Is Deoxys-S still controversial?

People complain about Wobbuffet daily since evidently it's no fun or whatever, but Deoxys-S just seems forgotten and is sitting very uncomfortably in Limbo. We're supposed to be discussing the role of both of these Pokemon, and it currently isn't getting any discussion which suggests that no one actually cares about it.

Barring any remaining objections, I propose Deoxys-S be moved down to OU out of its Limbo status. It was a stone's throw from BL in February, and though its usage improved a bit in March, it's still very low. The separation between good and bad players using it as indicated by the comparison between weighted and unweighted statistics being compared is very low which suggests that smogon's lack of a position isn't having a large impact on its low usage (most bad players don't use smogon). There's no evidence that it's centralizing the game to any serious degree or even having much of an impact on the game at all which is the complete opposite of what you'd expect to happen if an uber were let free in standard. I believe it's pretty important that we be actively working to resolve the Limbo status, and I feel as though since Deoxys-S evidently isn't even controversial enough for anyone else to be discussing, that it's not controversial enough to warrant the continuation of its status in Limbo.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not really a fan of "limbo" anyway. Either you can use it in OU (in which case it's OU or less) or you can't (in which case it's uber). There's nothing saying that once a Pokemon is placed in OU it cannot be moved back up if it proves worthy of banning.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So following that there should be no problem putting it "officially" in OU for the time being, and if it proves to be "uber" "again" we can reban it.

Maybe officially putting it in the OU tier is what some people need in order to use it, maybe not...but as AA said, striving to resolve our Limbo Tier should be one of our top priorities.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have barely played on Shoddy since forever, so I can't comment. I just wanted to say that I agree with AA about focusing our efforts on the two Limbo Pokemon so that they are resolved into a proper tier.

I wouldn't know what's left to discuss about Deoxys-S. Wouldn't mind it in OU in the slightest, and if I did I would notice when battling. As it is, it seems to be sliding towards BL.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AA is right, the controversy surrounding it has come to a screeching halt and I'm not sure that moving it to OU would cause any commotion. Like Mekkah said, it's practically BL in terms of Shoddy usage stats. Moving it down on the Smogon tier list seems like the very last resort in trying to see if it is still "uber" or not, as doing that will likely increase its usage to the point where the community can make a final decision. Although I personally feel that it is broken, if an overwhelming portion of the community is accepting of it then I don't see why we should go against the people who are actually playing.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, seriously, just let this guy be OU for now, it's the only way to see if people will actually use the thing. The only time when it was ever really seen much was around the time it was unbanned on shoddy, and then it just had a huge nosedive, and its lifeline has basically stopped. I mean, it's a good pokemon and all, but people have just forgotten about the guy now.

On another note, when you compare the amount of discussion threads for Wobbuffet to the amount for Deoxys-S, and look at the actual intelligence of the posts in them, you'll probably see that Deoxys-S truly does deserve to be in OU based on usage, discussion threads, and his overall niches there. His niches just aren't threatening enough anymore.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll move this down tomorrow (just posting so people realize I'm going to do something).

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I agree that we need to move Deoxys down into OU so everyone looks at Deoxys the same way. If it is truly Uber, then its usage should reflect that once people aren't so edgy about using it at all. As it is, the Deoxys-E controversy has paled in comparison to Wobbuffet - there's really no reason for it to remain Uber at this point.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I guess a new analysis needs to be written up for it to make it a more OUish analysis. Should we just use Colonel M's old analysis from a little while back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)