Is Future Sight Usable?

I've always liked the move Future Sight, ever since GSC, but I've never seen it used in competitive play. Is it usable at all? And on what Pokemon?

It hits everything neutral... and it has weird accuracy for some reason. Oh, and is its power raised/lowered with stat changing attacks like Calm Mind or Captivate?

Future sight COULD work, but in general it's just too slow and weak. There are some interesting scenarios though: if your alakazam has enough CMs under its belt and catches a low special defense poke - say, rhyperior, your opponent will be unable to switch to their special wall without it taking major damage. Of course, that scenario doesn't make much sense - no one would switch rhyperior in on alakazam after a few CMs when they have a special wall - but there are instances.

Used correctly, it can force a switch to their special wall (aka Blissey or Cresselia on 95% of teams), and you can use that turn to set up or Focus Punch Blissey. It's very strategic and takes some skill to use, but yes it's very much usable.

DP research thread said:
[NAME]
Future Sight ***
[SHORT DESC]
Deals damage at the end of the turn after two turns.
[LONG DESC]
Deals damage at the end of the turn after three turns.

The damage is based on the Special Attack and Special Defense at the time of using Future Sight, not at the time of striking. Life Orb does not boost Future Sight's damage, nor does the user receive recoil damage.

Future Sight is technically typeless, so it does not get STAB, and hits all Pokemon neutrally. It hits through Wonder Guard. Because it damages at the end of the turn, it is not blocked by Protect or Detect, and can KO a Pokemon that used Endure. If the target uses Protect on the turn Future Sight is selected, however, that will count as a successful Protect against Future Sight.

Multiple Future Sights cannot be queued for the same Pokemon. Future Sight must hit the target before it can target that Pokemon again. It uses the same queue as Doom Desire, so they cannot be stacked together.
Yes, it is affected by calm mind/nasty plot/etc Basically, what happens is the pokemon that is out at the time is hit with the damage that the original target would have taken.

IE: Future sight against a pichu
Pichu switches to shuckle.
The amount of damage that shuckle takes is taken as if its sdef were the same as pichus at the time of the attack. (Sdef could have been lowered AFTER the attack, but it'd make no difference.)

Use future sight against a cresselia, and then they switch to a pichu,
Pichu will take the damage as if its sdef were the same as cresselia's at the time of the attack. (Sdef could have been lowered AFTER the attack, but it'd make no difference.)

I think it's a wonderful move, and you could always go: future-sight against a low sdef-pokemon then pull something like leaf-storm/overheat/psycho-boost and still do non-reduced damage to the pokemon after it. I also like the fact that you can do damage on the same turn you switch.

well its nice because even if you switch out or the poke that used it faints, then it still hits so you can use it switch out to something else, and you might be able to hit something that has a lower s.def for good damage even if you have something with lower s. atk out.

what I don't know however if is when it hits (two turns after you actually use it) if it is determined by the s. atk of the poke that used it or is out currently(assuming they aren't the same)

Future sight works on the pke it's used, if it would do 100% to a lvl 1 ratata and they switch out to bliss bliss gets OHKO'd because it'd do 100% against the ratata you used it against.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shiny Crobat, that makes it sound like it does the same %, which is false. It would OHKO your Blissey if it targets a level 1 Rattata because Rattata has such a low Special Defense that you would theoretically do in the thousands of damage if it weren't capped by max HP, which is sort of how Future Sight works.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Shiny Crobat, that makes it sound like it does the same %, which is false. It would OHKO your Blissey if it targets a level 1 Rattata because Rattata has such a low Special Defense that you would theoretically do in the thousands of damage if it weren't capped by max HP, which is sort of how Future Sight works.
So does it work like a normal attack with the normal damage formula, except it uses the attack and defence stats of the pokemon who were out at the time??

For example, lets say it'd do 1000 damage factoring in the damage formula (probably more, but its just an example) against the Rattata from your example, and Bliss is switched in. Does Bliss take 1000 damage??

i have experimented in past against low sp.def pokes then whirlwind/roaring them out
it works...although its hard to predict with and may be a waste of a turn if the opponent is smart...

it could be like a pseudo jirachi

gardevoir
future sight
wish
protect
hypnosis

use the three moves in that order, and in one turn, you'll damage, recover and be immune from your opponent
do that once, and the second time you use the combo, they'll know you're gonna switch turn 3, so you hypnosis the switch instead

so i say its useable, kinda hard to pull of though

There was quite a cool Jirachi set in Advance which used Doom Desire / Body Slam / Wish / Protect, I suppose this would work in the same way. Since Doom Desire is special now, I've been looking for a Modest Jirachi to run Doom Desire / Charge Beam / Wish / Protect. Charge beam for the 100% chance of sp. attack increase...

Sorry if this is a litte off topic - My point was that it works well with protect and wish - Togetic anyone? It's got serene grace as well... wish/future sight/Protect/Air Slash or Tri Attack or filler?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So does it work like a normal attack with the normal damage formula, except it uses the attack and defence stats of the pokemon who were out at the time??

For example, lets say it'd do 1000 damage factoring in the damage formula (probably more, but its just an example) against the Rattata from your example, and Bliss is switched in. Does Bliss take 1000 damage??
Yes.

There was quite a cool Jirachi set in Advance which used Doom Desire / Body Slam / Wish / Protect, I suppose this would work in the same way. Since Doom Desire is special now, I've been looking for a Modest Jirachi to run Doom Desire / Charge Beam / Wish / Protect. Charge beam for the 100% chance of sp. attack increase...

Sorry if this is a litte off topic - My point was that it works well with protect and wish - Togetic anyone? It's got serene grace as well... wish/future sight/Protect/Air Slash or Tri Attack or filler?
Obi made that Jirachi set, iirc. Serene Grace has nothing to do with anything when it comes to pulling off Doom Desire/Future Sight though. Maybe for the occasional Air Slash flinch, but that's about it.

I can see Alakazam pulling off Future Sight fairly effectively if the opponent tries to scout for Trick.

[NAME]
Future Sight ***
[SHORT DESC]
Deals damage at the end of the turn after two turns.
[LONG DESC]
Deals damage at the end of the turn after three turns.
Something seems a little odd there.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
A long time ago, I had been considering future sight on stuff like specs Kazam/Mewtwo etc. whereby you use future sight on the expected Blissey/Cressilia switch, then switch out to induce another switch so something else with low special defense takes the hit.

The damage is based on the Special Attack and Special Defense at the time of using Future Sight...
But this is what kills the idea; whatever you hit with future sight, the calculation will use Blissey's/Cressilia's special defense. Therefore the move has little competitive value, though Familiar Trainer makes a valid situational point.

Well people will most likely switch Bliss in as soon as they see a Zam or something, but a poke like Slowbro could work well getting Focus Punch to work with as well, or something like the DP trio that can threaten from both sides. Jirachi seems to be the best candidate, but it learns Doom Desire which is about 100% better.

I think- Correct me please, if I'm wrong- that Future Sight deals the same damage as if it hit the turn that it was used. Ikaeru agrees. Then why does everyone say "Well, it's unuseable because Bliss/Cress comes in and takes little." Used against Azelf or something (low Sp. Def), then you switch to Bliss only to have it killed because it's like hitting Azelf/etc.! I don't understand some of the replies.
Now as to the move itself, it's OK because if you use it against a low Sp.Def pokey that's going to die from the hit something will die. If it's Bliss, problem solved. However, it can really be a waste because of no STAB, waste of turns, and expert maneuvering. I tend not to use it. Meh.

I think- Correct me please, if I'm wrong- that Future Sight deals the same damage as if it hit the turn that it was used. Ikaeru agrees. Then why does everyone say "Well, it's unuseable because Bliss/Cress comes in and takes little." Used against Azelf or something (low Sp. Def), then you switch to Bliss only to have it killed because it's like hitting Azelf/etc.! I don't understand some of the replies.
Now as to the move itself, it's OK because if you use it against a low Sp.Def pokey that's going to die from the hit something will die. If it's Bliss, problem solved. However, it can really be a waste because of no STAB, waste of turns, and expert maneuvering. I tend not to use it. Meh.
Because chances are your opponent is not going to leave their Pokemon with low Special Defense in against your Azelf/Alakazam/Gardevoir, Future Sight or not. The most common response would be your opponent immediately switching to Blissey/Cresselia/Spiritomb/etc. Alakazam can mess up those Pokemon with Trick though, which is why it's probably the only Pokemon that can make any use of Future Sight. Jirachi could probably use Doom Desire, but only to a certain extent.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I did try to make this for Dusknoir, and possibly Dusclops, however, maybe it might interest you I guess.

Name: Future Sight
Attack 1: Future Sight
Attack 2: Calm Mind
Attack 3: Ice Beam / Shadow Ball / Protect
Attack 4: Shadow Ball / Pain Split
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Quiet / Relaxed / Sassy
EVs: 252 Attack, rest to be determined, however, I recommend to invest more into Defense since you have Calm Mind.

Now this might interest you. Even with 65 Special Attack, it makes use of it. Since we have Calm Mind, Shadow Ball comes to mind for STAB. Basically, set up a couple Calm Minds, then use Future Sight on someone that has weak Special Defense (so don't aim for Blissey). With this, this should at least dent some Pokemon while you Shadow Ball away. Sadly, the only answer against Skarmory is Ice Beam, however, it should dent him well after some Calm Minds come to play. You may want to run Protect as well, to help with Recovering if you don't want to rely on Pain Split so much, and also can Scout... somewhat.

You can try to use a Hidden Power instead of Focus Punch, however, this requires you to change your IVs greatly, so just a reminder possibly.

Actually, you can try your luck for Charge Beam over Calm Mind, however, it's a little risky. I'd just take Calm Mind over it.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think Jirachi with Doom Desire is a great idea, because the most common Jirachi these days (Wish, Reflect, U-Turn, Zen Headbutt) is purely physical, so it won't attract a Blissey switch in. I think I may try this on Shoddy and see how it works.

ya nothing really likes taking a 120 bp move (even non-stabbed) off jirachi's 100 base SpA. if you could pull it off it'd essentially nullify prediction since nothing's going to take minor damage from it if used vs something with average/low defenses.

what would be cooler is if you could run a set that could really scare blissey (add drain punch? i dunno heal is cool but iron head same power), THEN use doom desire as blissey switches. if jirachi could get rock smash that'd make blissey run screaming for sure.

Stallion

Tree Young
Iron Head also for the 60 % flinch on Blissey, which is always good. This could be a good set to come up with, I'm gonna start running damage calculations for it.

The best way I would have used Future Sight is in your typical TSS team. Stack your Stealth Rocks and your Spikes, Toxic as many things as you can, and obviously have your Sandstorm out.

Now here's the fun part, with Celebi, you can just keep Leech Seeding and Future Sighting all day. Not only will Celebi create switches for 37% on most grounded Pokemons, the hit of Leech Seed brings another 12% and a random Future Sight will hit them, as most people probably won't be too ethusiastic to count how many turns have past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)