

Who will win in this episode of Iron Chef? Results will be up soon (and Internet is acting up at this time).

Euphonos

The winner for this episode of Iron Chef is...

Chef malinowski!

The underrated Shuckle + Defiant Tornadus duo gave Chef malinowski a nice creative touch, while at the same time coupling the secret ingredient to shine brighter and at the same time intimidating the whole opposition!
. . . . . . .

Here are the scores and the consolidated comments from our beloved Iron Chefs!

malinowski: 16 + 2 - 1 = 17
CREATIVITY: 3.5 / 5
You've made use of Shuckle (along with Defiant Tornadus to lure Defoggers), Mega Swampert with Power-Up Punch, and Shuca Berry Empoleon with Agility, all of which warrant another fairly decent score in this criterion.

USE OF INGREDIENT: 4.5 / 5
The team concept is very cool in a way that the core is there to punch holes in the opposition, along with the underrated Shuckle + Defiant Tornadus side core to make the secret ingredient shine brighter. That is why Chairman and fellow Iron Chef Euphonos selected this team as the Most Essential Dish for such feat.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8 / 10
As reflected in the score in the Use of Ingredient criterion, the offensive presence is very huge that would intimidate the whole opposition. One key flaw upon further examination of the team is the surprising lack of Dark resistances--as such, Mega Sharpedo could deem very threatening if not handled properly. Despite your loss to Iron Chef R0ady, the team is very solid and very effective in what it does.

Low Ladder Heroes (LLH): 14 + 2 = 16
CREATIVITY: 2 / 5
The sets seemed incredibly standard until Toxic + Discharge Porygon2 and Trick + Calm Mind Choice Specs Gardevoir is shown; as such, an above minimal score is given in this criterion.

USE OF INGREDIENT: 4 / 5
You take advantage of the secret ingredient's fantastic typing and incredible movepool to the overall flavor of the team, which is a huge plus. On a side note, the Porygon2 + Gligar side core there is very reminiscent of one of Omfuga's best teams in early ORAS.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8 / 10
The team covered almost all, if not all, of the key threats in the metagame; however, it needs to tread carefully against Fire spam, as it would deal significant damage to the whole team (and leaves Entei too overwhelmed to take such hits). Otherwise, this is one of the most solid teams in this episode, and one of the contenders for the best-tasting dish.

BrandonBeast: 14.5 + 2 - 1 = 15.5
CREATIVITY: 4 / 5
This is one serious contender to the Most Awe-Inspiring Dish as there are a lot of unorthodox options in the team, including Swords Dance Mega Sceptile, Shell Smash Omastar (with Stealth Rock), Choice Specs Empoleon (underrated), and Swords Dance Infernape (another underrated set).

You take advantage of the secret ingredient's fantastic typing and incredible movepool to the overall flavor of the team. The use of Choice Scarf Gardevoir in this team is good, given the nature of the team, which is a huge plus to this criterion.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5 / 10
This team has very promising potential for an offensive team. However, there are some instances that the whole team can't manage to break down some of the key defensive threats (most especially as exploited by Iron Chef NV during that match). With that being said, the effectiveness of the team becomes quite questionable especially if you play it against an average player. However, the direction of the team is there, but this needs some substantial pressure to handle those threats very well.

Manipulative: 12 + 4 - 2 = 14
CREATIVITY: 2 / 5
While most members of the team are of standard fare, you have finally given some underrated sets a try such as Swords Dance Shaymin with a Rock-Type Natural Gift and putting Shadow Claw on Doublade over Sacred Sword (because you have an answer to Snorlax).

USE OF INGREDIENT: 3 / 5
While you take advantage of the fantastic typing of the secret ingredient, given the offensive nature of the team, Gardevoir could have fulfilled the role as a wallbreaker with Choice Specs instead of your current set.

EFFECTIVENESS: 7 / 10
The Iron Chefs have observed one key flaw in this team--lack of good resistances vs. Electric attacks, most especially Volt Switch. In particular, as exploited by Iron Chef Hogg in one of your matches, Zapdos would be of great nuisance to this team, though Mega Aerodactyl could check it unless it's an uncommon Choice Scarf variant. Otherwise, this is very solid for a bulky offense team, and that is why the community is rooting for you to become the recipient of the Best-Tasting Dish award for the third time.

eaglehawk: 14.5 - 1 = 13.5
Dual Screen Azelf, a very underrated set, yet a staple for Hyper Offense teams, Substitute + Salac Gardevoir, and Agility SubPetaya Empoleon (quite an underrated set as well), warrant this team a fairly decent score in this criterion.

As uninspired as you are, however, this is one of the teams that pulled off a very different flavor among other dishes: you brought an extreme factor that stood out among all the dishes that lean more towards balance / bulky offense / semi-stall. Also, you incorporated the secret ingredient to their late-game capabilities, which is a considerable plus for this criterion.

Here are some nitpicks to make the team quite better: you could run a mixed Abomasnow set so that you can really punch holes from the opposition, and make Infernape a Swords Dance set with Mach Punch to balance its spectrum (because you barely have anything to beat Blissey in this regard). Also, you lack a Stealth Rock user and Azelf can truly take advantage of it, since Magic Coat is a very risky move (though a nice addition to bounce back Taunt). Also, it needs to tread carefully against bulky offensive builds containing the likes of Dragon Dance Gyarados (dependent of set). Despite the loss to Iron Chef Euphonos, the team is quite solid enough to be a successful Hyper Offense team.

Alliance - Rabz: 14 - 1 = 13
CREATIVITY: 3 / 5
Mega Camerupt is a very underrated Pokemon worth using, and coupled with Air Balloon Cobalion (though Shuca Berry Cobalion is definitely a thing) warrant a fairly decent score in this criterion.

This team uses Scarf Gardevoir better than most teams as it is beneficial to either Cobalion or Salamence through Healing Wish. On another hand, the secret ingredient takes advantage of its fantastic typing to end up having two type-based cores, which warrants a considerably high score in this criterion.

This team is very synergistic at first glance (as reflected in the score in the Use of Theme criterion). However, the lack of Speed is a big turn-off given that faster Pokemon would deal immense pressure to the team such as Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, and Azelf, among others. Nonetheless, one of the solid teams both offensively and defensively that shouldn't be underestimated.

Merlouvynis: 14.5 - 2 = 12.5
CREATIVITY: 4.5 / 5
At least you asked permission to Iron Chef Euphonos for one of his trademark strategies. No doubt that Magic Room Gardevoir has done wonders to teammates including Agility + Choice Specs Empoleon and Dragon Dance + Choice Scarf Gyarados. Along with Lead Aerodactyl (which is somehow a trend already) and Mixed Mega Sceptile, this team warrants a considerably high score in this criterion, and that really is deserving of the most awe-inspiring dish.

As "half-assed" the team is, it isn't exactly bad as this is one of the teams that pulled off a very different flavor among other dishes, without the Dual Screens challenger eaglehawk features. Nonetheless, the extreme factor of the team brings the score in this criterion to a considerably high level.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6 / 10
While you made a different variation of a team which employs one of Iron Chef Euphonos's trademark strategies, the team went quite too heavy on that strategy that it focuses more on the sweep when Magic Room is intact rather than executing their twofold abilities; as such, the timing for Magic Room is crucial. On one note, Empoleon is quite slow for employing its wall-breaking ability, hence it needs to be fast with Agility while Magic Room is up. On another note, both Magic Room-related sweepers lacked either Protect or Substitute to block any mishap (status, most especially) aimed at them. Otherwise, the team is fairly solid for a decent score in this criterion.

Bionic Puppy: 12 - 1 = 11
CREATIVITY: 3 / 5
This team warrants a fairly decent score in this criterion through Specially Defensive Hydreigon with Thunder Wave and Agility + Petaya Berry Empoleon without Substitute (which is very risky at best).

Isn't Defensive Salamence a thing, too? Yes, the concept of having a Dragon/Fairy/Steel "role reversal" is a thing, but bear in mind that sometimes, a Dragon/Fairy/Steel core could be purely offensive or could be purely defensive. Anyway, the direction of the team is there as you utilized the core well to make way for Lucario and Cloyster to sweep teams.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6 / 10
There were two key flaws this team has: one (which is very glaring in Team Preview) being the prevalent Fighting weakness (with Gardevoir and Crobat sponging those hits decently), and the other (upon further examination) being the over-reliance of Lucario to soften up one key defensive threat: Empoleon. Gardevoir's Focus Blast cannot OHKO Empoleon unless Choice Specs is intact, and the possible chance of missing would be a big turn-off here. Otherwise, as said before, there is a direction in that team, and this is not bad for a start. Keep up the good work!

FatCorgi: 12 - 1 = 11
Trick + Ring Target Rotom-Heat to deal with Flying-types is one of the most creative sets ever seen in this round. Also, putting a very bizarre Gardevoir set (with Rain Dance and Damp Rock) warrant a fairly decent score in this criterion.

USE OF INGREDIENT: 3.5 / 5
Giving a different flavor to the secret ingredient is very challenging as it should not compromise its effectiveness, but at the same time, could be very rewarding, and this is no exception. The concept is very cool that no one has ever done that before, and the secret ingredient is used well enough for such undertaking.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5 / 10
While the concept is great at first glance, the execution didn't go well as planned. Some nitpicks to consider: since you're having Rain Dance on Tornadus, you should take advantage of using Hurricane over Aerial Ace because of Rain Dance (and there are some oddities in its EV's: max Defense?); Gardevoir needs to have some standard moves (Moonblast and Focus Blast over Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, unless Gardevoir learns Thunder). However, this is one valiant effort on your part to make a team with such a direction (which is Rain); keep working on it, and eventually you'll get there.

ChilliTacos: 12 - 2 = 10
CREATIVITY: 4 / 5
Your team has very interesting options in Counter Forretress, Yawn Empoleon, Swords Dance Mega Sceptile, and Specially Defensive Hydreigon with Toxic. These warrant a considerably high score in this criterion, though what holds it back from garnering a perfect score here is the latter's move choice (Toxic), which doesn't do much to its threats including Florges, Aromatisse (whom both do not care because of Aromatherapy), and Cobalion (whose Steel typing makes him immune to Toxic).

The use of Choice Scarf Gardevoir doesn't fit well with this team, unfortunately. Its Healing Wish, while complementing Sceptile and Gyarados nicely (with Gyarados being worn out by Substitute later on), isn't absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, while there are some creative touches to the team, it didn't translate much to its effectiveness. It is because the presence of the team isn't enough to handle some of the threats in the metagame, whether bulky or offensive. While there is some lack of cohesiveness in the team, you made a valiant effort to make a team out of a good concept. Keep working on that direction, and you'll eventually get there.

Nubs: 9 - 1 = 8
CREATIVITY: 1.5 / 5
The team's incredibly standard to warrant a good score in this criterion. At least the Substitute + Calm Mind Cresselia, being an underrated set, saves you from granting a very minimum score in that regard.

USE OF INGREDIENT: 2.5 / 5
While you pair Gardevoir with Heracross for its wall breaking abilities, the team seemed to be quite disjointed, especially the function of the secret ingredient for the rest of the team. As such, a fairly average score will be awarded in this criterion.

Unfortunately, while you have Heracross and Gardevoir to punch holes through the opposition, your team lacks substantial pressure to the most defensive of cores, which Iron Chef Euphonos has exploited during the match. Also, haven't you noticed that you lack Electric resists? As such, strong Electric attacks from the likes of Zapdos and Rotom-Heat (the latter exploited by Iron Chef Euphonos) could be of great nuisance to the rest of the team. Finally, as reflected in the Use of Ingredient criterion, the team needs a sense of direction; while you started a good concept of wall breakers through Gardevoir and Heracross, keep working on that and eventually you'll get there.

FishInABox / BIAF: DISQUALIFIED
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Healing Wish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Upon further examination of the team, Chef FishInABox / BIAF happened to use Toxic and Synthesis on Florges over Wish and Protect that he submitted (as shown in the Team Importable, in bold), as seen in Turn 25 (onward) of the match vs. NV. As such, he violated:
  • Battles must be played using the team that was sent to the Chairman. Any discrepancies between teams may result in disqualification.
Here is a lesson to learn for everyone: please notify the Chairman during the Team Building phase for any changes even after its approval.

. . . . . . .

In a few moments, the new secret ingredient for the next episode of Iron Chef will be up! Stay tuned!

Euphonos

The secret ingredient for this episode is...

CHEAP SHOTS!
(lol, I'm so bad at this)

Yes, it's back to having themes again.

How do you feel when your Pokemon is about to sweep your opposing team until someone caught you off guard with priority moves? In this episode, participants should have at least two Pokemon with moves with Priority greater than or equal to 1 (with the exception of Protect, Detect, and Endure), and/or with abilities that boost priority of certain moves (Prankster, Gale Wings).

You have until
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27, 10 AM EST
to complete your dishes to be sent to the Chairman via PM.

Allez, cuisine!

Last edited:
In response to thee grading:

"Here are some nitpicks to make the team quite better: you could run a mixed Abomasnow set so that you can really punch holes from the opposition, and make Infernape a Swords Dance set with Mach Punch to balance its spectrum (because you barely have anything to beat Blissey in this regard). Also, you lack a Stealth Rock user and Azelf can truly take advantage of it, since Magic Coat is a very risky move (though a nice addition to bounce back Taunt). Also, it needs to tread carefully against bulky offensive builds containing the likes of Dragon Dance Gyarados (dependent of set). Despite the loss to Iron Chef Euphonos, the team is quite solid enough to be a successful Hyper Offense team."

I think it's best for me to clarify the lack of Stealth Rock on this team. For Hyper Offense, the goal is to preserve as much HP on my team members as possible, so naturally hazard control is a greater priority than hazards itself. Furthermore, Dual Screens Offense is unanimously shut down by Sableye, so Magic Coat is my go-to answer for Sableye. U-Turn is there to preserve momentum. To quote King UU, "Hazards isn't a necessity". For my team, it isn't. Although Rocks certainly are helpful to provide chip damage and limit switching, the safety of screens usually allows the Pokemon to set-up and plow through most offensive threats and set up even further on non-offensive threats. To simply put, my personal choice of Magic Coat over Stealth Rock is for the preservation of the playstyle's consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)