Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Geez, I liked the post and everything. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, I've updated the replays post, and I believe it's accurate, but if it looks like yours is missing, please let me know. I've also updated the overall standing of each Iron Chef at the top of the OP. Iron Chef Hairy Toenail has the closest thing to an undefeated record, with his only loss being to vexyyyy last round, but Iron Chef xMarth has the most overall wins against all challengers with a very impressive 8-3 record.

Last edited:
yo so I cant play this round (AP week is this week, dont really have any time this week to do mons) so i'm dropping out. i'll play next week though :)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Glad to see us potentially get more judges!

For anyone who is planning on competing this round, or who has already competed but wishes to challenge additional Iron Chefs, remember that the deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 PM GMT.

Im dropping out as I couldnt fine a viable team with explosion. Looking forward to next competition though.

Edit: wow im not the only one doing this. I did just plan on judging

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Sorry for the delay, all. Without further ado... the reveal!

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Explosion

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Hypnosis

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Memento

Linoone @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Although I can't go on full kamikaze, this team brings overwhelming force in the beginning through the help of leading Cloyster early in the game (most of the time; some Steel-types are such a big bitch to handle with; might as well use Hydro Pump over Rock Blast on Cloyster). There are two Pokemon that will serve as momentum grabbers in the form of Mega Ampharos (with Volt Switch) and Whimsicott (with U-turn), and they coincidentally serve as the paralyzers of the team given Discharge and Stun Spore, respectively. Bronzong serves as the sole Hazard setter of the team, as Stealth Rock is more than enough to get damage upon entry (and Hypnosis is confirmed good). Chandelure is the greatest Special Attacker in the team; equipping it with Choice Specs makes it all the more deadly. To put it into perspective, Chandelure's Choice Specs-boosted Overheat overwhelms those even who resist it. It is also one of my reasons for building a team with because of Memento, granting a set-up sweeper a golden opportunity to set up, and that set-up sweeper I choose is no other than Linoone. Linoone is the only non-Uber Pokemon that has STAB on Extreme Speed, and Belly Drum is the only move to boost its not-so-impressive Attack to stellar levels. When Steel-types are eliminated through Chandelure's massive attacks, Linoone is ready to sweep with it.

There are some issues with this team, especially the lack of a Spinner. Of course, it is a "bulky" offense team of sorts, but it has issues with Entry Hazards alone, most especially Toxic Spikes, and that alone would shorten Linoone's glorious sweep.

Iron Chef Replays:

FCKN CUNE (Cloyster) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Surf
- Explosion

NASCAR EYEBROWS (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

PHYS DEF (Forretress) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

NOT DARM :[ (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge

GECKO JESUS (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

RIP (Kingdra) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

i had an idea a couple weeks ago about boom cloy with fire spam so naturally i built this team. it started with boom lo cloyster as the lo ensures the ko on crocune, then the spammers were added. banded entei specs chandy, and scarf darm to clean. next i added a sceptile as a back up check to waters and a forretress for spin and hazards. obviously i went undr some changes as i changed chandy, who didnt really care about bulky waters since it blew past them anyway with specs shadow ball, with a very bulky kingdra set givin to me by resident chef christo, to check fire spam, which ironically gave this team alot of problems. finally the forrey was changed to custap because i was pretty much balls out HO and a suicide lead seemed to fit. im very hazard weak but thats life yo.

Iron Chef replays:

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen

I wanted a lead, and i needed to fit the requirement, so i chose azelf. i'm not quite sure why i went for dual screens, maybe to help some of my other mons? SR is pretty much necessary. light clay so screens last longer.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Still needed to fill the requirement, and i saw a post with glalie, so why not use it? kinda basic set (not sure why i'm using ice body)

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

I needed a special attacker, chose chandy because it was on the teambuilder and i saw it quickly. put scarf, because i feel like i need more speed.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Needed another phys attacker, chose mienshao. put scarf, because probs best item. moves are explainable

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Needed a spinner, chose tenta. it's a nice bulky water, and has access to tspikes.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack

I wanted a set-up pokemon to use the screens. and i needed another special attacker. went with doubledance PZ.

also a note to add: i made that team at after 11:00 pm.

Iron Chef replays:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Diglett @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Cloyster @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Explosion
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Darmanitan @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

MY Iron Chef team :]

Iron Chef replays:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Well, this is straight up Hyper Offense, what else can you do with a Self-KO theme anyway? (that actually works)

This started as a desire to try Shaymin to destroy bulky water types so that SD Feraligatr can sweep later on while still allowing me to play risky with it early game without much worry because of Healing Wish. The next mons I added were just to round up the offensive spectrum while still maintaining some sort of defensive backbone in the form of checks that keep pressure vs. common threats and take advantage of the hard hitters all around the team, ultimately overwhelming my opponent. Pretty simple.

Iron Chef replays:

So. I'm participating in the Iron Chef thing and probably failing miserably! But, you gotta do what you gotta do, and I gotta send this to you.

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Serious Nature
- Sunny Day
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Encore

So this is my little setup monster. It's usually going for Sunny Day, though Taunt + Tailwind helps. Sun and Wind particularly help in an explosive finish, and Encore to trap things. Fairly simple, and since it's got Prankster if it smells Taunt it's no longer taunt bait.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

The first bit of spice I like to add, if it's not pure wallbreaking it's spreading status for later on. I really like the Sun + SF combo, since it just makes it that much hotter, but Flare Blitz is a good substitute when options are low. ESpeed for Priority, of course, and Stone Edge for things that might resist fire but not Rock.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Seed Flare
- Toxic
- Healing Wish

I like to think of Shaymin as Cabbage. But it's good for you, and it carries Synthesis for self-recovery in the case it's left alone, Seed Flare for not being pure taunt bait, of course. Dropping the SpD helps, too. Toxic is another status spreader to raise hell later with Chandy, and Healing Wish lets me bring back anything that might've fallen before.

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Roar

Hazards. Oh, the Hazards. I don't have any problem setting rocks up, and Swampert being bulky enough to swallow a hit helps. Now, it's an interesting set, because I'm going for pure power after rocks, so PUP for boosting attack and EQ for a good STAB.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Hex
- Memento

A custom little set that nonetheless gives people issues. It doesn't set up, it just gets behind a sub on a free turn and will either go for a spicy kick of Flamethrower or the secret mystery flavor, Hex. Memento helps for particularly dangerous mons that are poised to sweep.

Shiftry @ Normal Gem
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Explosion

Ah, my finale. SD Explosion is insanity, and it's just so random nobody sees it coming. I'll set up, maybe hit a few people with Knock Off and Leaf Blade, decent dual stabs. Then when time is up on sun, or hp is low, if I'm lucky I'll get a +2 explosion off with the 1.3x power boost of the gem.

There you have it. My insane team.

Iron Chef replays:

Azelf @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Lickilicky @ Custap Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Knock Off
- Explosion

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Memento
- Trick

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Frustration
- Drain Punch

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Lunar Dance
- Magic Coat

aight so for a short description, this is a pretty get up n go team featuring two screeners, three setup sweepers, and scarf chandy to revenge faster shit + memento to provide sweepers with free setup opportunities. licky can break down walls then theoretically take something with it with +2 custap kaboom, meaning that shit like gatr and puff have an easier time.

Iron Chef replays:

it's random

Yoshimitsux (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adversary (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Pain Split

HellPowna (Krookodile) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Asuya (Bronzong) @ Colbur Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Enki (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt

DARKDEVIL (Regirock) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Fire Punch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Iron Chef replays:

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough
- Return

Blastoise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Chandelure @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower

Mega glalie is the first part of my explosion core. Standard three attacks and spikes, with double edge for more kamikaze flavor. Spikes and explosion are pretty crucial to how this team works, as glalie can get free layers of spikes on explosion switchins, and explosion creates a lot of switch ins which I will talk about later. Magneton is the second beautiful part about the team. The steels that glalie forces in? Magneton traps them and eats them for breakfast. I chose scarf over specs for some extra speed and so it's useful outside of trapping. Slurpuff is the third member of this team, and hugely benefits from steels gone. While drain punch is helpful, magneton and glalie make it really effective at its job. Nothing special, just a normal set. Shaymin is the second part of my core. LO allows it to smash walls that other members of the team would struggle with. Shaymin is excellent utility for the rest of the team; a healing wished slurpuff or even glalie can make the difference between a win and a loss. At this point, I was really weak to mamo, entei, and hazards, so Blastiose regular was a perfect choice. (Shout out to the viability rankings for showing this!) With its coverage, it handily deals with other hazard removers that may try to remove spikes. After this, entei was a good choice for my last Mon. It gives this team priority and a fire typing to complete the FWG core.

Sorry it was a bit long, I just really like this team and how it works effectively around the kamikaze theme imo :P. Lets see what the judges think though.

Iron Chef replays:

So that is nine fiery dishes to try our judges' palates. There were a lot of fun dishes this round - the judges have no easy task! Remember, anyone other than the nine contestants who have submitted dishes this round may judge. As with last round, in order to incentivize judging, I will let everyone who judges choose next round's ingredient.

(As usual, contestants, if I've missed anything or messed up your entry when copying it over, please let me know!)

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay, all. Without further ado... the reveal!

Iron Chef Replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

Iron Chef replays:

So that is nine fiery dishes to try our judges' palates. There were a lot of fun dishes this round - the judges have no easy task! Remember, anyone other than the nine contestants who have submitted dishes this round may judge. As with last round, in order to incentivize judging, I will let everyone who judges choose next round's ingredient.

(As usual, contestants, if I've missed anything or messed up your entry when copying it over, please let me know!)
I can't see the descriptions for anybody except Euphonos, maybe it's just me though.

Edit: Nevermind, I refreshed the page and it fixed lol

2nd edit: I can only expand one of them at a time, pretty annoying tbh

Edit 3 lol: Yeah that fixed it, thanks Hogg

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
2nd edit: I can only expand one of them at a time, pretty annoying tbh
I'll try replacing the quote tags with hide tags. That seemed to work fine last round.

EDIT: OK, try refreshing. Did that fix the problem?

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
BTW, i made that team at around 11:30. and posted the descriptions around midnight.
Oh, you put that at the end of your description but I didn't realize it was actually intended to be part of the description - I thought you were just letting me know. My bad; editing it in.

Euphonos

Originality: 3/5
Team looks pretty decent, but nothing really too original outside of Bronzong and the efficient use of Hypnosis.

Use of the Theme: 3/5
Explosion and Memento are the only real Self KO moves that were used tbh. It honestly feels more slapped on than a main ingredient.

Effectiveness of team: 6/10
While you did win thanks to Linoone, your team is extremely weak to hazards and your team got walled by RestTalk Snorlax in that second match coupled with a few hazards.

Total: 12/20

Scarf Darm and Custap Forry are pretty standard along with Entei. I would've given you a 2/5 if it weren't for ChestoRest Kingdra and Adamant on Forry. That takes cujones lol

Use of Theme: 4/5
2 Flare Blitz users, 2 Explosion users definitely has the Self-KO theme going on.

Effectiveness of team: 7/10
The fast and hard hitting power of Darm and Entei coupled with support from Mega Scept actually paves the way for a very useful team. No hazard removal support, but this team is HO from the turn 1.

Total: 14/10

Mixed M-Glalie is pretty cool along with Acid Spray Tenta. Everything else is pretty standard though.

Explosion Azelf, DE and Explosion M-Glalie (main reason for scoring high IMO), Reckless Shao (throwing caution into the wind to get that reckless boost on HJK).

You did lose the battle, but it was pretty close. Dual Screens greatly helped M-Glalie (until Cobalion reared its ugly head at you). Dual Screens does help Double Dance PZ, as well.

Total: 14/10

Originality: 5/5
The cujones on this team is astounding. 1 move Diglett, BD Darm, Adamant Cloyster. Delicous.

Use of Theme: 4.5/5
Diglett and Adamant Cloyster w/ Explosion are the main reasons I'm scoring so high. Everybody else uses Jolly/Naive, but you had the guts to inflict as much damage as possible while KOing yourself. If that isn't THE definition of kamikaze, then IDK.

Edit: I dropped this down from a 5 to a 4.5. Diglett's description had only Memento, but replay clearly shows you have SR (Turn 3). I was so excited for 1 move Diglett, too :-( That would've been a pure kick of the secret ingredient.

Effectiveness of team: 8/10
Roar on Suicune finished most of your team. Luckily, King's rock (also not listed correctly on description) saved you. But, if he didn't have Roar, it would've been an easy sweep with Darm. Very effective team overall!

Total: 17.5/20

Originality: 4/5
LO HW Shaymin and SubPetaya Empoleon are my favorites on this team. These two actually compliment each other so much that it's hard NOT to score high. Empleon has trouble with Suicune, which LO Shaymin can destroy. If Empoleon tried setting up, but failed (not activated berry), then HW can actually give it a second chance, which you don't see for other berry users currently in UU (looking at your Slurpuff).

The only mon on your team that doesn't fit the theme is Hydreigon, which is scarfed. But, you choose to go LO SD Gatr w/ AJ (as opposed to DD with WF/Crunch/IP where you don't lose HP) which in fact causes recoil. LO Lucario and exploding lead Azelf compliment the rest of the team very well.

Effectiveness of team: 9/10
I found myself trying to find ways around your team while viewing the battle. Chef had a great team, but your team is so fast paced and there's just threat after threat and the momentum and predicts were spot on (i.e. predicting the Slowking switch in for Luc and double switching to LO Shaymin). Hydro Miss stinks, but team is very effective overall.

Total: 17/20

If I could score this a 6, I would lol Holy Cow! PuP Swampert, Synthesis HW Shaymin, Hex/Memento Chandy, Normal Gem Shiftry? What the heck lol I love it!!

I like the use of LO Sub Chandy. You don't even have Pain Split on Chandy for recovery lol It's like Chandy's sole job is to KO itself while demolishing everything else. Explosion/Flare Blitz/ HW do use of the theme very well.

Effectiveness of team: 5/10
I think there were a few more things that you could have done to bring this up a bit. 1 Sunny Day user, 1 HW user, no hazard support (especially on a team like yours). I think that the shock value will catch users off guard, but they would generally be able to check/counter this team without too much difficulty since it is so reliant on Sun. I think that if you had LO Entei with Flame Charge, Toxic Spikes absorber (LO Growth Victreebel) and 1 more Sunny Day/Lunar Dance user like Cress, your team would've been a lot more efficient. I've been playing with Sun over the past few weeks and it's not an easy playstyle. But, as you said in your first match;

★Nightingales:if now's not the time never is

Total: 14/20

SD Lickilicky + Custap Berry looks very interesting. Rest of team is kind of been there/done that, but it looks viable (especially Memento Chandy). Bulky Dual Screens Cress is different, too. It's a great option, but usually see Timid, etc...

Use of theme is very prevalent. I would've scored a little higher, but DD Gatr doesn't really lose any health thanks to Sheer Force. But, overall, theme is very well presented throughout.

Your team is actually pretty effective. I think the key component in your matches was Screens, Lunar Dance and Magic Coat. I honestly think that misplays like boosting on the semi obvious Scarf Hydre was more of your downfall, more so than the actual team itself. I would've suggested possibly a different Dual Screens mon that didn't share the ghost/dark weakness (not too many options, but eh)

Originality: 4.5/5

AV Regirock, Colbur Berry Bronzong, and Liligant are all unique up to this point. The team is kind of all over the place, but definitely sets I have not seen before. But, kudos on using Qwilfish!

Use of theme: 3.5/5

I wanted to give this higher, but the theme is sort of present there but not utilized to the fullest. I think that you had greater opportunity to really express it. LO Liligant is cool, I like the Colbur Berry TR Zong and AV Regirock. I think LO on Virizion would've bumped this up to at least a solid 4 IMO.

Effectiveness of team: 5/10

Double Intimidate was probably the coolest thing you had going on in the battle. It actually weakened your opponent so much that they were forced to switch out. Colbur Berry on Zong made it very interesting to do a nice chunk off of Krook even after the attack drop! But, sadly, Liligant and Regirock couldn't hold their own against Whimsicott and M-Aggron, which are pretty common. I think that you a Lunar Dance/HW user would've been FANTASTIC for this team. Liligant was in such a prime position for that, too. Base 90 speed, Giga Drain, Sleep Powder, Healing Wish and a filler move would've definitely brought the team's viability up.

I like the Spikes, DE and Explosion on M-Glalie. It just screams balls to the wall and kamikaze. BD Slurpuff and HW LO Shaymin were pretty cool, as well.

Use of Theme: 3.5/5

While Glalie was great, the rest of the team is kind of meh as far as ingredient goes. HW Shaymin and BD are cool, but you could've added a little more IMO. I would've bumped this up to a solid 4 if I had seen LO SubSplit Chandy instead, or something similar for Blastoise or Magneton or a similar mon in their place.

Effectiveness of team: 6/10

2 questions before I go into this; what happened to Chandy in the replay vs. team description? and why didn't you BD on Turn 9 when Mence was locked into Outrage? You had 2 layers of spikes up, which would've been a guaranteed 2HKO on most M-Aggron sets.

Anyway, this team did okay. I think the main issue was lack of immediate offensive pressure. Glalie and Slurpuff can't do much when you have a healthy steel tank. So, while it was cool that you led off with Glalie, I think Magneton would've been the superior lead in almost every sense. Volt Switch and scarf lets it scout. The only thing you would've had to watch out for is lead fighting types or Krookodile tbh. So, I think the lead kind of put you at a disadvantage from Turn 1. I think that the team definitely has potential, but I think the bad lead match up coupled with the passiveness of non-mega blastoise kind of tripped you up.

Total: 13.5/20

Hogg all done now!
[/hide]

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Discharge Mega Ampharos, Hypnosis Bronzong (which is also Specially Defensive), and especially Linoone, honestly the only thing stopping this from getting 5/5 is that it isn't necessarily earth shattering for me, as Linoone needs quite a lot of support to be utilized from the looks of things, setup opportunities do not come easily for this thing.

Use Of Theme: 3/5

Tbh Explosion doesn't seem all too useful on Cloyster, it just seems slapped on there for the sake of the theme. On the other hand, Memento's use on Chandelure is exploited very well with Linoone and is, in my opinion, a fundamental part of the team which is essentially just setting up a Linoone sweep so you get the points here.

Effectiveness: 6/10

I love the concept of paralyzing the opposition, allowing Chandelure to break then letting Linoone sweep. The team also showed that Linoone can be a threat as shown in the Iron Chef battle against xMarth where Linoone swept. Despite that, I felt the team was, as said in your team description, prone to entry hazards. It's also a team that's for the most part torn apart by a lot of dangerous wallbreakers that do take advantage of the team members, for example Specs Hydreigon can OHKO about everything on the team with the appropriate move and outspeeds Whimsicott, it comes in for free against Ampharos's Volt Switch and Chandelure's Shadow Ball. These things can be played around, but the same can be said about the countermeasures to them. I also don't like how the team is swept by Crunch / EQ Lucario since it can setup against the likes of unboosted Linoone and choice-locked Energy Ball Chandelure, very specific situation I know, so that's not a main factor.

Overall: 13/20

RestoChesto bulky Kingdra, Surf on Cloyster, Adamant Custap Forretress, nothing really mind boggling here, as the rest is extremely standard and even then Surf on Cloyster is most likely used because Hydro can miss and Adamant Custap isn't even too original. The Kingdra set is what gives you the points here.

Use Of The Theme: 4/5

Cloyster's Explosion is a vital part of the team, effectively breaking down bulky Water-types Cloyster tends to lure in, although I don't expect it to lure any in this competition considering the Iron Chefs will be expecting it. Forretress's Explosion allows something to come in for free after it's done its job as a suicide lead.

Effectiveness: 5/10

I'm giving this a mediocre score because I felt that Christo's team had quite bad matchup against yours giving you that win, just my opinion though. Anyways the team looks to have issues against Mega Aerodactyl, huge issues lol. The only way you have of checking it is to get in a healthy Kingdra, which can be 2HKOed by Stone Edge after Rocks so it isn't a switch-in, and Scarf Darmanitan's Rock Slide which is easily exploitable, letting shit like Lucario setup and sweep. Scarfers in general that outspeed Darmanitan seem to do a number to your team, as you have no real good switch-in and your best method of checking them is Entei's Extreme Speed, of which Entei has only 8 and is quite easily exploited considering it can be easily predicted as it's your best chance of revenge killing, and yes I do know this argument works both ways so I'm not using this as a main point, although it should be noted.

Overall: 12/20

Originality: 1/5

This looks very standard, nothing really catching me off guard or looking original at all, the most original thing probably being Life Orb Double Dance Porygon-Z lol.

Use Of The Theme: 1/5

Based on your description, Glalie is only there because "Why not?" and filling the quota. Explosion doesn't do much for the team on it. I'm awarding you a point because of Explosion being utilized effectively on Azelf as a suicide lead.

Effectiveness: 3/10

Screens Suicide Lead Azelf with only one Pokemon to abuse it? Idk that seems really weird and wouldn't work well. No surprise when it doesn't. Tentacruel just seems to lose momentum and waste Screens turns, as does the rest of the team. The team itself looks to have issues with opposing leads that have a fast Taunt. Azelf can also be setup bait for Pokemon that resist or are immune to Explosion, such as Cobalion, Hone Claws Aerodactyl, SubCM Chandelure etc, which I'm not a fan of. Life Orb lessens Porygon-Z's longetivity, not a good thing that pretty much needs two turns to setup. The team also doesn't seem to have anything for Rain teams so that's nice. I gave you a 3 since it seemed to do well against xMarth for some of the match, although that was mostly due to a few crits on your behalf.

Overall: 5/20

First and foremost, "Teams should be submitted in a standardized format, including a brief description of how the team works and an importable." even if it is obvious how the team works, please have an actual description next time, it helps ease judging. Anyways, onto the judging itself.

Scarf single move Diglett (this is shady as fuck, it had Stealth Rock and Focus Sash against xMarth), and BD SubSalac Darmanitan giving you the majority of the points here. While the team structure which is Memento + a fuck ton of setup sweepers isn't used much.

Use Of Theme: 5/5

Memento on both Dugtrio and Diglett is essentially what the team is revolved around, giving you good points in this category. You already filled the criteria beforehand, making Explosion being on Cloyster for, imo, no reason just slip by me.

Effectiveness: 6/10

I don't like how, as shown in the Iron Chef battle against xMarth, phazers royally fuck the whole team up, fast Taunt does as well (depends if we're going off of the Scarf or Sash Diglett lol, which is it ~_~) Also hey! That Cloyster had a Kings Rock earlier, wtf is up with that ._. This is kinda hard to rate now lmao. Anyways, the team shows how dangerous it is when you have a way to let strong setup sweepers to their job. It is also fucked royally by Taunt Mega Aero so there's that.

Overall: 14/20

Originality: 2/5

SubPetaya Agility Empoleon giving some Gen 5 throwback to the team. Not much else that's original though so I can't give more points for this.

Use Of The Theme: 4/5

Explosion on Azelf as a suicide lead is good. Main points come from Healing Wish Shaymin which allows every sweeper to be played recklessly and lets them have another shot at sweeping.

Effectiveness: 7/10

This team, in my opinion, is the most effective this round. This team doesn't have many issues. No Fighting resist means the team faces problems against Scarf Mienshao and Nasty Plot Lucario (sets up on choice-locked Hydreigon) among others though. I can see this team having issues with DD Feraligatr once Lucario is out of the picture though (Gatr isn't setting up without taking a hit or two).

Overall: 13/20

Part of me wanted to just scream out unviable and let this hit low, but honestly speaking the entire team structure is original in on itself. Explosion Normal Gem Shiftry, Infiltrator Hex Chandelure, Power-Up Punch Swampert, mixed defenses Shaymin and full Support Whimsicott are all original. Only unoriginal Pokemon here was Entei.

Use Of The Theme: 2/5

Despite having 3 Pokemon who use the theme's ingredient of Kamikaze, Memento and Healing Wish didn't see any use in both Iron Chef matches, and for good reason. They aren't very useful to the team itself. Explosion saw use but didn't seem to do much for Shiftry tbh, even in conjunction with Normal Gem, what does it hit that Shiftry's STAB attacks don't hit harder / hard enough?

Effectiveness: 2/10

When I saw the team, I was really hoping it would do well, which it didn't unfortunately. The team struggles with common builds, as shown in both Iron Chef battles. A Sun team with only one Chlorophyll Pokemon that sacrifices itself doesn't seem like a good idea. Furthermore, most of the team seems like it doesn't benefit from sun.

Overall: 9/20

Two dual screeners on one team is pretty unique. SD Lickilicky with Custap Explosion is very unique. Full Support Cresselia rounds it off.

Use Of Theme: 5/5

The team relies on self sacrifice to bring in everything after setting screens. It also helps that the theme is being used on 4/6 Pokemon.

The team is quite prediction reliant imo, as most of the Pokemon can't do their jobs if they're Taunted. The team also looks to have trouble with Hydreigon at times, as seen from the Iron Chef match against hairy toenail. No hazard removal means the team has some trouble with entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes as that puts a timer on all three setup sweepers.

Overall: 14/20

Assault Vest Explosion Regirock, Colbur Berry Bronzong, Lilligant, all cool unseen Pokemon in UU giving this a good originality ranking.

Use Of The Theme: 1/5

I'm going to assume what you said in the "description" is true and everything is random, as such, the theme looks to just be slapped on.

Effectiveness: 3/10

The team is all over the place. Trick Room Bronzong without anything to abuse it, if anything it makes the team worse once it is set. No hazard removal meaning the team is easily worn down. Honestly since it's just 6 random Pokemon it doesn't look like much effort went into this (sorry if there was), and as such, I don't feel like giving much exposition.

Overall: 8/20

Originality: 2/5

Cookie cutter apart from offensive regular Blastoise.

Use Of The Theme: 3/5

Healing Wish Shaymin isn't too effective on the team, as the main sweeper is Slurpuff and it's a sweeper that will only have one chance to sweep throughout the match anyway. Healing Glalie is beneficial, yes, but it isn't really using Shaymin's self sacrifice to full extent imo. Glalie's Explosion on the other hand grants a free switch-in for Magneton, which is usually on Steel-types that Glalie lures in. That gives you the points here.

Despite a cool team structure and how it sets Slurpuff up to sweep. The team has many issues. The first is how the description and match say there's an Entei but the actual team shows a Chandelure. I will be judging the team I'm shown. Regular Blastoise with max Special Attack isn't too viable as the only viable regular Blastoise is defensive tbh. Anyways the team is swept by Dragon Dance Salamence, especially Iron Tail variants, the removal of Entei (your priority) further stresses this point. In hindsight, it's swept by every Dragon Dance user in the tier. The team also has next to nothing for EQ Mega Aero, having to use Slurpuff and a healthy Blastoise to check it. Also a lot of wallbreakers look like they destroy the team.

Overall: 10/20

Honestly speaking, I was a bit disappointed by the dishes served this round. Nevertheless though, can't wait to see how the others judged and what ingredient comes out next round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)