Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright all, it's time for the reveal!

cheech (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

chong (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Foul Play

I started with Slowking and Amoonguss because the other Regenerator's (Audino, Mienshao, Reuniclus, Alomomola, etc.) don't really synergize that well with each other. These two are hilarious together because you can just bring it in on any move that'll do like 40% and take it then just switch out and be at full basically. Calm Mind Slowking is a really good win condition for stall because it beats Suicune's without Roar. Amoonguss is a good switch in to powerful Electric-Types like Heliolisk and Rotom-Mow (Heliolisk has to constantly predict Amoonguss and Hyper Voice to have a 24% chance to 2HKO after Rocks). If they take massive damage it's quite easy to bring them back to full without having to Wish with Florges.

weed (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
-Roar

I was looking weak to Crobat, Salamence, Mega-Aerodactyl, Stoutland, shit like that so I added Mega-Aggron. Gives me a Stealth Rocker and a phazer. Pretty standard stuff, deals with a lot of physical attackers in the tier also beats Alakazam who's missing Focus Blast.

bong (Florges) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

I needed a Fairy to counter Hydreigon, cleric, and a Wish passer for Mega Aggron and Florges fit all those roles. I could've used Aromatisse but Mega-Aggron, Slowking, and Amoonguss were all physically defensive so I decided I needed some more special bulk.

stoner (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 168 Def / 176 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Curse

Team was looking really weak to Nidoqueen so I put on CurseLax to beat it. This thing also beats tons of teams because they just don't prepare for it and get bopped. My only switch in to Specs Chandelure and SubCM Chandelure so I put on Earthquake to beat them. My preferred switch in to Entei because the burn doesn't matter as much to Snorlax since it can Rest it off. Overall great 'mon.

junkie (Salamence) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

I wanted a Defogger who was bulky as shit so Crobat was off the table. Plus Crobat compounds a Psychic weakness and Fire weakness as Snorlax and Slowking were the only switch ins. Salamence also has Intimidate which is amazing for a bulky defogging Mence. The -1 it gives the opposing Pokemon technically gives Salamence a 420 (heh) Defense stat. This thing eats it from even Sky Plate Crobat.

-1 252 Atk Sky Plate Crobat Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Salamence: 103-123 (26.2 - 31.2%) -- 35.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Iron Chef Replay: LOST to Iron Chef xMarth: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224531867

Dogs (Arcanine) @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Dogz (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

Weed (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Fishes (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Fish (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Fishy (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Description
My favorite play style is without a doubt balance! I naturally make a balanced team when playing pokemon. I look for hazard control, physical walls, special walls, set up sweepers and pure attackers. This team has is all.

So basically my mind set when creating this team was to make it fun and have it viable too. I started off with the nearly similiar banded arcanine and banded entei. I used this combo on ladder against some descent teams when doing research week for stunfisk. It worked great against hyper offense but my team composition was sucky because stunfisk just sucks. I appropriately called the duo, Double Dogz and hence the name of my team.

Double Dogs is a grass, water and fire core on steroids! We have the dogs as anti hyper offense and my offensive pressure, tangrowth and empoleon as me physical and special walls, slowking as my set up sweeper, and swampert as wall breaker and possible lead. Empoleon is also my hazard control as it usually is.

Tangrowth: I put the dogs on my team and I knew i needed something to counter ferg and sallamence.
tangrowth has hp ice and leaf storm KOs ferg while being able to take a +2 ice punch. Regenerator is so useful as I can take hits, fire off a sleep powder, and switch to get my health back. No turns are wasted but sometimes i get forced to switch. Knock off is great because i can always hurt something.

Empoleon: My team was looking very weak to mega pidgeot and I need hazards so I slapped on Empoleon. This has got to be my favorite competitive poke in UU because it has so many jobs to do and can come in on lots of common thing such as crobat, florges, and suicune. It has roar for suicune and snorlax. Scald is the best move in the game and I can't have mono attack without status. Hazards and hazard control are always awesome because I get a lot of free turns with empoleon.

Swampert: I was looking tentacruel weak and I didnt have a mega slot yet so I chose swampert. It hits really hard and hits nearly everything. Rain dance is cool but I rarely get to use it effectively because usually my other team mates become win conditions before swampert gets it chance. Great offensive pressure and I love it as a lead as well.

Slowking: I needed something special as a set up sweeper and can be able to take hits as well as status. Slowking was an obvious choice having regenerator, nice defenses, great typing and scald. It also can win a calm mind war with Suicune. I usually like to switch in arcanine into entei but when i fear the stone edge I choose Slowking. Its a nice middle ground that helps me read my opponent and allows me to make much safer plays.

Now I will end with a quote:
CoolStoryBrobat: The double fire triple water singular grass combo was too much
CoolStoryBrobat: For the room to handle

Im going to add descriptions of Arcanine and Entei even though its pretty self explanitory

Arcanine: This dog was part of a gimick trying to replicate the power of Entei. It turned out pretty well as E speed hurts a lot and wild charge does 50% to a suicune. Close Combat is a nice moddle ground and allows me to one shot Def Empoleons. It also relieves me of a small snorlax weakness. Crunch may be added in the future due to my chandy weakness. In that case I might take out close combat as wild charge works wonders on this team. Intimidate is great as a middle ground between walls. Double espeed makes HO tremble!

Entei: Standard CB set that breaks through most things and unlike arcanine can take on fire types. Hes my fastest member on my team and helps a lot with choice specs chandy. It can also out speed jolly hera which makes it a great revenge killer. A lot of teams dont have solid answers to Entei making it able to burn swamperts and Hydregions allowing something to open up as a win condition. Flare is if I need to KO something. E speed is my savior as my entire team is pretty slow and bulk.

Iron Chef Replay: WON versus Iron Chef Christo the Gr8: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224565065

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature IVs: null Atk
- Foul Play
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Started with Reun/Mienshao because the idea of specs reun sounded cool as hell as a bulky offense pivot that could come back in over and over and threaten powerful choice boosted attacks (and maybe take out an optimistic hydrei or something with focus blast) while Mienshao just seemed like one of the few regenerator pokemon in UU actually viable. Krook added a rad Psychic/Dark/Fighting core while giving me another way to pressure balanced cores with powerful CB attacks. I also thought I'd be able to score a kill with it based off of surprise factor - it's not been it's most commonly used set recently. I was feeling MPidge weak so I added a mega-aero as well as a pert - Maero was looking like my defogger at this point and I was feeling like I needed some sort of defensive back bone, so pert was an obvious choice. I threw on Amoongus because I thought it complemented pert reasonably well as well as protecting me somewhat from boosting dragons - using regen amoong meant I could change to reckless mien and maybe ruse a non-regen reun during the game.

Game plan is generally get rocks up hit them very hard with krook and reun until all the opponent's pokemon are dead, go through with mien and aero against more offensive teams.

Iron Chef Replay: LOST to Iron Chef xMarth: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224655276

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Roost
- Knock Off

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Pretty standard balance team. My goal was to avoid a shitty Regenerator-core stall team, as the options to build a 4-Pokemon stall core and have one or both as a Regenerator Pokemon were limited. The main goal to this team is to let hazards wear down the opposing team in tandem with the absurd power of Choice Specs Hydreigon. Amoonguss immediately allows me to cripple opposing Defog or Rapid spin users with Spore, helping me maintain the presence of my hazards. VoltTurn pressure from Gligar, Infernape, and Forretress further allow me to abuse Stealth Rock and Spikes by forcing switches. Once the opposing team is weakened, Scarf Infernape is able to clean house, or CM Slowking is able to set up and sweep the remaining opposition.

I've opted for Scarf Infernape and Specs Hydreigon as neither Pokemon are common threats typically seen on the ladder or in tournament play. Most Infernape are assumed to be Nasty Plot or Mixed, thus allowing me to outspeed and KO opposing Scarf Mienshao. Specs Hydreigon is almost unheard of, and has only starting building momentum when OG_Wanka used it to spank xShiba in a UU room tour. It's a menace to switch in on, and is nearly as effective of a wallbreaker as CB Entei.

Iron Chef Replay: LOST to Iron Chef Christo the Gr8: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224817395
Bonus Replay: Challenged Iron Chef YABO and won 6-0 -

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Vine Whip (Chairman Edit: LOL gj teal6)
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Mienshao @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Fake Out
- Reversal
- Knock Off

Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Azelf @ Colbur Berry
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch
- Explosion

Well, seeing as this week was regenerator week, I had a relatively limited pool of mons to bring, though most of them had a decent amount of viability. My first thoughts were toward a stall team with Alomomola and Amoongus, because I used that during the last RU suspect very well, getting close to the top of the ladder for a tier I had never played beforehand. However, I also remembered how insanely bored I was during all of those games, so I said f it.

So this led me to my first choice:

The first thing you might notice about Tangrowth is that it has Vine Whip, which was obviously a huge mistake. Nothing I can do about that though. I liked Tangrowth because it functions as an offensive and defensive pivot, with HP investment it can take hits from almost any physical attacker and non SE special attackers without getting OHKO'd. It can leech seed and switch out to regenerate, obviously. Both of these are pretty great. I liked Swords Dance because I wanted to catch folks off guard, and potentially boost up to tear down a wall later on. I am not really a player that tries to make the biggest min/max plays all the time (as evidence in my battle submitted), but instead like to figure out the psychology of my opponent to make predictions that can give me momentum, even if they are big risk/moderate reward. For that reason, I put rock slide on Tangrowth to catch incoming Crobats, unfortunately I never got to show any of this in the game lol.

Aggron I thought was a good choice because a lot of regenerator mons don't have immediate threatening ability, which means something can boost up on them. Aggron can phaze and also carried rocks which I wanted a lot due to the nature in which I planned to play. He could bring them up a bunch of times in a match as well.

With a wish passer, in addition to regenerator, I could make sure that my Slowking/Tangrowth core was never really in danger. To me, this meant that I was able to boost up for a mid-game sweep, and if I fucked it up I would come back to life for a late game one as well. Provided utlity against dragons, specifically Mence, which I feared a lot if it DD'd on something and started looking for Moxie boosts. Finally, with a CM King on my team, I needed a way to get rid of statuses in case I wanted to boost up to sweep.

I liked a physical Azelf's surprise factor a lot. Explosion meant I had a little get out of jail free card, and used it on a Suicune that had potential to take me down. I really didn't want to face Krook too much as it had the ability to maim my team, sure Aroma, Growth and Mienshao beat it, but I really didn't want to lose my leftovers on the first and didn't want to deal with intimidate shuffling on the other two, so I thought a cool idea would be PUP which lets me ensure a kill with explosion by PUPing on the switch in, again while eating Colbur and then Exploding if need be. Alternatively, if Krook isn't there, I thought I could PUP on a switchin expecting special attacker, PUP again if I could live a hit and then go to town with Zens. Alas, didn't get to show this either.

Slowking I don't have a lot to write about, just an excellent win con that sets up on a bunch in the tier and wins 1v1, works really well with Aroma's heal bell and wish support and slack off meaning it is hard to kill unless I specifically want to sack it. Fully specially defensive so I knew I had a safe switchin to frankly any special attack.

This was meant to be a late game cleaner, but I couldn't get rid of Aromatisse or Krook in time to do so. Endure/Salac means you can get a scarf boost on one switch without worrying about rocks and you don't have to worry about ghosts like Chandy. I had this vague notion of using this early on, using the Salac boost to knock out something like a Chandy and get a big Reversal hit on, and then utilizing regenerator on appropriate switches to get him moderately healthy again but that wasn't a super great idea. If I had to remake this team I would probably give him whatever that third ability is, I think the one where you can't get taunted. But endure/salac/reversal is an awesome idea IMO, which eases one of the hardest parts of Shao attacking, the dreaded Chandy switchin.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: WON against Iron Chef YABO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224863307

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kicka
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

PEPPER YOUR ANGUS (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Slowking @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Fire Blast

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Regenerator OTR team.

Slowking uses Regenerator to facilitate setting up multiple TRs in a match.

Mienshao uses Regenerator Life Orb to wallbreak/clean with options as well as Regenerator keeping it healthy and out of Mega Sharpedo range (max/high roll Adamant can still KO however).

Abomasnow creeps base 65s such as Vaporeon before mega and is still slow enough to

Chandelure is a backup TR setter and also dissuades Entei from clicking fire move which gave other versions of this team problems (however it did make the team more weak to Krookodile).

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef YABO. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224866700

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 SpD
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Waterfall

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Mienshao and Reuniclus are the two-Pokemon Regenerator core that I used for this challenge. I almost always lead with Mienshao to scout for incoming attacks or moves while regaining its Life Orb damage through Regenerator. Whenever there are no Dark-types in the opponent's team, Reuniclus is free to mindlessly use Future Sight and watch it decimate even those resisting it. The team covers almost all of the prominent threats in the UU metagame through the combination of Qwilfish, Hydreigon, and Mega Abomasnow.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: WON against Iron Chef YABO. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224891045

Slowking @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Trick

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish
- Psychic

Here's a balanced team build around Slowking specs and Life Orb Mienshao. Specs Slowking is really cool, it's a great offensive pivot, able to take some hits and hits hard. Future Sight is a really cool move on this set and it's works pretty well with Mienshao cause one of the greatest Mienshao's check is Crobat but Crobat is kill by Future Sight, same deal for Gligar. Trick allowed the team to lure the current CM such as Cresselia/Reuniclus/Slowking. Shaymin is used as a Scald Absorb, it's also really like Future Sight for kill the flying/poison able to switch in on Seed Flare. Nidoqueen really helps the team against the balanced team, thanks to it's great power and coverage. Florges checks the dark spam and fits extremely well with Slowking and P2 is P2, it's walls everything. The team is really bulky but it's strikes too.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef Hairy Toenail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225021110

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Future Sight
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Body Slam

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

When I started the team, I didn't want to go with a standard 3 defensive mons Regenerator core, so I decided to go with a threat I have been successful with in late XYUU, Regenerator Vest Reuniclus. The fact that it is an amazing pivot lets it come in easily into most special attackers and fire off a Future Sight, messing up with the opponent's mind, forcing they to make switches not planned, which also lets me use the sheer power of Toxic Orb Heracross to break through said "Future Sight switchins". But as Hera was prone to die quickly, a Wish passer was necessary, and that's when Alomomola came into play, completing the Regenerator task, being the physically defensive pivot and healer of the team. From then, the other mons are there following offensive and defensive synergy, but since this is not a RMT, I guess ima leave it there. However, as much as this team has proven successful on the ladder and some tour battles, it has proven two horrible weaknesses, opposing Heracross and Sub Gatr. Most of the time I just hope they don't appear lol, but if they do, aggressive plays are my only way out, demonstrated on my battle vs. Iron Chef Toenail (even though I couldn't handle it).

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef Hairy Toenail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225047153

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Scald

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Since this week was based on RegeCore I decided to use Mienshao and Slowking, thanks to Mienshao's high speed the two of them let the team get momentum since the start of a battle so I defintely settled this team as a Momentum one. SpD Gligar is very useful because is not only a good check for M-Pidgeot, M-Ampharos, Alakazam, M-Sceptile and other s special abusers, infact thanks to him and his bulk I'm able to preserve one of my Volt-Abuser: Mega Ampharos (as we can see, it doesn't have Rest so it'sless effective against Flying Pokemons during the battle). Focus Blast over Rest is a good move to press on Snorlax since If Snorlax gets at +1 Defense from Curse even Mienshao won't ohko him, as such with a combo between both I'm able to stop it. 64 speed evs allows Ampharos to outspeed Relax Swampert. I added Florges because as always she is an amazing support for a team, checking Mega Blastoise, Salamence, Hydreigon and Fighting type Pokemon in general. 20 Evs in speed let Florges outspeed Heavy Slam Machamp that could be an issue ( being able to damage everything on a switch). In the end I finished the team adding Krookodile, which is my main weapon against two dangerous CMinders : Reuniclus and Cresselia. while also being able to trap, Chandelure, one of the main problems for Balanced Teams.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: WON against Iron Chef YABO. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225187497
Bonus Replay: Took on Iron Chef xMarth and won -

hehe bwoii (Tangrowth) @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder

wumbo (Slowking) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 200 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psyshock

fya stick (Infernape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

muzzy el grande (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb

feeeeeeeesh (Dragalge) @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

krokorok (Krookodile) @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Alright so when I looked at the regenerator theme, bulky offense really appealed to me. However, I didn't wanna use plain old standard cm king and like amoongus, So a core that I thought of was life orb tangrowth and offensive AV slowking. Mega aboma is a really good fat hard hitter with SD to pound through stuff and I added some hazard support with t spikes on dragalge and a black glasses krookodile with SR. Looks OK on paper and I do not have hazard control but with the t spikes and the rocks I'll hopefully pressure my opponent to defog.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef Christo the Gr8. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225335215

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Future Sight

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Protect
- Defog

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Alright so I started off the team with a solid regen core of amoongus and reuniclus mainly because i wanted to be unique. I made amoongus my physical wall and a counter to most fighting types that are running around the uu ladder. I added spore and stun spore as a way to paralyze any huge threats after a mon is asleep and of course dual stab. Then for reuniclus I've always loved it and specs reun is a lord and I wanted a really hard hitting special attacker. for the moves I had energy ball for bulky waters (barring suicune) focus blast for empoleons and other steel rock and dark type mons. and lastly I had future sight because people have to play around and switch into and practically sack threats to it. I then wanted a fast defogger and I immidietly thought mega pidgeot as its a fast defogger and I absolutwly love it. I run protect to see what scarf users lock into so I can get the extra speed boost to out speed stuff like alakazam. I then run hurricane and heatwave for coverage. At this point I had 3 special hitters and no win condition or scarfer so I added scarf mence as it hits like a tank and can easily sweep games once I eliminate bulky mons. (normal move set) I then wanted a semi bulky mon to set up hazards and I thought of physically defensive swampert as it can take some hits and roar out things that are setting up, can get the scald burn or just do damage with eQ. My last mon I ran intimidate banded krook as a hard hitting mon that I needed and a nice pursuit trapper.

The goal of the team is to weaken th threats by a mix of krooks hard hitting and pursuit trapping, reunicluss hard hitting special attacks (mainly future sight) and mega pidges hurricane with the support of rocks and some bulky mons to help take hits. then in the end sweep with mence

IRON CHEF REPLAY: WON against Iron Chef Hairy Toenail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225338895

Slowking @ Life Orb
Sassy Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Arcanine @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Psyshock

So the I loyal idea was to create a trick room core with NP Slowking and LO tangrowth, where tangrowth broke down walls so that slowking can sweep under trick room. I added arcanine to complete the fire water grass core, and with mixed defnses, it gave my team solid switch ins to many threats. I needed a trick room setter as well as a cleric, because my team was really weak to status, so I picked up Protectless aroma with TR, which also provided a knock off switch in, which I needed. I was becoming a bit TR reliant, so I added mega aero as a mega pidgeot check and solid defogger, all as doing tons of damage outside of trick room. Cress became the defensive glue the team needed, as well as adding another trick room setter.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef Christo the Gr8. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225348968

Look at my hair (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

So this is the first regenrator mon and forms my defensive backbone. It's Bulk is huge and regenerator means it can keep coming in on threats. The set is just to cripple mons and deliver finishing shot leaf storm which hits relatively hard considering its uninvested. Sleep powder lets me semi-deal with set up sweepers like lucario,leech seed is for the incoming special walls and the snorlax/suicunes, and Knock off is just a really nice cripple move.

Call my bluff (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off
While it might seem odd to run regenerator on Scarfshao it actually works well. It allows mienshao to come in on weakened or resisted attacks and know its not going to get worn down. I also tried it practically and did not feel the lack of Reckless as painful.

I'm not broken lol (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Work Up
- Refresh
- Roost
- Hurricane
Work Up+Hurricane=GG
Standard stallbreaker set

Stop fatshaming (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Body Slam
- Crunch

Standard CurseLax set with crunch to beat ghosts. Is my entei switch in and special wall.

Blue Hentai (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
Kind of a mixed wall type and is my hazard removal. Scald is obligatory lol and tspikes is to wear down pokemon like mega-blastoise which is good against this team. Knock off core with tangrowth is nice to wear down opponents

Dont need no king (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
Standard queen lead. I use 252 speed because I hate the game of chicken that comes with nido vs nido matchups.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef Hairy Toenail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225850898

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Forretress @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- U-turn

So, this team is centered around VoltTurn with the secret ingredient Regen core as the back bone. Mienshao and Rotom-Mow form my main VoltTurn core allowing them to beat most common leads (Krook, Empoleon, forrertress, etc..) Scarf Shao also functiona as my RK especially with Aerial Ace (throwback to gen 5 and fantastic check to Scarf Hera which can clean up my team if weakened). Slowking/Umbreon form my defensive core. Slowking is my Regen pivot and check to fire types like Darm, Infernape and boosting sweepers like Suicune.

Forry is my hazard layer and control and Slow Volt Switch. Toxic is punish those ground and ghost switch ins. Since I have a powerful VoltTurn core, it allows me to get M-Beedrill in safely most of the time. I run SD over protect due to how easy it is to get him in thanks to the pivoting.

Regen Core allows my team to pivot and force switches. Slowking and Shao scare a lot of mons out individually and together. Add in SR damage and wallbreaking VoltTurn support from Bee and Mow and this team is very effective. So, the secret ingredient is a key ingredient in my team.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef xMarth. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-226036598

Audino @ Light Clay
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Magic Coat
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Healing Wish

Mienshao @ Coba Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Outrage

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Hypnosis
- Roost
- U-turn

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Basically the team is SD pass hyper offense with screens. Audino is my dedicated lead as it sets up screens, Healing Wish allows it to heal burns and ensure the rest of my team stays healthy while Magic Coat ensures it isn't shut down by Taunt and hazards don't get annoying. I decided the EVs were better off going mixed as dedicating them to one defense would mean Audino gets worn down easily via the other. Regenerator is nice as it allows Audino to not need a healing move and can setup screens more than once a match. Mienshao is the second Regenerator 'mon in my team and is the SD passer. 12 HP EVs and a Coba Berry allow Mienshao to survive any non-boosted Jolly Brave Bird from Crobat. Swampert is a good SD pass recipient and a Jolly nature is used to ensure Scarfers can't simply revenge it. Damp is nice for predicting Custap Explosions from Forretress. Tyrantrum is dangerous after being SD passed into and gives the team a much needed flying resist. Crobat was needed for Shaymin which wrecked most of the team otherwise and an itemless Acrobatics set was chosen as Brave Bird recoil was huge after an SD pass. Hypnosis allows me to effectively shut down a Pokemon and setup on it with Mienshao or gain momentum via U-turning out. Max Speed Jolly is used since I didn't feel the extra bulk was necessary and it allowed me to Speed tie with Aerodactyl pre-Mega and put it to sleep if need be. Escavalier is the final member of my team being able to function as a Dragon resist and counter Trick Room teams that shredded me otherwise.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: LOST to Iron Chef xMarth. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-226526088

That is 16 dishes for our judges to savor! And with that, judging is now OPEN!

Remember, anyone who does not have a dish entered in this round may judge. That includes me and the four Iron Chefs, as well as anyone who has been watching this contest but did not enter. Criteria for judging can be found in the OP.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So quick question do we have to rate every team? I mean with how many people enter it seems to me that judging every team is pretty insane for bystanders. Maybe changing the judging style would be possible or maybe even limiting the real judging to u and the chefs, then maybe having the rest of us vote on who we like the most and giving them bonus points? Just an idea

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, judging for 16 dishes is tough. Honestly when I started this I figured we'd probably have no more than ten entries tops - it's been way more popular than I had guessed.

That said, I do want to encourage anyone willing to put in the time to judge to do so, since that way contestants can get feedback, etc. So, as an incentive to all judges, our judges this round get to pick next round's Secret Ingredient! I'll start a PM with all judges and let them pick, so that our judges are the first to know what to build around next week.

For my own judging, I'm working on a rubric to make judging easier. For example, for originality, I plan to more or less score as follows:

5- Holy crap, this thing took me totally by surprise. Super original, well done.
4- Some really cool new ideas here, although nothing earth shattering.
3- Not really breaking new ground here, but not totally bog standard either. Middle of the road.
2- Mostly standard fare, nothing new here.
1- This looks like you took a well-known team or grabbed an RMT and made some minor changes.
0- OK, you're literally stealing someone's team here, with no real changes at all.

I'm on mobile so I won't have scores up until later today or tomorrow morning, but by having a rubric to go off of, I can pretty quickly look at each team and give it a score.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First of all, I’d like to say that the dish really incorporates all of the flavors that you would normally expect to get from such a sour set of ingredients. Each bite gives a nice upfront kick but leaves you with a bit of a lingering aftertaste. Anyways, time to get onto the meat and potatoes here.

Originality – 2/5

You really didn’t do anything original here. The team itself looks standard and your regenerator core is as cookie cutter as it gets. You get a couple points for two attack Snorlax and Fat Mence but both of those are still fairly standard which leaves you with a disappointing 2 in Originality.

Use of the Theme – 5/5
Contrary to what everyone has been saying, this week’s theme was HEALING FACTOR, not regenerator cores. Regenerator cores are certainly a large component of this week, but it was not the only facet that needed to be addressed. This team has healing moves on pretty much anything and tries to just tank through the opponents team, perfectly embodying this week’s theme. Great work on making something that no one wants to play against.

Effectiveness – 6/10

Well, first of all, you lost. Second of all, while your team does a good job of staying alive, it seems to have a tough time actually doing any damage. Your team would struggle immensely versus some roar cores and also versus many common stallbreakers such as reuniclus. In addition, anything with substitute throws your regenerator mons for a loop. Finally, holy fuck where is your Feraligatr check, +2 gatr kills your entire team.

Overall, idk you do the math your dish isn’t worth my time.

But forreal, the formatting was fantastic I give you +1 bonus point for that if it’s allowed and would encourage others to dress up their posts in the future, it makes it much easier to read.

Originality – 3.5 but if need integers, 3 / 5

Trick Specs Reuniclus is a new one and really introduces a whole new flavor profile to the dish. Defog Mega Aerodactyl was also neat but overall everything was pretty standard.

Theme – 3.5 / 5

As cool as Specs Reuni is, I really don’t think it brings that much new to the table that normal Reuniclus does. The attempt at hitting a strong flavor came on too thick and you would’ve been better off with a softer dash of Assault Vest to make better use of the theme, bulky pokemon utilizing healing to stick around.

Effectiveness – 5 / 10

Weak to Aero, Mence, RoarCune, Opposing Reun kinda, BP Lucario, and other stuff I’m pretty tired right now. I see what you were trying to do with Krook trapping Chandelure for Mienshao to sweep cleanly but I still see you getting swept to Hone Claws Aero most times of the day.

Also hazard stack looks like a pain to deal with as Aero finds trouble coming in against a lot of mons and struggles to find free turns to deal with against a lot of playstyles.

Overall 12 / 20

Originality - 4
I can honestly say that I've never seen a 321 WFG core before. That coupled with the double Choice Banded Fire Dogs earn you significant points here. Although, as we have done scouting on you chefs before the show began, we know that this is a sort of "signature" dish that you have so you're originality takes a bit of a knock here.

Use of Theme - 3
You definitely have the regenerator part down and I like how you utilize the neat defensive synergy between Tangrowth and Slowking but again Healing Factor is the theme here.

Effectiveness - 8
Can't argue with winning your Iron Chef bout and a solid ladder peak. However I do see a few ways that the team can lose and simple cores can sometimes be knocked down by stuff that you'd least expect.

Originality - 3.5
"Pretty standard balance team". Exactly. However, the inclusion of some underrated sets and using the theme in a different way earns you some bonus points.

Use of Theme - 3.5
I like the idea of hazards + regenerator core. Forcing switches is what regen cores do best and forcing your opponent to take hazards over and over again is a great way to rack up that damage for your other mons to sweep. Adding in a new flavor of volt turn also helps your case as it allows for more "healing opportunities" for your regen mons when you can secure them safe switch ins.

Effectiveness - 7
Pretty sure you lose to Roar Cune provided it actually burns you and shit. Other than that, the team looks pretty damn solid. Your defensive core handles pretty much whatever and you can keep up offensive pressure with your Hydreigon, Infernape, and Volt Switch core.

One down, 100 more to go

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
ORIGINALITY: 3 points. The use of Foul Play on Amoonguss and Heal Bell on Florges is original, yet the team itself seems like a pretty standard team.
USE OF THE THEME: 5 points. Contrary to popular belief the theme was "HEALING FACTOR" and while Regenerator cores are a big facet of that, the use of Florges and RestLax means you have other means of healing and this deserves the full 5 points.
EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. The team may look standard, and as such should be good, but in the end you lost against your Iron Chef and your team is very reliant on getting a CurseLax or CM King sweep as other than that, your team really fails to hit hard. Stallbreakers destroy your team and so does SD Gatr.

TOTAL: 14 / 20

ORIGINALITY: I will give you 4 points. This is because Phys Def Tangrowth is p cool and I am loving the "innovation" of Choice Banded RK9. Sadly the rest of the team is pretty standard in terms of their roles and the mons you chose.
USE OF THE THEME: 2 points. This is because I feel like you just added the Regenerator mons to satisfy the quota, although I didn't give you one point because of your description as to why Tangrowth and Slowking are on the teams.
EFFECTIVENESS: I give 8 points. I will say that although you won, you didn't really get to show off the innovation of Choice Banded RK9, yet Tangrowth did work and you won which nets you this value.

ORIGINALITY: 2 points. This team isn't very original outside of Specs Regen Reuniclus and SpD Amoonguss (which Idk if that is standard but I thought Phys Def is the standard lol). You have Reckless Scarf Shao, Defensive Pert, and Mega Aero + Pursuit Krook which is pretty standard looking in my opinion and as such doesn't deserve more than the given points.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. You didn't just fulfill the quota, but you also added healing mons with Amoonguss having Synthesis + Regenerator and running Mega Aerodactyl with Roost expanding beyond the required Regenerator mons and pursuing the Healing Factor aspect of the competition.
EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. This team looks pretty standard and as such should be able to fare well in the metagame yet you lost your Iron Chef battle, which means the team may not be as good in practice as it looks on paper.

TOTAL: 10 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. This team actually uses some unconvential things such as Specs Dreigon and SpD Forretress as well as Double Powder Amoonguss and it looks like a ton of fun.
USE OF THE THEME: 2 points. You have a mon with recovery outside of the Regenerator mons, which saves you from only having 1 point here.
EFFECTIVENESS: 7 points. While this team is really unique and cool, and looks like it could do well in the standard metagame, you lost your initial Iron Chef battle (even though that Pidgeot's hax was en pointe). However, I gave you a +1 bonus point as you went and destroyed Iron Chef YABO with it, but that wasn't your initial fight lol.

TOTAL: 13 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 5 points. Vine Whip, Regenerator, Endure + Reversal Shao, and Colbur Berry Elf. 'nuff said.
USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. Not only did you expand on the theme of "HEALING FACTOR" by adding other mons with ways of healing (Wish on Aromatisse, Slack Off on Slowking), you also were unique in one of your Regenerator picks (Mienshao) while having 3 Regenerator mons instead of the required 2.
EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. While you did win, I just cannot see this team being very good on the ladder other than for the surprise factor.

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. You built a TR team while also having a way to beat fast mons in Regenerator Shao, Crobat, and Ice Shard MegaSnow.
USE OF THE THEME: 2 points. Again it feels like you were just trying to fulfill the quota of Regenerator core. (This is looking to be like a recurring theme or maybe I am being a bit harsh lol).
EFFECTIVENESS: 7 points. While you did lose your Iron Chef battle, I do believe this team is cool enough to be a very effective team in the current metagame.

ORIGINALITY: 3 points. Props to Qwilfish and MegaSnow, but other than that the team seems pretty standard.
USE OF THE THEME: 2 points. Again the team feels like it was just built with the Regen core quota filled, but not one point because you used a unique Regen mon in Shao.
EFFECTIVENESS: 8 points. The team is a pretty good look into what the standard metagame is along with the fact it is a pretty cool team overall. You also won your Iron Chef battle so that has some merit as well.

ORIGINALITY: 3 points. I like the use of P2, but other than that a fairly standard team on the outside.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. *sigh* this is getting old. Again it feels like the Regenerator mons were just tossed on here to fulfill the requirement. Only reason you have more than 1-2 points is because you have a Wish Passer and Recover on P2, which quenches the thirst of the theme.
EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. Lost your Iron Chef battle and the team seems like it has a hard time with faster threats as there is no Scarf mon or powerful priority on the team.

TOTAL: 12 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. RegeneratorVest Reuniclus is pretty cool along with the use of Bronzong and MirrorCoat Alo.
USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. While you also have Wish and CurseLax, you redefined the Regenerator mons by making Regen Reun wear an AssVest and Alo running Mirror Coat.
EFFECTIVENESS: 7 points. Your team looks very solid on paper, but you lost your Iron Chef battle. :/

TOTAL: 15 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 2 points. Only original thing I see is Regen Scarf Shao.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. You didn't really redefine the Regen mons but you do have other ways to satisfy the "HEALING FACTOR" theme with a WishPasser and Roost on Gligar.
EFFECTIVENESS: 10 points. You won your Iron Chef battle (and the bonus one as well) and this team synergizes fairly well defensively and offensively.

ORIGINALITY: 3 points. First person in the competition I see with AV King and Offensive Tangrowth. Otherwise, the mons are pretty standard lol.
USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. The idea behind Regenerator + Bulky Offense is a pretty amazing way to redefine the idea behind Regenerator and I love it a lot.
EFFECTIVENESS: 8 points. Although you lost your Iron Chef battle, I really like this team (so some personal bias here) but it has everything a good team needs with a wallbreaker / momentum grabber in Infernape, a hazards mon in Dragalge, and decent wallbreakers in King, Tangrowth, and Krook. This team does lack a way to get rid of hazards but it is ok because this team applies a lot of pressure to Defog / Spin the T-Spikes away as the offensive pressure of this team is pretty apparent.

ORIGINALITY: 3 points. Looks pretty standard minus Specs Reun w/ Energy Ball and Defog Mega Burd.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. The team seems to love the support Amoonguss provides and the wallbreaking power of Specs Reun.
EFFECTIVENESS: 8 points. Pretty solid team and you won your Iron Chef battle. However, VoltTurn teams have a hayday once Swampert is weakened / gone (as Krook is weak to U-turn) and most VoltTurn teams have ways to cripple your Regen mons (Specs Overheat or Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-H, Toxic on Entei).

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. SpD RK9 + Lax Tangrowth FTW!!!
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. I like how you use the Regenerator ability to keep your wallbreakers alive while not allowing them to be worn down by a lot of things thanks to them being "faster" with Trick Room support.
EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. Unfortunately you lost your Iron Chef battle, and while original, the natures / set are a bit out there and almost too "surprise factor-y" for the standard metagame.

ORIGINALITY: 2 points. Pretty standard outside of Regen Scarf Shao.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. Regenerator Scarf Shao is really cool, but other than that, the sets feel very standard and thus not "redefined".

EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. Good looking team, but lost your Iron Chef battle which deters you from getting more points.

TOTAL: 11 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. Pairing VoltTurn, a typically fast-paced archetype, with Regenerator, a typically slow-paced archetype, is awesome.
USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. Nothing redefining about the Regenerator mons as CM King is the most common set although Scarf Shao is a cool way to keep your RK mon alive throughout the match.
EFFECTIVENESS: 7 points. Pretty solid team with a defensive backbone coupled with offensive prowess, although you lost your Iron Chef battle.

ORIGINALITY: 5 points. Love the throwback to Gen 5 with SD Pass Shao and love the nod to Hypnosis on Crobat. As well as you being the only contestant with Audino as one of your Regen mons, I am proud to say you earned the full amount of points allowed, lol.
USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. While being the only one to use Audino as a Regenerator mon, Kreme also redefined their roles by making Audino a bulky ass Dual Screens mon w/ Healing Wish support to give another mon on the team a chance and by bringing back Gen 5 with SD Pass Shao.
EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. While it looks like a lot of fun, the team itself just didn't fare well at all against a standard team like xMarth's. That and you lost your Iron Chef battle.

This took a hell of a lot longer than it should've, just saying...but phew it is over, lol. Enjoy!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Yeah, judging for 16 dishes is tough. Honestly when I started this I figured we'd probably have no more than ten entries tops - it's been way more popular than I had guessed.

That said, I do want to encourage anyone willing to put in the time to judge to do so, since that way contestants can get feedback, etc. So, as an incentive to all judges, our judges this round get to pick next round's Secret Ingredient! I'll start a PM with all judges and let them pick, so that our judges are the first to know what to build around next week.

For my own judging, I'm working on a rubric to make judging easier. For example, for originality, I plan to more or less score as follows:

5- Holy crap, this thing took me totally by surprise. Super original, well done.
4- Some really cool new ideas here, although nothing earth shattering.
3- Not really breaking new ground here, but not totally bog standard either. Middle of the road.
2- Mostly standard fare, nothing new here.
1- This looks like you took a well-known team or grabbed an RMT and made some minor changes.
0- OK, you're literally stealing someone's team here, with no real changes at all.

I'm on mobile so I won't have scores up until later today or tomorrow morning, but by having a rubric to go off of, I can pretty quickly look at each team and give it a score.
Double post but w/e. Anyways, wanna say the rubric should be added to each section of the OP (once you get done doing them that is), js lol.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey NV thanks for taking the time for judging. I know it takes a while to do all those evaluations. After you analysis I realized that I may have to defend my team a little in order to win this thing because there are some misunderstandings about my team that I want to make clear. I'm doing this because it would be really nice to have a team that hit number 1 on ladder and won the iron chef challenge. Also I believe becoming an Iron Chef would help me get noticed as a great team builder and eventually a great battler.

ORIGINALITY: My team does have some original sets but at the time I made this team. Slowking wasn't too popular.I was thinking about reunicles as something that can take fighting moves and calm mind sweep, but I chose slowking because of scald and regenerator (which kinda supports my theme). Besides the Arcanine and Twngrowth, the most unoriginal part of my team is not the pokemon themselves, but the composition of them all. Having three water types, 2 pure fire types, and a weed is not original in the slightest. In fast when I get on ladder, my opponent often says something like, 'wow cool team' or, 'this team looks fun'.
USE OF THE THEME: I actually built this team before iron chef so I didn't just try to fit regen core in. Honestly it just happened. The point of the team was to make double banded dogs viable; hence the name of my team. Tangrowth was there because I needed something to take on Feraligatr as well as Salamence. I found out that having Tangrowth on this team is like having a support beam in a tunnel. Regenerator is so good as I stated in the viability thread because I can put things to sleep, knock off, and switch if necessary. Slowking acts as another physical wall while covering some of Tangrowths weaknesses such as fire types and Maero. I have switched back and forth between my walls and to middle ground pokemon in order to win games. My team would not be what it is without Regenerator.
EFFECTIVENESS:
I hit #1 on ladder after going on a 40 game win streak. This team has never lost a room tour match. I believe its the most viable team in the competition. It compensates for the meta. The biggest threat I have is powerful ghost types such as chandy. I have won against chandy with doubles or stealth rocks on field and Empoleon keeping its health up but it becomes 'harder' to win.

I don't wish for NV to change his voting because I don't think that's fair. I hope this helps clarify some things. I'll add replays at the bottom. I don't feel its fair to judge a team off of one Iron Chef battle.

Replays: With known players

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223369122 vs Warzoid
I use regenertor to win this battle. Both Tangrowth ann Slowking were under 5% health as one point. I widdle warzoids slowking down to unsure that mine wins the calm mind war!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223531388 vs DMT
I think if someone sniped me on ladder and built a team to defeat it (barring Chandy) it would be DMT's team. Like in my battle against Christo, I come back from a turn 1 5v6. Arcanine's surprise CB eliminates the biggest threat to my team in this battle.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223359211 vs Waiv
Core too strong. Regenerator core becomes neraly impossible to break.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223361058 vs Ariana Granbull
Just a great battle with great team composition. I had switches to a lot of things and Tangrowth takes on Fletch!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223143829 vs Lindomar
Won with a double at the end. My opponent had the match up but I was able to triumph with the help of some misplays.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225520120
Not sure if this was dodmen but it was his team. Regenerator saved me at the end.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225495879
I lost to hax at the end but it shows off MSwampert

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225257871
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225265451
Battles against dodmen to get number 1 on ladder! Great testimate of this teams viability.
I really didn't feel like addressing this since I didn't want to potentially start anything, and I still don't. As said by others before and contrary to popular belief, Regenerator isn't the theme of this weak but Healing Factor is, considering you only had Regen + Slack Off on Slowking as non-item related ways of recovering health, that's probably going to be a reason you didn't hit full heights for theme use. Regarding originality, how original it was prior to Iron Chef shouldn't really be accounted for here, that isn't really fair lol. Also I've used a Wurmple on ladder before and people said it looked cool lol. Regarding effectiveness and how it shouldn't equate to just one Iron Chef battle deciding how it goes, you're right but let's be honest, not everybody has time to get the amount of evidence you have for your team since this is supposed to be done in about a week or so, I didn't really feel using that as evidence was fair but ehh, the team IS effective and NV giving you an 8 seems good enough to me. Honestly though, your description when you sent in your team should have done all the defending it needed.

I do think the team is original, but the use of the theme is not the best. You said in your description the team is hard to get use to, making It less effective. So I think NV made a fair judgment. Also let people judge for themselves imo. I understand you are being respectful, but no one else is worrying about how their team was judged. Js, cool team tho

nv

The Lost Age
Hey NV thanks for taking the time for judging. I know it takes a while to do all those evaluations. After you analysis I realized that I may have to defend my team a little in order to win this thing because there are some misunderstandings about my team that I want to make clear. I'm doing this because it would be really nice to have a team that hit number 1 on ladder and won the iron chef challenge. Also I believe becoming an Iron Chef would help me get noticed as a great team builder and eventually a great battler.

ORIGINALITY: My team does have some original sets but at the time I made this team. Slowking wasn't too popular.I was thinking about reunicles as something that can take fighting moves and calm mind sweep, but I chose slowking because of scald and regenerator (which kinda supports my theme). Besides the Arcanine and Twngrowth, the most unoriginal part of my team is not the pokemon themselves, but the composition of them all. Having three water types, 2 pure fire types, and a weed is not original in the slightest. In fast when I get on ladder, my opponent often says something like, 'wow cool team' or, 'this team looks fun'.
USE OF THE THEME: I actually built this team before iron chef so I didn't just try to fit regen core in. Honestly it just happened. The point of the team was to make double banded dogs viable; hence the name of my team. Tangrowth was there because I needed something to take on Feraligatr as well as Salamence. I found out that having Tangrowth on this team is like having a support beam in a tunnel. Regenerator is so good as I stated in the viability thread because I can put things to sleep, knock off, and switch if necessary. Slowking acts as another physical wall while covering some of Tangrowths weaknesses such as fire types and Maero. I have switched back and forth between my walls and to middle ground pokemon in order to win games. My team would not be what it is without Regenerator.
EFFECTIVENESS:
I hit #1 on ladder after going on a 40 game win streak. This team has never lost a room tour match. I believe its the most viable team in the competition. It compensates for the meta. The biggest threat I have is powerful ghost types such as chandy. I have won against chandy with doubles or stealth rocks on field and Empoleon keeping its health up but it becomes 'harder' to win.

I don't wish for NV to change his voting because I don't think that's fair. I hope this helps clarify some things. I'll add replays at the bottom. I don't feel its fair to judge a team off of one Iron Chef battle.

Replays: With known players

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223369122 vs Warzoid
I use regenertor to win this battle. Both Tangrowth ann Slowking were under 5% health as one point. I widdle warzoids slowking down to unsure that mine wins the calm mind war!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223531388 vs DMT
I think if someone sniped me on ladder and built a team to defeat it (barring Chandy) it would be DMT's team. Like in my battle against Christo, I come back from a turn 1 5v6. Arcanine's surprise CB eliminates the biggest threat to my team in this battle.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223359211 vs Waiv
Core too strong. Regenerator core becomes neraly impossible to break.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223361058 vs Ariana Granbull
Just a great battle with great team composition. I had switches to a lot of things and Tangrowth takes on Fletch!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-223143829 vs Lindomar
Won with a double at the end. My opponent had the match up but I was able to triumph with the help of some misplays.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225520120
Not sure if this was dodmen but it was his team. Regenerator saved me at the end.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225495879
I lost to hax at the end but it shows off MSwampert

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225257871
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225265451
Battles against dodmen to get number 1 on ladder! Great testimate of this teams viability.
I really didn't feel like addressing this since I didn't want to potentially start anything, and I still don't. As said by others before and contrary to popular belief, Regenerator isn't the theme of this weak but Healing Factor is, considering you only had Regen + Slack Off on Slowking as non-item related ways of recovering health, that's probably going to be a reason you didn't hit full heights for theme use. Regarding originality, how original it was prior to Iron Chef shouldn't really be accounted for here, that isn't really fair lol. Also I've used a Wurmple on ladder before and people said it looked cool lol. Regarding effectiveness and how it shouldn't equate to just one Iron Chef battle deciding how it goes, you're right but let's be honest, not everybody has time to get the amount of evidence you have for your team since this is supposed to be done in about a week or so, I didn't really feel using that as evidence was fair but ehh, the team IS effective and NV giving you an 8 seems good enough to me. Honestly though, your description when you sent in your team should have done all the defending it needed.
I do think the team is original, but the use of the theme is not the best. You said in your description the team is hard to get use to, making It less effective. So I think NV made a fair judgment. Also let people judge for themselves imo. I understand you are being respectful, but no one else is worrying about how their team was judged. Js, cool team tho
Man I didn't mean to stir up controversy lol. I mean I wanted to stir up discussion so I guess this is one way of doing it, lol.

Man I didn't mean to stir up controversy lol. I mean I wanted to stir up discussion so I guess this is one way of doing it, lol.
No they were right. In the future I will have much more detailed descriptions. I will aslo read the ingredients better because I thought it was just about regenerator.

Reactions: nv
Originality: 1/5. Everything on here is the most standard shit ever lol, standard cores and sets and everything. Pretty sure the most creative thing on this team was using Heal Bell > Aromatherapy on Florges. RIP

Theme: 5/5. The team is the epitome of "Healing Factor" with 5/6 mons able to recover on their own in addition to Wish Passing.

Effectiveness: 5/10. I mean yeah you've got most of the big threats covered, nice type synergy, and etc and there's no real glaring weaknesses to the team (except Sub CM Chandelure, which 6-0s. Even choiced variants do work once they Trick your Snorlax.). However I feel like the team is in general way too passive to be able to revenge kill things, letting stuff like that Sub SD Cobalion from the battle get out of hand easily. I could see the same happening for stuff like SD Gatr, CB Tyrantrum, and Work Up Pidgeot (and again, there's literally nothing you can do against Chandelure lol). Guess the team might work well on the ladder and stuff but most competent players teambuild with this kind of team in mind.

Overall: 11/20
Originality: 3/5. Tangrowth is not exactly a common Pokemon and the team made a nice use of it, and CB Arcanine + CB Entei seems pretty cool since Arcanine lures Entei's counters with Wild Charge and CC and then Entei can do work. Other than that, nothing too crazy creative, but solid.

Theme: 3.5/5. Regen core was there and definitely contributes to the team, but having two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon with a Defogger that's insanely overloaded kind of takes away from that.

Effectiveness: 7/10. Again, CB Arcanine is a surprisingly good partner for Entei I guess because it can lure Entei's counters with its coverage, and it worked especially well because you had a plethora of Suicune/Water checks in the back. And RD Mega Pert can clean up once those two wallbreak. However, while the FFWWWG core is cute and all, it does open you up to some common threats; for example I can see a crippling weakness to LO Hydreigon as it basically 1v1s every member of the team. Same goes for stuff like Mix LO Mence, Krookodile (Pursuit traps 3 things on your switch to Tangrowth), Heliolisk even. Also TSpikes look like they hurt a ton with all the pressure on Empoleon. Still, solid team as your battles have shown.

Overall: 13.5/20.
Originality: 5/5. Trick Specs Reuniclus is really cool. Idk why people are using Future Sight with Specs cause of the sim bug, but Trick is definitely a nice option. Nice ruse with Regen on this instead of Shao. SpDef Amoonguss with Synthesis is also new and helps against stuff like Mega Blastoise and Hydrei; without Synthesis you'd be forced to switch out once you're down to like 40-50%. Although this isn't exactly "original", CB Krook is a cool thing to see with Dread Plate being the preferred set as of late,

Theme: 5/5. Regen core was there and work svery nicely with the rest of the team.

Effectiveness: 7.5/10. Would have been like 8-8.5 but I guess I'm supposed to take the loss into account. I really like this team a lot, Mienshao U-turning to Specs Reuni seems really good especially once you Pursuit stuff like Slowking so you can spam Psychic. Amoong+Pert is a nice core to fall back on too, but the team's got enough offensive pressure to prevent stuff from setting up and overwhelming you most of the time (except Sub SD Cobalion I guess RIP).
hit them very hard with krook and reun until all the opponent's pokemon are dead
11/10 gameplan.

Overall: 17.5/20.
Originality: 4/5. Specs Hydreigon is a cool set that is often overlooked in favor of LO for wallbreaking, but destroys balanced cores that rely on Florges to counter it (especially since now that Bold Florges is the norm). Knock Off Gligar is also a cool idea to help against stuff like Suicune and Cresselia, giving your Slowking a much easier time in a CM war.

Theme: 4.5/5. Regen core was there and while your VoltTurn balance doesn't have a lot of healing going on otherwise, it doesn't need to and really shouldn't lol.

Effectiveness: 8/10. I almost want to completely disregard the match against Christo because had he not confuse/full confused your Hydreigon turn 1, his Pidgeot would have been dead leaving Amoonguss to basically beat the rest of his team lol. And the 6-0 against YABO really showcased how the team works. I really like the two nukes+four defensive backbone mons build (although ScarfApe isn't really a nuke, it does provide you with a reliable revenge killer against things that manage to set up against the rest of the core), and VoltTurn support to Specs Hydreigon is powerful. One suggestion I have to offer is to replace EQ with Stone Edge on Infernape though; this lets you revenge kill +1 or Choice Scarf Mence after Stealth Rock and some prior damage. Good team!

Overall: 16.5/20.
Originality: 5/5. Easily the most creative: SD Leech Seed Tangrowth, SpDef Slowking, Fake Out Salac Berry Mienshao, and Colbur Explosion Azelf which essentially won you the game vs YABO.

Theme: 5/5. Slowking+Tangrowth contributed to your defensive backbone while keeping up the offensive pressure; Mienshao as well.

Effectiveness: 8/10.

Overall: 18.5/20.
Originality: 5/5. What looks like a standard balanced core with a couple threats to break stuff turns out to be an offensive nightmare for stuff looking to get free turns off of a passive core. LO TR Chandelure in particularly looks really cool since a lot of teams are forced to pivot around Chandelure's moves, giving you easy momentum and kills. Fire Blast on Slowking is a nice touch to lure Shaymins that look like they could be problematic for your team, although Ice Beam might have been a better choice to do the same in addition to bop Hydreigon and Mega Amph switchins :]

Theme: 5/5. Slowking's Regenerator allows you to set Trick Room reliably throughout the match and Mienshao's Regen lets it spam Knock Off and U-turn while negating the recoil damage (Torn-T v2??)

Effectiveness: 6/10. Again, the surprise factor is what lets this team shine. Unfortunately your loss to YABO showed that the team can be slightly weak to standard defensive cores, especially Suicune which looks particularly problematic for this team. The individual members of the team seem a bit overloaded as they all have multiple jobs and with 3 SR weak mons and no way to remove Rocks, it really hurts your team's ability to check the things they need to. Still, if you're able to overwhelm the opponent early game, it looks like the team could be really successful.

Overall: 16/20.
Originality: 4/5. Specs Reuni, Qwilfish, and Overcoat Forry are all pretty original things, I'm especially a fan of Qwilfish on that team as it complements Forry nicely. Nothing amazingly unheard of, but still some nice creative touches.

Theme: 4/5. Specs Reuni and LO Mienshao make a nice powerful offensive core that works together to wear the opposition down. The team as a whole doesn't necessarily exemplify Healing Factor, however.

Effectiveness: 6.5/10. I like the core of Reuni+Mienshao to break stuff down and you've got a really nice hazard core to back it up. SD Mega Snow looks amazing on that team alongside Reuniclus especially, with Qwilfish to take the Fire- and Fighting-type attacks directed at it early game. However the team is really slow and looks to be weak to strong special attackers such as Mega Ampharos, Nidoqueen , Mega Blastoise, etc - the ones that Forry can't check. VoltTurn especially looks painful as even standard Mag+Bee runs right through you. So yeah while it looks like the team could do well against slower, balanced/passive teams, offensive teams look like kind of a nightmare.

Overall: 14.5/20.
Originality: 3/5. Pretty standard team with the hidden gem of Specs Slowking here as a nice way to cripple special walls like Blissey and Umbreon that give the rest of your team trouble.

Theme: 5/5. Regen wallbreaking core backed by a nice balanced backbone and Healing Wish Shaymin is a great way to use Healing Factor to revive one of your offensive threats late game.

Effectiveness: 5/10. So Florges/P2/Nidoqueen is a fairly solid balanced core, but it can get overwhelmed fairly easily by something as simple as Taunt Crobat or Choice Band Heracross. Krookodile is also a massive pain for this team. Strong special attackers like Mega Pidgeot and Ampharos have a pretty easy time wearing your core down and it doesn't help that nothing on your team is faster than Mienshao. And with Shaymin lacking recovery, something as simple as Suicune could wear you down to the point where it's difficult to deal with it anymore. Finally, the team doesn't really look like it has an answer for Dad's Dad-like teams since you don't really have a win condition against fat teams like this.
Overall: 15.5/20.
Originality: 3/5. Not really anything groundbreaking, though Mirror Coat Alomomola is cool (again, still kind of a set to be expected though) and AV Reuni could do some work although I question its use over AV Slowking which has a much better typing and arguably better movepool. I guess Reuniclus has more immediate power.

Theme: 5/5. AV + Regenerator.

Effectiveness: 5/10. You said it yourself, the nature of your slow team makes it extremely weak to stuff like CB Hera, Mega Sharpedo, and generally everything that isn't specifically handled by one of your bulky mons. In a metagame where powerful wallbreakers are everywhere, your team seems to be unfortunately easily broken.
Overall: 13/20.
Originality: 1/5. Just about as standard as it gets, with the one exception being offensive all-out attacking Mega Ampharos which has recently fallen out of favor while the physically defensive one has been gaining more usage.

Theme: 5/5. VoltTurn with a solid win condition in CM Slowking is really solid and it's great to have a nice revenge killer in Mienshao.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10. Really well built team with most of its bases covered, and the two wins against Iron Chefs showcased the effectiveness of the team. Mienshao+Krookodile is good as always and, along with Ampharos, has the potential to break through some standard balance cores. If I were to use this team outside of this competition though, I'd probably change Mienshao to Reckless to get KOs on important things like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Aerodactyl, though.
Overall: 14.5/20.
Originality: 3.5/5. LO Tangrowth is what really stood out to me here and the moveset you used is perfect for UU imo. I also like CB Infernape, as with EQ it's able to go through a lot of its normal checks like Chandelure, Arcanine, and Tentacruel. Work on your nicknames though :L

Theme: 4.5/5. Though the rest of the team doesn't really display "Healing Factor", I /really/ like the concept of a bulky offensive Regenerator core rather than a defensively oriented one.

Effectiveness: 7.5/10. Again, I really enjoy bulky offense and a Regenerator core makes it even more effective. Your team is really able to maintain its offensive presence in a battle with Toxic Spikes, all of its powerful hitters, and SD Abomasnow waiting in the back. On the other hand, there are a couple threats that look painful for your team to deal with, such as LO Hydreigon if it comes in on Krookodile. Can't beat every threat though, good team.
Overall: 15.5/20.
Originality: 3/5. Specs Reuniclus with Energy Ball is definitely the most original thing about this team and I could see it getting some surprise kills on stuff like Krookodile and Mega Swampert. Very original Pidgeot set as well, with everything else being standard.

Theme: 3/5. Not really centralized around healing, but has got the Healing Factor kinda slapped on there.

Effectiveness: 6/10. Eh I'm not really sure how well that Pidgeot set would work in practice. With Scarf Salamence as your revenge killer to things like DD Feraligatr, it's gonna be pretty important to keep Rocks off your side of the field. However, with Defog Pidgeot without Roost, it's gonna be insanely hard for Pidgeot to keep rocks off the field while also performing its role as a wallbreaker. I would probably use Roost over Protect at least and probably Work Up or Heat Wave over Substitute honestly. Nice win over Toenail though!
Overall: 12/20.
Originality: 5/5. Very creative team with the threats LO Tangrowth and NP 3 attacks Slowking, backed by Trick Room support from Aromatisse and Cresselia. Very interesting Sub Toxic Cresselia as well.

Theme: 4/5. Regenerator lets Slowking and Tangrowth come in more than one time, especially backed by their bulk. Wish support from Aromatisse helps Cresselia too.

Effectiveness: 7/10. Really cool use of Trick Room to let your threats go in, although I would have been interested to see an offensive Arcanine (maybe keep Morning Sun though) over your current set. Wish I got to see a battle with this team haha. The team kinda looks weak to bulky stuff though like Empoleon, Snorlax, and other stuff like that. The originality/surprise value of the Trick Room "balance" is what really stood out to me though.
Overall: 16/20.
Originality: 2/5. Maybe it's just after looking at the previous team, but this team just screams standard. From turn 1 your opponent will basically know what every 'mon does and how you're gonna play that game. Refresh Pidgeot is cool though, and Crunch Snorlax isn't seen a whole lot.

Theme: 2/5. Regenerator definitely helps your team out, but it really doesn't seem 100% necessary for this team. I really don't like Regenerator on ScarfShao as it /really/ prefers Reckless to get a lot more KOs and clean up more easily late game. Regenerator is almost useless on a Scarfer with U-turn that resists Stealth Rock to begin with.

Effectiveness: 5/10. First thing I'll say is that using non-Sleep Talk Snorlax is a huge mistake. TSpikes is cool with Mega Pidgeot, but you basically have nothing for Mega Pidgeot's biggest enemy and one of the best mons in the tier right now: Mega Aerodactyl, which stomps all over the team, especially with 0 HP Nidoqueen which is OHKOd by the appropriate coverage move fairly easily. I think this team could have more potential if non-Sleep Talk Snorlax and Tangrowth (and to an extent Tentacruel too) didn't just kill any momentum that you managed to gain with your offensive threats. Also again, Regen Scarf Mienshao is pretty bad.
Overall: 9/20.
Originality: 3/5. SD Beedrill is definitely not seen a whole lot (kind of questioning its effectiveness without Protect though), relatively standard sets otherwise.

Theme: 3/5. Kind of running out of things to say here, but I feel that Slowking was kind of tossed on this team in order to fulfill the dual Regenerator requirement. It has the habit of killing your momentum against things like Hydreigon and Empoleon, the former of which threatens your team especially if Taunt, and the latter of which can take control of the hazard game from there, which is absolutely essential for VoltTurn. See the above rate for Mienshao discussion.

Effectiveness: 6.5/10. Solid VoltTurn team, but again I think that Slowking really takes away from the whole momentum aspect of the team. Regenerator Scarf Mienshao also really takes away from your ability to sweep/clean late game as Reckless is the much better option. Also not having Protect on Beedrill seems really suboptimal, I'd definitely replace Knock Off or Swords Dance for it. Nice team nonetheless.
Overall: 12.5/20.
Originality: 5/5. Top 2 most creative/original teams in this competition. Not a single person will ever expect Screens Audino with SD Pass Mienshao to 4 threats. What the fuck is stopping Coba Berry Mienshao behind screens...also Hypnosis Crobat for more easy setup.

Theme: 4/5. Having Regenerator on Audino lets you set screens the first time, then come back the second time with more health to set screens again and then Healing Wish. Same thing with Mienshao, even if it eats a weak Scald or something the first time it goes to pass, it'll be able to come back with a decent amount of health again especially with screens up.

Effectiveness: 6/10. Damn this was hard to rate, I wish I got to see some battles with this team. First thing that stood out to me was the lack of Stealth Rock, which will really help your team get the KOs it needs and pressure stuff like Crobat from coming in on Mienshao a lot. There's also a LOT of setup turns required to make this team work effectively. I really wanted to rate this higher because it looks like such a fun concept but yeah looking at these flaws on paper without having a battle to see the results kind of forces me to give it a 6.
Overall: 15/20.

Last edited:

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright It's ya boi Ogwanka comin at ya with a hot rate
Imma post a blank for now but team rates will be added on one at a time.
Originality 2/5
The team is nothing new, no new sets, no new pairings, nothing particularly stands out simple as that(however I like mence on the team it isn't too original I just like it)
Use of Theme 5/5
You used two mons and made a team that maximizes the actual ability by giving your regen mons plenty of things to switch out to without foddering
Effectiveness 5/10
The biggest problem I see with this team is how it gets absolutely diddled by SD hera, SD gatr, and stall breakers in general which you have nothing for
Total:12/20

Originality 4/5
The team showed some not so standard sets however it is more so the core in general that earns you points. I have never seen a team with one huge 6 mon fwg core so thats cool and you used it effectively so gj here.
Use of Theme 2/5
This maybe harsh but I really think you failed to build a core where the regen mons could be optimized as NV said they seem very forced and I don't like that
Effectiveness 8/10
In all honesty I question the quality of the team on paper however you topped ladder and beat a chef so I can not deny you the points, the only reason I didn't go higher is because of how it looks on paper I would go into more detail but I need the speedy rates so just take this gj 8 n_n
Total:14/20

Originality 4/5
Choice Reun is a god tier set that I wanted everyone to use but I guess some of yall aren't men, sp def amoong I believe is the less common set so points for that too I guess.
Use of Theme 4/5
Amoongus obviously works however using mien provided a nice little ruse and reun can eat hits and then savage something. The only problem I have is neither reun nor amoongus have the team support to constantly be switching so one point off
Effectiveness 6/10
Like the team a lot but you have some flaws I just can't see past. The main one being that your defogger loses to a lot of hazard setters and when using a regen core keeping hazards off the field is extremely important. Overall I like the idea and you have some cool stuff but the loss kinda pushes you down.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227107433
Originality 3/5
I really like specs hydra and scarf nape is fairly uncommon but the rest of the team is kinda standard except dual status amoong but meh not worth another point
Use of Theme 2/5
Your team can't really support your regen mons all that well as far as switching is concerned and has trouple surviving in general
Effectiveness 30/10 get rekt yabo 7/10
I like nuke strats however I think your core is kinda weak plus you get hit very hard by mega snow also maybe it's just me but the core does not seem too hard to break.

Originality 5/5
SD tangrowth with vine whip is amazing accuracy>power xd. Colbur berry azelf with PuP new meta garbage but original lol. Finally endure salac is pretty freakin cool lol.
Use of Theme 4/5
Plenty of healing here with 4 members having recovery and one mon who can receive wishes well so gj here
Effectiveness 6/10
While winning scores you points your team is literally half gimmick and relies purely on surprise factor so unfortunately I can't really give you too many points here. On a side note cool team n_n
Total:15/20

Originality 5/5
So far this is my favorite team, TR is gucci af I particularly like chandy and king on this team tr chandy is really unique never seen it before.
Use of Theme 3/5
While using king's regen to constantly get up TR is a nice idea regen cores require a plethora of chances to switch out without sacking which your team fails to do.
Effectiveness 4/10
I like the team I really do however TR is just not that effective in the current meta and you lost your game so can't give u many points here.

Originality 4/5
Qwil needs more love tbh it is so good but rarely sees its way onto good teams which it has here, Specs reun and LO mienshao are pretty uncommon so points there as well.
Use of Theme 3/5
I have to really disagree with Hogg here I think your regen core is a good example of how offensive regen cores should work, nice wallbreakers that can spam attacks and eat moves like toss/scald and switch out for later wall breaking. However hogg was correct in saying that your team does not having a healing core so points off there.
Effectiveness 8/10
The team looks really solid and really only has a glaring problem with banded krook with SP but that is pretty rare. You won your game which gives you not only evidence of quality but also a few extra points I like the team a lot man gj

Originality 3/5
Mien LO isn't common and CS slowking is pretty interesting never seen it before
Use of Theme 4/5
You have a good healing core however Mien and king as wall breakers is good and all but they don't pair all too well with a defensive core
Effectiveness 6/10
Your team is not only painfully slow but also hit hard by strong special attackers and hera/machamp put all kinds of pressure on you also you lost your game
Total:13/20

Originality 5/5
AV reun, Mirror alo, bronzong and taunt hydra are all fairly uncommon or are just never seen so full points here
Use of Theme 4/5
You have a nice healing core along with a team that seems like regen found a natural place on the team.
Effectiveness 5/10
Frankly the team is way too weak to wall breakers, much like almost every other team you really struggle with hera especially, also lost your game so points off there.

Originality 1/5
Literally nothing unique here just standard vol turn with slowking
Use of Theme 4/5
Volt turn really helps maximize regen so good job here
Effectiveness 9/10
Pretty much the best team here so far, volt turn is pretty much one of the best strats in the current meta and you beat Marth which shows just how strong the team is

Originality 4/5
LO tang is pretty unique while slowking with AV is pretty much dead these days finally dragalge much like qwil needs more usage cause it is such a monster
Use of Theme 3/5
Frankly your team has no real healing factor outside of regen and the rest of your team just isn't bulky enough to support regen however AV and LO are pretty solid for regen mons
Effectiveness 7/10
Other then getting almost 6-0d by hera, the team seems solid but you lost to christo so points off here

Originality 3/5
Specs reun is unique and tect/defog pidge is rarely ever used especially with both moves on the same set however the rest of the team is fairly standard
Use of Theme 3/5
Much like chris you just don't have the healing factor outside of your regen mons while specs reun is nice offensively and amoongus is nice defensively this is just another case where regen mons seem forced onto the team
Effectiveness 7/10
Dodmen nailed it tbh mega pidge as a defogger is really risky without roost and with regen you need to keep hazards off the field to win games but you beat toenail so u get some points

Originality 5/5
A pretty odd trick room team with king as a possible sweeper, LO tang, defog aero, and tr aroma are all pretty uncommon
Use of Theme 5/5
Really bulky team while using regen mons with LO as hard hitters, and even a bit of residual stall possibilities with wisp, toxic, and leech seed
Effectiveness 5/10
It looks like a solid tr team but TR overall is just a poor playstyle imo and you lost your game so points off for that

Originality 1/5
Literally everything here is in top 2 most used sets for each mon so no innovation here
Use of Theme 4/5
A bulky team that regen helps on but scarf shao is kinda odd on the team
Effectiveness 4/10
Not only did you lose your game but your team is savaged by maero and banded hera really hurts the team since you have no wish support for tenta
Total:9/20

Originality 3/5
Very standard in all honesty the only thing getting you points here is AA shao with regen scarf and SD bee which I find interesting
Use of Theme 4/5
Once again volt turn is really solid with regen because of the way you can easily gain momentum and keep it going
Effectiveness 6/10
Volturn is really good but this team isn't really great since you have the momentum killer slowking and bee not having tect makes you pretty damn weak to fast mons early game also I personally hate forre as a spinner especially on voltturn since it is so easy to block

Originality 5/5
Coba mienshao with bp, screens audino, and hypno bat are pretty original
Use of Theme 4/5
Screens help your lack of natural bulk and bp on a regen mon is great cause you get multiple opportunities to pass
Effectiveness 6/10
Your team is really cool but frankly lack of hazards is undesirable with a BP sweep team also you lost your game and pretty much rely on screens being up+shao passing so a team with a strong offensive presence or phazers really bones your whole strat

Last edited:
This Tournament is based only on results in this context so please avoid to advertise the team since no one cares about peaks or battles made outside of this tournament vs other people.

This Tournament is based only on results in this context so please avoid to advertise the team since no one cares about peaks or battles made outside of this tournament vs other people.
Due to much controversy im taking down my defense post. Outside battles tend to matter for effectiveness sake. I dont understand how someone can judge a team by one battle and a description. There are a lot of things that look good on paper that dont work.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Dad's Dad
  • Originality: 1. I love this type of semi-stall team, but Florges + M-Aggron core with a Snorlax on the back end for sweeping and handling Nidoqueen is about as standard as it gets. In fact, I can show you replays a couple of teams that use basically this exact same combination of 'mons (Florges/M-Aggron/Snorlax/FatMence + 2 regenerator mons), including one I used to ladder with :P
  • Use of Theme: 4. While it's standard, there's no denying that this type of team makes great use of its regenerator core, and definitely exemplifies Healing Factor.
  • Effectiveness: 6. This team is a standard for a reason - it's a really solid way to build a stall or semi-stall team. That said, there's also a reason this team has been diminishing in popularity as of late, and that reason is Gatr. You can try to play around it with Aggron, Amoongus and Mence, but it will wear the hell out of your team easily (and the SD version can just eat right through you at +2). Also, you have a big weakness to Specs Chandelure, who outspeeds and 2HKOs every member of the team bar Snorlax (who hates being Tricked).
  • FINAL SCORE: 11.
DaSpoofy
  • Originality: 4. While none of the individual sets are completely groundbreaking (although CB Arcanine is neat), this is definitely not your standard team. Your double dog offensive core is a rare one, and as CSB said, that double Fire/triple Water/singular Grass core was definitely unexpected.
  • Use of Theme: 2. You use the regenerator core, but you don't really do anything interesting with it. Defensive Regen Tangrowth is nice to come in time and time again against Gatr, who otherwise threatens to run through your team, but for the most part this use of the theme feels average.
  • Effectiveness: 8. I'll be honest - when I first saw this team, I thought it would be mediocre at best. However, in actual practice, it looks like it plays surprisingly well. Arcanine and Entei form a surprisingly good offensive duo, and Rain Dance MegaPert is a great way of cleaning through weakened teams. However, you don't really have any consistent way of beating stall teams, as your team is highly susceptible to status and your wallbreakers look like they can get broken down. Still, this is a very solid team, and one of the better ones this round.
  • FINAL SCORE: 14 (does not include 3 bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
newfren
  • Originality: 3. This went right down the middle for me - there were some neat choices here, but nothing too crazy. I really liked your Specs Reuni (who made some additional appearances this round), and I liked your take on balanced offense, but there was nothing here that was new enough to make me sit up and go "wow."
  • Use of Theme: 3. Like the above, this was right down the middle for me. Your healing factor was definitely present, but it didn't necessarily define the team. A solid presence, however.
  • Effectiveness: 6. It's a solid enough team, but there are a fair number of threats that seem to more or less stop you cold. Chief among them is Roar Suicune, who Amoongus really can't scratch after a boost - your best bet is to try to Trick Specs onto it, but as we've seen on some Iron Chef replays, giving Specs to a boosting Suicune is terrible idea. As the replay showed you also really struggle at finding anything that can switch into a Nido. So yeah, solid team, but has some flaws that keep it from going beyond average IMO.
  • FINAL SCORE: 12.
Mazz
  • Originality: 4. Several unexpected (though not unheard of) sets such as Specs Hydreigon, Knock Off Gligar, SpDf Forry and double powder Amoongus set this team apart from the rest of the crowd. From looking at your team in Preview someone could wind up being very surprised.
  • Use of Theme: 3. A solid enough Healing Factor, with the fairly common core of Amoongus and Slowking plus some additional walling support from Roost Gligar. You didn't do anything new or exciting with the Secret Ingredient, but you definitely made use of it.
  • Effectiveness: 7. Despite the fact that you lost your first Iron Chef battle (and your claims that the team is bad), this looks like a pretty good team both on paper and in your replays. The fact that you almost brought things back after losing just about half your team in your first battle helps demonstrate this. Your biggest problem is that you just don't really have any switch-ins to Mega-Pidgeot, and only one mon that can outspeed and take it out (and that mon can't switch in). You might be able to play around this by bluffing scarf on Hydreigon or working to get Slowking in safely, but it's a pretty big disadvantage that keeps me from giving you a higher score here.
  • FINAL SCORE: 14.
teal6
  • Originality: 5. No question here - this was one of the most original teams of the bunch. Swords Dance Tangrowth, physical PuP Azelf (with Colbur!) and Regenerator Endure Mienshao meant half your team was made up of entirely unconventional surprise sets.
  • Use of Theme: 4. You were one of the few to use Regenerator in a particularly unique way: in particular, I'm talking about the Regenerator Endure/Reversal Mienshao. While I have some qualms with its effectiveness (which I'll get to in the next section), it is a wholly unique idea, using Regenerator to allow you to use Endure/Reversal multiple times (which common entry hazards usually prevent). This plus your triple-Regen core put you a cut above the rest.
  • Effectiveness: 5. This may seem a bit off, since you beat Iron Chef YABO with this team, but I do have some concerns with your team's effectiveness. While you showed a lot of innovation when building, some of that innovation seems to come at the price of consistency. Endure Mienshao, for instance, is a really cool idea - but with Salac only activating once, and the fact that you sacrifice coverage for Fake Out and Endure, it can't really do much beyond the first time it comes in. Swords Dance Tangrowth is another cool idea, with Regen giving it a nice niche over Abomasnow, but Grass + Rock is fairly mediocre coverage-wise, and you're entirely reliant on catching your counters on the switch. You might have gotten more mileage out of Sleep Powder over Leech Seed to at least give you more setup opportunities. All in all this is a cool team, and can win based on surprise factor, but I worry that it will not stand the test of time.
Colbrushie
  • Originality: 4. You definitely get some good points in originality for using rarely seen sets, such as LO TR Slowking and TR Chandelure (who I really haven't seen used at all this gen). While it's not the pinnacle of innovation, it's definitely one of the more unique teams we've seen this round.
  • Use of Theme: 3. This is obviously a very offensive team, so your Healing Factor is limited, but you make good use of Regenerator despite that, with it adding a defensive backbone to your otherwise HO team. I waffled a lot between 2 and 3 for this one, but in the end I'm going with my gut and giving you a 3.
  • Effectiveness: 6. I love Trick Room teams, and this is a pretty solid one, but it seems like your team will struggle mightily with balance and bulkier teams in general. The only thing you have that can reliably break Suicune is SD Mega-Snow, who hates burns, and DD Gatr looks like it'll just eat through your team with a boost. That last could be a little less of an issue if you move 4 extra EVs into Crobat's Speed, so that you can outspeed +1 Adamant Gatr, but it's still a problem. As you mentioned, Krook also wreaks havoc with your team, easily KOing both of your TR setters and threatening everything but Abomasnow with its STABs.
  • FINAL SCORE: 13.
Euphonos
  • Originality: 4. Another sighting of Specs Reuni and SpDf Forry - and Overcoat to boot! Qwilfish is also an underrated but scary defensive threat that should almost certainly see more use in UU. And while it's becoming more common, Taunt LO Hydreigon is a fun threat that deserves to be seen more. So while nothing here is ground breaking, it's definitely not a standard team.
  • Use of Theme: 3. I like your choice of Specs Future Sight Reuni, and it sits right at home alongside LO Regen Mienshao as underrated wallbreakers. You don't really do anything new or interesting with Regenerator, and I wouldn't specifically call your team a Healing Factor team, but you use it well enough.
  • Effectiveness: 7. This is a really solid team, despite some minor errors (Specs Future Sight doesn't really work, since you lose the Specs boost on Future Sight if you switch, and you're missing EVs on Forry). You've got a decent hazard/defensive core, some excellent wallbreakers and an awesome win condition in SD Mega-Snow. That said - good lord, what the heck do you do against a Mega-Pidgeot? Nothing on your team can switch into a Hurricane, and the only things that can potentially scare it are a fully healthy Hydreigon (which it will probably just U-turn or hard switch out of) or a +2 Mega-Snow. If it weren't for the fact that Bird Jesus is everywhere I'd give this team an 8, but as it is I think a 7 is fair.
  • FINAL SCORE: 14 (does not include bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
Sacri'
  • Originality: 3. This looks like a fairly standard team on the surface, although Specs Slowking and LO Healing Wish Shaymin (the latter of which isn't exactly a rarity, but not the most common set) keep you from getting a 2 here.
  • Use of Theme: 3. Sorry if these comments feel like they're getting shorter. You definitely take advantage of Regenerator, and expand on the theme a bit with your other mons, but the team doesn't necessarily exemplify "Healing Factor" to me.
  • Effectiveness: 5. Let's get the Specs FS issue out of the way now - Specs Future Sight doesn't really work, since you lose the Specs boost on Future Sight if you switch. Now, onto the team itself, you've got a pretty good defensive core of Florges/P2, but the fact that you went physically defensive on both means you'll pretty easily get worn down by fast special wallbreakers. Pidgeot and Alakazam in particular just look like they will wreak havoc with this team, and once it gets a boost CM Reuni becomes pretty much unstoppable. You also don't really have a solid win condition against bulkier teams, with your hardest hitters being Mienshao and Slowking, the former of whom is still pretty easy to wear down, and the latter of whom lacks the coverage to sweep.
LilOuOn
  • Originality: 4. PDef Bronzong, Taunt Hydreigon (as I mentioned before it's getting popular, but it's still nice to see), Mirrormola and AV Reuni all set you above the average team as far as originality goes.
  • Use of Theme: 4. Assault Vest and Regenerator just go hand in hand. For that matter, Wish and Regenerator do, too. You don't just benefit from Regenerator - you make it a key part of your strategy.
  • Effectiveness: 6. You mentioned your issues right off the bat: powerful wallbreakers such as Guts Hera and SD Gatr tend to bust through your defensive core, and there's not much you can do about it. While you talk about making aggressive plays to get around them, there's nothing stopping your opponent from making aggressive plays too. Despite that, though, this is a pretty solid team, and with a few tweaks this could be one of my favorites from the competition.
Decision Makers
  • Originality: 2. This team doesn't really do anything new or exciting. I like bulky VoltTurn a lot, but this is pretty standard as far as bulky VoltTurn teams go.
  • Use of Theme: 4. On the other hand, I think bulky VoltTurn works friggin' beautifully alongside Regenerator mons in general and the healing factor theme. Your whole point is about gaining momentum and preventing the opposing team from wearing you down - sounds very much like Healing Factor to me.
  • Effectiveness: 9. I'll go ahead and say it now - I think this was overall the best team in the competition. It's really solid against a wide variety of threats and playstyles, and you demonstrated that by beating not one but two Iron Chefs (including one against Iron Chef xMarth, who was otherwise undefeated). You miss out on a 10 because it's not perfect - Slurpuff just eats through your team if it gets a turn to set up, and it can get that turn against fully half of your team. Also, Gatr can potentially break through your team - without a Reckless boost Scarfshao can't OHKO it. The latter is a concern but able to be played around without making changes (rocks plus anyone's U-turn will put it into HJK range), but the former is pretty deadly to your team. All in all, it's enough to prevent you from getting a 10.
  • FINAL SCORE: 15 (does not include the bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
OG_Wanka
  • Originality: 3. LO Tangrowth and AV Slowking (which used to be a lot more popular, but mostly is dropped in favor of CM or T-Wave sets these days) are the standouts here. Beyond that, nothing too exciting.
  • Use of Theme: 3. I do like offensive uses of Regenerator as seen with Tangrowth, and as I mentioned earlier AV and Regen pair up fairly well. I'm not sure this team exemplifies Healing Factor, but you get good use out of the theme.
  • Effectiveness: 7. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for no-fucks-given offense. This dish looks like it does a good job at keeping up offensive pressure against most teams. That said, I do worry about how wise it is to run a team built around switching and maintaining momentum without hazard support. Considering that your strongest wallbreaker is Infernape, I think this is definitely a concern. I also worry that you'll struggle against things like Scarf Hydreigon that can effectively gain momentum or put a major hurt on every member of your team (at least until Mega-Snow is at +2). So, solid and above average team, but it has some flaws that prevent me from giving it a higher score.
vexyyyy
  • Originality: 3. Double powder Amoongus and Sub/Protect MPidge stand out, although the rest of your team is fairly standard. I do like seeing CB Krook more often, though, I've got to say.
  • Use of Theme: 3. You've got your healing factor as an important if not essential part of the team. (Sorry, I'm really running out of unique ways to describe a 3 here :P)
  • Effectiveness: 7. You have some cool offensive threats like CB Krook to help break teams down for a Pidgeot sweep, but I must confess, I'm really skeptical about the Pidgeot set. Hurricane's not the worst attack for a mono-attacking set, not by a long shot, but Substitute/Protect seems like overkill, and Defog on a rocks-weak mon without recovery (even Lefties) seems like a risk. Also, I've mentioned this a couple of times, but Specs + Future Sight doesn't actually work, because Future Sight loses the Specs boost if the user switches out. It's obviously a good team, as demonstrated by your victory against Iron Chef Hairy Toenail (his sole loss!), but I think it could be better.
  • FINAL SCORE: 13 (does not include the bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
daedalus1103
  • Originality: 4. Finally, NP Slowking! It's probably my favorite Slowking set, and IMO completely underrated, so I was happy to finally see it. You also brought the rare LO Tangrowth and had an interesting mix of TR and faster mons, like Colbrushie. Definitely one of the more interesting teams.
  • Use of Theme: 2. Regenerator is definitely nice to keep your main TR sweepers alive, but I felt like you really could have done more with it. I know this is entirely subjective, but I probably would have given this a 3 if you had TR on Slowking over Ice Beam or NP, since that justifies Slowking coming in and out more often. While Tangrowth was great here, I felt like in general the healing factor was nice to have but not really an essential part of your team.
  • Effectiveness: 6. On paper I would probably have given this a 5, but seeing it in action made me think about it more favorably. That Tangrowth set in particular is a beast, and Toxic Cress definitely has merit. My big problem with it is that TR teams need to be able to immediately apply pressure to take advantage of the limited TR turns, and this team overall doesn't. It's almost Trick Room balance, which is a neat idea but I worry about its application. Your team has trouble breaking opposing threats such as Slowking and Reuniclus (yeah, you have Tangrowth for Slowking, but it can just switch out), and it looks like it will struggle against Suicune as well. It's an interesting team concept, and I'd like to see it built out more, but I think it needs a little bit more work to really shine.
  • FINAL SCORE: 12.
Serperior for Uber
  • Originality: 2. And now we move back to fairly standard Mega-Pidgeot balance. I like this team, but it doesn't really do anything all that new or exciting.
  • Use of Theme: 2. Again, I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself after 12 of these, but while your team certainly doesn't mind having Regenerator, you don't really seem like you get a ton out of it. Obviously Regen on bulky defensive Tangrowth lets you keep checking threats like Feraligatr, which is great, but I honestly feel like your Scarfshao misses the bonus damage for HJK from Reckless.
  • Effectiveness: 6. I absolutely love the combination of TSpikes and Mega-Pidgeot, since it means things like Florges, Umbreon and Mega-Ampharos can no longer comfortably switch in to take your Hurricanes. You have a solid balance core backing it up, too. But for all that, there are some problems with the team. The biggest issue is that you have no reliable way of breaking bulky setup sweepers, especially CM Reuniclus, CM Cress and CurseLax (which can boost faster than you since you lack Sleep Talk), although even Slowking and Suicune can be problematic if they get a CM or two under their belts. This was pretty apparent in your Iron Chef battle, as you were basically 6-0'd by Iron Chef Hairy Toenail's Reuniclus.
  • FINAL SCORE: 10.
Patrick1088
  • Originality: 3. Mow-Shao VoltTurn teams have been gaining in popularity lately, but using this combo alongside Beedrill is still rare enough that I think you can hang on to a decent score here, especially with the lordly Swords Dance Beedrill.
  • Use of Theme: 4. As I mentioned in Decision Makers' scoring, I really like the combination of bulky VoltTurn with Regenerator. I feel like the two really work well together, allowing you to maintain momentum as you switch between counters.
  • Effectiveness: 8. Even though you lost your Iron Chef battle (which I think might have had as much to do with a couple of early misplays as with the team itself - tricking Specs onto Queen meant you could no longer beat it with Slowking, and then letting Umby get worn down was the nail in the coffin), I think this is one of the better teams this round. The combination of fast offensive threats that can either sweep or grab momentum with bulky mons like Slowking, Umbreon and Forretress seems like it has a lot of potential this meta.
  • FINAL SCORE: 15.
Kreme

• Originality: 5. No question, this is up there with Colbrushie and teal6's teams as one of the most original teams in the competition. Not only do you have some underrated threats, you add on some things I've never seen used in UU at all, like Magic Coat dual screen Audino, Coba Berry SDPass Mienshao and Hypnosis Crobat (OK, I've seen that last one, but not much). Honestly, the whole team structure is unique.
  • Use of Theme: 4. You don't just have Regen mons, you use them to set up screens and SDPass multiple times throughout the match. I think that's worth 4 points here.
  • Effectiveness: 4. I really like this team, but I can't imagine it doing well in this metagame outside of the surprise factor. While the idea of passing a Swords Dance to Tyrantrum and then getting a Rock Polish off is terrifying, a lot of things need to go right for this to work. Beyond that, the lack of hazards to break down opposing threats (you've got Magic Coat, but that's not reliable) and the major vulnerability to things like Taunt and Encore, and the fact that you have no answers to fast threats and scarfers (Scarf Mienshao in particular is problematic)...

Last edited:
Specs + FS does work due to a glitch on the simulator. maybe change the rates on losing the fs specs boost when u switch out?

Dad's Dad
  • Originality: 1. I love this type of semi-stall team, but Florges + M-Aggron core with a Snorlax on the back end for sweeping and handling Nidoqueen is about as standard as it gets. In fact, I can show you replays a couple of teams that use basically this exact same combination of 'mons (Florges/M-Aggron/Snorlax/FatMence + 2 regenerator mons), including one I used to ladder with :P
  • Use of Theme: 4. While it's standard, there's no denying that this type of team makes great use of its regenerator core, and definitely exemplifies Healing Factor.
  • Effectiveness: 6. This team is a standard for a reason - it's a really solid way to build a stall or semi-stall team. That said, there's also a reason this team has been diminishing in popularity as of late, and that reason is Gatr. You can try to play around it with Aggron, Amoongus and Mence, but it will wear the hell out of your team easily (and the SD version can just eat right through you at +2). Also, you have a big weakness to Specs Chandelure, who outspeeds and 2HKOs every member of the team bar Snorlax (who hates being Tricked).
DaSpoofy
  • Originality: 4. While none of the individual sets are completely groundbreaking (although CB Arcanine is neat), this is definitely not your standard team. Your double dog offensive core is a rare one, and as CSB said, that double Fire/triple Water/singular Grass core was definitely unexpected.
  • Use of Theme: 2. You use the regenerator core, but you don't really do anything interesting with it. Defensive Regen Tangrowth is nice to come in time and time again against Gatr, who otherwise threatens to run through your team, but for the most part this use of the theme feels average.
  • Effectiveness: 8. I'll be honest - when I first saw this team, I thought it would be mediocre at best. However, in actual practice, it looks like it plays surprisingly well. Arcanine and Entei form a surprisingly good offensive duo, and Rain Dance MegaPert is a great way of cleaning through weakened teams. However, you don't really have any consistent way of beating stall teams, as your team is highly susceptible to status and your wallbreakers look like they can get broken down. Still, this is a very solid team, and one of the better ones this round.
newfren
  • Originality: 3. This went right down the middle for me - there were some neat choices here, but nothing too crazy. I really liked your Specs Reuni (who made some additional appearances this round), and I liked your take on balanced offense, but there was nothing here that was new enough to make me sit up and go "wow."
  • Use of Theme: 3. Like the above, this was right down the middle for me. Your healing factor was definitely present, but it didn't necessarily define the team. A solid presence, however.
  • Effectiveness: 6. It's a solid enough team, but there are a fair number of threats that seem to more or less stop you cold. Chief among them is Roar Suicune, who Amoongus really can't scratch after a boost - your best bet is to try to Trick Specs onto it, but as we've seen on some Iron Chef replays, giving Specs to a boosting Suicune is terrible idea. As the replay showed you also really struggle at finding anything that can switch into a Nido. So yeah, solid team, but has some flaws that keep it from going beyond average IMO.
Mazz
  • Originality: 4. Several unexpected (though not unheard of) sets such as Specs Hydreigon, Knock Off Gligar, SpDf Forry and double powder Amoongus set this team apart from the rest of the crowd. From looking at your team in Preview someone could wind up being very surprised.
  • Use of Theme: 3. A solid enough Healing Factor, with the fairly common core of Amoongus and Slowking plus some additional walling support from Roost Gligar. You didn't do anything new or exciting with the Secret Ingredient, but you definitely made use of it.
  • Effectiveness: 7. Despite the fact that you lost your first Iron Chef battle (and your claims that the team is bad), this looks like a pretty good team both on paper and in your replays. The fact that you almost brought things back after losing just about half your team in your first battle helps demonstrate this. Your biggest problem is that you just don't really have any switch-ins to Mega-Pidgeot, and only one mon that can outspeed and take it out (and that mon can't switch in). You might be able to play around this by bluffing scarf on Hydreigon or working to get Slowking in safely, but it's a pretty big disadvantage that keeps me from giving you a higher score here.
teal6
  • Originality: 5. No question here - this was one of the most original teams of the bunch. Swords Dance Tangrowth, physical PuP Azelf (with Colbur!) and Regenerator Endure Mienshao meant half your team was made up of entirely unconventional surprise sets.
  • Use of Theme: 4. You were one of the few to use Regenerator in a particularly unique way: in particular, I'm talking about the Regenerator Endure/Reversal Mienshao. While I have some qualms with its effectiveness (which I'll get to in the next section), it is a wholly unique idea, using Regenerator to allow you to use Endure/Reversal multiple times (which common entry hazards usually prevent). This plus your triple-Regen core put you a cut above the rest.
  • Effectiveness: 5. This may seem a bit off, since you beat Iron Chef YABO with this team, but I do have some concerns with your team's effectiveness. While you showed a lot of innovation when building, some of that innovation seems to come at the price of consistency. Endure Mienshao, for instance, is a really cool idea - but with Salac only activating once, and the fact that you sacrifice coverage for Fake Out and Endure, it can't really do much beyond the first time it comes in. Swords Dance Tangrowth is another cool idea, with Regen giving it a nice niche over Abomasnow, but Grass + Rock is fairly mediocre coverage-wise, and you're entirely reliant on catching your counters on the switch. You might have gotten more mileage out of Sleep Powder over Leech Seed to at least give you more setup opportunities. All in all this is a cool team, and can win based on surprise factor, but I worry that it will not stand the test of time.
Colbrushie
  • Originality: 4. You definitely get some good points in originality for using rarely seen sets, such as LO TR Slowking and TR Chandelure (who I really haven't seen used at all this gen). While it's not the pinnacle of innovation, it's definitely one of the more unique teams we've seen this round.
  • Use of Theme: 3. This is obviously a very offensive team, so your Healing Factor is limited, but you make good use of Regenerator despite that, with it adding a defensive backbone to your otherwise HO team. I waffled a lot between 2 and 3 for this one, but in the end I'm going with my gut and giving you a 3.
  • Effectiveness: 6. I love Trick Room teams, and this is a pretty solid one, but it seems like your team will struggle mightily with balance and bulkier teams in general. The only thing you have that can reliably break Suicune is SD Mega-Snow, who hates burns, and DD Gatr looks like it'll just eat through your team with a boost. That last could be a little less of an issue if you move 4 extra EVs into Crobat's Speed, so that you can outspeed +1 Adamant Gatr, but it's still a problem. As you mentioned, Krook also wreaks havoc with your team, easily KOing both of your TR setters and threatening everything but Abomasnow with its STABs.
Euphonos
  • Originality: 4. Another sighting of Specs Reuni and SpDf Forry - and Overcoat to boot! Qwilfish is also an underrated but scary defensive threat that should almost certainly see more use in UU. And while it's becoming more common, Taunt LO Hydreigon is a fun threat that deserves to be seen more. So while nothing here is ground breaking, it's definitely not a standard team.
  • Use of Theme: 3. I like your choice of Specs Future Sight Reuni, and it sits right at home alongside LO Regen Mienshao as underrated wallbreakers. You don't really do anything new or interesting with Regenerator, and I wouldn't specifically call your team a Healing Factor team, but you use it well enough.
  • Effectiveness: 7. This is a really solid team, despite some minor errors (Specs Future Sight doesn't really work, since you lose the Specs boost on Future Sight if you switch, and you're missing EVs on Forry). You've got a decent hazard/defensive core, some excellent wallbreakers and an awesome win condition in SD Mega-Snow. That said - good lord, what the heck do you do against a Mega-Pidgeot? Nothing on your team can switch into a Hurricane, and the only things that can potentially scare it are a fully healthy Hydreigon (which it will probably just U-turn or hard switch out of) or a +2 Mega-Snow. If it weren't for the fact that Bird Jesus is everywhere I'd give this team an 8, but as it is I think a 7 is fair.
  • FINAL SCORE: 14 (does not include bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
Sacri'
  • Originality: 3. This looks like a fairly standard team on the surface, although Specs Slowking and LO Healing Wish Shaymin (the latter of which isn't exactly a rarity, but not the most common set) keep you from getting a 2 here.
  • Use of Theme: 3. Sorry if these comments feel like they're getting shorter. You definitely take advantage of Regenerator, and expand on the theme a bit with your other mons, but the team doesn't necessarily exemplify "Healing Factor" to me.
  • Effectiveness: 5. Let's get the Specs FS issue out of the way now - Specs Future Sight doesn't really work, since you lose the Specs boost on Future Sight if you switch. Now, onto the team itself, you've got a pretty good defensive core of Florges/P2, but the fact that you went physically defensive on both means you'll pretty easily get worn down by fast special wallbreakers. Pidgeot and Alakazam in particular just look like they will wreak havoc with this team, and once it gets a boost CM Reuni becomes pretty much unstoppable. You also don't really have a solid win condition against bulkier teams, with your hardest hitters being Mienshao and Slowking, the former of whom is still pretty easy to wear down, and the latter of whom lacks the coverage to sweep.
LilOuOn
  • Originality: 4. PDef Bronzong, Taunt Hydreigon (as I mentioned before it's getting popular, but it's still nice to see), Mirrormola and AV Reuni all set you above the average team as far as originality goes.
  • Use of Theme: 4. Assault Vest and Regenerator just go hand in hand. For that matter, Wish and Regenerator do, too. You don't just benefit from Regenerator - you make it a key part of your strategy.
  • Effectiveness: 6. You mentioned your issues right off the bat: powerful wallbreakers such as Guts Hera and SD Gatr tend to bust through your defensive core, and there's not much you can do about it. While you talk about making aggressive plays to get around them, there's nothing stopping your opponent from making aggressive plays too. Despite that, though, this is a pretty solid team, and with a few tweaks this could be one of my favorites from the competition.
Decision Makers
  • Originality: 2. This team doesn't really do anything new or exciting. I like bulky VoltTurn a lot, but this is pretty standard as far as bulky VoltTurn teams go.
  • Use of Theme: 4. On the other hand, I think bulky VoltTurn works friggin' beautifully alongside Regenerator mons in general and the healing factor theme. Your whole point is about gaining momentum and preventing the opposing team from wearing you down - sounds very much like Healing Factor to me.
  • Effectiveness: 9. I'll go ahead and say it now - I think this was overall the best team in the competition. It's really solid against a wide variety of threats and playstyles, and you demonstrated that by beating not one but two Iron Chefs (including one against Iron Chef xMarth, who was otherwise undefeated). You miss out on a 10 because it's not perfect - Slurpuff just eats through your team if it gets a turn to set up, and it can get that turn against fully half of your team. Also, Gatr can potentially break through your team - without a Reckless boost Scarfshao can't OHKO it. The latter is a concern but able to be played around without making changes (rocks plus anyone's U-turn will put it into HJK range), but the former is pretty deadly to your team. All in all, it's enough to prevent you from getting a 10.
  • FINAL SCORE: 15 (does not include the bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
OG_Wanka
  • Originality: 3. LO Tangrowth and AV Slowking (which used to be a lot more popular, but mostly is dropped in favor of CM or T-Wave sets these days) are the standouts here. Beyond that, nothing too exciting.
  • Use of Theme: 3. I do like offensive uses of Regenerator as seen with Tangrowth, and as I mentioned earlier AV and Regen pair up fairly well. I'm not sure this team exemplifies Healing Factor, but you get good use out of the theme.
  • Effectiveness: 7. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for no-fucks-given offense. This dish looks like it does a good job at keeping up offensive pressure against most teams. That said, I do worry about how wise it is to run a team built around switching and maintaining momentum without hazard support. Considering that your strongest wallbreaker is Infernape, I think this is definitely a concern. I also worry that you'll struggle against things like Scarf Hydreigon that can effectively gain momentum or put a major hurt on every member of your team (at least until Mega-Snow is at +2). So, solid and above average team, but it has some flaws that prevent me from giving it a higher score.
vexyyyy
  • Originality: 3. Double powder Amoongus and Sub/Protect MPidge stand out, although the rest of your team is fairly standard. I do like seeing CB Krook more often, though, I've got to say.
  • Use of Theme: 3. You've got your healing factor as an important if not essential part of the team. (Sorry, I'm really running out of unique ways to describe a 3 here :P)
  • Effectiveness: 7. You have some cool offensive threats like CB Krook to help break teams down for a Pidgeot sweep, but I must confess, I'm really skeptical about the Pidgeot set. Hurricane's not the worst attack for a mono-attacking set, not by a long shot, but Substitute/Protect seems like overkill, and Defog on a rocks-weak mon without recovery (even Lefties) seems like a risk. Also, I've mentioned this a couple of times, but Specs + Future Sight doesn't actually work, because Future Sight loses the Specs boost if the user switches out. It's obviously a good team, as demonstrated by your victory against Iron Chef Hairy Toenail (his sole loss!), but I think it could be better.
  • FINAL SCORE: 13 (does not include the bonus points for beating an Iron Chef).
daedalus1103
  • Originality: 4. Finally, NP Slowking! It's probably my favorite Slowking set, and IMO completely underrated, so I was happy to finally see it. You also brought the rare LO Tangrowth and had an interesting mix of TR and faster mons, like Colbrushie. Definitely one of the more interesting teams.
  • Use of Theme: 2. Regenerator is definitely nice to keep your main TR sweepers alive, but I felt like you really could have done more with it. I know this is entirely subjective, but I probably would have given this a 3 if you had TR on Slowking over Ice Beam or NP, since that justifies Slowking coming in and out more often. While Tangrowth was great here, I felt like in general the healing factor was nice to have but not really an essential part of your team.
  • Effectiveness: 6. On paper I would probably have given this a 5, but seeing it in action made me think about it more favorably. That Tangrowth set in particular is a beast, and Toxic Cress definitely has merit. My big problem with it is that TR teams need to be able to immediately apply pressure to take advantage of the limited TR turns, and this team overall doesn't. It's almost Trick Room balance, which is a neat idea but I worry about its application. Your team has trouble breaking opposing threats such as Slowking and Reuniclus (yeah, you have Tangrowth for Slowking, but it can just switch out), and it looks like it will struggle against Suicune as well. It's an interesting team concept, and I'd like to see it built out more, but I think it needs a little bit more work to really shine.
Serperior for Uber
  • Originality: 2. And now we move back to fairly standard Mega-Pidgeot balance. I like this team, but it doesn't really do anything all that new or exciting.
  • Use of Theme: 2. Again, I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself after 12 of these, but while your team certainly doesn't mind having Regenerator, you don't really seem like you get a ton out of it. Obviously Regen on bulky defensive Tangrowth lets you keep checking threats like Feraligatr, which is great, but I honestly feel like your Scarfshao misses the bonus damage for HJK from Reckless.
  • Effectiveness: 6. I absolutely love the combination of TSpikes and Mega-Pidgeot, since it means things like Florges, Umbreon and Mega-Ampharos can no longer comfortably switch in to take your Hurricanes. You have a solid balance core backing it up, too. But for all that, there are some problems with the team. The biggest issue is that you have no reliable way of breaking bulky setup sweepers, especially CM Reuniclus, CM Cress and CurseLax (which can boost faster than you since you lack Sleep Talk), although even Slowking and Suicune can be problematic if they get a CM or two under their belts. This was pretty apparent in your Iron Chef battle, as you were basically 6-0'd by Iron Chef Hairy Toenail's Reuniclus.
  • FINAL SCORE: 10.
Patrick1088
  • Originality: 3. Mow-Shao VoltTurn teams have been gaining in popularity lately, but using this combo alongside Beedrill is still rare enough that I think you can hang on to a decent score here, especially with the lordly Swords Dance Beedrill.
  • Use of Theme: 4. As I mentioned in Decision Makers' scoring, I really like the combination of bulky VoltTurn with Regenerator. I feel like the two really work well together, allowing you to maintain momentum as you switch between counters.
  • Effectiveness: 8. Even though you lost your Iron Chef battle (which I think might have had as much to do with a couple of early misplays as with the team itself - tricking Specs onto Queen meant you could no longer beat it with Slowking, and then letting Umby get worn down was the nail in the coffin), I think this is one of the better teams this round. The combination of fast offensive threats that can either sweep or grab momentum with bulky mons like Slowking, Umbreon and Forretress seems like it has a lot of potential this meta.
  • FINAL SCORE: 15.
Kreme

• Originality: 5. No question, this is up there with Colbrushie and teal6's teams as one of the most original teams in the competition. Not only do you have some underrated threats, you add on some things I've never seen used in UU at all, like Magic Coat dual screen Audino, Coba Berry SDPass Mienshao and Hypnosis Crobat (OK, I've seen that last one, but not much). Honestly, the whole team structure is unique.
  • Use of Theme: 4. You don't just have Regen mons, you use them to set up screens and SDPass multiple times throughout the match. I think that's worth 4 points here.
  • Effectiveness: 4. I really like this team, but I can't imagine it doing well in this metagame outside of the surprise factor. While the idea of passing a Swords Dance to Tyrantrum and then getting a Rock Polish off is terrifying, a lot of things need to go right for this to work. Beyond that, the lack of hazards to break down opposing threats (you've got Magic Coat, but that's not reliable) and the major vulnerability to things like Taunt and Encore, and the fact that you have no answers to fast threats and scarfers (Scarf Mienshao in particular is problematic)...
Daedalus score add up is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)