Project Iron Chef: Smogon RU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here are the rates:
The ratings will be an average of what the judges rate with.
Originality: 2

Interesting pursuit swellow and LO accelgor is cool and stuff but overall it is pretty standard.

Use of Theme: 2

Why is Meloetta max HP? Mesprit being SpDef is also really odd to me. CroDiancie just slows this team way down. Would have liked to see OTR as a standalone sweeper late-game or something to punish opposing offensive teams.

Effectiveness: 4.5

No Rock resistance on an offensive team means Scarf Tyrantrum gets a guaranteed kill every time it comes in. No U-turn on Swellow means you can't chip it down and force it out with Accelgor. Lack of Spikes on Accelgor really hurts Swellow. Rest talk diancie is such a momentum sucker on a team. Mesprit should be physically defensive since it is its main fighting type response. Melo definitely needs speed and imo toxic orb over flame orb due to swellow run away nature. Good team structure but needs work on the sets.

8.5-1=7.5

Originality: 4

Solid Aero set, but Adamant means you lose to Duggy. Somewhat questionable choice of Specs on Blastoise, but I love the idea of a more offensive set. Maybe Leftovers and spin over Aura Sphere so Accelgor + Aero aren't boned by rocks. Memento Cofag is cool. Love the idea of this team tho. Just I think those few small tweaks would have made it even better.

Use of Theme: 3.5

Nice usage of the theme, as having nice supports that benefit a fast paced team such as this, such as Memento Cofagrigus and Spikes support.

Effectiveness: 7.5

Really solid team with a huge touch of innovation and interesting sets all around. Lack of a pursuit trapper and lack of hp ice on the calm mind virizion means mons like sigilyph and psychic types in general are pretty problematic. Dont disagree with the choice on hp fire here since mons like escavalier are annoying but that more or less sends you to the pursuit route. A faster accelgor is preferable seems the main thing this mon has going on moreo offensive mons is outspeeding the mons relevant scarfer with a timid nature. Really cool overall though.

15+2-1=16

Pursuit Aero and LO accelgor are nice, and hypnosis sigilyph looking really cool but overall team composition is rather standard. Still aims pretty high thanks to some sets.

Use of Theme: 4

Excellent tactic. Team looks weak to Water-types and I love how you added Thunder Fang Durant to mitigate that. Love the combination of 4 Atk LO Durant + Pursuit Aerodactyl with all the Spikes support from Accelgor. Accelgor is also LO so it doesnt need to act like a suicide lead, so the team is really well.

Effectiveness: 9

I honestly see no problems with this team besides Aero not having a move fire fang, which is really important when durant is a thing that exists and you're using offense, good call on having pursuit on aero though

15+2=17

Originality: 1

Specs is a nice bluff on Accelgor until you realize it can't switch moves to abuse the coverage or run Spikes.

Lead Aero leans your team to offensive, but then you have Granbull and Slowking to eat up all the momentum. Why are Slowking and Granbull running defensive sets? They have Choice sets to act as offensive pivots and Slowking can use OTR to be a standalone sweeper.

Effectiveness: 3

Scarf magneton doesnt fulfill any niche or role other electric types wouldnt, being rather pointless. Accelgor should be timid, gotta outspeed scarf medicham. Granbull looking like a pretty big momentum sucker there but kind of a big necessity and this suicide lead just looks completely out of place. Not a bad team composition but sets could use work and magneton is just... there

6+2+2+2-1-1=10

Originality: 4

i love your bronzong set and how it works in conjuction with gurdurr and venusaur, i can appreciate hone claws aero too, sd venusaur is also something you don't see everyday

you have the two fast mons required and then the other four feel like a completely separate team

Effectiveness: 6.5

Love how many of the sets work together but... how is this team getting past a well played virizion? 2 setup sweepers that are already walled by it and gurdurr that if it is a zen heabutt variant, wont beat it 1v1. Swords Dance venusaur just seems redundant when a special version would look so much better here. The team extreme contrast in 2 fast mons is rather odd but can work I guess. No stealth rock?? This aint gen 5! :V

12.5+2-1=13.5

Originality: 3

Cute Band Ninjask. Just not much else outside the box sadly. Mad points for offensive Ninjask tho

Use of Theme: 3.5

Great mix of slow and fast mons. A VoltTurn core that features two fast mons and a fairly slow mon is also really nice.

Effectiveness: 7.5

Would have liked Jolteon to be Life Orb to deal with Electric immunities without overcommiting. Fletch is kind of a pain in the ass if you can't keep Rocks up and it can wear down Blastoise easier since its SpDef (which I do like for Shark btw) Would have liked to see Stone Edge over Roar on Mega Lix to help with Fletch. Outside of the major LO Manectric weakness and Fletch weakness (which most offensive teams have tbh) it's solid

14-2=12

Originality: 1.5

Pretty interesting execution in here. Accelgor + Druddigon is neat. Pretty standard otherwise but cool combinations all around.

life orb accelgor + druddigon is a great core and i'm surprised nobody else has used it so far, the team synergies extremely well offensively

Effectiveness: 8.5

Druddigon should be phys def and lack of a setup sweeper can be annoying with just meloetta to pressure bulkier builds but overall the concept is really good and perhaps Im exaggerating since spikes help where down common melo checks and pursuit is pretty important on sneasel imo, over ice shard. Pretty nice team all around.

14+2-1=15

Originality: 5

Good Lord. Everything in this team is innovation, and good at that. Tailwind Swellow backed by Specs Clawitzer with U-Turn so it doesn't lose momentum. Sub Pass Jolteon makes Clawitzer even dangerous. Power Herb Houndoom nails Rhyperior and Seismitoad which are becoming more popular, and Colbur Golurk as a Dark check. Excellent.

Use of Theme: 4.5

More of a bulky offense approach, but you make it work extremely well. The idea is to generally go for hyper offense which is the only reason this doesn't get a 5. Other than that, solid stuff here, which is to be expected from a seasoned veteran such as yourself

Effectiveness: 9

Literally the only thing this team is really weak to is a well played Scarf user. But considering you don't auto-lose to anything and the opponent has to make proper plays at virtually every point with their Scarfer, I'd say this team is very good. Only thing that could bog down the effectiveness is if the Houndoom lure doesn't work for whatever reason (usually if the opponent has Emboar) but that's situational.

18.5+2-1-1=18.5

Originality: 1

Painfully standard

Spikestack hyper offense with a spinblocker and a spinner of your own. Works for me.

Effectiveness: 5

Feels too forced. Roost-less aerodactyl means isnt really checking flying or fire types at all. Every scarfer bar flygon pressure the team a ton. The team needs a more solid fighting check over tomb. Needs some work but it is pretty functional.

10-1=9

Memento Gastrodon is interesting. Linoone doesn't really work

Use of Theme: 3

Swellow + Aero + Linoone can really pressure Steels, but whether or not they'll last long enough to reap the benefits is another story...

Effectiveness: 3

Just have to see the crit absol but I gotta make a proper review. Swellow is fine and all but that night slash must be changed to something more functional. Missed opportunity to run pursuit on absol to get rid of bronzong for linoone and the aerodactyl without roost means isnt reliably checking everything and it is trying to do too much for the team. Normal aero cant really be like its mega. Guess there is gastrodon with memento but even then I would with any other memento user and the run a stealth rock user like gastrodon in here. Interesting concept but the execution can be improved a lot.

8-1=7

And the winner of the First Round is....

Congratulations!

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This round's theme is.......

Bi-Polar Disorder

Two Pokemon of your team must have different weather setting move. For example, you may use a team with Rain Dance Uxie and Sunny Day Liepard. Hippopotas and Abomasnow count as weather setters, so you can pair that up with a Rain Dance / Sunny Day setter as well.

Remember being unable to utilize both weathers will result in poor marking from "Use of Theme".

Last edited:

feen

control
Alright Time's Up!

ROUND 3

Berry Fest

At least two of your Pokemon must hold a Berry

Results for Round 2 will be posted soon. Credits to the users who participated, since it was a tough round!

Deadline is on 20th February at 11:59 EST

Last edited:
Now THIS is a challenge worth cooking for - we get berries! :D
Do we get bonus points for extra berries? I have no doubt you could go three and still have a legit team

feen

control
Okay time for Round 2 results!

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 128 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Drill Run

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog
- Baton Pass

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Originality: 2/5

Normal abomasnow and auto rain poliwrath give this team some points but the rest is pretty standard to be honest

Use of Theme: 3/5

I can see rain dance getting in the way of camerupt here so i'm not sure about that.

Effectiveness: 5/10

What is that Abomasnow spread? Anway, ass weak to Fletchinder. Uses half the mons on this team for setup fodder. CM Sigi is also a major pain. If it wasn't so ass weak to Fletchinder, I'd give this a higher score.

2+3+5+2=12/20

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Glaceon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Blizzard
- Water Pulse
- Shadow Ball

Uxie @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Sunny Day
- U-turn

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Hammer Arm
- Head Smash

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def / 48 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Originality: 2.5/5

That's like, semi sun with specs glaceon and abomasnow, so i guess its pretty original.

Use of Theme: 3/5

Really brave attempt combining hail + sun in one team. Gotta respect that, and with a surprisingly functional result. Need tons of work but lets get into detail on that with the next section

Effectiveness: 3/10

Okay you have 2 mons weak to Rocks and 1 mon taking 50% from it, and no hazard control? Fletchinder just wins. Diancie as a sun setter could have been better. Tyrantrum also just wins.

2.5+3+3-1=7.5/20

Carbink @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Sunny Day
- Magic Coat

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Encore

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Mantine @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Originality: 4/5

Really cool stuff. Loved the fact that you used Carbink over Diancie for Hazard Control. Dual weather setter Liepard looking amazing as well. The Pokemon screams innovation, Specs Mantine hits very hard. Good job for having a secondary hazard control.

Use of Theme: 4.5/5

Nailed it imo, you cant do much better than that with the theme that was given to you.

Effectiveness: 7.5/10

I see what you're doing here, Carbink is your lead and you're gonna set sun to wallbreak and then clean with Rain. Really nifty strategy. Kabutops makes the icing on the cake, as it checks Fletchinder. However, team is very matchup reliant, just like every other weather based teams.

4+4.5+7.5-1=15/20

Abomasnow-Mega (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 104 Atk / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Rain Dance
- Toxic

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Jet
- Destiny Bond

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 88 HP / 144 Atk / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- U-turn

Originality: 4/5

DBond Qwilfish, RD Bronzong looks neat. Scyther looks very neat.

Use of Theme: 4.5/5

Finally someone realizes that kabutops is a thing that works on weather and just so happens to learn rapid spin! It + scyther is a nice core with rain up and the obligatory abomasnow deals w bulky waters.

Effectiveness: 8/10

Very, very solid. It can get rekt by the typical strats against weather, but it doesn't really auto-lose to anything. Would have liked to see normal Snow over Mega Snow considering it's marginally stronger and definitely faster with the mixed set, but you really aren't losing much at all by going Mega Snow over normal Snow with the mixed set. Really good stuff overall.

4+4.5+8-1=15.5/20

The Winner of this Round is....

FlamingVictini

Congratulations!

Thank you to all who participated. This was a hard round, so all of you did a great job!
Also,
EonX: GET A BETTER THEME lol
MrAldo: I BLAME ARIFEEN FOR A BAD THEME, MOVING ON.
Diogo: That was really painful, please get a better theme.

:pirate:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)